User Tag List

Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 753
Like Tree5834Likes

Thread: September 2015 Frugal Chatter Thread

  1. #256
    Mastermind Lynn49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    22,583
    Likes Received
    49834
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)




    What a brilliant, sunny and cool day! It's 10C now, heading up to a balmy 16C, which would be absolutely perfect were it not for the fact that it's ushering in ever colder temperatures in the future.

    Well........we misbehaved last night. After golf, my Hubby drove his motorcycle to the kids' house, then he called me to join them, and could I bring pizza. Remember I said he never ever drinks more than a beer? I obviously lied. sigh...it became evident that in celebrating their great round of golf, they had a wee bit more than a beer....our SIL and were into the scotch. Long story short, our SIL took his best guitar out and we all sang and listened to him play until about 11 o'clock....needless to say, the alcohol flowed, I was obviously DD, and he's still asleep. It's been years since he'd gotten himself in this kind of trouble...going to be fun golfing today! Lol!

    Well, I'd better get him up...time to face the music, poor kid...

    You all have a fantastic day!!



  2. #257
    Smart Canuck saundyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    hay River, NWT
    Posts
    2,095
    Likes Received
    9894
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)




    Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Here you go Pat, it's very tasty and a hearty bread/loaf


    http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/fresh-pear-bread


    Ingredients

    • 3 eggs
    • 1-1/2 cups sugar
    • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 3 cups all-purpose flour
    • 2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 4 cups finely chopped peeled ripe pears (about 4 medium)
    • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
    • 1 cup chopped walnuts


    My Savings Add to Grocery List
    Nutritional Facts

    1 serving (1 slice) equals 168 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 144 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.



    Directions

    • In a bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; stir into the egg mixture just until moistened. Toss pears with lemon juice. Stir pears and walnuts into batter (batter will be thick).
    • Spoon into two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
    I'd have to substitute or remove the cinnamon (or take bf to the er bc of allergies ) but that sounds sooooo yum

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

  3. #258
    Super-walking bean bun! Ciel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    16,349
    Likes Received
    22277
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)




    @Andit -great images from the Ex and that rainbow! Always a treat to see one. Sure hope your Mom enjoyed her time away. May you get some TIFF sightings or fun this weekend! Quincy and Lily will have to understand...
    @saundyl -I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your cousin. Could you consider not attending the funeral but set aside some money to send along to your cousin-in-law if your family can confirm there's a trust fund being set up for her and her child? You have to look after your health first and you've your own commitments as well.
    @Angela273 - it's hard to believe how many weeks old your twins are! Happy birthday to your eldest child! Special week for him
    @jasperandchar -you have the baking flow when you get some goodies started! Awesome! Admire your canning perseverance in the recent heat! I've only made a banana loaf today but do crave to make something else. Have only summer pesto in mind for later today (have to put that fresh basil to use and take out the mint from the freezer as well) when I get the other ingredients.
    @SassyAshley -you have a point pondering Thanksgiving and Mom's upping the guest list. Platters family style or buffet style and everyone finds a seat to eat (if the dining room cannot be cleared in time). If the weather's warm, can you sit outside for the meal on patio chairs? I agree with the other SCer suggesting you ask your brother (what of your other siblings, would they help you?) to assist with the larger furniture setup on the weekend-see if you can get him to come over if there's a fave takeout or frozen meal to heat up that would cinch the deal. Still stoked about your Ikea order arriving and that it's really yours!
    @frugalmama -your amazing planning skills would make a great workshop or talk at a library or community centre! That hockey coach needs a thumbs up for being ready for the season-you'll think of something! Way to go on your continuing sales and garage!
    2020-Money & *baby Yoda*

  4. #259
    Smart Canuck saundyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    hay River, NWT
    Posts
    2,095
    Likes Received
    9894
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)




    Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    @Andit -great images from the Ex and that rainbow! Always a treat to see one. Sure hope your Mom enjoyed her time away. May you get some TIFF sightings or fun this weekend! Quincy and Lily will have to understand...
    @saundyl -I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your cousin. Could you consider not attending the funeral but set aside some money to send along to your cousin-in-law if your family can confirm there's a trust fund being set up for her and her child? You have to look after your health first and you've your own commitments as well.
    @Angela273 - it's hard to believe how many weeks old your twins are! Happy birthday to your eldest child! Special week for him
    @jasperandchar -you have the baking flow when you get some goodies started! Awesome! Admire your canning perseverance in the recent heat! I've only made a banana loaf today but do crave to make something else. Have only summer pesto in mind for later today (have to put that fresh basil to use and take out the mint from the freezer as well) when I get the other ingredients.
    @SassyAshley -you have a point pondering Thanksgiving and Mom's upping the guest list. Platters family style or buffet style and everyone finds a seat to eat (if the dining room cannot be cleared in time). If the weather's warm, can you sit outside for the meal on patio chairs? I agree with the other SCer suggesting you ask your brother (what of your other siblings, would they help you?) to assist with the larger furniture setup on the weekend-see if you can get him to come over if there's a fave takeout or frozen meal to heat up that would cinch the deal. Still stoked about your Ikea order arriving and that it's really yours!
    @frugalmama -your amazing planning skills would make a great workshop or talk at a library or community centre! That hockey coach needs a thumbs up for being ready for the season-you'll think of something! Way to go on your continuing sales and garage!
    Ciel that is a wonderful idea thank you

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

  5. #260
    Super-walking bean bun! Ciel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    16,349
    Likes Received
    22277
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)




    I actually borrowed two Good Housekeeping magazines and found two foil packet dinner recipes that will appeal for cooler nights.
    Clipped some of the parsley and most of the basil plants this morning. Will see if I can leave the stalks to overwinter (parsley roots would be ideal then) for spring start.

    Mom has not found anything new she can wear at the mall for fall after two recent trips so I recommended she shop her closet (alter a few things that she has kept but not yet worn) for upcoming occasions. Have to get her sewing this month so at least something gets completed.
    2020-Money & *baby Yoda*

  6. #261
    Canadian Guru jasperandchar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Clayton Ontario
    Posts
    12,649
    Likes Received
    39636
    Trading Score
    288 (100%)




    @coupon girl the next time I make the Pear bread I am going to make 2 batches which will make 2 loaves but I will also be putting the 2nd batch in muffins tins - the muffins would could for less time but since they are so hearty & yummy they would be great in the kids lunches.
    @Ciel glad to see you are still keeping yourself busy & nice to see you
    @SassyAshley hope you get done what you have planned for the weekend but please do have some down time for yourself ie relaxing, crocheting etc.
    @saundyl you could substitute nutmeg for the cinnamon if your bf can have nutmeg or leave cinnamon out completely

    Well I'm am staying quiet today, I believe I may have overdone myself yesterday and well I'm pooped but that's okay. It's a nice mild day, we could do without the dampness from the rain but we need the rain so no point complaining.

    Wishing everyone a great day.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

  7. #262
    Mastermind Lynn49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    22,583
    Likes Received
    49834
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)




    I'm actually doing major laundry today for the first time in over a year! I can do the stairs now, going to the basement...I just toss the laundry down first so that I don't have to carry it, since I use both hands on the railing, then go to it! Feels good to be useful again...!!

    Jasperandchar, that recipe looks like a winner...seems like a nice, moist loaf, like the pumpkin one I make. Wish I had pears here today, I'd try it!

  8. #263
    love couponzz YOU AND ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pierrefonds Qc
    Posts
    9,012
    Likes Received
    6259
    Trading Score
    591 (100%)




    Well i'm tired from yesterday but sister invited me over for a BBQ just can't say no lol.Tomorrow need to go to Hawkesburg to pick up some items at Freshco and to used up some coupons that are this expiring in a few days
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

    Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

  9. #264
    Smart Canuck lilo0003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,323
    Likes Received
    15678
    Trading Score
    68 (100%)




    J & C: your baking is inspiring. I have some canned pumpkin to use up so I am looking for scone recipe. DH wants gingersnaps at they are almost 5 bucks a box so I found on another blog I follow and will try my hand at those. Monday our oldest turns 15 and we are going to dinner at a place he has been asking about for ages. Last week it was DHs bday and three weeks ago Logan’s so a dinner out is in order.
    Saundyl: I am so sorry to hear about the death of your cousin, it is understandable you would want to be with your family.
    Today was the 1st day of fall field lacrosse so you can blame the sudden change in weather on me. Wow it was chilly today and all the boys are still in shorts.

    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

  10. #265
    Smart Canuck saundyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    hay River, NWT
    Posts
    2,095
    Likes Received
    9894
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)




    Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    J & C: your baking is inspiring. I have some canned pumpkin to use up so I am looking for scone recipe. DH wants gingersnaps at they are almost 5 bucks a box so I found on another blog I follow and will try my hand at those. Monday our oldest turns 15 and we are going to dinner at a place he has been asking about for ages. Last week it was DHs bday and three weeks ago Logan’s so a dinner out is in order.
    Saundyl: I am so sorry to hear about the death of your cousin, it is understandable you would want to be with your family.
    Today was the 1st day of fall field lacrosse so you can blame the sudden change in weather on me. Wow it was chilly today and all the boys are still in shorts.
    Thank you.

    I have to share. a neighbour gave me this gingersnap receipe back when i was 11 (before i realized some people feel its rude to ask for a recipie when you like their coookies) i thought she made the best ones and asked if she would share so i could learn to make them too.

    Yvonne's Gingersnaps

    1 ½ cups shortening (for harder cookies use ½ lard ½ margarine)
    2 cups sugar
    2 eggs
    ½ cup molasses
    4 cups flour
    ½ tsp salt
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp cloves
    2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp ginger

    Cream Shortening and sugar. Beat eggs and molasses. Add in dry ingredients.
    Roll into 1 inch balls then roll in sugar.
    Bake at 300° for 7 min.
    Crochetlady, Lynn49, Ciel and 5 others like this.

  11. #266
    Canadian Genius Crochetlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ON
    Posts
    7,340
    Likes Received
    16033
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)




    Gingersnaps are our favourite kind of cookie. Haven`t made any in ages...maybe I should again. I don`t usually buy them because the ginger is never strong enough for our taste. Did find some at FB a couple weeks ago for .99 so thought I`d give them a try. OMG! They are sooo good. 4 small cookies and your mouth is hot. I stocked up because I found them in a bin rather than on the shelf so it might not be something they keep in stock.
    saundyl, Natalka, Lynn49 and 5 others like this.

  12. #267
    Smart Canuck saundyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    hay River, NWT
    Posts
    2,095
    Likes Received
    9894
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)




    Quote Originally Posted by Crochetlady View Post
    Gingersnaps are our favourite kind of cookie. Haven`t made any in ages...maybe I should again. I don`t usually buy them because the ginger is never strong enough for our taste. Did find some at FB a couple weeks ago for .99 so thought I`d give them a try. OMG! They are sooo good. 4 small cookies and your mouth is hot. I stocked up because I found them in a bin rather than on the shelf so it might not be something they keep in stock.
    I don't make them as often anymore because of the cinnamon a d without they feel lacking

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Crochetlady, Lynn49, Ciel and 4 others like this.

  13. #268
    Canadian Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    ontario
    Posts
    19,372
    Likes Received
    41270
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)




    well met my friend at talize -and she loved it she found a fall blouse 6.10 with seniors discount and I got a lovely teal tank top with beads all across the top -half off all ladies tanks today so paid 1.99-found no puzzles -so that all I spent
    -then we headed over to swiss chalet -yumm I used a 50% off appitizer cpn =3.50 for garlic bread and we both laughed and had quarter chicken
    -I shared some of my cherry tomatoes with her
    -my girlfriend lost her hubby to cancer 2 years ago in the fall he was 64 -and you know what she misses the most girls -the everyday discussions that you have with your spouse -agreeing or disagreeing on things -deciding on other things together -the talking -she cant get that with her son or daughter that are grown -I told her she can call me anytime -really had a fun late lunch -spent less than 20.00 for the day that is the top at talize and late lunch -now that's frugal for sure

    -just made skor homemade cookies(daughter gave me a free pkg of skor chipits a few months ago) -jasper you inspire me with all your baking so its cool out and cheap hydro on the weekend -yummm hubby and I indulged a little too much oh well

  14. #269
    Canadian Guru jasperandchar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Clayton Ontario
    Posts
    12,649
    Likes Received
    39636
    Trading Score
    288 (100%)




    Supper was moose & pork burgers, no baking today but need to decide what I will bake tomorrow, the freezers are pretty packed so I kind of feel like 2 feet forward 1 foot back (haha) as I'm trying to use what's in the freezer, however, with the baking and wanting to get ahead it's taking up valuable space.....argg....told dh that if he gets a moose we have no choice but to buy another freezer.

    Wishing everyone a great evening now off to Pinterest I could lose hours...great site but time flies away while browsing
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

  15. #270
    Canadian Guru avoncallingu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    SouthCentral Ontario
    Posts
    12,337
    Likes Received
    26318
    Trading Score
    184 (100%)




    Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    Wow Congrats YouandME!!! how exciting.

    Well stress test is done I did the full 20 minutes with running for the last 8 minutes, it was hard but I wanted to really push myself.The cardiologist was not happy with how low my blood pressure was after, it was 120/80 in one arm and 57/44 in the other.He couldn't believe I didn't faint from it being so low.He feels something has been missed and is going to review all of my scans and ultrasounds that have been done the last few months. He told me to get to emerg if my arm or hand gets cold. Otherwise I feel ok, he wants me to keep walking daily but do it twice a day for shorter periods. Hopefully he will come up with some answers for me. I feel good about the appointment and he really took things seriously.
    Thriftygranny, I am glad you have had the test and this doctor is going to dig into your case! Hopefully you get answers soon!
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •