User Tag List

Page 72 of 226 FirstFirst ... 22 62 70 71 72 73 74 82 122 172 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 3376
Like Tree9214Likes

Thread: Last thing you baked?

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

bran flax muffins

and for the FIRST time ever,I didn't grate the skin off my stupid thumbs on the grater when I was shredding the carrots. LOL. Victory!
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Being vegan to my BF is not using or eating anything made from or by an animal. So for example, he won't eat honey, butter, dairy, wear leather or down.
    But there are some vegans who will take it a step further and not eat white sugar as it's refined with animal bone and who won't wear wool from sheep etc.
    Kind of confusing, but it depends on the individual. Then there are raw foodists and raw vegans and the list goes on!
    I haven't really question him as to "why", lol.
    He respects that I eat meat and wear leather and I respect that he doesn't!

Definitly try carob! It's nothing like tree bark, promise. If you like the taste of malt & chocolate, I'm pretty sure it won't taste horrible!!

Quote Originally Posted by lucy16076 View Post
    So...do people who eat "vegan" only eat raw, pure, uncooked foods? Different from vegetarian right?
    Carob chips are pieces of a tree ;P That doesn't sound good...lol...will have to get some from the bulk barn? and try.

And yes....OSSUM is my slang AWESOME! lol...
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by janetta View Post
    Being vegan to my BF is not using or eating anything made from or by an animal. So for example, he won't eat honey, butter, dairy, wear leather or down.
    But there are some vegans who will take it a step further and not eat white sugar as it's refined with animal bone and who won't wear wool from sheep etc.
    Kind of confusing, but it depends on the individual. Then there are raw foodists and raw vegans and the list goes on!
    I haven't really question him as to "why", lol.
    He respects that I eat meat and wear leather and I respect that he doesn't!

Definitly try carob! It's nothing like tree bark, promise. If you like the taste of malt & chocolate, I'm pretty sure it won't taste horrible!!
    lol - I missed stating the obvious -- I think I assumed everyone knew vegan meant no animal products but I remember a time when I had no idea what the word meant. So yep, dairy, eggs, fish, seafood and even honey for the strict vegan are out.

I did not know that about sugar being refined with animal bone I'm vegetarian, not vegan, and I do eat eggs and some dairy. I had just made peace (for the time being) with vitamin D3 coming from sheep's wool, now this!

I still want some lemon pie and apple cake

Silk
    Natalka and lucy16076 like this.
    Have a great life!

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

A carob chip looks exactly like a chocolate chip, you can purchase them in any whole foods market, and sometimes at the bulk markets as well (you just have to be careful at a bulk market if you are a celiac for cross contamination). You can replace them 1:1 with chocolate in almost any recipe. They are not as sweet, and I find the flavour better that processed chocolate.
    lucy16076 likes this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by janetta View Post
    Nope, haven't tried coconut flour yet! Do you use it 1:1 when replacing AP flour?
    I'm assuming it has no taste? BF detests the flavour of coconut, but I adore it. lol
    High in fiber?
    Believe it or not, when you bake a cake using coconut flour, you only use a few teaspoons as compared to a few cups of AP flour. Ot is very dense, and absorbs a ton of liquid. Your batter will be veru soupy in consistancy, and you will think...."this will never turn out", then when you open the oven....IT'S HEAVEN! It's truly an amazing product. I purchase it in a can, like a small coffee can. It lasts a long time.

It's loaded with fiber. The taste is amazing. It can be a touch on the sweet side (depending on the recipe), so the great thing is you also reduce the sugar aspect of your recipe.

There are some great websites out there, and this is one I use all the time.http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/gl...ee_recipes.htm The gluten free pizza crust recipe using coconut flour and cheeze is fabulous. The first time I tried it, I thought, hmmm, a huge mess in my oven of melted cheese, but no, I got a fabulous light pizza crust!
    ninna and lucy16076 like this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

I made myself some gluten blueberry/lime muffins yesterday. First time playing around with a tried and true recipe and they turned out great. I love the taste of limes and I got a wonderful basket of fresh blueberries from the farmers market on the weekend. Mondays challenge, what to do with a sack of grapefruits and oranges, lol
    Natalka, Silk, ninna and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

MIL made a massive apple pudding and delivered it to our house when she brought the girls back today, so I can't take credit for "baking" it, but hot diggity dawg, it was TASTY!!

As for baking, (LOL), I've got all our pumpkin seeds in the oven roasting with butter and salt right now...which, doesn't qualify as "baking" either...but they too will be tasty.
    Natalka and hollyquaiscer like this.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

One pumpkin pie with real whipped cream, 3 dozen large cinnamon buns, 1 dozen mini cinnamon buns, 3 dozen potato scones, 2 loaves of bread, and 2 loaves of banana bread...one pumpkin pie with whipped cream delivered to friends house who needed a pick me up, 3 dozen large cinnamon buns packed up to take to kids' school tomorrow, 1 dozen mini cinnamon buns safely tucked away so kids won't find them till after school, 1/2 potato scones, bread, and banana bread in freezer...time to put the feet up

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
    One pumpkin pie with real whipped cream, 3 dozen large cinnamon buns, 1 dozen mini cinnamon buns, 3 dozen potato scones, 2 loaves of bread, and 2 loaves of banana bread...one pumpkin pie with whipped cream delivered to friends house who needed a pick me up, 3 dozen large cinnamon buns packed up to take to kids' school tomorrow, 1 dozen mini cinnamon buns safely tucked away so kids won't find them till after school, 1/2 potato scones, bread, and banana bread in freezer...time to put the feet up

Did you get time to breath you poor thing. The family better appreciate you for sure! But I do the same, if I'm baking bread, I'll usually do 10 or 12 loaves at a time,, because by the time my dd's and their families take their share, my poor dh may have a loaf left if he's lucky.
    Natalka, ninna, lucy16076 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Today is going to be much cooler here so I am thinking I'll make a few dozen blueberry bran muffins for dh. Even thinking about a few dozen gf peanut butter cookies for moi

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

On the weekend for a delayed Halloween party - Chocolate chunk muffins with cute halloween wrappers
    http://frugalkris.blogspot.ca
    Check it out for my couponing, freebies and money saving experiences!
    Twitter @FrugalKris

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
    Wowsers, that's amazing! I'm so impressed!

I, too, roasted pumpkin seeds - the extent of my baking over this past week, lol!
    However, they are little, smaller than I've ever had and they came from full-size pumpkins, so it must be the variety - takes a LOT of work to get the yumminess out!
    lucy16076 and jaybird like this.

Trading Score
    234 (100%)

I have a couple of questions for all you wonderful/experienced bakers:

1. How far in advance do you start baking Christmas cookies/cakes?

2. I heard that you can freeze cookie dough - can you do the same with cakes? also, how do you defrost it? do you just leave it out to thaw and then put it in the oven?

3. If you can bake weeks in advance, how do you store the cookies/cakes so that they are fresh and soft on Christmas?

Sorry if my questions seem a bit silly but I have never baked in my entire life (other than betty crocker but i wanted to do something special for the kids this year).

Thanks!

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by angel_2011 View Post
    I have a couple of questions for all you wonderful/experienced bakers:

1. How far in advance do you start baking Christmas cookies/cakes?

2. I heard that you can freeze cookie dough - can you do the same with cakes? also, how do you defrost it? do you just leave it out to thaw and then put it in the oven?

3. If you can bake weeks in advance, how do you store the cookies/cakes so that they are fresh and soft on Christmas?

Sorry if my questions seem a bit silly but I have never baked in my entire life (other than betty crocker but i wanted to do something special for the kids this year).

Thanks!
    1. I make and shape the dough a about a month ahead of time, depending on how many kinds I'm making. They go into the freezer, until I decide to bake them up.
    2. Yes, you can freeze cakes. Bake them, let them cool, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and tinfoil or just plastic wrap and in an airtight container or freezer bag. I decorate layered cakes while they are frozen and let them thaw at room temperature! Same goes with cupcakes - remove from tin, cool, transfer to airtight container, freeze. Thaw and frost.
    3. Air is your enemy when it comes to pro-longing the life of your baked goods. So is freezer burn. Freezer bags are awesome, inexpensive and reusable! Read #2.

To store cookies, I make up the dough, line a baking tray with plastic wrap or parchment then shape the dough either into balls (if the recipe calls for them to be flattened a little, do so at this step) or shapes depending on the type. I place them on the tray, cover with plastic wrap and freeze until solid. Then transfer the cookies off of the tray and into a freezer bag. Date and label and add the oven temperature and time.

When it comes time to bake them, cut out cookies are simply put onto a parchment lined cookie tray and baked as directed. I like to let cookie dough balls thaw out at room temperature for about 10 minutes before baking them.
    Silk, hollyquaiscer and angel_2011 like this.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Eggless olive oil white chocolate and cranberry cookies! Crisp and chewy.

Page 72 of 226 FirstFirst ... 22 62 70 71 72 73 74 82 122 172 ... LastLast

Thread Information