User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Body Odour and Bad Breath

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I work closely with a handful of people. We pass each other several times a day. I have a co-worker that likes to chat. I'm all for chatting and working at the same time but this co-worker has the most horrific breath I've ever smelled. It literally smells like cow dung. I don't think there is a friendly way to say "Hey your breath smells like ****, have a mint" but trust me I'd like to. I dread working with this girl. It's THAT bad.

Also, now that the hot weather is here why is it people think it's okay to have body odour? Surely they can smell it if I can. A young summer employee where I work has for the past few weeks had intermittent BO. YUCK. It's not that hard to have a shower before work and make sure your laundry is cleaned on a regular basis.

It grosses me out and there is no need for it.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by CrazyQT; Thu, Jul 24th, 2014 at 08:27 PM.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyQT View Post
    I don't think there is a friendly way to say "Hey your breath smells like ****, have a mint" but trust me I'd like to.
    I think there is a way.
    Take out your mints/gum. Take one. Offer your coworker one. Do it every day you meet the coworker for the first time in the day.
    May work

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Perhaps talking to her boss or to HR might solve the problem re bad breath..

As for the summer employee, giving her the heads up about personal hygene at work and how it will boost her employment chances in her life should be the responsibility of her supervisior.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

OP, you do need a solution. At same time, I am congratulating your reticence to have to address the breath issue. Maybe the coworker may have a medical issue causing the breath situation. How to get relief from the situation?

About the body odour-this is going to be tough. It is likely a good number of people start off fresh before their commute yet a hot bus with no a/c, overcrowding, maybe a run to work to make up for commute delay or unexpected traffic problem could lead to some b.o. And there will be people who are clueless about their b.o. or that something they ate is offgassing via sweat pores...

Time to do as Darth Penguin suggests-get HR or supervisor to do the deed or ask him/her to perhaps send out a summer dress code/keeping cool and sweet in the workplace memo to everyone.
    Last edited by Ciel; Thu, Jul 24th, 2014 at 11:03 PM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone Will definitely speak to HR about this again. I know it's a touchy situation and maybe I need to be a bit more sympathetic but some days it's just so overwhelming I can't take it LOL
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

I walked past a guy at a store yesterday, and it's shocking how pungent true, uncontrolled BO really is. I wonder if it originally functioned somehow as an attractant, as some kind of musk. That said, I think almost anyone could be a bit smelly in this summer heat, and for some people, it can be hard to find an antiperspirant that fully works. DH seems to be unsweaty and unsmelly no matter what -- I think he could go without deodorant. Over the years, I've struggled to find something that completely works, and I find that an antiperspirant stops working on me after several months of use, and I start getting a bit smelly one day despite multiple applications of product. At that point, I need to switch products. It's terrible! As for breath, does she drink coffee? I've noticed that cow-dung-type smell on the breath of coffee drinkers. Does she appear to have dental problems? Dry mouth? Maybe you could have some mints and gum with you, say you just had coffee and think your breath is bad, and then offer her one as well?
    Ciel, ninna, SharonMe and 1 others like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    OP, you do need a solution. At same time, I am congratulating your reticence to have to address the breath issue. Maybe the coworker may have a medical issue causing the breath situation. How to get relief from the situation?

About the body odour-this is going to be tough. It is likely a good number of people start off fresh before their commute yet a hot bus with no a/c, overcrowding, maybe a run to work to make up for commute delay or unexpected traffic problem could lead to some b.o. And there will be people who are clueless about their b.o. or that something they ate is offgassing via sweat pores...
    I'd definitely be careful with addressing the breath issue. I know that some people with diabetes have perpetual bad breath and no matter how many times they use mouthwash or brush their teeth, ten minutes later, their breath is bad again. It can be something very touchy for them.

Commuting in the summer is tough. I have a 10 minute walk to the subway but in 30+ heat, I'm a mess and my fresh hair is gross and sweaty. Our office has a scent free policy, but I have a very lightly scented body powder that I use in my hair when I get to work, I reapply deodorant and sometimes febreeze my clothes, so there are things that can be done. I would so as Darth suggests and take up the matter with HR. Maybe don't use names, but just mention that you've noticed that some people in the office etc.
    Ciel, newb, Midnightly and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Just wanted to add that people more than likely do not know that they smell. It's just the same as how we don't smell our own perfume after a little while. Our nose becomes accustomed to the smell and doesn't single it out, it's the same with body odour. Psychologically this is called sensory adaptation.

It happens with gum, we chew it and it loses it's flavour becuase our body becomes accustomed to the taste...but if we passed the chewed gum onto someone else...it would taste minty to them because it's new to their mouth. Same with our homes....if someone walks in and says they smell gas, don't just assume they're wrong...it's probably still there, you've just become accustomed to it.
    Ciel, luckbealady and momi like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

i agree with offering her gum every time you talk. it sure is a touchy subject. can u leave something at her work station? like a trial size mouthwash? they should make a hallmark card for this...lol
    BuggaBugga and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I have a very sensitive nose( which is not fun) and this is one of my personal pet peeves. I have had to leave stores because of stinky people. I mean when you leave a trail so bad that I can smell you 2 aisles over......ugh! Old Man smell is the worse. I can understand that people can become immune to their own smell but how can they NOT notice the reaction of other people? I have physically recoiled from stinky people. My reactions can vary from taking a couple of steps back to clapping a hand over my mouth to stop from retching. I feel bad for the people that try to control BO with no luck. But the ones that are just sloven gross me out. I'm like Minou's DH in that I just don't get stinky so I'm not throwing stones at glass houses.
    Just call me Wolfie

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I went to high school with a guy whose breath smelled terrible but he had a stomach ailment that caused it--forget what it was--but it was hard for him as you can imagine especially in high school. If it is just poor hygiene than whooo....
    Quote Originally Posted by trishka View Post
    I'd definitely be careful with addressing the breath issue. I know that some people with diabetes have perpetual bad breath and no matter how many times they use mouthwash or brush their teeth, ten minutes later, their breath is bad again. It can be something very touchy for them.

Commuting in the summer is tough. I have a 10 minute walk to the subway but in 30+ heat, I'm a mess and my fresh hair is gross and sweaty. Our office has a scent free policy, but I have a very lightly scented body powder that I use in my hair when I get to work, I reapply deodorant and sometimes febreeze my clothes, so there are things that can be done. I would so as Darth suggests and take up the matter with HR. Maybe don't use names, but just mention that you've noticed that some people in the office etc.
    ninna likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

You may have an extra sensitive nose. I don't see a polite way to address either of these issues. It likely would embarrass them, and that could lead to anger/dislike.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

That's a really difficult thing to deal with.
    I've run into that situation a few times and honestly, I personally just ignored it.

I don't like the idea of offering someone a gum/mint to let them know they have bad breath because it's not a clear message and it would tend to give that message anytime one is offered a gum/mint.
    I think it's better for HR to handle that as others have said.
    The best things in life...aren't things

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

The bad breath thing is more often than not a bacteria problem in the gut.....
    ninna likes this.
    ....just be happy

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I would definitely want someone to discreetly let me know if either of those things were my issue. I would rather that that have everyone talking about it at work. We had that situation at a place I once worked at, one of the girls had intense body odor. We left deodorant in the bathroom with a note to "help yourself" etc. but the only thing that worked in the end was having the boss give her a heads up.
    PurpleBunny89 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information