User Tag List

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree1321Likes

Thread: February 2020-Frugal Chatter

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Thanks for sharing all the rebate updates-one of my friends is using Ebates but I'm not sure if she often shops with Amazon.

Speaking of clearing out things at home--the same friend (above) has been helping one of her friends organize/clean/donate things as the second person's home has been sold. Some things find their way to thrift stores, others are going elsewhere or end up in a bin. We were talking about uses for wire hangers-I recall the abacuses made in Grade 4 as students provided the hangers and the teachers cut the "shoulders" for us to insert into pre-drilled wooden bases. But given the quantity of hangers needing to be homed, I suggested that my friend ask at local dry cleaners if they'd like some or all of the hangers. The other option was to hold onto the hangers for a scrap metal drive in Dundas in April but my friend has another commitment that day (and since I don't drive, I could not offer to take the hangers off her hands).
    Lots of people will pick up scrap metal! We have a bin at the end of the street that funds different projects. Always nice in your own pocket but convenience and charity are good too!

We got $25 for returning a battery core today! Woo woo.
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 2 others like this.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Missing one pair of sandals from Tootsies order. Sent email. They all came separately so tracking was a little more difficult.

Middle went to dentist and we have received a quote to start orthodontic work. Gah, always something. I think we will wait a bit. I have some coverage but I know it is 50% up to a certain amount. I would like to save for this. I had started a dental fund just prior to DH going off work. We used that little bit already in his time off.

I am going to delay any more larger purchases until after we complete our taxes for 2019 (oh and I am hoping other than orthodonics there are not any!!!). I anticipate a tax refund and am hoping that will cover off the rest of the furnace. Then we can start back at $0 and have some saving goals. DH had a nice departure bonus from his last job, but they didn't execute it properly so it was heavily taxed and we should get a some refund from that alone.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Getting organized to take DD to Hawaii next week for reading week-not sure how much reading she will get done but I am sure we will have a blast. Thankfully breakfast and evening snacks are included with our hotel as food is expensive there-being an island and all.
    Which island are you going to the tourist populated one Oahu or the many other ones? How long are you going for?

I went when I was 16 with my school soccer team. We went to Oahu the tourist populated one. Didn’t play much soccer but went snorkeling, body surfing and bogey boarding. And laid around at many beaches accumulating a tan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ROMEO, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.
    Live, Love, Laugh

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Oahu it is.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I applied for teaching contracts for the 2020-2021 school year in my local public school division.

I taught a full day on Monday. I’m booked to teach Thursday and Friday at that school too.

This afternoon I worked on mending some of my own clothes, which had been neglected in the mending pile. It’s good to have a couple more pairs of dress pants back.

It’s supposed to be quite cold tomorrow. I plan on doing some baking, then I’ll roast a ham for supper.
    Last edited by Angela273; Tue, Feb 11th, 2020 at 11:07 PM.
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 2 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Sunday was chili with rice.
    Monday we used the leftover chili with your choice of rice, toast, or corn chips with cheese melted on top.
    Tuesday was chicken Alfredo with speghitini and cucumber salad.
    I’m roasting a ham for supper tonight. I think we’ll have it with cheese perogies and steamed veggies.

My work lunch tomorrow will be a toasted ham and cheese sandwich with a deluxe home made salad. I’ll also pack snacks: yogurt cup, carrot sticks, sliced apple with cheese, and home made trail mix.
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Name:  zehrs correct.PNG
Views: 154
Size:  522.6 KBName:  fortinos error.PNG
Views: 129
Size:  277.5 KB

I assume this points offer at Fortinos in their upcoming flyer is an error... 3,000Pts WUB1 of the listed juices... I think it is suppose to be like the Zehrs offer coming up, 3,000Pts PER $10

3,000Pts/1 would just be tooooooo goooood an offer (with the Del Montes at $1.99)
    barbis9, Ciel and dededi like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Happy Hump day!! Sunny day here today which is nice.

I feel it should be a good day at work today (I hope!) Tonight continue on laundry. (I tried to just get done last night what I knew I would be able to dry and fold at least) DS's bedding was the last load and he took care of getting it out of the dryer and making his bed

I needed some HBA supplies yesterday (body wash etc) It was so nice to go down to the basement and grab what I needed (I don't go crazy anymore and try to only stock up on stuff when the deal works out great with SDM points/coupons etc

Should start packing for our trip next week too I will get all my "beach wear" together tonight. My friend gave me tons of new bathing suits (basically all new-she was a shopper) after she had her twins so I have lots to choose from (this is a girl that would go South pretty much once a month when she was single and wild lol) We are packing very light My guy prefers to just bring carry on and since it is just a fun relaxing trip and just the 2 of us I think it is do-able

I told youngest DS this morning that he is sleeping at Grandma's Friday night He can hang out at home for the evening he just needs to sleep at her house. Since it is Valentines day I told him I would get him pizza or Chinese for dinner. He chose Chinese of course, his fav. Grandma spoils him, she will make him a big breakfast Sat morning before she drives him to work. That's why he doesn't mind going
    I have free hotel room and tickets to Wayne Newton booked I get off early because of the long weekend so will have time to relax in the hot tub and pool before the show. Then we can have a free dinner and breakfast with comps Awesome cheap V-Day getaway
    I was looking for V-Day boxers for my guy. Trying to stay away from sugar so don't want to buy a ton of junk food. Then I thought hey Red wine is RED and he loves it so I am going to buy him a nice bottle and maybe a plant based cheesecake V-Day done!
    barbis9, Ciel and coupon girl like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by greentires4me View Post
    Which island are you going to the tourist populated one Oahu or the many other ones? How long are you going for?

I went when I was 16 with my school soccer team. We went to Oahu the tourist populated one. Didn’t play much soccer but went snorkeling, body surfing and bogey boarding. And laid around at many beaches accumulating a tan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's a great teenage trip memory! Probably helped too that you were on the West Coast, in that travel time was shorter.
    barbis9 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Received my shoe order from my friend today-the order arrived just before suppertime yesterday (that's fast--I usually can count on third day arrival if first day order is remitted prior to 11am). Yes, I've binned my old pair (kept the laces) already and my feet are adjusting to the stiff stability bars in the soles. The old pair had several tears at the sole/mesh seam toebox area so the timing is perfect ahead of the snow that is supposed to come along to Hamilton soon!

Last night, after dinner (leftover meatballs and sauce with 1/2 jar of added sweet basil marinara sauce heated through and with leftover cooked spaghetti added into the pot), I took almost all of the sweet potatoes, peeled them and cubed them to cook them. My blender needed cooking water to mostly puree the chunks later. My baking cupboard does not have cocoa to make the sweet potato brownies (recipe is posted in the Cakes, Cookies, Candies recipe thread). I ate some puree with ground nutmeg and cooled the rest for fridge storage. I also ate one my apples-the others and the pears will likely be made into compote tonight. Since the kitchen was free for a couple of hours (Mom had the tv remote), I decided to juice two pomegranates (I've been wanting to drink juice for a couple of days). The old juicer sounded like it was in a gravel pit trap or serious hail storm as the seeds hit the juicer cavity while I was pressing down on the arils with the plastic pusher. Mom was not amused. Happily, I had about 1-1/2 cups of juice that quickly was enjoyed!

One load of kitchen linens was washed before I settled in to watch tv after 10pm and the rerun of TVO's The Agenda (second segment was about Hamilton).

Today I was really close to pulling out my last $20 to spend but I quickly reminded myself to wait until next week, as I'll need groceries (plus the new flyers will be in the community paper bundle later today). I have some beer cans to return tonight prior to a talk I want to attend. I know I would have bought more pop and maybe more Ryvita crackers (I have throughly enjoyed the Rye and Red Quinoa variety with black raspberry jam almost daily).
    barbis9 likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Monday February 17 is Family Day in Ontario and is a holiday in a few other provinces.
    In Hamilton, many library branches and grocery stores will be CLOSED (even Walmart Superstore in Ancaster)--> HPL will have Central and Turner Park open for Family Day activities between 1-5pm.

Some malls in Tourist Designated areas may be open:
    Toronto Eaton Centre https://www.cfshops.com/toronto-eato...irections.html
    Square One (Mississauga) https://shopsquareone.com/hours
    Pacific Mall (Markham) https://www.pacificmalltoronto.ca/
    Vaughan Mills https://www.vaughanmills.com/hours-directions/
    Outlet Collection at Niagara https://www.outletcollectionatniagar...rs-directions/
    Canada One Outlets https://www.canadaoneoutlets.com/hours
    barbis9 likes this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Afternoon Everyone,
    Pretty good night last night, I got the dishwasher emptied and reloaded, I think Mom is going the hand dishes today. I also built the new lap to the living room, we have had the new light for I do not know how long as the old one still worked but was falling apart so last night I built the new one and put it in place. Tonight I will get rid of the old one as I did not want to go outside last night. Also spent about 2 hours working on sorting my part balls of yarn, all I can say is wow when I start crocheting I was very rough on balls of yarn as all the part balls are knotted and a mess. Both me and Mom worked on this and are about half way through.

I can see the lack of take out is getting to Mom, she tried to push for pizza last night but I made Nachos instead. I get it but we just cannot keep spending the money on take out. Mom is very much about right now and to her it isn't the money we are saving it is the feeling of not being able to have take out. It the same as when you say budget it isn't about saving money all she sees is having to go without, I get it but I don't, but oh well, no take out last night.

I am torn about tonight, good news is Mom did get the whole weekend off, so nice but now I cannot decided do I shop so we can cook this weekend or keep trying to save our grocery budget money. I know we need to go Costco shopping and that is scaring me, Mom read me the list last night and all I could think is wow that is going to hurt the budget. I think I have the money to cover it but there is just something about Costco, my knees always shake a little when we are checking out.

Alright, time to get back to work. Have a great day everyone.
    ROMEO, Ciel and coupon girl like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

afternoon all.
    busy busy day. but its a good busy.
    my airmiles credited. so that is so pretty in my acct right now.

i have over night kids tonight. and a chicken ppot pie for supper.

they have announced another strike day. Feb 21.
    and that is it from my end of the province.
    ROMEO, Angela273, barbis9 and 3 others like this.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Who knows ... but I Would Rather Be Someone's Shot of Whiskey, Than Everyone's Cup of Tea
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Another addendum to this ... came across this in a tweet from well respected advisor today. Be careful if transferring to a RoboAdvisor!

https://cutthecrapinvesting.com/2020...-robo-advisor/

Quote Originally Posted by GoodBoy View Post
    If you personally withdraw the $ and put it into another I think you will have tax consequences. You need to have it done properly.

This should help: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...our-tfsas.html

Also this says similar:
    https://www.ratehub.ca/investing/tfsa-transfer

Make sure to have it done properly.

I had mine moved between companies with all the proper paperwork.
    Last edited by GoodBoy; Wed, Feb 12th, 2020 at 04:05 PM.
    barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Today is the 100 Days of school party for ds. He has been looking forward to it. He has been reading a series called Battle Bugs. He finished book 8 last night. The chapter books are 100+pages each and he reads it in 3-5 days. We are impressed. We have been borrowing them through the public library with inter-library loans. Book 9 just arrived and I hope to pick it up this evening.

We are under an extreme cold advisory today. It’s supposed to be short lived.

I am currently baking 3 dozen whole wheat banana chocolate chip muffins. I’m also roasting a ham for supper.

Next week is February break, no school. Monday is a Stat for us, Family Day.
    Last edited by Angela273; Wed, Feb 12th, 2020 at 05:18 PM.
    ROMEO, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread Information