User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Mirena IUD

Trading Score
    88 (99%)

Is anyone else here on Mirena? I was able to get this IUD for FREE through my family doctor last year. Had it inserted last summer (holy hell it was painful!) and have been enjoying a year of NO periods at ALL! So sweet. My only complaints are weight gain and hair loss. Has anyone else experienced this? Like 30lbs in a year gained, no changes to fitness/diet to explain it! Also I had a head full of thick hair, which over the course of the year has been breaking and coming out by the fistful in the shower!! EEK! Im actually contemplating having it removed befre I transform into a gigantic baldie!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    tthomp47, leymi15, vesper and 1 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

No but I will be showing my dd19 this as she is/was contemplating this as a method of birth control due to constant bleeding between periods.

What seems to help now in case that is your problem is taking 2 aleve in the morning and 2 at night to stop the breakthrough bleeding. Has worked 3 times in row so far. Her dr suggested it.
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

To be quite honest I'd really bring these concerns up to your doctor as to whether these are normal side effects. Also seeing what options are available to maybe help with the hair loss - maybe taking more of a certain vitamin or something similar?

I never concidered Mirena because of how expensive it is for people without coverage and because of how uncomfortable I've heard it is to have it inserted.

I was on Depo-provera and loved it...except the weight gain. Was on it for at least 5 years, only thing is you need to have a bone density test done every so often to make sure you can continue on it.
    torontogal12 likes this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Had this IUD inserted after my second child and ended up pregnant 2 months later. I ended up losing the baby at 10 weeks . I guess I was one of the 2% that this happens to. It has been 10 years and I still think about the lost baby and wouldn't wish that on anyone. Funny enough...after this IUD failure...I did start taking Low Estrin birth control pills and got pregnant again with my third child while on them. My gift from above. He is now 9 years old and keeps me smiling and young. ) Everything has a time and a place and a reason.
    Natalka, leymi15, CrazyQT and 5 others like this.
    PEACE. LOVE. HARMONY...AND COUPONS!

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I love my Mirena IUD..I'm onto my second. I had my first at 41 no periods, no side-effects, helping with the change...

here's a list of some of the side effects form canhealth..
    tthomp47 likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Was on this for 6 weeks and had palpitations, anxiety and cystic acne. It was my first attempt at hormonal contraceptives and my last. I had it removed and life was back to normal.
    I second bringing it up with your gynae.
    Natalka and seylz_gurl like this.

Trading Score
    50 (98%)

I am the only one reading all the comments and getting the heebie-jeebies?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherWake View Post
    Is anyone else here on Mirena? I was able to get this IUD for FREE through my family doctor last year. Had it inserted last summer (holy hell it was painful!) and have been enjoying a year of NO periods at ALL! So sweet. My only complaints are weight gain and hair loss. Has anyone else experienced this? Like 30lbs in a year gained, no changes to fitness/diet to explain it! Also I had a head full of thick hair, which over the course of the year has been breaking and coming out by the fistful in the shower!! EEK! Im actually contemplating having it removed befre I transform into a gigantic baldie!
    It is possible this is not related to your weight gain and hair loss. I'd visit your doctor ASAP and insist on getting full testing done.
    Kitty77, DianneS and PurpleBunny89 like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

The weight gain (which is listed as a side effect of it) and hair loss can be from a hormonal imbalance. You need to get to a gynecologist and have your hormone levels tested, and discuss side effects.
    Did you have a six month follow-up appointment?

My gynecologist recommended I have it to deal with my horrid periods and severe pain because of my PCOS - however, once I did a LOT of research about it, I decided I would not go through with it - just too many serious possible side effects - of course, it's not for everyone, but there are some very scary stories reported regarding it, and lawsuits underway.

Some women are happy with it, and many are not - side effects and circumstances are different with everyone.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by neelkamalll1979 View Post
    Yes LOL

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by neelkamalll1979 View Post
    Makes me think I'll hold out for a guy with a vasectomy

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by luckbealady View Post
    Love it! Maybe I can convince my husband ...
    luckbealady and acosta like this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    The weight gain (which is listed as a side effect of it) and hair loss can be from a hormonal imbalance. You need to get to a gynecologist and have your hormone levels tested, and discuss side effects.
    Did you have a six month follow-up appointment?

My gynecologist recommended I have it to deal with my horrid periods and severe pain because of my PCOS - however, once I did a LOT of research about it, I decided I would not go through with it - just too many serious possible side effects - of course, it's not for everyone, but there are some very scary stories reported regarding it, and lawsuits underway.

Some women are happy with it, and many are not - side effects and circumstances are different with everyone.

I did the same thing. Bought it and then saw a ton of scary stuff. Like you said some people love it and it would be nice to be period free
    Natalka likes this.

Shameless Reps FTW krysta lynne's Avatar
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by luckbealady View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBunny89 View Post
    Love it! Maybe I can convince my husband ...
    my fiancee just got one. we have a boy and a girl, we are both under 30 and do not want any more kids. life is perfect as it is. if in the future we change our minds (doubtful) than he can get it reversed.

i had some pretty awful reactions to different birth control methods and hated being on them, but after my son ended up being a c-section i couldn't face another surgery (ie tubes tied) so their father stepped up and got the vasectomy done.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

There are a lot of class action suits in the U.S....don't know about canada..I would stray googling its and see what this is about.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information