User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree170Likes

Thread: Lessons from very rich people

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JennyFromTheRock View Post
    Yeah, well the way it works with my husband is he works up north for 30 days, then works home for 30 days. When he is away he gets paid 12 hours a day for just being there. Any hours he works is overtime. So regardless he gets paid 140 hours every 2 weeks.... thats basically compensation for being away from his family. Then what he works after that is over time, even though it technically isn't over time. He still only ends up working 10 - 12 hours a day up there, but gets paid for 24. When he is home get just gets paid for his normal work hours ( 10 - 12 hours a day ) he still usually brings home about $20,000 a month though, so as much as it sucks hes away, it makes for a cozy ( but sometimes lonely ) life.

It would such if he were salary though, he wouldnt make nearly that much.
    I hear you. Mr Penguin travels a lot for work and has been away from us for several weeks at a time, so I totally understand the the cozy and lonely stuff...plus the whole second honeymoon period when he's back for several weeks.
    JennyFromTheRock likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    I hear you. Mr Penguin travels a lot for work and has been away from us for several weeks at a time, so I totally understand the the cozy and lonely stuff...plus the whole second honeymoon period when he's back for several weeks.
    I think its really cute that you call him "Mr. Penguin" lol!! Makes me smile every time I see it lol
    cabmonk and Darth Penguin like this.
    Please Help My Friends Neice Win Wal-Mart's "Mom of the Year" to win $100,000 for "The Canuck Childrens Hospice"
    http://www.momoftheyear.ca/mom/?mom_id=23512
    A Brave Mom of 3 lives every day knowing her baby will soon pass away. PLEASE Click to read her story and vote!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Next time you arrive at a Food Basics, No Frills or Freshco, check out the number of luxury cars in the parking lot.
    A friend didn't want to shop at Food Basics because the store wasn't up to her standards. When I told her to look for the cars, she changed her mind. It's one of her regular stores now. She brags to me about her deals.

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Next time you arrive at a Food Basics, No Frills or Freshco, check out the number of luxury cars in the parking lot.
    A friend didn't want to shop at Food Basics because the store wasn't up to her standards. When I told her to look for the cars, she changed her mind. It's one of her regular stores now. She brags to me about her deals.
    I think its funny someone wouldnt want to save money!!! I have friends who I know through my husbands work, who wouldnt use a coupon to save their lives! I think they are insane lol ( and they think I am for using them!! lol ) I started couponing back when I was single and basically HAD to in order save money, but as the years went by and after I met my husband and money wasnt an issue any more, I still couponed and always will. Why not in my opinion?? It dosnt matter how much you make, if you want to stay wealthy, make good choices. I think couponing is a great choice!!

If there is a good insert out in a particular week..... my husband and I go to the recycler and sometimes my husband jumps right down into the paper recycle bin... people look at him like he's either crazy, or poor.... little do they know he makes $200,000 a year!! Then when he's done he hops out of the garbage ( basically!! lol ) and drives off in his $70,000 truck!!! lol!!
    Last edited by JennyFromTheRock; Sun, May 20th, 2012 at 10:44 PM.
    cabmonk likes this.
    Please Help My Friends Neice Win Wal-Mart's "Mom of the Year" to win $100,000 for "The Canuck Childrens Hospice"
    A Brave Mom of 3 lives every day knowing her baby will soon pass away. PLEASE Click to read her story and vote!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

carebearhamm, aemi and frugal50 like this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    I cringe everytime some-one attacks Bill Gates over his charitable concerns. Many people complain because The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation doesn't support their agenda rather tahn support the good works the foundation does.
    This also drives me nuts. Usually it's one person's opinion circulated company-wide via email at work and I really have to bite my tongue. If this person donated the same percentage of his income to charity, I wouldn't be as bothered.
    matrix82 and Darth Penguin like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think its funny someone wouldnt want to save money!!! I have friends who I know through my husbands work, who wouldnt use a coupon to save their lives! I think they are insane lol ( and they think I am for using them!! lol ) I started couponing back when I was single and basically HAD to in order save money, but as the years went by and after I met my husband and money wasnt an issue any more, I still couponed and always will. Why not in my opinion?? It dosnt matter how much you make, if you want to stay wealthy, make good choices. I think couponing is a great choice!!

If there is a good insert out in a particular week..... my husband and I go to the recycler and sometimes my husband jumps right down into the paper recycle bin... people look at him like he's either crazy, or poor.... little do they know he makes $200,000 a year!! Then when he's done he hops out of the garbage ( basically!! lol ) and drives off in his $70,000 truck!!! lol!!
    My grandparents are similar....they have a lot of money and they are thrifty and frugal. When they were younger my grandfather would dumpster dive for electronics and fix them up and give them away if he could not use it. I think that they accumulated a lot of their wealth by being so frugal. Why spend money when you do not have to?

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by i_forget View Post
    My grandparents are similar....they have a lot of money and they are thrifty and frugal. When they were younger my grandfather would dumpster dive for electronics and fix them up and give them away if he could not use it. I think that they accumulated a lot of their wealth by being so frugal. Why spend money when you do not have to?
    I was walking with a friend.
    Someone threw out a hanging basket of wilted flowers in a big field.
    My friend spied geraniums and took the wilted flowers home as we walked.
    I was a little embarrassed.
    Fast forward to the next year and my friend's found flowers are blooming really well.
    Just like your grandfather's found treasures.

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    I was walking with a friend.
    Someone threw out a hanging basket of wilted flowers in a big field.
    My friend spied geraniums and took the wilted flowers home as we walked.
    I was a little embarrassed.
    Fast forward to the next year and my friend's found flowers are blooming really well.
    Just like your grandfather's found treasures.
    No shame in saving money!! When I first met my husband he wasnt into couponing. I would send him to the store to get something, with a coupon, and he would come back with the coupon still in his pocket. Once we started living together and he saw how much I saved, he got into it too!!
    matrix82 likes this.

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

I try to use as many coupons as I can, I don't have the stockpiles some have lol. I did once spend $18 for about $50 worth at walmart and got just with good deals $90apx worth at shoppers for about $19..I once used 10 of the free sense and spray holder coupons at zellers and first they didn't want to take all 10 but one of the cashiers a till over shouted oh just take them already,lol.
    I used most of the holders for christmas stocking stuffers and kept 3 for myself. Hey and I'm a single guy lol.
    Last edited by cabmonk; Tue, May 22nd, 2012 at 08:44 AM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

thanks so much for sharing this, is inspiring me a lot!
    Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. Get up to 18 GB in free online storage when you sign-up using this link -> http://db.tt/218DjYg

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have found though "Many rich people do believe in God"
    here's a quote I like a lot

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    This also drives me nuts. Usually it's one person's opinion circulated company-wide via email at work and I really have to bite my tongue. If this person donated the same percentage of his income to charity, I wouldn't be as bothered.
    The Widow's mite..
    matty's mom and aemi like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Really good overvaluations about your 3 friends. This is quite typical among those of means.... have you ever read the Millionaire Next Door? It's a good book that describes much of what you have just mentioned. Thanks for the informative post/observations.

mandolinatou
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I'm definitely not rich but I would like to be one day. I spend less than I earn and invest in my retirement account at 12% of my salary....and save on top of this and prepay every year on our mortgage. Today my husband and I, both very plainly dressed went into a furniture store that was over-staffed considering the number of shoppers in the store. The people ignored us for a while and the staff just chatted among themselves. We went with our daughter and we were not really there for fun time. Finally a lady came to help us and we shopped for 10 minutes picked up the item she certainly earned a commission on, and went to leave. Which is when I saw all her co-workers who were talking instead of helping us, giving her the evil eye and walking by to look at the computer screen to see what we bought so quickly. So then I added caution to the wind and decided for the first time to buy an expensive pillow in the store you can try before buying. I think that she probably makes an even better commission on that and honestly its an investment that I have been thinking to make for a while..it made me happy to give it to her in front of her judgemental collegues. It gets me that people constantly judge in the stores. Yes sometimes people go to browse and sometimes people go to buy but all you need to do is ask.
    Caseythegoalie likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information