User Tag List

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast
Like Tree2553Likes

Thread: January 2017 Frugal Chatter - All Welcome!!!!

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

So far so good for today
    Laundry is done folded and put away
    Dishwasher is empty and reloaded
    Cleaned out the fridge and did all the hand dishes
    Bathroom counter and toilet are done (will do floors, walls and ceiling tomorrow)
    Cleaned up the front hallway a little bit (still more to do but the garbage and that is gone)

Dinner is in the oven but Mom just texted she is working an extra hour, wish she had of texted earlier as tonight's dinner isn't really an easy re heat meal. I put some beef chunks in the oven with some broth to soften them will add carrots, potatoes and mushrooms and roast them all up. I had been looking online earlier to try to find a new recipe to try and found one I liked but it used a lot of dishes, you cooked everything separately and then combined and cooked for 10 minutes in the oven, I am trying my own version to see if I can cut down in the dirty dishes.

I think tonight I will look for some new recipes to try, we are getting bored of the same old same old. Also looking for one pot/pan and crock pot recipes since I now getting home later and leave earlier so I am finding I really do not have a lot of time at night. I have noticed lately we are really enjoying homemade Chinese/Japanese/Asian recipes. We have been shopping quite a bit at the local Chinese Market and I currently have a serious obsession with wonton wrappers.

Have a wonderful night everyone.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Angela - this is beyond maddening! Sooo sorry you keep having to deal with this nonsense!!

A question for those who have a Costco membership. Do you find it worthwhile. I am in the process of getting new prescription glasses and need new frame as well. Would it be worthwhile to check Costco as well? I have been to five or six different places and have narrowed it down to one frame that I like but find the color a bit dark. So I'm thinking I should maybe look at Costco but do not have a membership for that place.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

My Mom got 2 pairs of glasses at Costco for less then she was quoted at other places for 1 pair.

Personally I love our Costco Membership. I buy a lot of oddities there:
    Almond Butter
    Chia Seeds
    Socks (Love love love their socks)
    Yoga Pants
    Almonds
    Toilet Paper (Kirkland is the only brand besides Charmin Mom doesn't complain about)

We always watch for the following items to be on sale:
    Cheese Slices (real cheese not processed)
    Boursin cheese
    3 Cheese Tortellini
    Downy (I can only use Downy due to skin issues and WOW has it gotten expensive)

I am also currently in love with their pharmacy section, lately I have noticed when the store brand are increasing in price but Costco by far is the best deal. I get 200 allergy pills for $18.99 which is super important when Mom takes 2 a day. I got a year worth of multi vitamins for $13.99 (on sale). They have some of the best probiotics I have found $18.99 for 60 pills these ones are taken once a day (vs some that need to be taken 3 times a day) and do not need to be refrigerated (super important when you travel for work). I also got a bottle of Cold & Sinus and their version of Robax for a ridiculous price (can't think of the price or amounts off top of my head).

Also I will admit it with how busy my life has been the last year I tend to miss a lot of sales so I find the best deal on some day to day items can be found at Costco. Bought Dishwasher tabs on sale and got over half a years worth (I know many people get these for free or close to free but as I said I constantly miss sales). Same with toilet paper since Mom is picky Costco has the best everyday price. For me right now Costco still allows me to get a good deal (not the best deal) but it saves me a ton of time which is more an issue for me these days.

As well their meat is not as cheap as you can get in stores on sale but is by far the best quality around. I LOVE their boneless skinless Chicken Breasts, they are huge, butchered so well and I can usually use 1 to fed 2 of us plus have leftovers if it is cup up in something. Also their beef is amazing but pricey, it is a real treat which usually we cannot afford but my Step Mom buys it for special events and OH so good. Their ground pork is the cheapest around as is their cooked chickens. We buy the cooked Chickens quite often when it is too hot to cook for the 2 of us we usually get at least 3 to 4 meals if not more.

The key to shopping at Costco is knowing your prices and in some cases knowing what you are willing to pay a little more for.
    JadeAngel, Ciel and jasperandchar like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

well currently finished 2 vanity drawers in my bathroom -have 2 more to go was gonna go thrift shopping today but changed my mind ,doing a load of laundry
    -supper today one chicken breast and butterfly porkchop ,mashed potatoes and broccoli or corn
    -taking breaks and may go out to shovel small amount of snow
    -may have a kijiji pickup tonight $6.00 so that will be a total of 22.00 this month almost pays for my haircut on tuesday
    Natalka, JadeAngel, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    Angela - this is beyond maddening! Sooo sorry you keep having to deal with this nonsense!!

A question for those who have a Costco membership. Do you find it worthwhile. I am in the process of getting new prescription glasses and need new frame as well. Would it be worthwhile to check Costco as well? I have been to five or six different places and have narrowed it down to one frame that I like but find the color a bit dark. So I'm thinking I should maybe look at Costco but do not have a membership for that place.
    I would ask to walk around and get a price once in the store.

We have a membership but it's only because we get our propane there as it's the cheapest place.

We don't walk around the store, some things are cheaper but mostly I find more expensive.

It's nothing to drop $250 to $400 while in the store.

Before you commit just walk around or if you know someone who has a membership get your eye glasses when they can take you if you decide they have the best price.

Good luck
    Angela273, JadeAngel, Ciel and 1 others like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    @jasperandchar - what a beautiful greeting; thank you (which is what the below says)!

Attachment 325802
    Thank you
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I just made home made lasagne for the first time in a very long time. I used Healthh harvest noodles and the home made cottage cheese that I made before Christmas, and then froze. It turned out pretty good. There is a 8"x8" pan cooling to go in the fridge. There is some plain leftover ground meat. I'll have to figure out a meal plan for the week. Our twins have their 18 month immunizations on Wednesday. Dh's truck is going in the shop tomorrow, so he'll take my van to work with him. I have a massage booked for tomorrow evening, first one in about 9 years. I should get fully reimbursed for it through dh's medical coverage.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    My Mom got 2 pairs of glasses at Costco for less then she was quoted at other places for 1 pair.

Personally I love our Costco Membership. I buy a lot of oddities there:
    Almond Butter
    Chia Seeds
    Socks (Love love love their socks)
    Yoga Pants
    Almonds
    Toilet Paper (Kirkland is the only brand besides Charmin Mom doesn't complain about)

We always watch for the following items to be on sale:
    Cheese Slices (real cheese not processed)
    Boursin cheese
    3 Cheese Tortellini
    Downy (I can only use Downy due to skin issues and WOW has it gotten expensive)

I am also currently in love with their pharmacy section, lately I have noticed when the store brand are increasing in price but Costco by far is the best deal. I get 200 allergy pills for $18.99 which is super important when Mom takes 2 a day. I got a year worth of multi vitamins for $13.99 (on sale). They have some of the best probiotics I have found $18.99 for 60 pills these ones are taken once a day (vs some that need to be taken 3 times a day) and do not need to be refrigerated (super important when you travel for work). I also got a bottle of Cold & Sinus and their version of Robax for a ridiculous price (can't think of the price or amounts off top of my head).

Also I will admit it with how busy my life has been the last year I tend to miss a lot of sales so I find the best deal on some day to day items can be found at Costco. Bought Dishwasher tabs on sale and got over half a years worth (I know many people get these for free or close to free but as I said I constantly miss sales). Same with toilet paper since Mom is picky Costco has the best everyday price. For me right now Costco still allows me to get a good deal (not the best deal) but it saves me a ton of time which is more an issue for me these days.

As well their meat is not as cheap as you can get in stores on sale but is by far the best quality around. I LOVE their boneless skinless Chicken Breasts, they are huge, butchered so well and I can usually use 1 to fed 2 of us plus have leftovers if it is cup up in something. Also their beef is amazing but pricey, it is a real treat which usually we cannot afford but my Step Mom buys it for special events and OH so good. Their ground pork is the cheapest around as is their cooked chickens. We buy the cooked Chickens quite often when it is too hot to cook for the 2 of us we usually get at least 3 to 4 meals if not more.

The key to shopping at Costco is knowing your prices and in some cases knowing what you are willing to pay a little more for.

Thanks so much for your in depth reply

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Happy Monday! Cold but the sun is out here.

Had a great weekend with my honey/friends etc. But no house work was done and I have tons of laundry to do so that is on the plan today. Will be starting it on my lunch today so I can get hopefully most of it done today. I was smart and cleaned the kitchen and ran the dishwasher Saturday morning before I left. The teen emptied it last night. So I was able to tidy the kitchen from all the cups scattered on the counter last night.

Hope everyone has a great day.
    Angela273, Ciel and jasperandchar like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

My neighbour came over to visit this morning with her two youngest boys, they are close in age to my own children. Dh's truck is in the shop, so he took my van to work and I am without a vehicle. Everyone had lunch or a snack and our twins are both down for their nap. I just tucked our son in for his nap and I just climbed into bed myself, I could certainly use more sleep after last night.
    Ciel and jasperandchar like this.
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Well this past few days has not been so frugal. Our four year old dishwasher's electrical panel quit, the new panel was $190.00, plus labour, I decided to buy a refurbished Bosch for 280.00 plus 125.00 for installation and haul away the lemon of a Whirlpool that we had, one of those appliances that has been trouble since the day we bought it.
    We made homemade sausages and burger mixes all day Saturday, started at 9 am and we were just finishing up in the garage a bit after midnight and I heard our carbon monoxide detector going off in the basement. I flew down the stairs and heard water literally gushing and it was so steamy I couldn't see a thing. Felt my way around to turn off the water, everything was soaked in our furnace room and it ran in to a storage closet and soaked all the storage in there. a hot water pipe had burst and we are so lucky the detector sensed the steam and set off the smoke alarm. I keep my pictures in plastic bins but i had all my son's pictures out last week looking for a specific picture and you guessed it they were wet. I stayed up all night drying all of his pictures from Birth to about 12 years old. I saved almost all of them but what a mess, I was so tired yesterday but had to dry carpet and clean up the mess. I hope this was the last crappy event for awhile!!
    Natalka, Angela273, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    Well this past few days has not been so frugal. Our four year old dishwasher's electrical panel quit, the new panel was $190.00, plus labour, I decided to buy a refurbished Bosch for 280.00 plus 125.00 for installation and haul away the lemon of a Whirlpool that we had, one of those appliances that has been trouble since the day we bought it.
    We made homemade sausages and burger mixes all day Saturday, started at 9 am and we were just finishing up in the garage a bit after midnight and I heard our carbon monoxide detector going off in the basement. I flew down the stairs and heard water literally gushing and it was so steamy I couldn't see a thing. Felt my way around to turn off the water, everything was soaked in our furnace room and it ran in to a storage closet and soaked all the storage in there. a hot water pipe had burst and we are so lucky the detector sensed the steam and set off the smoke alarm. I keep my pictures in plastic bins but i had all my son's pictures out last week looking for a specific picture and you guessed it they were wet. I stayed up all night drying all of his pictures from Birth to about 12 years old. I saved almost all of them but what a mess, I was so tired yesterday but had to dry carpet and clean up the mess. I hope this was the last crappy event for awhile!!
    Yikes! Thank gosh you were home when this happened! A good reminder why you should be home when running appliances (friend had dryer catch on fire once!!)

When my friend was purchasing a dishwasher she did her research and decided Bosch was the best. When I need a new one I will probably buy the Bosch as well.
    Angela273, Ciel and thriftygranny like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    oh my word, thank goodness you hired the alarm and reacted as quickly as you did.

Glad you were able to save the pictures but I can only imagine the mess.

Take care
    Angela273, Ciel and thriftygranny like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Evening all,

Dh was home today and ds1 needed to be picked up at 1pm as he had no exams but needed to go and help out in his construction class.

So we ventured out to Freshco to stockup on pasta. I got 20 boxes as that's all they had.

Then off to WM for whole chickens $1.97lbs I got 4 (will last the month of February).

To the bank to deposit 2 cheques.

Services Canada to ask some questions about the car transactions.

EB Game for game card for the kiddos

Shoppers Drugmart did really well as I had a spend $25 or more get 20x points ended up with 29,380 points......., all the items were on sale that I purchased and were needed so it was win win

The home.....phew.....

I threw 2 pizzas in the oven and called it a day

Tomorrow I will cook a whole chicken for supper with the fixings and I will make shrimp pasta for my lunch and a few containers for dhs lunch this week.

I'm going to thaw some blueberries for dessert.

Yesterday ds2 (Logan) made a nice roast pork supper with roasted potatoes and carrots and 2 apple crisp pies (we used graham crust pie shells from the $ store). I made the gravy. The meal was delish, I told him same time next week (haha) he said maybe for baking (lol).

Wishing everyone a great evening.

Anyone want to share their meal plan for inspiration????

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I posted something for sale this morning and it was already picked up this afternoon. $5 in hand.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast

Thread Information