User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree263Likes

Thread: Small Budget Items that Can Break your Budget

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Its fairly common in Ontario, ours is $11/month and if they can't get out themselves within a few hours, they send a contractor

The same tank is $1200 at Home Depot plus installation (since we have a newer replaced tank under the old contract price), in the 9 years that I pay rental fees on it to get to $1200, I will prob have it replaced again - well worth the $$ for me
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree with the comments about coffee. I used to buy 3 or 4 extra large coffees (the ones before the cup change) from Tim's everyday and once I developed an ulcer and couldn't drink coffee anymore, I noticed a dramatic decline in my monthly expenses. I never really realised how much I spent on it because I was always paying cash. I drink tea and I refuse to pay for it because its so expensive for tea. It may seem cheap, but I leave a tea bag in my purse and if I'm out and want tea, I pay for hot water, which is like 10 cents at most chains and brew my own tea.

I currently buy 2 magazines. I have a subscription for one that when it is done, I'm not renewing and the other is a sports team magazine that I can only buy at Indigo and cannot get online copies. I used to borrow magazines from the library, but I've started borrowing from their e-magazine collection, which is relatively expansive. I get current issues on my computer/phone and can read them any time and they don't expire. Great for my commute.
    Natalka, macw1960 and Shwa Girl like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    Its fairly common in Ontario, ours is $11/month and if they can't get out themselves within a few hours, they send a contractor

The same tank is $1200 at Home Depot plus installation (since we have a newer replaced tank under the old contract price), in the 9 years that I pay rental fees on it to get to $1200, I will prob have it replaced again - well worth the $$ for me
    Thanks I am going to see if this is an option in Alberta.
    ROMEO and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by beckie.c View Post
    Agreed. DH is a plumber in Regina, so even though we could get a high-quality WH at cost, he still wants to rent because of how bad the water eats through the anode rods and metal.

I'm definitely guilty of dry-cleaning, but only with my expensive work dresses (where I have paid $200+) and even then I maybe dry clean them 3-4 times per year, since they only get worn for special occasions.

Another 'convenience' type fee I hate are the admin fees attached if you don't pay your home, vehicle, life insurances in one lump sum. I think I spend $150 a year on these fees because we haven't had the cash to pay for these in one large chunk... I'm working on that though.
    Check into this further when you go to renew as not all companies charge this fee. We have to have commercial insurance for our van because of the type of vehicle it is and that one does carry a convenience fee so we pay it up front every December (of course when everything else is high too!) but for our car insurance and contents insurance there is no penalty fee if you pay monthly but because the contents insurance is only a few hundred dollars we pay it up front. Luckily though the commercial insurance is cheaper then the car insurance so it might seem like a lot up front but its nice not to have to worry about it every month.
    ROMEO, Angela273 and macw1960 like this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Agree that coffee is a big one that many people don't realize is eating up lots of dollars. Another one is eating lunch out. I work in a office, and am endlessly amazed at how many people go out for lunch every day or several times a week. It adds up. Or even buying snacks. A chocolate bar or bag of chips and a drink each day adds up.

Gym memberships are an interesting one on the list. I think they can be a big waste of money for some, if they don't use them, but can be a really good thing for others, if they are used regularly. My membership is critical to me if I want to exercise through the year. I need the structure of group classes to motivate me and keep me going. I know other people who like to run, and do that on their own, or who have equipment at home at use that. No gym membership required. That system doesn't work for me, but works for some. But if I didn't go to the gym several times a week, it would be a waste of dollars.

The thing about a budget is that everyone's is different. The key is to be aware of everything we spend money on, and decide if those items are a priority or not. And to realize that not everything we "want" is something that we can have. We keep some things, discard others. I'll take the gym membership, but bring my own lunch to work. That works for me.
    super_e, Natalka, ROMEO and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBunny89 View Post
    I'm also going to add to the list movie rentals. At one point we used to spend a insane amount of money on them. You don't realise how much $2.50 + taxes a movie rental adds up several times over a month. Now my library card gets just as much action if not more then my credit card!
    Yes. Plus movies seem to go on TV or internet faster and faster, after showing in movie theatres.
    ROMEO, Angela273, macw1960 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bargain_hunter_lola View Post
    I've been trying to get DH to agree to drop our landline. $40+ a month just isn't worth it. We both have cells so we barely use it.
    Maybe you can negotiate a cheaper rate for the same land line services.
    Can't hurt to ask as itsjill does every year
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/226818-...pany-canada-3/
    ROMEO, Angela273, macw1960 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by super807 View Post
    Agree that coffee is a big one that many people don't realize is eating up lots of dollars. Another one is eating lunch out. I work in a office, and am endlessly amazed at how many people go out for lunch every day or several times a week. It adds up. Or even buying snacks. A chocolate bar or bag of chips and a drink each day adds up.
    It seems to be the lower paid ones in my office that do it too, I remember a summer intern laughing at the fact that a director brown bags it (with a note on his bag telling people not to eat it lol) - he was paid min wage and spending $$ on downtown Toronto food prices
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Transit tickets can be cheaper than a pass if you don't take it daily too, what gets me is the people who pay cash for it daily
    macw1960 and bobbiegirl2010 like this.
    ~ ~ ~

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    It seems to be the lower paid ones in my office that do it too, I remember a summer intern laughing at the fact that a director brown bags it (with a note on his bag telling people not to eat it lol) - he was paid min wage and spending $$ on downtown Toronto food prices
    He won't be laughing when he can't pay rent because he spent his money on take out. Downtown Toronto food prices can be insane. I will walk the extra minute and go outside to save myself $2 on a sub. I don't understand why that intern would laugh. Maybe the director decided that he's brown bagging his lunch so that he can pay for a nice vacation or a pretty car.
    macw1960 and bobbiegirl2010 like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Check into this further when you go to renew as not all companies charge this fee. We have to have commercial insurance for our van because of the type of vehicle it is and that one does carry a convenience fee so we pay it up front every December (of course when everything else is high too!) but for our car insurance and contents insurance there is no penalty fee if you pay monthly but because the contents insurance is only a few hundred dollars we pay it up front. Luckily though the commercial insurance is cheaper then the car insurance so it might seem like a lot up front but its nice not to have to worry about it every month.
    In SK, vehicle insurance is a government monopoly, and there are admin fees if you pay monthly. However, it's only like a buck a month or so.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    In SK, vehicle insurance is a government monopoly, and there are admin fees if you pay monthly. However, it's only like a buck a month or so.
    If we could I'd pay all our insurance up front once a year because it would just be so much nicer not to have to worry about it. I bet its nice for them too because they don't have to worry about someone defaulting.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by trishka View Post
    He won't be laughing when he can't pay rent because he spent his money on take out. Downtown Toronto food prices can be insane. I will walk the extra minute and go outside to save myself $2 on a sub. I don't understand why that intern would laugh. Maybe the director decided that he's brown bagging his lunch so that he can pay for a nice vacation or a pretty car.
    I know, we have a little cafe at work and a tiny ham and cheese sandwich is $5.50. I usually bring a lunch, unless I have plans to meet a friend or know I have an insane day that I need the excuse to get out for a bit and walk over to Druxy's or Swiss Chalet (closest places to my office). He must have spent a fortune. I am fairly sure the director is financially comfortable but he would make a good SmartCanuck - he doesn't believe in spending for the sake of spending and the food at work just isn't that great.
    ~ ~ ~

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Plus by the time you reach the higher echelons of a company, the more times you have missed lunch due to "something urgent" neeeeding to be sorted out NOW!.

Bringing in lunch means you don't miss out on eating even if you are doing soi while on the phone or slaving over your pc.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I'm also going to add to the list movie rentals. At one point we used to spend a insane amount of money on them. You don't realise how much $2.50 + taxes a movie rental adds up several times over a month. Now my library card gets just as much action if not more then my credit card!
    Netflix I keep it because my mom or my sister use it but I rarely login myself
    macw1960 and list465 like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information