User Tag List

Page 1297 of 2550 FirstFirst ... 297 797 1197 1247 1287 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1307 1347 1397 1797 2297 ... LastLast
Results 19,441 to 19,455 of 38250
Like Tree169120Likes

Thread: What's For Dinner?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Cheeseburgers

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

corned beef sandwich and a small piece of pecan pie

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

LOL Crochetlady, have a BIG piece!

Now, cooks, I need some help!

I made soup for supper - first time using that dried soup mix you buy in a bag with the split peas, lentils, beans, barley, etc.

And it didn't turn out great, even using more than the recommended cooking time some of the bits were not edible. (Plus, what's really funny is that now, two hours later, the leftovers look like oatmeal, oy!)

Anyway, just for those of you who can give me hints on this - or I'll never use that mix again - this is what I did.

Bag recipe suggested 1 cup of the mix (it said not to soak, just to rinse) to six cups water or broth. Cook for an hour or til tender.

I first sauteed half an onion and a chopped rib of celery in a bit of oil. Then added six cups of cabbage water (I had blanched cabbage earlier for leaves for cabbage rolls), and the mix. Added some chicken bouillon for flavour. Saw that after a half hour it needed more liquid, so added more cabbage water and bouillon, and a half of a leftover baked potato, chopped up.

At an hour, the broth had a good flavour, the little bits like the barley were done, but not the others. Let it cook another 20 minutes - and left it with the lid on for a while.

So the flavour was decent - but the whole green peas and what I assume are yellow peas were still grainy. Other bits were overcooked, obviously. The beans were just right.

Any help with this? I know others cook with dried products like lentils - maybe what I should be doing is buying products separately and seeking out other recipes?
    I don't want to get fancy, just get more legumes, etc. into our rotation.

Anyway, husband ate most of the pot. I had sandwiches instead, I just had a bit of the soup.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I would have but that is all that was left.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Pan fried haddock and tea biscuits

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

pizzas made on naan bread

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

that x lg. tray of lean gr. beef that was thawed yesterday is now mocking me from the fridge! I can hear it crying " make me into something DIFFERENT! " what? are they sick of Shepherd's pie?

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Next time I make up a tray of ground beef, I want to make a meatloaf where I add stove top stuffing.
    Last edited by padyofurniture; Wed, Nov 26th, 2014 at 06:23 PM. Reason: typo
    Crochetlady and SassyAshley like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Tonight is a lazy night so we are having pulled pork on a bun with oven fries. Love my crockpot

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

My guys want tacos all the time!!! The last 2 large trays of beef I made meatballs and hamburger patties for the freezer

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i'm making chopped hot dogs, mushrooms, yellow potatoes and green peas, which i got on sale at sdm.
    just binding them all together in a frying pan.
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Poor planning, so chicken wings from Sobeys.

Scottishgal
    Trading Score
    480 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Crochetlady View Post
    corned beef sandwich and a small piece of pecan pie
    Love Pecan Pie. Made me laugh outloud when I read your post. Too cute

Scottishgal
    Trading Score
    480 (100%)

Made Chix., gravy, french fries and cream corn for supper last night. I thought it was an unusual combination myself but hey everybody wanted it and thats what they got. LOL. A little lazier tonight so Cream of Tomato Soup and Chix. Salad Sand. on the 1.00 Baguettes from NF's

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    LOL Crochetlady, have a BIG piece!

Now, cooks, I need some help!

I made soup for supper - first time using that dried soup mix you buy in a bag with the split peas, lentils, beans, barley, etc.

And it didn't turn out great, even using more than the recommended cooking time some of the bits were not edible. (Plus, what's really funny is that now, two hours later, the leftovers look like oatmeal, oy!)

Anyway, just for those of you who can give me hints on this - or I'll never use that mix again - this is what I did.

Bag recipe suggested 1 cup of the mix (it said not to soak, just to rinse) to six cups water or broth. Cook for an hour or til tender.

I first sauteed half an onion and a chopped rib of celery in a bit of oil. Then added six cups of cabbage water (I had blanched cabbage earlier for leaves for cabbage rolls), and the mix. Added some chicken bouillon for flavour. Saw that after a half hour it needed more liquid, so added more cabbage water and bouillon, and a half of a leftover baked potato, chopped up.

At an hour, the broth had a good flavour, the little bits like the barley were done, but not the others. Let it cook another 20 minutes - and left it with the lid on for a while.

So the flavour was decent - but the whole green peas and what I assume are yellow peas were still grainy. Other bits were overcooked, obviously. The beans were just right.

Any help with this? I know others cook with dried products like lentils - maybe what I should be doing is buying products separately and seeking out other recipes?
    I don't want to get fancy, just get more legumes, etc. into our rotation.

Anyway, husband ate most of the pot. I had sandwiches instead, I just had a bit of the soup.
    I think it would be better if you bought them separate. I've always soaked dried peas overnight but not barley.

Sometimes when my soup textures are not working out I break out the immersion blender and make it a pureed soup. Leftover mashed potatoes or baked potatoes blended in make great thickeners for soup.

Thread Information