User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: Is Christmas a surprise to people?

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Quote Originally Posted by snuffaluffagus View Post
    Lol, Minou...I'm going to use your title on every miserable shopper I come across this season . I had someone come into our crowded little store this morning expecting to be served immediately and ahead of other customers who were already waiting. Why? Because they were in a hurry, decided they didn't want to pay the parking meter and shouted "if I get a ticket, you're going to pay it!" Oy .
    Wow..So irrespectfull Custumer there,all the people are in the same boat as christmas is on the same date for everyone.So selfish and greedy one...That people just have to plan her shopping lol.I like the Christmas ambiance in stores and I wait patiently my turn to be serve just like everyone else.

Same thing is you know the groceries will be closed 1 or 2 day during christmas date,make your grocery in consequence;it is not the fault of the store if you have no organization.But yes my mom and I because she was a teacher and finished the 21 or somethime the 23 make our shopping last minutes the 2 last days for food and gifts no choice.(Was 7 years ago but I do remember it was so fun)

And dont try to attend restaurant without reservations at Christmas...our familly (father familly side)one is made since 1month
    Last edited by cath007; Sun, Dec 16th, 2012 at 03:05 AM.
    coupon girl likes this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    We know that Christmas happens every December 25th. We have a whole year to plan for the next one once it's over. So why do people save the shopping until a week or so before Christmas?

Most of my shopping has been done for ages, and I've been picking up the occasional holiday "deal" (mostly online) when something we actually need or regularly use comes up at a great price, but my husband asked me to shop for one of his family member's Christmas gifts this morning, as he hadn't done it yet. It was crazy out there. Parking was hard to find. There were long lines at checkouts. Items were picked over. People were snarky. I'm not sure how shoppers can be making thoughtful gift choices as they run around, and they can't be going home to their families in a good mood.

So why do we do this to ourselves?
    I don't have many gifts to buy, and am usually done by now.

However, there is something to be said for 'getting into the spirit' of it all as it gets closer to Christmas - to actually go out and enjoy the hustle and bustle, the excitement, the music and lights, crowds and people scurrying - BUT being a leisurely shopper oneself.... no good to go out and do it all stressed out!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Well...guilty as charged here...I really DO forget about Christmas once it has passed, in a way. I did do some shopping on line and was thrilled with the delivery speed! Not a lot of people to buy for though ( I decided that years ago, not wasting my hard earned $$ on that guilt trip )
    Usually dreaded the tearing down of the inside decor but I believe it was because I have always worked that it felt like " just another chore " to squeeze in before I headed back to the salt mines. (sorry real salt mine workers, no offense, lol)

Now that I am so close to being retired I think I am starting to savour the whole thing more. The pressure is off, I will soon stroll the Malls at my leisure.

Merry Christmas all!

babies teach us acceptance

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by couponmummy View Post
    Did all my Christmas shopping in August redeeming all my choco SDM points. I don't want to step foot in to a mall. DD wants to go to the mall and just inhale the xmas ambiance. Watch Santa with kids, people watching, do lunch, window shopping. Parking is going to be crazy. Maybe get DH to drop us off and then pick us up later.
    DD is a teen? I used to be like that at that age. Not anymore! get me away from those mall nutsos
    couponmummy likes this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I have been done most of my shopping for weeks ( a lot of birthdays in Nov and January make it stressful, but I usually buy their xmas stuff at the same time). I think human nature for many people is to procrastinate. Maybe they think they can get better deals or can't decide what to buy and think if they wait they can find the "perfect thing."

There are definitely benefits to shopping early. I bought DH a DVD box set the week it came out in October with a really great price. It's been sold out everywhere since then, even at full price.

We've avoided the malls this year and have only shopped online. Easy, breezy. The security guard at our building who signs for packages said he's seen much more packages this year than last year. I've been very impressed with Sears, Bay and Chapters shipping. Sears and Chapters stuff arrived NEXT DAY. Faster than their shipping the rest of the year lol
    Natalka, gourmetsue and walkonby like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Im a procrastinator too, just because work is so darn busy at this time of year, the last thing I want to do is go shopping. So I wait until Im %100 sure what Im buying, and usually do it in one or 2 short trips.
    One thing I wont put off until the last minute is going to the liquor store. Did that once on new years eve, and the lineups were out the door.
    I was in walmart the other day and had 2 things in the cart. As I was just entering the checkout lane, some middle aged man comes literally running out of no where and cuts in front of my cart and the belt. He ran into my cart trying to get past me, and then says "I got here first". He had nothing in his hands, but was holding a spot for his daughter who was just coming up from behind with her shopping cart. Really???...
    I just said well you can have it, and backed the cart out of the lane and walked away. I hope after he checked out and thought about it, he would see what a dick he was... but I doubt it.
    Minou, gourmetsue and ninna like this.
    Do you want to buy and sell Bitcoin? Sign up for Ndax to buy and sell bitcoin in Canada. Other altcoins available on the platform too! Quick, simple and secure.!. Have a look around. https://one.ndax.io/bfQb65

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

For me shopping for Christmas for my children is a priority and I start early. However not for other people in my life. It really comes down to $ and time which are in short supply these days and the fact that Christmas gifts are really for the kids. Adults it should be about spending time together.
    Start your savings with Ing direct orange key: 14063041S1

Have you tried swagbucks? http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/sciotti

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

well i stopped in fortinos yesterday to look at my bill and a man was in a hurry and huffed -well he could have walked around me-people coming to 4 way stops some are not watching their turn -its like peoples minds are elsewhere-then hubby and i were driving home on a road along the brow where their was no broken lines so couldnt pass he was doing 60 which was the limit at 5.00p.m and a teen girl comes up behind us in her car and honks,hubby just kept driving halfway to our house the we come to a light -road opened up she passed us and layed on her horn again -unreal

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    DD is a teen? I used to be like that at that age. Not anymore! get me away from those mall nutsos
    DD is an adult, she's 19. She's into the magic of Christmas. The decorations, music, crowds, being part of it all.
    gourmetsue and torontogal12 like this.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

You know, I used to wonder if I was spoiling things for myself by shopping early. I thought I'd be missing out on the "Christmas Spirit" by not being out shopping shortly before the big day. So, one year, I saved a few gifts to buy just before Christmas, and boy, once I was out there, I wanted to go home. It turns out that the Christmas spirit isn't at the mall.

I had some pretty specific ideas for what to buy my husband's relative yesterday, but selection was so picked over that there was very little that would work as a main gift. Stressed by the traffic, the people, and the ability to find something (knowing that my husband was home with the two kids), I headed over to Danier and bought her a gorgeous purse. Overspent a bit, but it sure was nice to go into a store that wasn't busy. I'll have to talk to my husband about giving me his shopping list early next year!
    Ciel, ninna and PurpleBunny89 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

I usually have the big stuff done very early and only need to pick up a few little things..but...i always get stuck doing my brothers shopping and even my fathers. I don't mind because i love, love to shop but i'm one of those people that has to go out 1 more time this week for my brother. Oh well i don't mind to much as long as i don't have to take the kids.
    gourmetsue likes this.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

no not really as a surprise.. maybe only as a.. im not sure the word an unknown 'whats happening/what do we do' type of thing... this year i was hoping to go away.. give GC's to everyone and just go.. then that planned changed...then... once i figured out what we were going to do... another let down occurred.... threw a wrench into everything.... so that meant last minute planning.. so now a week before xmas... im nearly done. only buying for hubby, 2 kids and my parents.. and making a baked goods basket for a couple of ppl.nothing exciting. didn't even decorate this year.. first year ever since the kids were born.. feels odd. im not as stressed.. but kinda not feeling it either.. no snow maybe the reason.. but thats on it way.. other reasons may contribute as well.. things you can't plan.. either way.. it makes me wonder what next year will bring.
    Ciel likes this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    We know that Christmas happens every December 25th. We have a whole year to plan for the next one once it's over. So why do people save the shopping until a week or so before Christmas?

.... I'm not sure how shoppers can be making thoughtful gift choices as they run around, and they can't be going home to their families in a good mood.

So why do we do this to ourselves?
    Why I do my shopping late:

Never started out of choice but rather because money was/is tight. Other more pressing things come up and buying gifts for 4 to 6 months in advance doesn't seem important yet (especially when there are a number of family members with birthdays only a month or two before). However I started to realize buying early doesn't always mean better deals or better gift choices (you should see my MIL's gifts she buys for family during boxing week sales the year before!). I find toys are the at the best deal at the beginning of December. We don't live in a large city so I have never had any trouble getting what I want. Personally I have saved bundles this year and most of my shopping was done just this past Friday and Saturday, and if I may pat myself on the back - I think my family will be happy with what I got and I'm excited to give it to them!

...one time years ago I literally had no money until the day or two before Christmas. I was happy that I could actually get gifts but also panicked about the time limit. I went into one store and the girl working there made an insensitive loud comment about unorganized people shopping late. I walked out of the store in tears because little did she know that I almost wasn't able to get gifts at all.
    You never really know the reason for late shopping so it is best not to assume.
    Last edited by erin9mmm; Sun, Dec 16th, 2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: adding something
    Ciel, ninna, momgoneawol and 1 others like this.
    Earn Gift Cards With Me Click the link below
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/erin9mmm

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by snuffaluffagus View Post
    Lol, Minou...I'm going to use your title on every miserable shopper I come across this season . I had someone come into our crowded little store this morning expecting to be served immediately and ahead of other customers who were already waiting. Why? Because they were in a hurry, decided they didn't want to pay the parking meter and shouted "if I get a ticket, you're going to pay it!" Oy .
    OMG. I would say "You'll just have to go wait at the back of the line," and "Excuse me ma'am, (to the person next in line), but I just have to make a quick call to parking enforcement, won't be a minute."

Get a freaking clue. $2 to pay for parking vs. $40 ticket = no brainer. People can be such jackasses (me included, obviously, LOL!).
    Last edited by screamy; Sun, Dec 16th, 2012 at 11:27 AM.
    cath007 likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Reply "hey the customers in line are waiting ahead of you. Optical dept is over there! (point and smile)"
    cath007 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information