User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: 2021 Financial Resolutions...........

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Good day! Started the 2021 thread. I really hope to keep myself on track this year and this thread will encourage me to keep at it.

Plan for 2021 is no silly spending and get the future plan back on track.

My points: ( I treat as cash so no silly spending of points)
    $16.94 CT $ on the card
    4915 Scene Points
    261,900 PC Pts Card #1
    17,296 PC Pts Card #2
    135 Airmiles ($10)

I have $220 Cash in my wallet. This is my fun money. I'm not really using cash at all these days so hopefully I will keep it for down the road.

Started a new sub-bank account for my utilities (Gas(heat) Power and Water & Sewer)
    Putting the budgeted amount excess in the account and see where we stand at the end of the year.
    I budget $100 per month each for Enbridge and Power. $75 per month for Water & Sewer.

From Dec 31st -Jan 14th, 2021 budgeted period I am moving forward
    $20 Gas (for car)
    $70 Groceries

Excited to see my plan in action!
    This thread is currently associated with: Air Miles
    Last edited by Frugalbigmama; Thu, Jan 14th, 2021 at 10:11 AM.
    Ciel, lilo0003, cath007 and 2 others like this.

Who knows ... but I Would Rather Be Someone's Shot of Whiskey, Than Everyone's Cup of Tea
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We closed out the 2020 budget. We were a significant amount under and given a good chunk was TFSA contributions we were very happy with the results.

The 2021 budget will be done in the next month or so. We have a touch point with our CFP in a couple of weeks to review the 2020 results of the investments and then in March we do our 2021 Financial Plan (or rather they do it and we review it with them). Given no vacations again this year the budget and plan for 2021 will again be minimal and should be quite easy we hope to stick to.

Started off the year by an unexpected cost of a new dishwasher but that too will be put into the budget and tracked overall.
    Ciel, lilo0003 and crafter like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoodBoy View Post
    We closed out the 2020 budget. We were a significant amount under and given a good chunk was TFSA contributions we were very happy with the results.

The 2021 budget will be done in the next month or so. We have a touch point with our CFP in a couple of weeks to review the 2020 results of the investments and then in March we do our 2021 Financial Plan (or rather they do it and we review it with them). Given no vacations again this year the budget and plan for 2021 will again be minimal and should be quite easy we hope to stick to.

Started off the year by an unexpected cost of a new dishwasher but that too will be put into the budget and tracked overall.
    Yes the travel account is looking nice and full! At least we can plan where we want to go and look forward to that
    Ciel and lilo0003 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Sounds like you're both off to nice starts @Frugalbigmama and @GoodBoy . It really does make life easier with a budget and/or plan.

For 2021, we've consolidated a couple of savings accounts at an external bank. We're what I'd refer to as "flex-budgeters"
    Property tax-We are now using an account at our main bank for property taxes. We thought that gov't money should go to gov't taxes so we use GST/Triliium pymts towards property tax and auto save the balance.
    Home fund is where Windfalls and savings on monthly utilities go. Our monthly gas bills have dropped down to $83 a month from $120 ever since we got our furnace fan fixed, a huge difference. Our hydro bills have also dropped even usage wise, that doesn't make sense but we have replaced more lightbulbs with LED. This fund goes towards repairs, home items etc.
    The last category is the health fund, money saved from not smoking goes here. Savings from suspending payments at the gym also go there. The funds go towards dental and medical since we don't have have coverage anymore for them.
    **We do however, have coverage on prescriptions with the Trillium drug plan(free), they send us a letter each year with our deductible. We haven't used it yet but it's nice to have in case one of us gets really ill*
    We also have a private benefits coverage almost all other major including travel insurance. It was super cheap 4 years ago and we've only claimed eye exam and one pair of glasses but they keep increasing the cost by 10% each year. We will ditch it in 2022 but it's crazy to get rid of a health benefits plan during a pandemic. We will then put the money into savings ourselves.

Our big focuses this year.
    Water heater contract that the previous owners had is up..since the water is hard here its beneficial to rent vs own
    Possible framing and reinsulation in basement (mix of professional and DH)
    Painting (some by a professional and the rest by us)

Travel wise- I have Airline and Bus credits from last March to travel out to see DD out west
    3.50 125.00 30.00

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

We met with our advisor yesterday and all things considered had a decent year. Our goal is to continue to be aggressive with saving. The plan is to retire from our current high stress jobs at 59 so we have 5 yrs. I am feeling good about the plan. The TFSA contribution is done for 2021 and a huge chunk of cash was added to the RRSP. It was just sitting in a cash account as we are spending very little.
    Our big expense this year would be to replace deck but given the wood shortages of last year we may just wait. We also expect we will have the younger son start college in the fall but he is considering a deferment and he has a full funded RESP so that has little impact to the financial picture.
    Last edited by lilo0003; Wed, Jan 13th, 2021 at 08:32 PM.
    Ciel, coupon girl, crafter and 1 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@crafter I saw the sentence about suspending payments for the fitness membership. Bro is having trouble meeting the 30 day notice by form for his gym when he got the renewal notice over 3 weeks ago. He does not want to renew yet club requires the darn form by such and such a time. I advised Bro to put a hold on his card and contact the two owners (not seen at club in recent weeks) via their social media channels. Owners should not be hiding out to avoid clients who don't see the point of paying for a membership yet are hamstrung by the paper rule to prevent a renewal of membership.
    coupon girl, crafter and GoodBoy like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

That's tricky @Ciel . Yeah your brother should speak with his bank and have the payments stopped (he might be able to do it himself online). Hope he gets it sorted out.
    It's such a hard time for businesses like gyms etc. I stopped going when the risks seemed to outweigh the benefits.
    Ciel and GoodBoy like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    @crafter I saw the sentence about suspending payments for the fitness membership. Bro is having trouble meeting the 30 day notice by form for his gym when he got the renewal notice over 3 weeks ago. He does not want to renew yet club requires the darn form by such and such a time. I advised Bro to put a hold on his card and contact the two owners (not seen at club in recent weeks) via their social media channels. Owners should not be hiding out to avoid clients who don't see the point of paying for a membership yet are hamstrung by the paper rule to prevent a renewal of membership.
    We were on vacation the last week of Feb 2020 and I lost my credit card the last day of our trip. My sister was able to cancel it for me since I wasn't able to call.
    So my gym couldn't charge my card the following week and then everything shut down so at least I wasn't charged for months after like other people I know. Who knew losing a credit card was for the good!
    Ciel and crafter like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

We don't have a budget per se but DH does track all of our spending on Quicken. As long as there is more coming in each year than going out we are good. We are both semi retired.
    Ciel, coupon girl and crafter like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Payday!

Just paid Enbridge. Will wait for the power bill to see what is owed.
    I also pay cell and internet bills this pay. Will wait a few days since they aren't due till Feb anyway.

I have 1/2 a tank of gas. Not planning on going far. And my guy has company car so if we go to Costco he will drive (free gas )
    Hoping I can hold off filling up till Feb.

Food- Still working on the freezer/cupboard stuff. Adding fresh stuff and a few stock items for kids (soup and cereal since home all the time and want simple stuff to eat)
    The goal the next week is to use up the odds and ends in the freezer below the fridge.

Points/Promo cards
    No plans on using the next 2 weeks. Doing minimal spending this month.
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Budget Update!

Food- Spent $260.00 in January. I was honest and kept a tally. WOW! I did use up lots of stuff in the freezer and some of that is stuff still in the freezer and fridge. (We do not need eggs/milk/bread for at least 2 weeks) and I did buy a big container of protein powder that we use in smoothies. So I anticipate Feb will be much lower for money spent on groceries since I am working on using up what we have on hand.

I filled up my vehicle on the weekend and moved $40 forward in gas money. Shouldn't need gas for a few weeks so I am curious to see how long I can go before filling up and building a balance in my gas budget.

Expenses- New starter for my vehicle and new furnace for the house. C'est la Vie! Looking forward to lower heating bills

PC Card #1 328,590
    PC Card #2 20,496

Plan is still not to touch my PC pts and let them build a bit.

Feb- Try and use up food and only buy fresh if needed/deal.
    No other spending needed. No willy nilly shopping.
    It's my oldests birthday this month but I redeemed points in November for the $90 cologne sampler from SDM and give him money. And we will make his fav for dinner and make him feel special
    Ciel and coupon girl like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Mid-month budget clean up!

Bills paid.

Points. No change really. Not redeeming and not spending to earn points

$21.04 CT $ on the card
    $336. PC pts #1
    $20 PC pts #2

New furnace installed and paid for this month. Ouch but now under warranty so no worries for awhile.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

So we finalized the retirement plan and we are moving it up to 57. I have a very high stress job and I don’t have it in my to keep doing this much longer. Covid can be thanked for the earlier retirement plan because working from home resulted in working even more so that’s pushed us into high gear for savings. Everything for the next 3 yrs goes into investments. I also maxed out my RRSP and TFSA this year so I am pretty excited about this new goal.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Who knows ... but I Would Rather Be Someone's Shot of Whiskey, Than Everyone's Cup of Tea
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good luck with the earlier retirement! I have no regrets doing the fabled Freedom 55!
    Giseledta and coupon girl like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

ok, we added 2 house projects to the todo list this year. i know my hubby , i suspect there may be another. .. and i have 1 on my mind.. depending on the costs... as that one will be a dyi.... it is certainly something to think about.

house project 1 - is a outside project. so that already is planned and ready to go,
    house project 2 - is a repair.. but it is indoors. i am not anywhere near comfortable with people in the house so that is on hold until i am comfortable.

the one i want to do .. is outside.. and we would have suplies delivered.. so that is doable

money wise, my income is more stable this year. so that will help .

debt wise , it is going down... not as fast as i want . but hey , it is what it is... i am looking at various ways at getting it lower faster, but there are no quick and easy fixes.......... it is what it is... ya eat a elephant a bit at a time.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information