User Tag List

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree1924Likes

Thread: May 2020 Frugal Chatter Thread

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

This afternoon, I realized the current watch battery is faulty. The arms showed it was 4:20pm despite it really being closer to 6:20pm. Since the watch strap too was shedding its look, I decided that the watch will go into recycling and the battery into the sandwich bag for malfunctioning or depleted batteries. Not going to shop for a new watch now. Had enough drama with this watch despite loving to have a watch I could use.

The Bay let me know that one of the Nautica beach towels I was looking at is on sale this weekend. No, I have to pass on the deal.

I was unable to get the Youtube feed for the cherry blossoms to work. Guess it was location-restricted for local residents to watch.
    barbis9 and coupon girl like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Giseledta View Post
    grocery prices are killing me. seriously... i simply go .. ok. and pay what i need to . my freezer is 90% full. my pantry is rocking. i am responsable for 5 adults ( my youngest turns 18 in a month) .... and a daycare when i am up and running. i will refuse to increase my dc rate unless things get totally out of control, earliest would be January. equally.. my parents know thier kids eat very well, and i will not comprise on that. They are also currently fully aware of how much food thier child( children) are eating , and thier love of vegtables, and fruit. and real food...

any hooo. i suspect groceries will be high for a bit.

any idea on how to help wth grocery prices...

i am working my garden .. lots of stuff started or planned and lots of containers of stuff.

anyone else....
    ideas,,
    Announce that everyone take turns making dinner from what's on hand so you get a turn to wait for dinner instead of making it. Are all of your offspring willing to help you with gardening?
    Do you have a couple of wholesalers in your area now open to public sales for meats, flour & baking items, fish or produce? Or restaurants selling off their pantry supplies? Also check to see if area farms have some kind of curbside pickup/farm stand or store operation coming up on social media. I recall a recent media segment about how one company that makes a local food product turned itself into a middleman for other area producers to get weekly sales from customers, whose orders got bundled into totes on delivery day and sent out to customers. It was a way to pivot during restaurant closures and ensure producers were making some income and keeping alive.

Even Toronto restaurants in some cases have turned into small one-stop grocery stops now.

My personal issue with shopping-not finding cleaning products I want in the places I shop for food. I usually have to go to two stores to cover most of my list. Some personal care items will need replacing in about a week's time. I have the chance to shop when I see my friend or go another time on my own.

I have to ask Mom and sibling if they intend to try a baking place for yeast supply.
    Last edited by Ciel; Sun, May 3rd, 2020 at 10:59 PM.
    Angela273 and coupon girl like this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

@Ciel one of our local bakers (The Old Post Bakery in Beamsville) was selling yeast. I can't remember how local to me you are. I know you are closer than some of the others.

@johnb56789

I share the sentiments already stated. No one should put you in the middle or make you feel uncomfortable with regards to your sexuality. I hope the matter is resolved in a disciplining matter.

Ah the weekend! Was so nice! Saturday was PJs, lounging and TV. I also did some marking in the evening. Today (Sunday) we played and enjoyed outside. Enjoyed a bit of a book too!
    Last edited by Granger; Sun, May 3rd, 2020 at 11:57 PM.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Dh didn’t sleep well last night, so he had a nap in the early afternoon. When he got up, I went for a nap.

We picked up and vaccuum led the house again. I put away the winter gear. It is accessible if the weather takes a sudden cold turn. Still have toques and thin gloves out. The cubbies look much better now. Dishes are all washed up. I boxed up the for sale items. No takers yet, but still ready to go. Kids all had baths. Dh caulked around the base of the bathtub. I’ll shower in the morning, then throw on the lad of towels to wash.
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 1 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

I received 2 more parcels today only a gazzillion left to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    barbis9 and Ciel like this.
    Live, Love, Laugh

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

I’m addicted to skip the dishes....since I don’t have a car I like the whole ease ability of it it’s cool.

Purdee, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.
    Live, Love, Laugh

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

John - foodland is horrific. ours has the worst social distancing protocal . as in 10 % effort. that is the store, that made my youngest ban me from grocery shopping in person. she has since lifted it for Independent. that actually does huge social distancing and seriously.. going to get a bunch of my shopping budget when this is done. price difference ... english cucumber indepent .99 ... foodland 2.79
    Ceil - that is ugh. hopefully it gets fixed.
    Sassy- you amaze me. just wanted you to know that.
    Greentires- i am in a skip the dishes, instacart dead zone. i know middle child is missing takeout.
    Anglea - hopefully the clothes sell soon, they should

ok Monday.. may the 4th be with you . hubby has 3 meets today. that is ok. it is freezing out. i have cleaning to do .. so will do a bunch inbetween his meetings... lol. during meeting time i can clean my bedroom, and put away laundry... and play on the computer.

2 new recpies for supper today..

https://www.kyleecooks.com/garlic-parmesan-risotto/

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/208080445272744366/

and steamed carrots.

might listen to ford and PM speak today. maybe.

lots of backyard visiting this weekend in my small town, lots.

ok. off to clean my room. hubby has a meeting for a hour. then a hour break... then a nother meeting... ect... ect...ect..
    Last edited by Giseledta; Mon, May 4th, 2020 at 09:11 AM.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Happy Monday! Chilly day compared to the beautiful weekend we had. At least it isn't raining....yet! The sky is dark!

A busy work week for me.

House needs some love. Didn't do anything on the weekend besides ate well and too much! It will be a simple week for food for me. I have food that needs to be used up so will plan the next for dinners around that (broccoli/cauliflower)

I wanted to go to Costco on the weekend but didn't make it. Didn't shop anywhere which is so weird but reality.

Have a great day everyone!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

morning,I got burnt on my shoulders yesterday and a bit on my chest -ahh the leisure of lying in a gravity chair outside listening to my daughter's ipod with a cool drink.I played ring toss by myself -I bought it last year for the grandkids at once upon a child for like $5.00.

Well I only had 5 hours sleep woke up at 3.00 a.m .I watched early this morning a wonderfull movie on netflicks (2 older women(gay couple) that were together for 70 some odd years ,don't remember the name as it was early when I put it on .I enjoyed it thou the one woman lost her brother over the fact (well he is not worth it ,same as myself lost a brother over other reasons in life )

Did a load of laundry ,just now and cleaned out one kitchen cupboard-got rid of a lid and plastic bottle that looked like it had better days plus organized it better.

Last night gave my neighbour(sat on his veranda -then yelled when he went into garage ) 2 tomatoes as he has a family of 5 in his house - I have too many for just me as I bought a cluster from Walmart for $3.20 as apposed to one for $1.40 .

Back in to long sleeves ,cool today.
    Last edited by coupon girl; Mon, May 4th, 2020 at 10:24 AM.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    morning,I got burnt on my shoulders yesterday and a bit on my chest -ahh the leisure of lying in a gravity chair outside listening to my daughter's ipod with a cool drink.I played ring toss by myself -I bought it last year for the grandkids at once upon a child for like $5.00.

Well I only had 5 hours sleep woke up at 3.00 a.m .I watched early this morning a wonderfull movie on netflicks (2 older women(gay couple) that were together for 70 some odd years ,don't remember the name as it was early when I put it on .I enjoyed it thou the one woman lost her brother over the fact (well he is not worth it ,same as myself lost a brother over other reasons in life )

Did a load of laundry ,just now and cleaned out one kitchen cupboard-got rid of a lid and plastic bottle that looked like it had better days plus organized it better.

Last night gave my neighbour(sat on his veranda -then yelled when he went into garage ) 2 tomatoes as he has a family of 5 in his house - I have too many for just me as I bought a cluster from Walmart for $3.20 as apposed to one for $1.40 .

Back in to long sleeves ,cool today.

I watched that Netflix show too! I cried!
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Happy Days! Went to my local garden centre and they had all the veg and herbs I wanted to plant. Picked up all my starter plants and will plant in a few days! Very pleased
    Giseledta, Ciel and coupon girl like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Thank you Giseledta.

I have to say we do not have a Foodland here but one location I travel to has a number a long the way and I have stopped at a few to grab something on way to or from a branch and I have not been impressed with their pricing. Also, wondering if since I find Foodlands seem to be in small towns if they are not taking Covid seriously. Pretty sure moving forward we will not be shopping in small town (which I normally love) until Covid has greatly improved, they just aren't taking this serious. I feel safer to go to the larger town, maybe wait in line but know they are following precautions to keep everyone safe. Going into this I would have thought my feelings would be the opposite stay close to home, it would be safer but no.

I am fully committed to this once a month shopping. I have actually been working on plans to keep us on track as I am thinking about even trying to stick to once a month shopping once this is over. I am really testing this only shopping at Costco although I will admit I miss my trips to the Chinese Market, although once this is over if I can stop buying produce at Costco an buy at the Chinese Market that will only help my budget. Oh so many options.

Also with you no skip the dishes or any of those services here. A good portion of our local restaurants have closed during Covid which I found weird as most of them were take-out only restaurants but I get wanting to stay safe.

Oh, so much cleaning I need to do but today work is kicking my butt, I knew going in today was going to be insane but now it is just crazy. I literally feel like my head is spinning. I needed to take a break as I was just spinning trying to keep up with everything. Alright better get back to work.

Have a wonderful day everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Giseledta View Post
    John - foodland is horrific. ours has the worst social distancing protocal . as in 10 % effort. that is the store, that made my youngest ban me from grocery shopping in person. she has since lifted it for Independent. that actually does huge social distancing and seriously.. going to get a bunch of my shopping budget when this is done. price difference ... english cucumber indepent .99 ... foodland 2.79
    Ceil - that is ugh. hopefully it gets fixed.
    Sassy- you amaze me. just wanted you to know that.
    Greentires- i am in a skip the dishes, instacart dead zone. i know middle child is missing takeout.
    Anglea - hopefully the clothes sell soon, they should
    lots of backyard visiting this weekend in my small town, lots.

ok. off to clean my room. hubby has a meeting for a hour. then a hour break... then a nother meeting... ect... ect...ect..
    Ciel likes this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

I got 4 boxes and 3 letter packets of amazon items and one letter packet in my post box from amazon as well. All delivered by intelcom and Canada post.
    I even received this cool ninja turtles mat.

Giseledta, Purdee, barbis9 and 2 others like this.
    Live, Love, Laugh

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@greentires4me Uplifting bath mat! It will make time pass by in a more fun manner. I'd like a fun mat for the basement as the dark grey memory foam mat matches the hard floor tiles but does not make me thrilled as the wall paint does.

Delivery update-found a credit memo (in my e-mail) for printer and cable (despite note asking for e-mail if either out of stock). I got delivery of the pen refill--I bought the wrong one! Will wait for refund and go online shopping elsewhere for now. Got over my disappointment by raking 2 bags of yard waste-thought there'd only be one bag. Had to nap afterwards.

A friend got to watch 3 episodes of The Mandalorian and she gave me last week's newspapers (happy for both of us).

Laundry is on the go tonight. I understand we are having chilly temperatures this week. Glad my winter coat is on standby (wore it today for most outdoor activity). I will give the garden some love tomorrow (planting, hoeing) in the morning.

I am craving pizza. Why now---not much on hand for toppings beyond the sauce left in the bottle. Maybe I need to buy frozen pizza. Decisions.
    Giseledta and barbis9 like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Evening Everyone,
    Am I only the person who gets really happy when you put everything away after you shop and can stand back and see full nicely organized shelves?

I finally have everything put away from our last shop, it has been a bit of a slow process, one night I did the food that goes in the stockpile room, the other day I did the cleaning supplies and now tonight I did the stuff for the bathroom. I do still need to deal with the meat, it has all been broken down and frozen but we put it in the chest freezer so it would freeze flat. Now I need to gather it all up and put it in the correct bin in the Stand up Freezer.

I have been working all night, good news is I got quite a few orders from my customers today so I have spent most of the evening processing them. One area I still cover is exports (anything going outside of Canada or the US) and we got an export order. These ones take me quite a big of time to process as they order in meters, which I have to convert to feet and then convert the feet to how the product is actually boxed. Then I have to send all of this information to shipping to make sure it will fit in the container but my shipper who normally does this for me is on leave due to Covid-19 (He is not sick) so the manager told me to send it to my bro. We will see tomorrow if I get an answer.

I was supposed to have a super jam packed tomorrow, I have Virtual Coffee break at 9:15, an admin meeting at 10 and then I was supposed to attend a webinar at 2 but that got moved to next week. So at least now only my morning is crazy. Maybe I can still get in a small 30 minute break in the afternoon to try to tackle something around the house.

Mom had ordered some stuff for curb-side pick up today so I took a break and went with her. Just going for a car ride was nice, just to be out. I was almost sad when we got home as it felt like the drive there and back was so much quicker than normal.

I still have work to do but I am getting super tired, not sure if I should try to push through, or just give up and go to bed.

Going to try to get a couple more things done and then it is bedtime.

Have a wonderful night everyone.
    Giseledta, Ciel and coupon girl like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information