User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 20 things you shouldn't buy used

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

list here

I’m an avid garage sale shopper. Most of my furniture was bought used, and I’ve saved more than 50 percent off the cost of some pieces. But a few things I would never buy used – especially if they put my health or safety at risk.
    This thread is currently associated with: Garage
    Natalka, Panthera, sharkie and 1 others like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I agree with not getting the ones which have health/safety concerns.

My son got a great used laptop - the only option for him; he knew the condition he bought it in (it doesn't close, he has fixed it, but has to use it propped up on a chair), and he has to keep reprogramming (?) it - but it's good enough for his uses.

We've also bought tons of used tires over the years; I suppose if you know what to look for, it's all good.

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I get brand name, designer wear for my husband at Goodwill. Men's stuff is just awesome there. . . a few months ago, I got 5 Roots sweatsirts New with tags for $6 each!! If you have a guy tough on clothes (like mine is!) it's an awesome supplement to the wardrobe!
    lucy16076 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Drive to Grove city, Outlet Mall, Pensylvania.. Tomy Hilfiger tshirts are $7 or so, & there are good deal on other products too.
    Now Canada has increased the amount of shopping one can do across the border..

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I'm nervous about buying anything with textiles or fibrous things worn close to the body. Some good friends bought some used baby equipment and think there were bed bugs on one of the fabrics. They ended up tossing out their mattress, futon, and a bunch of other things that would have made it way less expensive to buy it new.

I find it hard to buy used books. Somehow, all the ones I've come across smell like mothballs. It's really difficult to read a long novel while being able to smell every page. On the bright side, I love so many books that it's hard to choose favourites and but also limited shelf space.

A friend and I hold out for warehouse/outlet sales. I've often found lovely gifts (like a great $10 Roots Salt Lake Olympic hoodie for my nephew) in outlet sales. There was also the time I found great quality pants for DH's work, online, for $2.40 + tax. Lately, it was the Esprit closing sale which led me to pick up a few items for 90% off. You have to be patient sometimes, but there are articles of clothing found new that cost less than what they can be purchased for at GoodWill!
    lecale, walkonby and lucy16076 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

True, Cloth is something very personal (unless its unused) I wouldn't be comfortable using it..
    Other things like computers, electronics, games, furniture, toys, etc is fine, but clothes I would avoid !!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Swimsuits, lol yeah that's just toooo personal.
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Some of the items on that list seem pretty arbitrary to me, eg dvd players, laptops, tires. Sure you can buy a bad one and be sorry, but you can also find one that's still in great shape and save a lot of money over new. I think rather than listing a bunch of arbitrary things you shouldn't buy used, they should just suggest a general rule: Don't buy things used if you don't know much about them, eg if you're a mechanic there is no reason to not buy used tires as you are skilled enough to properly inspect them and determine whether they're worth the asking prices, whereas if you don't know much about cars then buying used tires is obviously a bad idea.

And who still buys dvd players when blu-ray players cost less than fifty bucks?
    lucy16076 and aemi like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I have a DVD player and a VHS player, because I own enough DVDs and VHS tapes for it to be worth it. Why should I have to renovate my whole collection for a player? Not all blu-ray players play DVDs, and I'd rather not have to replace them! Some people don't feel the need to upgrade just because the upgrade is inexpensive, others do. Whatever works!

On that note, I would definitely buy used electronics... as long as I could test it first
    ~*~I take proofreading, writing, and lettering commissions~*~
    ~*~Send me a private message for details!~*~

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I bought a TV last year for $700, & just last week I gave it away for $200 (it was a throw-away price), the reason I didn't needed (because we are moving).
    This kind of bargain is ideal value for money. Infact I have lots of other stuff, which I am selling via kijiji..
    lucy16076 likes this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Growing up my family rarely knew new. We got all our clothes from " the Sally Anne " and I was at the end of the family, so many hand me downs as well ( I got the re-used clothes). Also my Mom knew her way around a sewing machine so I did have many home made things, however the fabric was always " end of line " bolts that had prints no one would be seen dead in.
    Why was I not thrilled with those giant polka dot pants?

I thought of Goodwill and the like stores as great way to save, but now...well, the possibility of the bed bug thing has DH crawling with apprehension, so I am not allowed to indulge that way.

Thanks for that post Darth!
    lecale and lucy16076 like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Excellent picture of creativity...
    Horndogg, harbie and shejayd like this.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I disagree with:

Shoes - I have found some either brand new or worn once pairs second hand. I have huge feet so most pretty shoes never fit, but if you have nice feet and the shoes look to be in good shape just spray them down with something that kills bacteria and wear them!

Costume Jewellery - If it's good quality BUY IT! Or if it's a designer name like Chanel, Givenchy etc. There are also plenty of older costume pieces that are incredibly well made. I would not buy kids play jewellery though. I would stick with actual old pieces and feel for weight and quality.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I agree on the shoes Rose, most people who discard shoes are doing so because they fit poorly or the person never wore them but wasn't able to return them. I wouldn't even consider buying shoes that looked 'used' at a garage sale, only those that look like a bad purchase for that particular person.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lekate View Post
    I agree on the shoes Rose, most people who discard shoes are doing so because they fit poorly or the person never wore them but wasn't able to return them. I wouldn't even consider buying shoes that looked 'used' at a garage sale, only those that look like a bad purchase for that particular person.
    Even used shoes are actually better, at least on my feet because someone else has already broken them in and softened them up!! I have terrible sensitive feet to the point where even running shoes give me bad blisters so as long as the outside of the shoes are in good shape I would still buy them if they were used. I would just more than likely spray them with disinfectant first just in case.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information