User Tag List

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree1467Likes

Thread: May 2023 Frugal Chat

Trading Score
    50 (100%)

Happy May 1st to all the frugal chat SCers!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Skippy, JadeAngel, barbis9 and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Quick question.

Hubby got an Visa E gift card that can only be used online of course so I was wondering if there is a “loophole” where I could order something online from say The Bay and return it in person for something other than store credit.

I’d obviously rather use it for things like groceries but no grocery retailers accept pre paid Visa cards or E-cards.

This is a time sensitive issue too which is frustrating.

Thanks for any feedback.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

@harbie , I have never had one that can only be used online.

Is there anything you could order from Amazon, maybe some Pantry Staples? Or what if you did an online pickup order at RCSS or Wal-Mart?

Be careful when ordering online because if the amount of the transaction is higher than the Visa card it will be declined. I have two MCs with tiny balances because there is nothing I can order for that amount.
    harbie, barbis9, lilo0003 and 2 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Afternoon Everyone,
    Ok, good day.

Since I started so early and it now looks like I may have to work late. The reports I could not get to run on the weekend look like they are working now so need to get as many done tonight as I can as they run faster when I am the only one logged in. I have made sure to take a few breaks to get things done.

I have multiple piles of clothes on the basement floor to be washed and then sorted. Some I will keep, some I will sell, some will be donated and some will go to textile recycling. I washed the first load and hung it to dry. Either tomorrow or Wednesday I will go through them and wash the next load. I figure in total there are 4 to 5 loads to be done. Does anyone else wash everything before they donate it?

As well, I am using my 15-minute timer trick, my 15 minutes were not up so I reorganized the top shelf of our Stand-Up Freezer. This is kind of the catchall shelf as the other shelves have bins on them but this one does not so whenever I need to get something in the freezer, I just throw it on the top shelf with a mental note to take care of that later. Those mental notes get you every time LOL.

Just after 9, I ran out to the Post Office as I had not received my Costco Magazine yet with my executive coupons, was really hoping it was there as this time they did not post them on the app. They were there so will cut out the ones I want to use and put them in my wallet to have on me.

I also ran to Giant Tiger to grab Romaine, they had a 3-pack on for $3.97. I did not need lettuce yet but I heard in April the prices were supposed to skyrocket again. So far *knock-on-wood* the prices seem pretty stable but I have heard Costco cannot get Romaine again and when I was there last week they did not have any. So grabbed one which will get me through next week.

Well, I made my lunch I sorted through my clementines as one went bad so I cleaned them and put them back in the produce bin. Just tidied up the kitchen a little bit there was some random stuff on the counter and gave the counters a good wipe down. I still need to empty the dishwasher, will probably do this well I make dinner.

Dinner will be Homemade Tenders with Homemade Wedges and maybe a salad or maybe just cut-up veggies. I had a Salad for Lunch so not sure I want another one with dinner.
    Skippy, harbie, JadeAngel and 5 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

Well dentist is paid in full,just went in paid after 3 payments.They dont let everyone do this either as some newer people have work done and dont pay she told me .

Then cashed a caddle cheque for $25.00 at bank and popped into sobeys a few good deals i got were

(2) bonterra toilet paper i had a raincheck for 4 but they only had 2 on shelf 8.49 buy 1 get 1 free,so paid $4.25 each
    Pears were 1.49 a pound got 4 paid $3.10
    corn was .50 each so got 4 2.00 total
    aussie hairspray on clearance 4.49-50%=2.24
    kashi cereal 5.49 on sale -2.00 cpn=3.49
    oh and lilydale chicken breast meat in the deli was 1.69 a pound over half off=$3 something for my 8 slices.
    Skippy, harbie, JadeAngel and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    @harbie, I have never had one that can only be used online.

Is there anything you could order from Amazon, maybe some Pantry Staples? Or what if you did an online pickup order at RCSS or Wal-Mart?

Be careful when ordering online because if the amount of the transaction is higher than the Visa card it will be declined. I have two MCs with tiny balances because there is nothing I can order for that amount.
    Thanks. It was a promo with Telus and Samsung so it’s new to me.

Unfortunately I checked with RCSS, Save on Foods and they don’t allow you to use prepaid Visa or Mastercards online

I really want to use it for things we need vs stuff we want. Groceries is the grownup thing to do.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Did you try Amazon, Walmart, or Costco? I'm trying to think of places that offer food items that might not qualify completely as an online "grocery" retailer.

Maybe you could buy household needs from Costco/Amazon? I've ordered baking soda from both Costco and Amazon.
    Skippy, harbie, barbis9 and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

I think I may have figured it out. Hubby added it to his Samsung pay so we should be able to just have him tap his phone. I don’t do that kinda payment so I’m hoping it works. I feel so old .

Is it just me or does anyone miss the good old days of physical gift cards, coupons printed by the manufacturer, going to a bank and talking to an actual teller? I do.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

Harbie-i do miss the good old days .I did take a cheque to the bank to cash and talked to cashier.lol.No i dont own a cell phone to take a picture of it hubby and i pay 11.30 a month for a flip cell phone ,so we are so old school.

Not sure if i care about physical gift cards since i was scammed last summer and it took 3 months to get my $50.00 gift card to come to me and it was an e-certificate i had to have printed at the library -yes no printer here either.

My daughter keeps telling us to get with the times ,but hey everything is going up besides groceries ,all of my bills seem to raise a few dollars every month lately .

I just made a lemon ,blueberry loaf.I better go check on it.

You know what we live within our means and i pay my credit card off every month as i am a saver and married to a saver (thank goodness)
    Skippy, harbie, Purdee and 7 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I agree with liking the good old days. We are no longer getting paper flyers here and I sure miss that. My DH takes care of the banking and luckily for me he is with the times! He can deposit cheques on his phone etc-thank goodness one of us can.
    harbie, Purdee, barbis9 and 6 others like this.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Don’t get me wrong, I do like SOME advancements but it just seems to getting more and more of a pain and also easier to scam. Everyone depends so much on digital everything that the second it has a hiccup (or crashes like it did several months ago) we’re all up the creek without a paddle.

So today has gotten better. It started off cold, drizzling and foggy and now it’s sunny but with hazy skies. My motivation has picked up too. I’ve washed and dried 3 loads of laundry (still to be put away), baked a banana chocolate chip and pecan loaf, made a double batch of tofu feta, made a huge pasta salad with citrusy garlic an Greek soy curls, completely cleaned up the kitchen and now having a snack before heading to have lunch with Dh ( he’s at a first aid training today).

Later after lunch I’m planting and adding more soil to my garden and my moms going to join me plus I have to get ready for work tomorrow.

Hopefully there will be some good sales this week since I need to stock up on almost everything that was in the fridge since we cleared it before we went on our mini vacation/road trip to the hairdresser. Lastly I need to meal plan for our week long road trip after the may long weekend.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Good evening,
    not a good month for me....Can this week and month can be over soon please...
    Lack of mental energy and physic energy,weather is not helping with rain all week...and I had a bad news from school..no more financing for me...have to pay by my own...not happy...frustrated....So I do my best to just do my ''day'' the best acceptable I can...
    Have a good night...
    harbie, JadeAngel, barbis9 and 5 others like this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

Well i got my package in the mail today .No i have to return the gap t-shirt way to boxy ,looks awful.Plus the sweater i bought ashlyn was cropped for xmas so that will go back (it wasnt listed as this).My dear hubby said why do you online shop when you have to return,well it is hard .

My sister-in-law has asked me to go to costco with her soon so i will see if they have nice tops if not , will try thrift stores.

So tired watched the girls gave them supper plus did 2 loads of laundry for daughter-in-law .My daughter-in-law told me i could go thru cara,s pjs as she had a few in her drawer that were too small,so i did .

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I am so over this cold dreary weather. At least the grass is really green. Dinner today was fried rice compliments of my son. I had bought a spiral ham on clearance after Easter so that was Sunday dinner. DH has had leftovers for two days and then it will be used for dinner again Wednesday as we hare having quiche. He has chopped up the rest and froze it for future meals of fried rice. Not bad for for a $15.00 ham to feed us 6 dinners plus lunches.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Rescued 3x boxes of Harvest Crunch from compost.
    Skippy, harbie, JadeAngel and 1 others like this.
    My food may not befit a king, but I eat like a horse.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information