User Tag List

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree1924Likes

Thread: May 2020 Frugal Chatter Thread

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

i have buds on trees as well. more seeds, and plants coming in within the next 2 weeks. fingers crossed.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning Everyone,
    We did what is hopefully our once a Month shop at Costco yesterday, I will post more on this later as I am about to go into a meeting. I think this will work for us and become a little less of a "Okay, I want to Faint" after a couple of months once we are stocked up on a few things. This time other than fresh very few items were the same items we bought last time.

I think this weekend is going to be a cooking weekend, even after our shop we still have quite a bit of room in our Chest Freezer, so I can fill it up with pre cooked meals. Even though we are home we still have days where dinner is a panic.

Kind of shocking last night, Mom brought up cleaning part of the basement. She feels if we are going to once a month shopping, we need to plug in our second fridge but currently blocked in, in the basement. So now she want to clear that area which I am all for, but it will be a lot of work. I think we will start that next week, this weekend I think needs to b food prep.

Have a Great Afternoon Everyone, off to join my meeting.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Today my DH got a call saying he will get a call next Wed from the surgeon-he is waiting for a hip replacement so hopefully this means his name is moving up the list. AB will be starting up elective surgeries again next week which will be great for all those waiting in pain.
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

ok, independent is not delivering . so i will need to go there and get my moms stuff.
    tomorrow i am picking up gadenring stuff for her as well.
    she will see lots of me...
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    or Swagbucks
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Giseledta View Post
    ok, independent is not delivering . so i will need to go there and get my moms stuff.
    tomorrow i am picking up gadenring stuff for her as well.
    she will see lots of me...
    Hope she greets you with lots of tea waiting for you and hugs! I read that gardening centres could be opening up on Monday if they can deal with the physical distancing protocols.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Rain was not falling when I met my friend for some online time and chat today. So warm and sunny! I ended up buying today's Toronto Sun and liked seeing what programs are being promoted on the streaming channels. I have the sense that this first weekend of May is like the long-awaited spring long weekend for everyone.

My head seems to think that something in the sky is coming, hence a headache and day two of ache in hand. I've eaten two smaller afternoon meals (and had breakfast) and want to avoid a nap today. The curtain needs to be finished and hanging so I can eradicate the fluffy cotton lint from the flannel lining.

Sent off an order for a printer today and I expect it on Monday.

Bakers in the Hamilton area- Trayners.ca (downtown Hamilton) is now open to public sales (via Visa card) for flour, salt, sugar and yeast. See their Facebook page for order/pickup protocols. I could not find a price for yeast on their website (only saw yeast as part of mixes that are not part of public sales).

Pleased to hear some positive small steps to retail reopening in Ontario. The garden centres are going to be very popular!
    Giseledta, barbis9 and lilo0003 like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Like others I miss the cheap eggs at SDM. we use 2dozen a week. I ordered another garden box from Costco and a big bag of soil. We are going to add a third raised bed to the yard. Now to decide what else to grow. Maybe potatoes and onions. I currently do tomatoes, kale, peppers and lettuce. Any ideas.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Garden Centers and Nurseries can only open if they can offer Curbside Pick Up or Delivery. Which kind of confuses me, were they not supposed to be open before, as I know most of ours are open for Curbside Pick Up and Delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Hope she greets you with lots of tea waiting for you and hugs! I read that gardening centres could be opening up on Monday if they can deal with the physical distancing protocols.
    Below is the list from the press release of what can reopen:

The Ontario government announced that as of Monday, May 4 at 12:01 a.m., some businesses and services will be able to resume operations. This includes:

• Garden centres and nurseries with curbside pick-up and delivery only

• Lawn care and landscaping

• Additional essential construction projects:

• Shipping and logistics
      • Broadband, telecommunications, and digital infrastructure
      • Projects that supports the improved delivery of goods and services
      • Municipal projects
      • Colleges and universities
      • Child care centres
      • Schools
      • Site preparation, excavation, and servicing for institutional, commercial, industrial and residential development

• Automatic and self-serve car washes
    • Auto dealerships, open by appointment only
    • Golf courses and marinas may prepare their courses for the upcoming season, but not open to the public

I have heard from some people who work retail that their bosses have told them even if Ontario start to reopen they will not consider re opening stores before June. Also some are being warned that stores even if allowed to open will be going to curb-side pick up only when they "re-open." I understand this, more than likely we will remain curb-side only as, as long as social distance has to happen we would have to put someone at the door the control the number of people who come in and in most of locations we would be limited to 1 or 2 people in the showroom max. It is better for us health-wise, business-wise and for efficiency to stick to Curb-Side for the time being. We can serve more customers using our current model than forcing them to stand in line and wait their turn.
    Last edited by SassyAshley; Fri, May 1st, 2020 at 07:58 PM.
    Giseledta, barbis9 and Ciel like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Ok, I think my day is over. I had 3 meetings today my last one which is always my long one (we have this meeting twice a week) was almost 2 1/2 hours, we ended around 4:30. My back is really bugging me but I think it is from sitting on my bed, since our main level is open concept I attend all of my meetings in my bedroom so Mom does not have to listen to them or sit here with the TV off.

So we did our monthly Costco shop yesterday, it went well. I can only think of 2 things we did not get which were Zucchini, they did not have any and Asparagus as they raised their price and I just could not justify the new price.

They are no longer limiting Chicken so we got 2 packages of Chicken Breasts but they are still limiting Ground Beef so we only got 1 package.

I also bought a Pork Loin, we were going to buy Pork Chops but for $21 I would get 10 or 12 Pork Chops or for $30 I could get a whole loin. We have already cut up the loin and 18 Pork Chops (9 meals) and 5 bags of Pork Chunks. So for $30 we got 14 meals.

I also grabbed a cheaper cut of Beef as normally when Roast go on sale Cheap I buy them and process them into Strips and Chunks (I LOVE pre cutting our meat so we just need to pull the bag and cook. The beef has also been cut up we got 5 bags of Chunks and 7 bags of Strips so all and all for $30 we got 12 meals.

The whole package of Ground Beef has been turned into Burgers package was $18 and we got 14 Burgers, so 7 meals.

We still need to break down the 2 packages of Chicken Breasts, plus Mom grabbed another package of Chicken Wings, we will do these tomorrow.

All and all we spent somewhere between $130 to $150 on meat and so far we have 33 meals and still have more to process.

Some other items from our shop:
    Voltaren (sp?) Mom uses this, it was on sale $18.99 and I got 2 large tubes and 1 travel size, normally on sale for 1 tube we pay anywhere from $13.99 to $15.99

Grab a Box of Rubbing Alcohol so when we are out of our current Hand Sanitizer, I can make more. It comes in a box of 4 bottles which we will never used, I offered to share with the fam but no one wants any. I got 4 bottles for $10.99 vs I have seen most stores right now are selling 1 bottle for $8.99

A Large jug of Mr Clean Cleaner, I use this for the bathroom and floors, at the grocery store I got 2 regular bottles for $6, I got the large jug for $7.50

Toilet Bowl Cleaner, normally I look for it on sale $2 or less a Bottle I got 4 bottles for $7 something

Toilet Paper, our store had TONS of stock and is now limiting 3 per membership, we only grabbed 1, that will last us probably 3 months

For produce I got Romaine (always buy at Costco), Cucumber (3-Pack $3.49, normally I guy for $0.99 or less), Bag of Long Sweet Peppers (On sale $4.99, from my quick count it looks like there are 8 to 10 peppers in the package), 2 x Mushrooms ($4.49, so $0.50 per package more than I pay at No Frills, but they last so much longer), 1 x Portobello (5-pack, no idea on price we always buy at Costco so much cheaper), 1 x Carrots (10lbs $5.99 more than I want to pay but lately everytime I buy them at a Grocery store they go bad in a week), 1 x Celery ($2.99). All and all enough to get us through the month, the last week or two will mostly be frozen veggies. I did not buy any Frozen this trip as I am still stocked up.

I did not get any fruit, it was really expensive but I did grab a bag of Frozen Peach $3.49 and a Large Bag of Mixed Berries (cannot remember the price but cheaper than the grocery store).

Also got 1 Old Cheddar 1.15 KG and they did not have Kirkland Mozzarella but they did have a 2.2 KG brick which worked out to the same price. I am hoping based on what we have and what I bought next month we won't need cheese.

Then we grab some regulars like: Milk, Half & Half, Baking Powder (WOW this is cheap at Costco), Bacon Bits, Parmesan (didn't need right now but wanted to make sure we are now stocked for a good 3 to 6 months), Sour Cream, Yogurt (Trying to find one Costco Carries that we like, it is a must have in our house), Eggs (with all the baking and eggs not being on sale best deal for 30 eggs).

I spent more than I wanted to but again I had not planned any cleaning supplies, frozen fruit I was going to wait on and the Pharmacy stuff we use but was an impulse buy based on price but all and all I am happy with our shop. In our last 2 shops there are a number of things I bought that will last us 3 to 6 Month (or maybe more on some items) so hopefully next month the total will come down a little bit. Right now I am right around on budget but if we shop before next month I will be over, but with this being said Mom did give me money for some of the groceries so now I am under budget.

Tomorrow we need to package the Chicken as well as put the stuff away that did not need to go in the fridge or freezer. I had planned to put the other stuff away today but between meetings and trying to read this book (I was at 58% when the meeting happened and this included I got up at 5 am and read for 2 hours before I started my day) none of it got done.

Alright off to write a plan for tomorrow. Have a wonderful night everyone.
    Last edited by SassyAshley; Fri, May 1st, 2020 at 08:38 PM.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

i survived the independent . it was actually very, very well orgaised. and calm. i got everything but fresh ginger. i pkged all teh meat down. very happy.

home and resting forthe night, tomorrow. i get the plants . bring them to my mom ect ect. goal is to work in the yard after.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    or Swagbucks

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Took a long walk home after an evening stop to feed the ATM to cover planned spending. I brought along alcohol wipes for keys and slots and anti-static cleaning ones for screen before and after transaction.
    I realized that there appears to be less litter on the ground in the more built-up areas but ditches and road shoulders still have bags and more. City must have cut back some branches and shrubs along water ditches to increase visibility from sidewalks to roadways/allow more sunshine through. Saw three birds perched on orange construction sign-odd sight. I did not get targeted by a flicker as usually happens along the road.

Different Ontario communities are cracking down on those not observing physical distancing and car/vehicle parades of over 5 vehicles.

Twitter post found from Healthy Canadians regarding a product recall for a certain brand of LED drivers for pathlights:
    https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recal...72903r-eng.php

Have a light laundry load in the washer so that it can be hung to dry overnight. Headache is still kicking--wondering how bad or light tomorrow's rain will be. My hand seems ok now. I expect to sleep tonight due to the fresh air I had on my walk.

May is off to a promising start!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

good afernoon. Ankle is in pain, rain is coming.
    went out got my mom her plants, will need t go back next week for the rest. ordered my dogs special treats. just got told they are ready.. so we w ill go and get them soon. then home.
    worked in the backyard for a bit.

prob do housework this afternoon, and rest.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    or Swagbucks

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

afternoon -this woke up and was hungry -only had rice last night (that is one item hard to find online just long grain white rice )and applesauce .So thinking I felt better made hardboiled eggs and peameal bacon this morning for hubby and I ,then I had blueberries with a bit of cream .

Tried to go back to sleep at 9.30 a.m but someone at 9.45 decided to cut their lawn -ugggg
    Well I guess I have a tiny bug so will go back to rice or banana.

I was a little upset and crying this morning ,this is hard as I am mostly a family person ,I don't have a lot of girl friends a few .
    So those of you that have kids or teens or adult children at home enjoy them .Well glad i got that out ,now on a positive note I did my eyebrows this morning and put a bit of makeup on as it made me feel better ,oh and had a nice warm bubblebath .

I really enjoy chatting on here by the way -thanks for listening everyone .
    Last edited by coupon girl; Sat, May 2nd, 2020 at 12:21 PM.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Me: Where did my favourite thread go?
    Also me: Oh yeah, it's May!

lol
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Good afternoon all
    It’s a lazy day for me . I have a headache so I am resting on the couch. My DH is home for the first time on a Saturday since Covid 19. Where as he never used to work on Saturday and since his hours are long I am being quiet so he can get some much needed sleep. Still have some dishes to do and laundry to put away.

Will go shopping on Monday to get some meat for the freezer and there is a sale on whole chicken nice price to stock up. since the weather is getting nicer we will be doing more BBQ for dinner and my Dig get wet food at dinner time which we make ourselves.

enjoy your Saturday all
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information