User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Friends?

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

All my friends are in a different town, i moved here for BF

BUT about 1.5 years ago I met a group of gals online and we clicked...now they are my BFF's. Been to each others houses, go out for dinners, always there when I need to chat, and we have promised to include each other in our weddings (whenever that may be haha) All thanks to SC!

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I have 3 best friends, one best friends since we were 12 and the other 2 a few years but i can always count on them and Im always there for them too

Trading Score
    50 (98%)

I only have my DH. No close friends, no children.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

I have one friend who I'd consider to be close enough that I could call in an emergency and bare my soul to. DH thinks I'm weird because I have so few friends - he's a loner, but still has more friends than me by a long shot.

I was always, and still am, quite a bit of a loner, so I guess it goes with the territory.

Interestingly, from an academic standpoint, there is quite a bit of research out there showing that many, many people have less than five friends. It gets worse as you get older. A Canadian study I can recall mentioned that 14% of seniors have no friends whatsoever, and a further 20% (If I remember right) had 2 or fewer friends.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by neelkamalll1979 View Post
    I only have my DH. No close friends, no children.
    I guess I should count my DH in the group as well. We have a relationship unlike any that I've ever had with a guy. We aren't married (we're common-law) and have a relationship that seems almost more like we're buddies who hang out than anything romantic a lot of the time. I've never been into "romance" or massive displays of affection and neither has he, so it suits us both. It sounds weird but I love it.

So I guess, in that case, I have DH and one close friend.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

We have true friends - numbers you can count on two hands.
    We have TONS of acquintances.

@KrazE, yes I agree that in 2012 people can be "catty, gossiping, lying, deceitful, jealous, and nasty". We just try to treat them the way we want to be treated. If they don't reciprocate, I don't care. But I even make friends with strangers in the grocery store - discussing and loading up on great deals. Lol. So, I'm kinda weird.
    hollyquaiscer likes this.

Trading Score
    11 (100%)

During high school I had 5- 6 really close friends and two best friends. I went through an extreme rough time in high school in grade 10 and 11 due to my parents divorce and one of my best friends moving three provinces away. I began to slip into a depression and stopped going to school. Instead of being there for me, my close friends went on with their lives. When I would go to school the odd day - I felt so out of place due to their inside jokes and not being invited out with them on the weekends. Eventually in my grade 12 year I dropped out. The one true friend through it all was my best friend who moved three provinces away. She was feeling alone too so we were both in some what of the same boat. It is true that when times get rough you really find out who your true friends are.

A year or so later I met my now ex and he became my best friend here. He was the person I could count on and would spend all my time with. I met friends that were his buddies girlfriends and we would often hang out without the guys. They are still my friends but are also still friends with my ex as well. We also do not get together that often. Recently after 11 years and a few rough patches my ex and I broke up. I know that this is for the best but due to my best friend being three provinces away this whole process is just all that much harder. I feel I have no close friends I can lean on and go out with in my own province. The odd time I will get together with the other girls its fun but we don't do it often. I am almost close to being done with my BBA and have made a few friends at school but none of them are close friends. I just feel with the situation with my ex, having so few people to lean on or go out enjoy the weekend with... it makes it that much harder to get through this. it's going to be a much slower process.
    Last edited by Jessica_25; Thu, Jan 26th, 2012 at 01:17 PM.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I have a handful of friends and many acquaintances. I don't think I have trust issues, but friendships are relationships and they require work, and sometimes I have the time for my friends, other times I don't. I feel bad, but hope they'll be there when I'm less busy (I work about 50 hours a week, plus 30-60 mins commute each way from work, I'm exhausted and stretched to my limit some weeks...).
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

have this ever happened to you?
    you are always the first to connect and intiate contact
    i was the last to email jenna, never heard back
    i was the last to email brandon never heard back
    i always have to wait for leila to call me first if not she would always say she is busy when i call her
    that said......... it's great to spend the long weekend alone with my beautiful cat, no expectations no small talk
    Last edited by frugal50; Mon, May 21st, 2012 at 05:35 PM.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I'm losing my best friend of over 23 years to ALS....there won't be another friend like her. She was as close as any sister could have been and we've seen each other through good times and bad times...we finish each other's sentences and don't even have to say a word to laugh at something hysterically. She can't talk very well now, so we let our ipads do that for us....At my age it's difficult to find even aquaintances, let alone good friends. I've been privileged to have the best friend anyone could have asked for.......

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My personal theory on friends is the generation set that we come from. Friendships have been replaced by longer work days/weeks, both mates working full time and trying to raise a family, media/electronics replacing hanging out with friends.(mainly because everyone's too burned out to make the effort of conversation)
    I have been fortunate to belong to an organization that is basically family no matter where I go. That said, it does take a lot of effort to find and develop a deeper relationship. . someone who really "gets" you and thinks you're great the way you are. . .or at least acceptable. Lol !
    You need to have a level of trust in that friend, but also remember they're human and will screw up and probably hurt you at some point (much like a mate) but if we want to be happy, we have to let those things go. . .and remember we've screwed up too.
    I have many friends but just a few close ones. (Close friends are time consuming! who has time for more then a few!) They have risen to the occasion more times then I can count and I can only hope they feel the same way about me. . .
    anisa, DaveP and ssbean like this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by frugal50 View Post
    do you have any REAL close friends?
    people you can count on at anytime?
    friends who accept you for who you are?

I can honestly say I have NO real friends
    if something ever happened to me, I have only my family members ( if that)
    I find the older you get, the less friends you have.... that said, I was and always a LONER.... so friendships are not that important in my life.
    I do have friends. We do, my wife and I. I am not christian, but my wife is. And she volunteers at a Christian outreach center that helps those who are living difficult lives. She serves these folks several hours a day without pay, and when revenue Canada went all nasty on us last year and we lost our Child Tax Benefit, those folks helped us feed our chidren. One salary is not enough to feed 7 kids. It's all fixed up now, but it was hard there for a while. Really hard.

So, yes, I have friends. It's mostly my wife though who has friends. She's way better than me at making friends. I'm always pleasant to folk, but I'm not outgoing - I don't seek people out to make friends, my wife does. She loves people and loves getting to know them. I love people too, but find the getting to know them part awkward.
    Last edited by DaveP; Tue, May 22nd, 2012 at 01:43 AM.
    anisa, ssbean and frugal50 like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Lol, Dave...you two sound like my hubby and I! For instance, last night, leaving the movie with him and another couple, I got into a nice conversation with a woman about the movie, while the three of them stood off a bit, letting us chat for about 10 minutes...after we said our good-byes, he asked me who she was...I said, I don't know...just some lady....and they had a good laugh...Here they thought we'd known each other for eons, and we'd just met! LOL!! I'd talk to anybody anywhere, which used to embarrass our daughter when we were out shopping together and she was a teenager...My hubby, otoh, sticks to his golf and pool-hall (winter activity) buddies....yep, we're quite different that way, too!
    I guess opposites DO attract, eh?
    DaveP likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    Lol, Dave...you two sound like my hubby and I! For instance, last night, leaving the movie with him and another couple, I got into a nice conversation with a woman about the movie, while the three of them stood off a bit, letting us chat for about 10 minutes...after we said our good-byes, he asked me who she was...I said, I don't know...just some lady....and they had a good laugh...Here they thought we'd known each other for eons, and we'd just met! LOL!! I'd talk to anybody anywhere, which used to embarrass our daughter when we were out shopping together and she was a teenager...My hubby, otoh, sticks to his golf and pool-hall (winter activity) buddies....yep, we're quite different that way, too!
    Lol, yep. You sound like you're just like my wife.

I guess opposites DO attract, eh?
    And thank goodness for that. Two against the world. What one can't handle, the other can.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I find that my groups of friends change over the years.
    My DH is my very best friend and I would count my sibs among my best friends.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information