Thread: September 2015 Frugal Chatter Thread

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Good morning!

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning All,
    Angela hope all is well with your little girl.

Nancy borrowing and lending all depends, with a small group I would like my Nanny (my mom's mom) we were always borrowing stuff back and forth issue here was if Nanny liked something you never got it back she would say you can have it back when I die and well she did not lie I did get all my stuff back when she passed. For the most part I have always been one to purchase what I need, I think this is habit I learned from my Nanny growing up if I needed something for a project she always bought it for me instead of me borrowing it (books, movies and so on) so now that is what I tend to do unless it is something truly odd I will only need once. For me if I am willing to lend something to someone really depends on the type of person they are because of the fear of one never getting it back and will they take care of it like I would.

Well trying to get back into my routine apparently 4 days off slightly throws you off a little. We got all of the shelves for the basement built and have started sorting but there is still so much more to be done. We probably could have been further ahead but on the second day Mom decided she hated her plan and decided to start over so we lost quite a few hours to re group. Sadly my bedroom is still in boxes in the hallway, we never got to my stuff. I will probably build my dresser this weekend as Mom is working but I highly doubt I could build the bed alone (shhh don't tell anyone but I did think about it). Right now more then anything feeling a little overwhelmed just feels like we have stuff everywhere. Mom is working today so I am off to the basement alone to see what I can get done without her.

Was going over some stuff last night and realized in the last few months we missed shopping 4 weeks so we now have a nice surplus to be used later. I am quite happy with this as for the longest time it seemed like a surplus would not happen as I just could not seem to get ahead.

Okay time to get back to work and see what today will bring it is pouring here right now so hopefully it will break this heat. Have a great day everyone.

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sotypical View Post
    What a great thread! Hope I can join you!

We bought paint on the weekend! 4 cans. I have a feeling we might end up needing more but we won't know in time. Trying to decide if we should just buy a couple untinted to take advantage of the savings and then we can use them elsewhere or if we just wait and see. Paint isn't cheap! What colour are you using?

Not looking forward to potty training at all! My Mom has my little guy two days of the week, and she thinks she might start trying next week. I feel like I should get on board too to make it easier on everyone.

Hi sotypical welcome to the group

I'm painting my kitchen cabinets bottoms are medium grey,tops are lighter grey.
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Well then potty training will save you on washing cloth diapers! Regardless it will save you money and time
    Hallelujah! Last night was spent handwashing little socks and underpants. I already do less laundry now that this daycare doesn't accept cloth diapers. This weekend, we will be going to the dentist that's almost an hour away, with DH and I having appointments. I'm not sure if putting LO in a diaper for the morning will set her back.

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Inquiring Minds what to know!!!
    Do you borrow items from friends, family members, neighbours?
    And if it breaks are you prepared to replace?
    Or do you do without and save to purchase or rent the item?
    I will borrow anything and everything if people would let me. Avoiding the research and time of buying the item is always welcome. I like to read all the reviews and ask lots of questions so a large purchase could literally take years. Plus, trying it out firsthand is much better than reading the reviews.

If it breaks, I will ask the person if they would like me to replace or offer them the cash value to purchase a different model. If there's something that needs replacing, like the sander I once borrowed, we bought more new sheets than what we borrowed when it was returned.

When LO borrows clothes, I use stain remover (home made) on all the stains and pre-treat or hand scrub all spots, before and after wearing. I use a toothbrush and soap to clean off the bottoms of shoes and clean out all velcro with a long pin before returning. Everything is sorted by size and neatly folded back into their original bags and boxes. If the lender only used fragrance-free, dye-free, etc. products, I will do the same.

I try to make it a general rule to always return things in better condition than I received it in and people generally feel comfortable in lending me most things because I try to take special care of their possessions while I have it. I always ask how they care or maintain the item and will do the same.

If the lender doesn't want it back and it has some resale value, I will shine it up and try and sell it, then offer the lender what I got for it.

DH is in favour of purchasing the item though, and I usually am if we need it for emergencies or if we can use it a few times. I've never really borrowed anything until LO and never really needed to. With LO growing out of clothes before a single wear, or gets fussy if I try to put on an article of clothing that is not approved, I borrow as much as I can! I also really appreciate that the stuff moves out of the house and I don't have to decide where to store or how to get rid of it.

For the most part, I lend out books and I always get a bit disappointed when it comes back dog eared or roughed up. But, the point of having the written word is to share the author's thoughts and I feel that if I'm able to share one of my favourite books and it brings someone else joy, why not? To be honest, I do feel a teensy pang of not wanting to part with it if it's a special edition or something not easily replaced.

@SassyAshley: Good luck on the organizing efforts!

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    @YOU AND ME you're kitchen will look fantastic, what color of paint did you choose, how did the car search go by the way?

Thanks Nancy i hope so i bought paint for cabinets a medium grey for the bottoms and a lighter grey for the tops.I will post before and after pictures when i'm done

I went with dd to see for a car i think i will probably buy this one i got an awesome deal with lots of extras thrown it.Just waitng for the finacing to go through should know this afternoon
    It's a 2015 Hyundai Accent

Last edited by YOU AND ME; Wed, Sep 9th, 2015 at 08:25 AM.
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Happy hump day! Another smooth morning! Little one walked but I drove my teen. Teen didn't eat his lunch yesterday so I packed it for him today lol. (I'm sure he bought something at the caf now that his wallet has money in it ) That is fine for the 1st day but I told him not to make it a habit. I will treat him to lunch some days too but I want him in a habit of making and bringing a lunch. Tonight is the 1st hockey game of the season! Guess I better make sure I dress for the arena!

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Final midwife apt. today! LO is 6 weeks! She did a four hour sleep stretch last night...normally three is her big one. Feel like a million bucks today, lol.

Cupboards are bare, will attempt some shopping this aft. as the cleaner is in and I need to be out of the house anyway. DH is doing jr high ministry tonight and evenings without him have been a gong show...I think I need to crock pot on Wed and Fri...LO wants my full attention at dinner time or fusses turn to cranky pants (eating or bouncing on an exercise ball which is hard to do when preparing dinner). If all I have to do is scoop out of the pot, I can eat after everyone is in bed. I will keep this in mind when shopping.

We are not doing baths on these nights and girls are big enough to do bedtime routine with my supervision (I don't have to dress them or pull out clothes anymore).

Happy Wednesday!
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Good morning, everyone.

Why do we always seem to sleep in on days when there are things to do? Sheesh. Lily dog is annoyed with me cause she got her feet wet on our morning sprint. Quincy cat is cannoyed with me cause there's no sunshine to bask in. I'm annoyed that I have to get things done in half light, cause my main light is acting up and decided to go on strike.

Saw The Dead (based on James Joyce's Dubliners) last night. It's fun to see a workshop. Actors are still reading from pages but are in costume (not necessarily the final choices, but something similar) and a rudimentary set is used (props, etc, which may or may not be in the final staging). All the VIPs were there, including the big boss, so had to be on my best behaviour (aka no napping, which was easy cause the actors were great!).

Off to see my Mom later, so have to get cracking. Will be awol for a day or so. I've been led to believe there are European chocolates waiting for me, not that I'm not looking forward to seeing my Mom.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

@Granger - Crockpots are awesome. I am starting to think about future hockey night meals too. Another thing I'm planning on doing this fall is cook on the weekend and make "freezer dinners" Then I can just pull out and heat. I was pretty good last year to bring dinner for my hockey player to work and heat in the microwave at work just before I left to get him at the afterschool care. Then he had time to eat at the arena before he got on the ice. Then there are the people that work at home and come to the arena hungry and say they are picking something up on the way home!!! Plan people! My rant!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

@Andit - Sounds like fun! Wish I took a year to live in the city when I was single. So many fun things to do.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by YOU AND ME View Post
    Hi sotypical welcome to the group

I'm painting my kitchen cabinets bottoms are medium grey,tops are lighter grey.
    Thanks for the welcome!

I totally have a thing for grey paint. I want to paint all the things grey in our house. The last two rooms I tried to paint light grey both ended up with tints of other colours when they got on the walls lol. So this time hubby picked painted. The spare room is going to be dark dark grey and our room is going to be a dark purplish/grey (more purple then grey but not in your face purple).

As for borrowing/lending. For me it really depends what it is, how much I use it or need it. We borrow the odd tool from my parents because in most cases it doesn't make sense to spend hundreds of dollars on something we only need once or twice. If something were to break, and it has - we would replace it if it was needed. In one case we replaced it but still borrow it once or twice a year and in another we haven't replaced because they weren't sure they needed a new one or if they wanted a different model.

I only lend out things that I don't care if I get back or to people who I know will give it back. I once loaned out something that I had two of and the borrower replaced it with a brand new one because it got dropped but was still useable (just a scratch). I was upset because I didn't need the new one and wanted her to have it but she refused. It was a nice gesture though and I would loan them things in the future again for sure.

I hate borrowing something and having it get ruined. We are really careful with things but sometimes it just happens and then I feel terrible. It's not always worth it.
    Create a safer home, save money & space by cleaning with Norwex. Ask me for more details!
    my blog - imonglue.com

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I'll borrow/exchange with family regularly, especially my mom (since she lives so close). It's awesome. We'll take turns buying things too, to spread out the expenses. So one time she'll buy the steam cleaner, next time we'll buy the power drill, etc. If it's stuff we both use, we share it. Plus, gives us a chance to spend more time together :D
    ~*~I take proofreading, writing, and lettering commissions~*~
    ~*~Send me a private message for details!~*~

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Love Love Love an organized Rep hockey coach! Tournaments are already booked and on the schedule. Out of 4 only one must include hotel stays (and of course its a 4 day tournament!!) but that is ok, I look forward to at least one get-away for hockey. Will have to line up Grandma and Auntie for the teen. The other 3 are close enough to drive back and forth for

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

@sotypical and @lovelikewinter3 : Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by lovelikewinter3 View Post
    I'll borrow/exchange with family regularly, especially my mom (since she lives so close). It's awesome. We'll take turns buying things too, to spread out the expenses. So one time she'll buy the steam cleaner, next time we'll buy the power drill, etc. If it's stuff we both use, we share it. Plus, gives us a chance to spend more time together :D
    I think that's an amazing idea, a very good way to spend time with your mom and environmentally friendly!

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Thanks! It works really well for us, so why not? She quite frugal too (she taught me well!)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    @sotypical and @lovelikewinter3 : Welcome!

I think that's an amazing idea, a very good way to spend time with your mom and environmentally friendly!
    ~*~I take proofreading, writing, and lettering commissions~*~
    ~*~Send me a private message for details!~*~

Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread Information