User Tag List

Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast
Like Tree2072Likes

Thread: March 2016 Frugal Chatter

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Had a great little road trip today. Dropped honey and Ds off at home to start dinner and went to RCSS to grab 6 more free packs of bacon plus 2 microwave bacon all for free and more free Pc pts woo hoo

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Good morning, everyone.

Happy St Patrick's Day!!!

Fighting off a cold - think I caught a chill in the hospital. The test on Monday used to take 7ish hours, over the dozen or so years I've had it, it's been streamlined to last 2.5 hrs. For easy patients. Guess who isn't one. Took an hour, 2 nurses and several pokes to put in an IV, which only partially worked (things went in OK, but getting blood out was another story - what should have been 30 seconds took 15 minutes). The nurse and other patients loved me, cause I insisted on everyone else going first (I'm always a troublemaker, at least my veins are ), so I wouldn't be the cause of another backlog with other testing they had to do in the other dept (I had a later appt for those tests - they know me ). Right now, it looks like I got tipsy and tried to tattoo myself with my left hand - my right arm is a series of green and purple blotches, running from my elbow to my fingers. I suppose the green works for today.

Better get back to resting. I'm supposed to go out tonight, but that's up in the air at this point. Maybe a little Irish whiskey will make things better?

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Andi, too bad the pokes were so tough on you. When I would have to go to ER for IV antibiotics, the nurses would just call an EMT, because they can always get it first try. Otherwise, it would be nurse after nurse...
    Conversely, when my husband needs a poke, they squeal in joy because he's all muscled and veiny...

Still very white out today, and staying below zero - should smarten up for the weekend.

Sharing a virtual green beer with all of you today!

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

@Granger and @coupon girl: Congratulations on the happy news!

@Ciel: Oh no! You were caught out in that hailstorm too? Thank goodness it didn't last long. I was on my way to daycare to pick up LO and the winds and rains picked up so suddenly that I didn't even have time to do up my jacket or put on gloves. One minute it was +13C and sunny and the next it was dark grey and raining down hail. My hands felt frost bitten and were completely red from the barrage of ice pellets.

I can only say thank goodness I didn't have LO with me. With those ice pellets and us walking through residential areas, there would have been no shelter unless I was able to find a porch at someone's doorstep for a moment. Something surely would have blown away out of the stroller and I'd never have been able to get it back. The recycling guys were out trying to collect garbage and it was futile. Garbage and recycling were just blowing everywhere before getting soaked down by the rain.

I haven't been posting lately as this week I had worked myself into a really bad funk. Luckily, these episodes don't happen too often but when they do, I may as well just hibernate until they blow over.

I see the Loblaws group of flyers have been posted (Fortinos, Zehrs, RCSS, etc.) have been posted in the flyer section. I don't really have much on my list this week except for maybe some strawberries and cauliflower. That's alright though as we have an early morning dental appointment an hour away Saturday morning, then a ten course meal on Sunday evening. It'll be LO's first big dinner out so I think we'll dress her up a bit.
    Natalka, Crochetlady, Ciel and 5 others like this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

@Andit : Sorry to hear those needles are so horrible! I'm also in the same club. When I went to the hospital to deliver LO, they actually gave up on the IV for me because the labour was so advanced and they had poked me about four or five times. It could have been much more as I don't think I noticed with the painful contractions going on! Glad you're back home and resting up!
    @avoncallingu : I just noticed the other thread about your DH. You are a pillar of strength. Hopefully everything is going as well as can be at this moment. Keeping you and your DH in my prayers.

A virtual green beer to everyone! Cheers!

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I m just taking advantage of the washer/dryer combo in the condo. Going home with clean laundry will be nice. We are going to try and be on the road for 7am Friday. The kids were great on the drive down but we want a short drive Saturday so are going to try for about 12 hrs of driving. DH will start the day so I can go back to sleep buy once I have my coffee I am good to go. I did close to 75% of the drive down. I am one of those people that loves to drive, althought the torrential rain through north Carolina was less than fun.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@lilo0003 - snow flurries are expected tomorrow in Ontario. Just be ready for the sloppy roads and drivers...We just had snowshowers and some regular showers this afternoon. Your getaway base sounds idyllic...
    @Andit -the healthcare team really got into the Green spirit. Magnesium gel on the bruises (but not on the poke spots-you'll feel a burning sensation on open skin so avoid) will clear up the blue/green/yellow really quickly so your skin will be looking fine within 2-3 days. Drafts inside sealed buildings are reason enough to always have some layers handy.

I found 10 cents at a bus stop today-guess the leprechauns are busy distributing funds today!
    @jasperandchar -Mom felt the bedding comforter sets were too pricey as she just would have considered a comforter purchase but not pay for the shams, bedskirt or decorative pillows. Fortunately she was willing to get me a floral bedsheet set (care instructions say wash on gentle cycle), so I'm happy. The Home Outfitters purchase yielded a $20 savings card on next $75 or more purchase in late March to early April plus a Home Outfitters coupon to use in April (discount on regular price merchandise, with greater discount if you have the store card). Just a note-one comforter set had the wrong 50% off price next to the regular price, so it is worthwhile to doublecheck prices at the displays before going to cash.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The team at Ricardo did a survey of Canadians, their eating preferences and who does the meal preparations or teaches cooking to family members:
    There are many similarities, but “it’s really five countries in one,” Larrivée says of the results.
    The initial Leger survey found that in B.C., Asian flavours and organic foods are more popular, and red meat is consumed less than elsewhere in Canada. Albertans spend more money, eat more meat, drink less wine and involve men more often in food purchases. Ontarians enjoy Caribbean flavours, bring their lunches to work, and are more likely than residents elsewhere to text during breakfast.

Quebecers eat breakfast more often, spend more time at the table, drink more wine and prefer to eat meals at home rather than in restaurants. Respondents in the Atlantic provinces reported eating the earliest, see themselves as beginners in the kitchen and are more likely to learn from mothers and grandmothers than the Internet or cooking shows, preferring meals that are easy and economical.

The survey found that more than a third of children help prepare dinner, usually by setting the table. In Quebec, three-quarters of children help with meal preparation; in Ontario, it’s just over half. Canadian women still prepare two-thirds of all meals, do three-quarters of the grocery shopping and do the dishes more than half (57 per cent) of the time.

Less than half of Canadians make big batches of meals to eat during the week, and only 12 per cent said they stuck to a weekly budget. Three out of five said they consult grocery store flyers.
    http://www.thestar.com/life/food_win...ilies-eat.html
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Found 6 more bacon coupons so had to go to RCSS. The best part is th free PC PTS on top of the free bacon. Made over $20 in PTS on my one card so it is at $40 now. Will use soon for groceries.
    they moved the single peppers to the front with a big sign for $4.99 lb. Crazy. Grabbed anothe 4pk for $2.50 so we are stocked for next week. One pepper would cost that at that price.
    Natalka, Crochetlady, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-well returned some items to old navy today -nothing fit me right
    -anyway took hubby's sister who is on a disability pension out for lunch and treated her at the "village inn"restarant -my grandparents owned a hotel on the same site manyyy years ago -infact I saw my grandmother in one picture in her Victorian white dress-lol -their split pea soup was awesome and small cesar salad -yummm
    -gave my sister-in-law 3 almost new tops and a towel I no longer needed -she then wanted to treat me to hortons for a hot chocolate -nice day all the way around
    Natalka, Crochetlady, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    -well returned some items to old navy today -nothing fit me right
    -anyway took hubby's sister who is on a disability pension out for lunch and treated her at the "village inn"restarant -my grandparents owned a hotel on the same site manyyy years ago -infact I saw my grandmother in one picture in her Victorian white dress-lol -their split pea soup was awesome and small cesar salad -yummm
    -gave my sister-in-law 3 almost new tops and a towel I no longer needed -she then wanted to treat me to hortons for a hot chocolate -nice day all the way around
    I don't like the clothing at Old Navy for myself either. I find the tops thin and cheaply made. I do love their cargo shorts for my youngest and was happy with the polo shirts I bought him just the other day.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Posted some things for sale today. Have 3 items pending pick up tomorrow. $30 and best part I found on side of road at end of summer . Will use money for the house, plants/ new chair cushions etc.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    I m just taking advantage of the washer/dryer combo in the condo. Going home with clean laundry will be nice. We are going to try and be on the road for 7am Friday. The kids were great on the drive down but we want a short drive Saturday so are going to try for about 12 hrs of driving. DH will start the day so I can go back to sleep buy once I have my coffee I am good to go. I did close to 75% of the drive down. I am one of those people that loves to drive, althought the torrential rain through north Carolina was less than fun.
    Glad your holiday is going well.

We have a niece in North Carolina - she posts pics on FB a lot of all the beautiful places she goes in the state - she and her boyfriend do all sorts of adventures; they make me want to visit there.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@Andit I dread getting an iv as I have veins that are so tiny and that move, when I go for surgery they just give me some gas to put me to sleep and do the iv when I'm under and well let's just say I have several puncture wounds when I wake up BUT I would much rather not feel the poking SO I definitely sympathize with you, not fun at all.
    @lilo0003 enjoy your vacation
    @Ciel glad you got some new sheets
    @Frugalbigmama are the bacon coupons on the bacon, I'm late for the party I guess, oh well and if on the bacon when do they expire, thanks

DH & FIL are gone, the boys argued all afternoon and well my nerves are shot. I'll put them to work in the am so they won't be able to argue, 2 separate jobs or else they argue....grrr...

Contractor came this am and since it will be open concept, no closets, no closet doors, framing, new walls, etc the price will be thereabouts what I was quoted as 2 separate rooms so happy dance. And I'm quite certain the building materials will be considerably less atleast that is my forecast time will tell. I got an offer from home depot don't pay for 2 months and another don't pay for 12 months. I will purchase the materials with the don't pay for 2 months as I hate debt. And if my calculations are right, I will book him for the wall in the dinning room and get him to do the tiles in the vestibule. We will remove the existing stick on tiles and current subfloor and get contractor to to put a fresh coat on paint on ceiling, walls, re-paint the French door and install new tiles.

Wishing everyone a great evening and Happy St. Patrick's Day
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Hello folks!
    Great day today - good discussion with dh's oncologist - a plan to move forward

Also - stopped in at Value Village and picked up 2 spring coats ( my favorite one is just too big this season ) and 2 pairs of light pants that fit. Also picked up a couple of craft things and pictures as well as a season of "Friends " for $3.99. Something to watch on down days.

Tomorrow is my first nephew's 15th birthday!

I don't recognize his voice on the phone anymore! !! We'll catch up with him for his traditional birthday song. He usually is on March Break for his birthday. I 'mean not sure how he wishes to celebrate this year.

Wish I could see him to sneak in a hug and a kiss!

Good night folks! Enjoy your last working day of the week tomorrow!
    Natalka, Crochetlady, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread Information