User Tag List

Page 13 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast
Like Tree6265Likes

Thread: Dashing December Savings (frugal chatter 2014)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Andit hope your preop stuff went well this morning.I was watching the weather network this morning and they did a segment on the Christmas market by your condo..very cool.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    Jasperandchar, would it be possible to put the ice cream maker under the tree to the family from Santa and get the boys smaller gifts from yourselves? My husband and I are like you, Jayden loves hunting but my husband spends way too much money on hunting toys for the two of them and it makes me crazy. We process our own wild game and my husband asked for a 1500.00 meat grinder,really? I love him dearly but I told him to buy his own damn meat grinder!!!!!
    great idea but don't have the extra to say it's for everyone....sigh....but I really like the idea, maybe I'll mention to dh to get it for me and say it's for everyone.

My dh asked for expensive gifts too it drives me crazy as they are not realistic or even affordable BUT perhaps some day.

That's great that you process/butcher your own game meat, saves a lot of $ and congrats on the moose he got a short while ago

PS How did Jayden's surgery go?
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Well my mom left a message last night asking how I was feeling (seriously) I didn't call her back because I'm still very upset and she also said we'll see you on Sunday for supper.....I can't believe after all that non-sense she feels comfortable coming for supper, I'll have to put on my big girl panties but I tell ya ladies I won't bite my tongue if she or my dad start up again. I invited them for supper before I blew up and hung up on them, she didn't even apologize, she seems to think I was having an off day by her how are you feeling???

I made the pecan pie muffins as well as the banana streudel muffins so we are all stocked up for muffins for snacks. Really glad I got them both done, saves $ on the lunch snacks for sure and always nice as a dessert too.

Dh is not back yet so I guess he is shopping, I will see how he fairs out and bite my tongue as I know he means well.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Nancy, Jayden is having his surgery at noon today. My husband brought him as I am still feeling pretty week and tired from my angioplasty and stents. I hated to not go this morning but the hospital is about an hour away and new I would be on my but before we even got there!

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    Woohoo!!! D has a new roommate and Holly has a home!

Finally, something seems to be going right. Oh, & I was the one who suggested the name in honour of the season.
    I just love happy endings, for Holly and D.

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    sweet sparrow good luck -you sure have been thru a lot hon
    It's not nearly half as much with what you ladies have to deal with. You are all the "strong women" with all the surgeries, health issues, families that seem to like drama... Most things here work themselves out somehow, or I try to look at the big picture and try not to worry about things I cannot do anything about.

DH was able to talk to the insurance company and found out that the car seat was covered. The adjuster previously said no because she didn't think it was a "five-point harness". (Are there any other kinds? ) So, we now have some car seat shopping, but that money is up-front as well, to be reimbursed later.

We also have a lead on a used car, but if it doesn't work out, we'll be buying certified from the dealership, which is a lot more money. I'm really not liking all these "up-front" costs!

Christmas will be pretty lean this year. Thank goodness LO is too small to really expect gifts from us. I feel like this is the only year we'll get away with it without an explanation though. DH has decided we need to replace the roof next year. Someone should put one of those thought bubbles above my head of a wallet with money flying out of it....

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Is anyone else's SC acting strangely? I can't quote anymore and the top half of SC looks really weird, like it didn't load properly.

thriftygranny, I hope Jaden's surgery goes well and it's a fast and speedy recovery.

J&C, DH is the same way. He literally has no idea how much things cost. He remembers prices from the 80s and thinks that nothing has changed. That totally puzzles me because he lived on his own for over a decade before he met me and he never buys things on sale or uses coupons.

lilo, that's hilarious about your dad buying university shirts for Christmas. Very true in that the stranger the gift, the better the stories they make and you'll remember them for years to come.

Most times, I come home with a lot more on my list than I plan on buying. I think I'm going to begin a personal project of writing down each thing that wasn't on my original list, just to see what triggers my impulse spending. I know lately that it's been sales of things that I might need, like Christmas gifts. I'll buy it and hang on to it with the intention that it'll be given unless I find something better for a better price.

QOTD: Do you ever come home with items you didn't plan on buying? What motivates you to buy on impulse? Something you knew you needed on sale? 50% or more off?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I am always looking for deals so if I find a deal then I stock up (for meat etc) I have room in my budget to do so. In the Spring I found lean beef on clearance for .99LB! I bought 45Lbs! Perfect for the start of BBQ season. It was wonderful when we made up huge piles of homemade burgers. Took them to my friends house when we went for the afternoon in the pool and enjoy a nice bbq. I also keep my eye for deals for birthday and Christmas gifts. Having my new niece makes the clearance shopping even more fun. I am pretty good with my shopping so try to only buy what I know will be used/given for a gift. And if not now having the FB mom swap to sell on helps. I make money on there

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

January I plan on really being on the ball! Only buying sales/deals and keep at the decluttering the house. My new jar that I started is building nicely and can't wait to get rid of more junk. DS's closet will be purged again soon so can't wait till the Old Navy swim/short sales as that is about all he needs I think! Unless his older brother grows then if so he will get the pile of new shorts I bought him last summer (all cheap cheap on sale!) and then I will buy his brother the next size up. But really that is all is needed in the new year.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

QOTD: Do you ever come home with items you didn't plan on buying? What motivates you to buy on impulse? Something you knew you needed on sale? 50% or more off?

Sadly often yes but it's something that's on sale and within my allocated budget. I must admit though it is normally stocking up on extra staples (milk, bread, etc) and of course meat, our local independent often has meat sales that are not in the flyer so I tend to pounce and stock up on these sales if it's something we need or to change things up a bit.

I don't go up and down the aisles anymore and start from the top of my grocery list and work my way down, my list is lumped into

dairy
    bread
    cereal/crackers
    produce
    meat

and avoid aisles where I don't have items on my list this way I'm not tempted AND what I don't see I won't be impulse to buy.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

go go go, thats what i've done all day. break here or there.
    yes .. im one of those regarding QOTD. usually a holy crap, i've needed one of those for ever. or can't beat that deal.
    its never alot of $ thankfully.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

thriftygranny hoping Jayden is doing as well as expected

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

So dh ended up getting a Cusinart ice cream maker for Logan which was a 1/3 of the price of the kitchenaid gadget 1 so that's doable. He also got the boys each 2 things for their stockings from the sporting goods store, so all in all it's all good!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Thanks Nancy, they just arrived home and Jayden is doing well, staples out it two weeks and more physio but we are seeing a light tat the end of the tunnel!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    So dh ended up getting a Cusinart ice cream maker for Logan which was a 1/3 of the price of the kitchenaid gadget 1 so that's doable. He also got the boys each 2 things for their stockings from the sporting goods store, so all in all it's all good!
    Glad it all worked out for you!!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    Thanks Nancy, they just arrived home and Jayden is doing well, staples out it two weeks and more physio but we are seeing a light tat the end of the tunnel!
    Good to hear!

Hope you all have a RESTFUL and HEALING weekend!

Page 13 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread Information