User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Heavy perfume

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I don't know how people can be around themselves doused in that much perfume/cologne! I have a worse problem with the cheap men's body sprays than women's perfumes, but both are hard to handle.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

A lot of office buildings are following suit of hospitals and most Dr's offices (in Alberta anyway). They have a fragrance free zone. This goes for both the female and male sex. I found that both have a tendancy to overdue it. I'm not sure if it's because they have used the same scent for so long that they can no longer smell it on themselves anymore or that they believe more is more, instead of the less is more rule.

I can get severe migraines if I'm around people that are wearing a scent that is extremely strong for any length of time. I also agree with a lot of others that when you mix any scent, with the smell of tabacco , I want to gag.

It would be great if scents were like smoking and it wasn't allowed in most public places.
    secheltsaver and torontogal12 like this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    47 (100%)

I agree .. sometimes the smell of a lot of perfume is not pleasent anymore ... but as well .. The smell of people no wearing any deodorant/antitranspirant like if they don't sweet is awful and disgusting .. if they are alergic to the products there are natural stuff that you can use .. just like the OP excess perfume is not pleaseant, but smelling like armpits is disgusting as well .. We always need to think about the people next to you
    Happy Shopping !!

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    I get a headache and feel nauseated when I smell most women's perfumes, especially those with heavy musk or sweet berry-like scents. I don't have the same problem with men's colognes if they're in a "fresh" or "green" scent. Any kind of complicated cologne or perfume is cloying, and I hate it when women wearing perfume pick up our baby and leave the perfume all over him. It's horrible.

I've long wished I could find a women's perfume I'd like that would be light enough to handle. So far, I've only found one body spray from Calgon that doesn't make me sick... and I don't use much of it. Bath and Bodyworks anything is too much for me to handle. About 15 years ago, when my grandfather was in the hospital, a nurse came in wearing a really nice, simple fragrance. I've always regretted not asking her what it was!
    I was going to suggest a body spray to you! They tend to be not so cloying and harsh as regular Perfume.
    I love Calgon body sprays...which one do you use?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

This happened to me on a transatlantic flight. I told the woman she should be more considerate and she just looked at me and shrugged because she didn't care. Her dude actually demanded I apologize to HER for having the gaul to say she should not wear perfume on international flights (and I was very polite! He said I upset HER for the whole flight??). The flight attendants told ME to move. I had to go sit in a middle seat with no space and a large a dude who wouldn't shut up. For 8 hours. What was the point of me getting to the airport hours before everyone else to get a good aisle seat? I am still angry about it just writing this. Some people are so entitled, it's disgusting. "Sure I need to smell good, who cares of other people around me die."

It was the worst flight ever because that B**** was inconsiderate. I am ok with some perfumes and use them myself but others really trigger my allergies and make it hard to breathe.So I never wear perfume in enclosed spaces because I know others can suffer. And in open spaces, one spritz is enough. DH is one of these people with perfume allergies and I never wear it around him.

I am allergic to the oil in orange peels. I don't know how many times I have to tell people not to peel them around me. I remember this one girl who acted like I was crazy. I have heard that some children bully kids in the schoolyard with peanuts. Non-allergic people can be dirtbags sometimes. They don't get how dangerous this stuff can be

However there is a scientific reason why people bathe in perfumes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olfactory_fatigue. Basically their nose gets so used to the smell they can't smell it anymore, so they have to douse themselves with it so even they can smell it
    Last edited by torontogal12; Fri, Nov 9th, 2012 at 09:41 AM.
    secheltsaver, Decaf and Panthera like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    38 (100%)

I'm very allergic to the chemical perfumes, just like Decaf. I get an instant headache from anything with a synthetic scent. Anything longer than a quick sniff and my eyes get red and itchy, my nose running, I'm short of breath and coughing and my skin gets itchy. Lotions, soap, hair products, deodorants, laundry detergent, cleaners, perfume, air "fresheners", cat litter... you name it, if its got a scent it'll make me sick. My boyfriend told me the other day how he never really noticed how bad these products actually smelled until we started living together in my artificial-scent-free apartment, so he's not bombarded with them all the time. I have to spend more $ for the all natural, or scent-free varieties of these products but it's well worth it for the health of myself and my family.

Its hard to be in a position of dealing with the public since I'm bound to run into a perfume drenched individual at least once a week. I'm also allergic to cigarette smoke so a perfumed smoker is a double whammy. Its difficult to carry on a conversation when I'm exhibiting the above symptoms and trying to not offend the person at the same time.

The people who feel the need to reapply in a crowded place just seems rude and very inconsiderate. I'm shocked at how Torontogal was treated on her flight I don't understand why you were punished for someone else insisting on smelling like a chemical factory explosion
    Last edited by xXtiggerXx; Fri, Nov 9th, 2012 at 09:38 AM. Reason: typo
    Decaf, Panthera and torontogal12 like this.
    Earn Paypal $ or Amazon gift cards every week doing searches and surveys with Swagbucks http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/xXtiggerXx
    Earn quick money with short/easy surveys from Legerweb: https://legerweb.com/FOF6P

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

So you did not like the perfume she was wearing and you got upset that they moved you? Why should she move if you are the one with the issue?

I am not trying to be mean, but this is an issue that really aggravates me

While I do understand that some scents are truly too much, because believe me I have come across some that just assault my senses, I would NEVER dare to tell someone not to wear perfume on a international flight.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I can totally understand torontogal's frustration about that person on her flight. I had a similar experience a couple of years ago. This family sat right behind us; the woman was one huge cloud of overwhelming perfume and the guy smelled horribly of BO - maybe that's why she wore so much. Anyway, I could hardly breathe, and had to use my inhaler. I was with my family, so it wasn't an option to move. Thanks goodness it was only for one hour, I don't know if I could have handled any more. I spent the whole time fanning myself with a magazine to get some air movement. The flight attendant came around and asked if I was too warm...I just told him that it was the stench behind me that was causing the problem. I never did confront her about it, not much she could have done anyway (and I know she wouldn't have cared).
    xXtiggerXx, Decaf and torontogal12 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Reading some of the other posters' experiences, I am doubly glad I'm just (mostly) annoyed/irritated by the scents. I used to smoke heavily and had no clue what a stench it left in my clothes and hair (thank God I'm a clean freak that way and shower/wash my hair every day; I've been told I don't know how many times I've been told I should only wash it twice a week, but can you imagine how awful it would have smelled? Just regular greasy scalp smell is revolting, bleargh).

I can't imagine how many people I annoyed over the years just by walking into a room (even before my first cigarette of the day, but that's another story, LOL).

Once I quit, within about three days, I was at my aunt's place and she was making dinner. I was smelling something I couldn't place...turned out it was the lettuce for the salad. I couldn't get over it. "LETTUCE has a SMELL?? It's like 98% water and 2% cellulose or something!!".

Now that I think about it though, I'm the only one from the GTA gang that seems to have issues with "smellies" - I'll do the Glade promos, but I give the stuff away. Can't use them in the house (although again, just irrititating, not throat-closing). Hmm.
    Decaf and torontogal12 like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

oh this is true to my heart great rant-i work around people -coworkers too sometimes i start to coughing from the scent -like a dry cough-its too much for some people like me -i use perfume myself fight now i have ici on -but a light spray of it -not 20 times
    torontogal12 likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lessthannat View Post
    So you did not like the perfume she was wearing and you got upset that they moved you? Why should she move if you are the one with the issue?

While I do understand that some scents are truly too much, because believe me I have come across some that just assault my senses, I would NEVER dare to tell someone not to wear perfume on a international flight.
    No-one should have to say anything,it should be policy,just like doctors offices,etc.It's a sad reflection on todays chemical saturated world,but scents are becoming a huge issue.
    What I understood from her post was that she had to be moved because she was having an allergic reaction and couldn't breathe.It must have been horrible to be trapped on a plane and unable to get any fresh air.
    I myself have horrible scent reactions,and recently had a (suprise!)heart attack-but I didn't go to the hospital until the next day.Why?Because the chest pain felt like an just another allergic reaction-and I've had the same pain at work from perfumes many times.
    The fact is that for many people it's not just a matter of distaste or esthetics,it's a serious health issue.Think of people with asthma-should they suck it up?A severe allergic reaction is the same thing,you know.
    If some one was grabbing you by the throat and squeezing until you got dizzy,everyone around would understand your being upset,but bizzarely enough if you get the same reaction from certain scents you're in the wrong somehow if you mention it.
    I'm really pleased to see threads like this that raise awareness and provide a neutral ground to exchange viewpoints and experiences,it's an emotionally charged subject that is a growing issue.
    screamy, xXtiggerXx, Decaf and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lessthannat View Post

I agree with this. I would've simply relayed my concern to the flight attendant and asked if there was an empty seat I could move to. Since TG was the one with the problem, the flight attendant did right in asking her to move.
    Last edited by salady; Fri, Nov 9th, 2012 at 06:22 PM.
    Shop online often? Join ebates.ca to get cashback on your purchases! I have earned over $230 to date.

Always looking for Pampers Gift To Grow codes! If you don't use them, please RAOK them to me.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

A great light scent is L'eau D'Issey - get the eau de toilette, or even a body moisturizer which is light - trust me, everyone will ask you what you're wearing!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by salady View Post
    I agree with this. I would've simply relayed my concern to the flight attendant and asked if there was an empty seat I could move to. Since TG was the one with the problem, the flight attendant did right in asking her to move.
    What happen if there's more than one person who has issue with her strong perfume, should they all be moved around too? I think they should have move the perfume drenched lady to the back of the plane.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Decaf View Post
    What happen if there's more than one person who has issue with her strong perfume, should they all be moved around too? I think they should have move the perfume drenched lady to the back of the plane.
    Yes. I'm sorry but why the bullying tactic against this "perfume drenched lady"? I'm of the notion that if YOU are the one with the problem, then YOU should move. Seriously, there are things we may not like but there are boundaries. Confronting the person yourself is just downright RUDE. Bring it to the attention of the flight attendant...if they can't move you, they might just move her. Would you like me to start telling people to quit smoking outside restaurants/bars, shopping mall entrances and train stations cos I'm allergic to cigarette smoke and have to breathe the filth when I walk past them??? How is heavy perfume any different?
    Last edited by salady; Fri, Nov 9th, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
    GoJays, lessthannat and erin9mmm like this.
    Shop online often? Join ebates.ca to get cashback on your purchases! I have earned over $230 to date.

Always looking for Pampers Gift To Grow codes! If you don't use them, please RAOK them to me.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information