User Tag List

Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
Like Tree1924Likes

Thread: May 2020 Frugal Chatter Thread

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Since we do not plan on having a garage sale this year, I have been bringing in boxes from our shed to sell. I dug our boxes of kid clothes today. Sorted, took pics, and put the Lora up for sale. I’ve had some interest but no sales just yet.

edit: I sold two lots of clothes for $110. It’s less than I would sell it for at a garage sale, but 4 boxes of clothes are now sold and out of my house. Dh will be happily surprised.
    I just made another $30 sale.
    Last edited by Angela273; Fri, May 22nd, 2020 at 07:01 PM.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Evening Everyone,
    One meeting today turned into three, it happens. We just redid our website last year but with all the changes Covid has brought to world some of our 3 or 4 year down the road plans are moving to now.

In between my morning and first afternoon appointment I told Mom I would run to the Post Office, she was expecting a package and I will go without make-up, she won't. Turns out she had 8 packages, they literally shipped everything she ordered in separate packages (although one she did not order, it was her Mother's Day gift from bro). Only 1 person can go into the post office at a time, I was 4th in line but waited almost 45 minutes to get in, it was a long wait.

I took my car for a drive. I am wondering about a few stores in our town, they are stores where they are the only store in the plaza and the parking lots were full but there was no line. I think these stores may not be limiting the number of people going in which concerns me. I went to No Frills, there was a line when I pulled in but by the time I grabbed my cart, I got to walk right in no line. I am still disappointed in their covid protocols, this time they had no wipes to disinfect their carts unless you bring your own, I used my hand sanitizer. At No Frills I got:
    2 x My Bread $2
    3 x Potatoes 10 lbs $2
    3 x Peameal $2/lb
    10 x Various Pasta $0.50
    1 x Flavoured Coffee Creamer $2
    1 x 1L Mason Jars (12-pack) $15

We are using the Mason Jars to re organize Kitchen, normally I would not buy them as Mom thinks she has more in the basement but I decided let's just get this done and I decided to pay with points so really in my eyes they were free. I spent $50.65, paid $50 in points so my out of pocket was $0.65.

I still consider this part of my once a month shop, next week is our week to shop and I would have gone to No Frills next week but since I was out today anyways. If this pandemic ever ends, my plan is to stick to once a month shopping but am open to going to various stores to get what we need. I could not pass up $2 for potatoes and peameal considering I need potatoes and last time I checked it $7.99 for 15 lbs at Costco.

When I got home and meeting were done, a few last emails sent, I started to do some stuff around the house. I put away the groceries since I had to basically drop them and prepare to my next meeting (I was no expecting a 45 minute wait at the post office). I also went out and checked our BBQ and for the second year in a row, nothing lived in over the winter. In the past we have had squirrels live in over the winter, we do not have a garage and cannot bring in the BBQ for the winter. Then I just did some general tidying up, there was a lot just laying out and not put away.

I still have some work I need to get done over the weekend, got approval for one of my ideas so now I need to program it which is good news. Then I am off to relax and work on my Costco shopping list and my to do list for the weekend, there is a lot I want to get done.

Have a great evening everyone.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Lovely evening on the deck. I had two zoom calls with friends and planted a few more veg tonight. The younger son has built the new garden beds and tomorrow will fill them with dirt. I am getting up early in the am as the church I bought my plants from has some leftovers to sell and they have kale. It’s the last thing I need for the garden. I may treat myself to a McDonald’s coffee while out. It’s been 10 weeks sone I had a McDonald’s coffee. So imagine the money I have saved.
    Ciel, coupon girl and SassyAshley like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    Lovely evening on the deck. I had two zoom calls with friends and planted a few more veg tonight. The younger son has built the new garden beds and tomorrow will fill them with dirt. I am getting up early in the am as the church I bought my plants from has some leftovers to sell and they have kale. It’s the last thing I need for the garden. I may treat myself to a McDonald’s coffee while out. It’s been 10 weeks sone I had a McDonald’s coffee. So imagine the money I have saved.

we have had take out... 2 times in nearly 3 months... we are saving a ton....lol
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Giseledta View Post
    we have had take out... 2 times in nearly 3 months... we are saving a ton....lol
    I'm close to the same... 3 times since March 17th, but I've been splurging a little the past two days. A 10pk of Timbits after work, with a coupon ($1) PLUS 30Pts/order (Normally 10pts) with the app...

Another little bonus is that at my work, they are continuing the Essential Pay Premium (+$2/hr = $17.35/hr) for another two weeks. It was set to end on May 30th, and all my coworkers and I were certain they would end it, but it is continued until June 13th for now and they will re-evaluate closer to the new end date...

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Same boat here, we have had take-out 3 times and plan is not again anytime soon.

Although I am worried since Mom has gone back to work it will be more of temptation for her to want to pick something up on the way home. She is struggling more with the lack of take-out. She comments fairly often that she wants something that is take-out but I was curbing that with well are you going to get it and the answer was always no. Now I am worried with her being out is she will be like well since I am out.

I have to say it is nice to not be spending the money considering now that Mom is not getting CERB but her hours are next to nothing as they are on modified hours money could get tight. Mom still is not full time but the one full timer she has been talking to is only getting 24 hours a week instead of 40 so with Mom being part time I am thinking she will get 16 hours/week, the 2 days her department manager is off. Managers are still getting 40 hours/week but all other full timers are not.
    Giseledta and lilo0003 like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

We have had takeout only twice ,so that is a savings .

Was up early at 5.20 this morning so did a load of laundry -hung it out not sure if it will dry -we will see.
    Off to shoppers at 8.00 a.m to redeem spent $146.20 after cpns ,seniors discount and 105,000 redemption I paid $35.20 who ho !! A few people were wearing masks ,some still are not thou ,so glad I do .

They didn't have any refill pump soap ,as it comes in she said it still goes even thou their is a limit of 2 ,so I am starting to stock up again
    (2) shower gels soft soap 2.99 only limit of 2
    (2) no name paper towels .89 each for 2 rolls ,they didn't have any bigger pkgs
    (2) kelloggs nut cranberry bars 2,49-1.00 cpn=1.49
    (1) Tropicana orange juice 2.99-1.00 cpn=1.99
    (2) tims k-cups for hubby 12 pkg 11.99-20% seniors 9.59-save 3.00 when you buy 2 pkgs coupon=$8.09 each a treat for him
    (2) purex laundry 3.99 each

plus a few other items face cleanser ,razors etc

and I didn't buy unneeded chocolate .

S o nice to have p.c points in this time for everyday stuff .
    Giseledta, wendymac, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Hi everyone!

Online teaching taking up most of my time! Then, helping my own kids with their work. I am having 25 of 27 students engage in some way and then 50% doing most of the work. I am happy with that. I have been doing live sessions twice a week for three weeks now (there is a lot of controversy over that between board and union but I am just doing what I feel is right and in my comfort zone). I also teach middle school (not kindergarten) so my students are a lot more independent.

I am not really impressed with my own children's online teaching. I do mine by the week and post everything on Monday with a sample calendar to follow. Their teachers post randomly (or so it seems) every day. We are still staying connected but doing our own thing too. It is what it is. I am sure they are doing their best. My oldest and I are making a green screen Lego Stop Motion film. Glad I grabbed the green screen from my classroom.

Hoping to weed the gardens today and maybe get a head start on report cards (that is going to be hard because I already have computer fatigue).

We have two Canadian Tire folding tables and love them. One stays up permanently and is our home school table in the play room. I would say it is almost as sturdy as our oak kitchen table!
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Last night we had takeout for free. I ordered and picked up my 12” pizza from Pizza Hut that I won from the radio contest. I also ordered my free pizza from Dominos by redeeming some points. I picked them up, so no delivery fee.

I picked up 15 tomato plants for $30 from the Farmer’s Market this morning.

Sobeys trip this morning. Redeemed $20 in AM, used $8.50 in coupons.
    Giseledta, wendymac, Ciel and 4 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Today is a perfect warm and breezy spring day. Dreading the higher humidity due to appear later but laundry on the line dried fast this morning. The real May 24 weekend is here! It's also the US Memorial Day long weekend.
    It was heaven to smell the sunshine in the sheets when I put the 300ct set on before I left in the morning yesterday. I needed an afternoon nap and I was glad for the recent nightgown purchase. Speaking of the nightgown, I bought a large and it's too big (should have picked one size down) and my camisole is xl but feels a tad snug (though the body is long-bonus for me).

Glancing at Uniqlo Canada's Facebook page, I noticed that Billie Eilish will have a t-shirt collaboration coming out in two more days. Muji Canada is reopening its West Coast stores and wants customers to also wear masks.

I'm so looking forward to visiting Talize in the near future. Socks are a priority right now and I'm sure I can add to that list.

My friend found a great site online with laptop sleeves, so the site has been saved for a near future buy.

Mom got some of her desired garden plants with brother yesterday but she did not buy much in terms of groceries. I put a list on the fridge to see if she or Bro buy what's on the list.

Ontario's hydro rate holiday ends next Saturday. What fun it has been to live the tiered hydro rate life for 45days+. Reality is going to be tough during peak hydro rate times on weekdays.

I put a June frugal chatter thread up only so I don't forget next weekend. I'll be offline for some days and letting my friend have the laptop for a few days. With the heat coming along, I know I will be have to rest more often.

Speaking of rest, TV Ontario's The Agenda last night had two migraine experts talking about migraines. They both seem keen to talk about genes and such but nothing about people who acquire migraines after injury or accidents. https://www.tvo.org/video/understanding-migraines
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Afternoon Everyone,
    I went full on Meal Prep this morning, I had some stuff I needed to use up. I made:
    Banana Muffins
    Oatmeal Cups (this was a new recipe, not sure I will make them again, all the chocolate chips went to the bottom and stuck to the pan even though I spray it and well, all and all it was just a mess)
    These used up some Bananas that I either needed to bake with or toss, as well as the last little bit of open applesauce in the fridge and a small bag of Swirl Chocolate chips I could not fit in the jar.

Greek Dressing (I used to last of it last week and we like to keep it in the fridge)
    Roasted some Cherry Tomatoes that were past their prime
    Cooked up a Batch of Rice
    2-Bean Salad (Should be 3-bean but I prefer 2)
    Roasted Chickpeas (Only used half the Chickpeas for the Salad so roasted the other half for a nice salt snack, I flavoured them with Garlic and Parm)
    Pasta Salad (Used up a part bag of Pasta we had floating around)
    Beef and Broccoli (had to get a bit creative with this one as normally I beef it up with some mushrooms, but we are almost out, I was going to grab some at No Frills yesterday but theirs looked worse than ones that have been in my fridge for 3 weeks)

I cleaned as I went so the kitchen is nice and spotless, but I still need to make dinner.

I also cleaned the bathroom.

Once I was done, I decided it was me time so I took a nice relaxing shower and now I am watching some Netflix well I try to decide what we will have for dinner tonight.

Hope everyone is enjoying this gorgeous day.
    Giseledta, wendymac, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Yes @SassyAshley it's a gorgeous day.

Recommend everyone check to see if there's a weather alert for severe thunderstorms and hail in their areas. Ancaster might be in line for some of this tomorrow. Save your garden plants by sheltering them just in case. Was just updating my browser and stuff and decided on last check for weather for next week. Then saw the message (not a red alert but who knows by tomorrow).
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

SA-I think your Mum can earn up to 1,000 per month in wages before she loses any CERB-so maybe she will still get some which would be nice for her. I agree with your tactic that if your Mum wants takeout let her go get it and pay for it!! I made a quick trip to Ontario to visit DD and almost home now. I washed my hands lots and stayed healthy.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

my mom made some masks for my brother , so we delived those today. stopped on the way and got a strawberrry milkshake... ... from mcds.. that was a bad choice.
    i worked for bit outside, however did not get enough done.
    tomorrow i will work on the dc rooms. with a tiny bit of motivation, i shold be able to get that done.
    tonight, i will be finishing off the laundry...

i got my chives , and sunflowers seeds started,
    planted my rosemary, and a little basil .

to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I finally found kale and parsley. Not as nice as Costco but I am not going back this month so it will have to do. I spent 92.00 at NF today and this was no meat at all. The plus side is I earned 18000 points. Used 3.00 in coupons and .50 from Checkout 51. DH and I went to Canadian Tire. I was so happy they were doing the Soda steam cartridge exchange. I bought a new broom for the yard, a huge jug of citronella the parsley and grass seed. They is no waiting for a sale now, it’s just get I and get out. but I had $160.00 in points so pretty much wiped them out. Lights are up in the gazebo and we hung up the hammocks for the 1st in years. We used them camping but since sold the trailer and since vacation summer is in the yard I want it as appealing as possible. Dinner was on the deck. A pretty good day.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread Information