User Tag List

Page 58 of 67 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I am allergic to tomatoes so this works for me. It uses a LOT less sugar than a traditional store bought ketchup. They use almost half sugar. I couldn't find a "canning" recipe for it... but the vinegar in it makes it acidic enough that I just used normal ketchup processing times. It is nice to know I have some for a good while to come. (BTW you won't fool anyone into thinking it isn't beets, but purple ketchup is kind of cool as long as your house isn't white everything.)
    Swagbucks, Earn 30 - $50 a month in surveys plus cash backs on your spending. You have to work at it, but it is WORTH it and it can help you buy some Christmas presents for free with Amazon gift cards or paypal payments. Referral link http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cheekysaver

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Thanks Cheeky, we are always looking for an alternative to ketchup, just trying to get some white sugar out of our diets. We usually get gifted a huge sack of beets about this time of year from a friend so will play around with a few ideas!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Bought 20 lbs of potatoes at no frills for $3.44 - 600 PC points. Have 16 pints and 1-1/2 pint in canner. Still have part bag left. Might dehydrate we will see. Also when in states last week I bought the new ball canning book. Going to to lemon garlic green beans this week and thinking about habanero carrot butter. Lots of nice recipes!
    Last edited by scouponer; Mon, Sep 19th, 2016 at 01:41 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

^^^
    Lemon garlic green beans sound fantastic!
    cheekysaver, scouponer and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just canning 3 acts of roasted tomato soup. Had some left over and it is delicious. Did 8 pints of lemon garlic green beans. One jar didn't seal so had to eat it. Really good...a little soft as are canned veggies but great flavour,

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So this is the final tally of my canning and preserving adventures for the year:

-About 150 jars of cumbers, beets (both red and golden), carrots, cauliflower, zucchini, tomatoes, apples, strawberries...

-Dehydrated jars of shallots, celery leaves.

-Froze tomatoes, beets as well, strawberries, basil and other herbs, celery.

Today I have to get the rest of the beets, and I am going to pull the carrots out too. The first batch of carrots I pulled out about 3 weeks ago, I got 6 pounds. I figure I should get about 10 more pounds or so. Those are going to be blanched and frozen.

(Most was from my own garden, some was from the Farmers' Market, and some was given to me. Strawberries were U Pick.)

I would love to post pics, but I am so computer illiterate that it takes me forever trying to figure out how to do so!!!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Amazed at all the hard work, I am always very tempted but scared to go at it all alone and tiring myself out :D
    Please use my referral orange key code 47245085S1 for opening new Tangerine account and I will split the $50 bonus with you

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.carrot&hl=en JOIN CARROT REWARDS using my referral invite code dipikag5521

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I pickled cauliflower this weekend (first timer!). I used a pretty simple recipe found online (vinegar based with a few spices). It came out ok, but I was looking for a recipe similar to pickled onion...similar to what you get in a seafood salad mix which isn't any vinegary, but has a certain je ne sais quoi that is hard to put my finger on. Open to suggestions!
    CADDLE APP REFERRAL LINK: http://dev.caddle.ca/signup/referral/565f84b25049b

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by d.ot View Post
    I pickled cauliflower this weekend (first timer!). I used a pretty simple recipe found online (vinegar based with a few spices). It came out ok, but I was looking for a recipe similar to pickled onion...similar to what you get in a seafood salad mix which isn't any vinegary, but has a certain je ne sais quoi that is hard to put my finger on. Open to suggestions!
    Sometimes you need to let pickled things sit around for a few weeks at least before eating, maybe become less vinegary?
    Newfiescreech and cheekysaver like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Canned some apple pear sauce and tried to make habanero carrot butter, which had a few issues...not enough liquid so added more water before blending, then realized I probably just changed the acidity level so sitting in fridge and will call ball and see what the have to say. Also too lid off blender before it was finished running and ended up wearing quite a bit of it! Not fun!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by scouponer View Post
    Sometimes you need to let pickled things sit around for a few weeks at least before eating, maybe become less vinegary?
    Oh that's interesting...I thought the longer it stands, it will take on a stronger vinegar-infused taste?
    Newfiescreech and cheekysaver like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

When I do pickled cauliflower I just make a recipe of sweet mixed pickles with just cauliflower and pickling onions and leave out the cucumbers.Here is a great recipe I have used!!
    https://cityboyhens.com/2013/09/23/h...mixed-pickles/

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    When I do pickled cauliflower I just make a recipe of sweet mixed pickles with just cauliflower and pickling onions and leave out the cucumbers.Here is a great recipe I have used!!
    https://cityboyhens.com/2013/09/23/h...mixed-pickles/
    Thanks for the link, will absolutely try this recipe!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

for anyone in the area of Westney and Hardwood, Sobeys has 10 lb bags of beets on for a buck! ( not posted in the flyer, but in store sale )
    I did up 7 pint jars of pickled beets yesterday.
    Got to use both of my new appliances, my pressure cooker and my portable induction cook top. Since I cannot water bath my jars on the glass top stove that induction device works amazingly well!

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    for anyone in the area of Westney and Hardwood, Sobeys has 10 lb bags of beets on for a buck! ( not posted in the flyer, but in store sale )
    I did up 7 pint jars of pickled beets yesterday.
    Got to use both of my new appliances, my pressure cooker and my portable induction cook top. Since I cannot water bath my jars on the glass top stove that induction device works amazingly well!

I don't think the dollar stores would give you a can of beets for a $1
    wtg

Page 58 of 67 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 ... LastLast

Thread Information