User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Does anyone do grocery shopping online?

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

i prefer to shop in person to avoid the hassle of what can & usually will go wrong. plus i can always send my son to pick up grocerys.
    JDI007 likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

Finally got a spot at Walmart online grocery -saved about $25-30 from fortinos online,may try no frills by me online soon .As I don't wish to step into a store due to a health problem last month in march

Update:my fortinos order today was only out of one item"garlic bread" out of 50 items ,so that is great in itself
    Last edited by coupon girl; Fri, Apr 24th, 2020 at 06:55 PM.
    JDI007 likes this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Locally we do not have a lot of options that offer Click and Collect groceries but I did notice a discussion on Facebook regarding this Click & Collect Groceries. The biggest complaint is most people are saying on a good week (really 2-weeks as the average wait in our area for a time slot is 9 to 14 days) that no one seems to get everything they order. Most say on average that they get about 1/2 of what they order.

The part that concerns me most is people have said, yes it defeats the purpose but because the only got half of what they ordered they go into the store because they cannot go a week or two with the groceries they got and are able to buy pretty much everything that was marked out of stock on their order.

Some people say it seems like they skip certain departments, some say they got no meat, other said they got no produce but once they went in they were able to buy everything from their order in the store.

Hopefully things get more consistent, but for now I think I will stick to my plan of trying to shop once a month at Costco.
    Last edited by SassyAshley; Fri, Apr 24th, 2020 at 08:55 AM.
    JDI007 likes this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Locally we do not have a lot of options that offer Click and Collect groceries but I did notice a discussion on Facebook regarding this Click & Collect Groceries. The biggest complaint is most people are saying on a good week (really 2-weeks as the average wait in our area for a time slot is 9 to 14 days) that no one seems to get everything they order. Most say on average that they get about 1/2 of what they order.

The part that concerns me most is people have said, yes it defeats the purpose but because the only got half of what they ordered they go into the store because they cannot go a week or two with the groceries they got and are able to buy pretty much everything that was marked out of stock on their order.

Some people say it seems like they skip certain departments, some say they got no meat, other said they got no produce but once they went in they were able to buy everything from their order in the store.

Hopefully things get more consistent, but for now I think I will stick to my plan of trying to shop once a month at Costco.
    Keep in mind that social media and internet forums quite often make things look worse than they are, mainly because people are generally FAR more likely to report and complain about issues than they are to say that something worked like it should.
    ROMEO likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

For those that live a bit north of the city and are looking for a vegi place that is doing pick up orders, there is a place on Woodbine just south of Stouffville Side Road. My wife just picked up our first order a couple of days ago and it was done on time and every thing was exactly as ordered and the quality was as if she picked the order herself. We have been going to that location for years and even tho they are on the pricey side the vegies last a lot longer than the ones we normally purchase at grocery stores
    Last edited by Thatdone; Tue, Apr 28th, 2020 at 03:40 PM.
    ROMEO and JDI007 like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I understand that but I have also seen the same thing happen with my family who have tried click and collect shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjon View Post
    Keep in mind that social media and internet forums quite often make things look worse than they are, mainly because people are generally FAR more likely to report and complain about issues than they are to say that something worked like it should.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think it's a good idea to compare different grocery delivery services to determine which one comes at a lower premium, but still maintains good quality service.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Grocery Gateway sent info in an e-mail that delivery is now available to Barrie, ON.

I've used GG twice-while I love the products, I don't understand why the delivery person is literally taking 10 min at the truck with doors opening and closing to get my order to the assigned spot. If the products were pulled at the warehouse, should the bags and boxes not just get dropped off in under two minutes? Otherwise, I guess he's assembling the order right at the truck.

I have stopped using Mr. Case. Issue on last order-instead of giving me a refund on out of stock items that did not come in delivery, the company put things on backorder. Thats not what their website says. So thats a change to be alert to. There was a second delivery three days later. There was going to be a last item delivered the following week and I said no. I did like their fruit produce box-slightly different fruit assortment.
    Last edited by Ciel; Wed, Oct 28th, 2020 at 08:40 PM.
    ROMEO and crafter like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have not done “online shopping” for food directly. I did sign up temporarily for one of those companies that do total meal planning.

I did not like it. With a family of 5, I ordered enough to feed everyone, 3 would demolish ...if I picked the right stuff. Had to cook a second time to suit 4 and 5. Too expensive, but convenient, but not worth it for 1 meal.

When I shop, I am picky about certain things.

I have high standards for produce and the cost of proteins is very high. If I do not see high quality in my local store shelves, then there is NWIH I am going to pay for someone else to pick my produce for me...not to mention missing out on all of the deals I get on meat and being able to coupon.

Online shopping is good for a certain demographic, but not where I am coming from. I complain enough to Rogers and Bell.
    I am not going to be further wasting my valuable time on calling Satanmart or Loblaws to BAC about mouldy bell peppers, berries or whatever when I am already paying way too much for that product anyways.

Sorry. I am THAT PERSON that will take expired products up to a manager and then give them a piece of my mind about how the run their stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ROMEO, crafter and Ciel21 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

very cool that Grocery Gateway delivers in Barrie now. I used Grocery Gateway when I lived in York region and wasn't well enough to shop. I found their products to be pretty good quality and any errors were easily corrected and/or credited. It was super handy during the winter with heavy items. Just make sure you sign up for Longos rewards if you use them.

I haven't tried any other food delivery services nor order up. Our DD usually finds 2 to 3 errors in their grocery deliveries using instacart. I would be leary about BB dates as I am picky.
    Ciel21 likes this.
    3.50 125.00 30.00

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I prefer to buy perishables in-person so I can select a product to my suiting. I am very picky about meat quality, and also fruit and veggie quality. I would not non-perishables online if I had to, but typically if I am already in a grocery store, I will buy the non-perishables at the same time.
    crafter and Ciel21 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Perks of online grocery shopping:
    Some items or assortment boxes that are online only.
    Delivery to your door
    Can act fast on seasonal item purchases
    Most online grocery sites offer a discount code for first purchase order
    Benefits in getting points if loyalty program is involved
    Can order holiday meal kits ahead of holiday for delivery or store pickup

Downsides
    Longos.com tends to add 5% to your bill until delivery is done then correction is made. it's to allow for anything that is weighed to be covered but I only bought produce with defined per unit price or by box and never raw meat products (only prepared packaged meats or entrees). This point is important when you are paying by gift card or debit card-allow extra room (believe me, I was concerned when I checked my debit transactions online and saw the bank balance changing by amounts I was not expecting). It has happened with some online store (non-food) transactions as well-holds placed on account.

You ordered an item that is listed as in stock but on delivery date, you read the receipt or e-mail and find out some items were out of stock at time of order picking.

Some search words turn up random grocery finds. At Longos.com, type Magazine in order to find that 400 sheet package of Hammermill copy paper! It won't show up otherwise under dept or category searches.

At Voila.ca, keep trying "Star Wars" or "baby yoda" searches to see if some items are back in stock: Crest toothpaste with Baby Yoda image, the Baby Yoda cookie kit and so on. Once those specialty grocery items are out of stock, they tend to disappear from website but they sometimes come back in season or with restock.
    ROMEO and crafter like this.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I won't be using Longos by Grocery Gateway anymore. The turkey kit pricing on order confirmation was correct but the invoice was showing per item pricing including the supposedly free gravy. Took some effort to get a credit on my account, which I spent in-store (I requested a refund and though two contacts said it was coming, the refund never returned to my card).

Since turkey kits were a big promotion for the chain, I thought staff would be keen to correct the pricing error. I'd advise anyone buying a turkey or porchetta kit online to do so as a separate order, so if billing issues appear, they don't affect any other grocery order you might have with the chain. I still don't have an explanation of how the error happened. Must be a dept silo thing.
    ROMEO, crafter and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Curious to see this headline about the Loblaws/Door Dash partnership. One of the Loblaws banner stores, Fortinos (hello Halton/Hamilton/Toronto) uses Instacart for its delivery services. Shoppers Drug mart was using Pigeon Express to send online orders out to the Hamilton area (is that part of Door Dash?).

https://mobilesyrup.com/2022/06/22/d...-on-instacart/

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have had no issues with my two September Voila orders. Everything I requested (like the day before around 3pm for next day 12-3pm delivery) came and I don't want substituted items. I don't buy items that need weighing at all. Since there's a Sobey store on the other side of Ancaster, I assume my order is coming from there rather than a GTA warehouse. I used to have to pick a delivery date 2-5 days later but I've lucked out with next day times (even a morning delivery).

Tip-in the delivery instructions, indicate if you allow driver to park on your driveway. Our road was busy for some weeks this summer and I did not want the delivery person stuck on the road with truck as cars/trucks/construction vehicles came around the sharp corner (and not slowing down).

I'll be doing a small order next week with Voila for a few things I really like from there with one splurge treat for me. I was checking the website last night and found out had I ordered sausages from the Panache (Sobey's Purple label store brand) tab, I could have only bought 6 sausages instead of the Compliments club pack that was the only option for a sausage variety I like.
    Last edited by Ciel21; Sat, Oct 1st, 2022 at 03:33 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information