User Tag List

Page 52 of 226 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 152 ... LastLast
Like Tree10151Likes

Thread: The fun's over! It's time for an Easter (Sunday, March 31) Challenge!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Just a bit of humor,my sister says "Reminds me of me somedays" lol me also.

walkonby and i_forget like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

LOL!! That's so funny! Esp when those zebras fall over! Thank you for the giggle~

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Whole wheat couccous with , corn, chick peas, edamame and spices for supper, pretty decent and really filling.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Snow day for the kids tomorrow....break out the chocolate!
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Patty I watched the video about grain,it was informatic but thats a whole differant lifestyle,kudos to people who can live it.Its sad to think that almost everything we eat is no good.
    walkonby likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Received an email today from the potential job stating they were moving forward with other candidates.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

So sorry to hear Curt. I am sure it is because there is a better job for you somewhere else.
    walkonby and i_forget like this.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

well....let me say, I am all for trying something new concerning health and DH was telling me about " oil pulling " ( Google it if ya want) Anyways, there was no freaking way I lasted even 1 minute! ( was supposed to be done for 20 minutes) and i used organic sesame oil too! Blech!! not for me.

babies teach us acceptance

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bluerose View Post
    Patty I watched the video about grain,it was informatic but thats a whole differant lifestyle,kudos to people who can live it.Its sad to think that almost everything we eat is no good.
    It's not as hard as you think, but yes it does take a lot of figuring out. Where to buy stuff, what is really whole grain, etc. We are slowly getting there.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by i_forget View Post
    Snow day for the kids tomorrow....break out the chocolate!

We are supposed to get 25cm but I doubt they will call a snow day. We haven't had one yet this year and usually they call it only at 30+ cm.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bluerose View Post

I think we can only try to be as aware as possible. Information, education and learning to NOT trust those who are in power positions just because they say so is the key. People/companies are lying to us all the time. We just have to sort through the crap.

This whole business of the mediterranean diet yesterday came out again but this has already been debunked. They pick their cases and skew numbers to suit them.

http://engine2diet.com/the-daily-bee...erranean-diet/

Anywho, I am not preaching, this is just stuff I have been following for the last 9 months or so. Everything is an eye opener and we all have to sort it out and find out what works for us.

Just 9 months ago I told my friend I would never, never, never give up chicken, well I am eating my words now
    walkonby, Granger and i_forget like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Interesting email about the so called good medeterranean diet. Always interesting to see who funds these studies.

"This will be a quick, point form response to today's news headlines regarding the latest study on the supposed health benefits of the Mediterranean Diet. I'm not spending too much time on this because, at this point, my hope is that I have armed you sufficiently to understand how to interpret a study, and how to differentiate pseudo-science, otherwise known as pure advertising, from real science. My favorite is point #10, but you have to read 1-9 first

#1: The headlines: "Another Study Says Mediterranean Diet Good for the Heart" Eating olive oil, lots of nuts and red wine = healthy heart.

#2: If you read the actual study you will find out that the actual results showed that this diet actually promoted cardiovascular disease, in fact this was Dr. Esselstyn's first observation- more on his response later.

#3. Dr. Sanjay Gupta from CNN commented on how poor and pointless this study was- and that the headlines are extremely misleading.

#4. What did they actually do in this study? First, they attempted to have a control group that would go on a low fat diet (10% fat). The other 2 groups would consume a diet rich in olive oil, nuts and wine. In the end they would see which group suffered from more heart-related incidences.

#5: What actually happened? Halfway through the study the control group (supposed to be consuming 10% fat) were found to be consuming over 30% fat. So did the researchers end the study seeing as they lost their control group? NO. They CHANGED the purpose of the study - they decided that this would no longer be a study comparing low fat to the Mediterranean diet- this would be a study comparing a Mediterranean diet to whatever the hell the other group felt like eating. Dr. Sanjay Gupta noted that the headlines should have read "Low fat diet hard to stay on"...

#6: What were the results? The results were that the Mediterranean diet led to cardiovascular disease. More results later.

#7: How was the study executed? For almost 5 years they followed 7,447 people in Spain who were overweight and unhealthy when chosen to participate. They divided these people into 3 groups, one group was supposed to be the low fat (10% fat max) control group, and the other 2 groups would be counseled to follow a Mediterranean diet- meeting rigorously with dietitians- and being instructed to avoid cookies, cakes and other processed food. The low fat group didn't have much counseling other than a leaflet in the mail once a year! And because these people in the low fat group were not able to maintain their diet (I guess the yearly flyer on how to do it wasn't effective) instead of abandoning this study (which is what you would do when you no longer have a control group) researchers changed the study and let go of the original hypothesis. Did I mention that the participants in the groups were all overweight to begin with?

#8: You want the results? Good. Here they are. In total 288 cardiovascular events occurred. 109 of those events occurred in the low fat group- which turns out were consuming over 35% fat- apparently this failure wasn't sufficient to end this study, 96 cardiovascular events occurred in the Mediterranean group that consumed lots of olive oil, and 83 incidences with those in the Mediterranean group that were assigned a diet rich in nuts. Can you do the math? That's 179 cardiovascular incidences for those following a Mediterranean diet. What did the headlines of the study say again?

#9: By the way, the nuts and wine were supplied for free by the industries, one study researcher sits on the Walnut Commission, and another researcher receives grants from the International Nut and Dried Fruit Council, and the Spanish government funded the study. Hey, can anybody list me some of Spain's major exports? I'm just saying...

#10: I interrupt this programming to bring you Spain's top causes of death: #1 cause of death for spaniards is Coronary Heart Disease (120,743), #2 cause of death for spaniard is Stroke (89,232).... hmm... what did that study say again regarding a Mediterranean diet? The #3 cause of death in Spain is Alzheimer's/Dementia... this could explain the errors and forgetfulness that is demonstrated in this study. I apologize for the sarcasm, but it's just a tool I use to remain calm when I witness such manipulation that I know will affect the lives and families of many people who read the headlines. By the way, real science today correlates fish consumption with Alzheimer's (Spain's third leading cause of death). But real science doesn't have the financial backing required to make the daily news headlines...and I already explained in a previous email entitled "The Monkey Show" how these headlines are organized to appear around the world in the same day to make them seem like breaking news.. when in fact it's just a marketing strategy provided by the industries that have lots to gain from this press.

Finally, Here is Dr. Esselstyn's short response to the highly unethical headlines, proceeded by my final comment:

---------------------------
    Misleading Research
    The New England Journal of Medicine article entitled Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease with a Mediterranean Diet is misleading and inappropriately titled. It should read Promotion of Cardiovascular Disease with a /Mediterranean and Control Diet.
    All three dietary groups had almost equal facility promoting the growth and clinical appearance of cardiovascular disease in those who at study onset did not have this illness. The single exception was the control group which had a significantly higher stroke rate; however at baseline, they also appeared to have a greater BMI, waist circumference, hypertension, anti hypertensive agents and diuretics suggesting a cohort at greater risk for strokes.
    Earlier this month the British Medical Journal updated the randomized Sydney Heart Study, which confirms the findings of this present Spanish study that the addition of oils worsened the outlook for cardiovascular disease.
    By way of contrast, our small plant based nutrition study (devoid of 10 food items contained in the Spanish Study Control diet group known to injure endothelial cells) took patients with established advanced cardiovascular disease and not only halted disease progression but was able to demonstrate disease reversal. We will shortly publish an expanded version confirming our original findings.
    The epidemiological ultimate confirmation of the power of plant based nutrition to prevent cardiovascular disease is best demonstrated in T. Colin Campbell’s China Study. In a rural province in China over a three year period examination of over 250,000 death certificates, not one death was attributable to cardiovascular disease.
    Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr., M.D.
    -------------------------------------------
    In conclusion, I find this level of manipulation to be incredibly inhumane. We've gotten to the point where it becomes difficult to see the lines between science and pure advertising. If you want liver or cardiovascular disease I highly recommend a diet rich in wine and oil- go nuts on it, and for Alzheimer's I suggest a few servings of fish weekly. Bet on it."
    hollyquaiscer and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

ha ha previous double post? How did I do that?
    Last edited by walkonby; Wed, Feb 27th, 2013 at 05:54 PM.
    hollyquaiscer likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Patty ( and others) sorry to use this ( our sacred weight loss challenge place) but I just read the latest article I got in my email from the Organic Connections newsletter, and does it ever confirm even more about all the fast and loose " rules " there are in making and selling food for the masses.

Pandora’s Lunchbox: An Inside Look at Processed Foods

You’ve heard of pink slime. You know trans fats are cardiovascular atrocities. You’re well aware that store-bought orange juice is essentially a scam. But, no matter how great of a processed-food sleuth you are, chances are you’ve never set food inside a processing plant to see how many of these products are actually made.

Writer Melanie Warner, whose new exposé-on-the-world-of-processed-foods book, Pandora’s Lunchbox, is out this week, spent the past year and a half doing exactly that. In her quest to explore the murky and convoluted world of soybean oil, milk protein concentrates (a key ingredient in processed cheese), and petroleum-based artificial dyes, she spoke to food scientists, uncovered disturbing regulatory loopholes in food law, and learned just how little we know about many of the food products on supermarket shelves.

After reading Pandora’s Lunchbox, I sent Melanie some burning questions via email. Here is what she had to say:

Q. The term “processed food” is ubiquitous these days. The food industry has attempted to co-opt it by claiming canned beans, baby carrots, and frozen vegetables are “processed foods.” Can you help explain why a Pop-Tart is years away from a “processed food” like hummus?

A. You have to ask yourself, could I make a Pop-Tart or Hot Pocket at home, with all those same ingredients listed on the package? How would you even go about procuring distilled monoglycerides and BHT, for instance?
    Yet it is possible to make your own black beans at home by soaking and then cooking them. You could even attempt a rudimentary canning operation to preserve them. You can also make hummus by grinding chickpeas with a few other ingredients like lemon juice. The “processing” these foods go through is minimal and not disfiguring.

Q. Many people are put at ease when government agencies and the food industry state that controversial substances are “Generally Recognized as Safe” (GRAS). Why is this not as comforting as it sounds?

A. The GRAS process, as it’s known, is one of self-regulation. If a food-ingredient company wants to introduce a new additive, they—not the FDA—hire some experts or a consulting firm to make the determination about whether this new ingredient is safe. Sometimes you’ll hear that company X has been awarded “GRAS status” for its new ingredient, but the FDA doesn’t award anything. The agency merely has the option to review what companies tell them.
    Except when they don’t. In a glaring regulatory loophole that dates back to 1958, the GRAS system also happens to be voluntary. It’s perfectly legal for companies to keep the FDA in the dark about new additives, and consequently there are some 1,000 ingredients the FDA has no knowledge of whatsoever, according to an estimate done by the Pew Research Center.
    So although the FDA seeks to reassure us they are keeping a close watch over our food, the job of rigorously regulating thousands of food additives is simply too big for an underfunded agency. Brominated vegetable oil, for instance, the subject of a well-circulated petition by a 15-year-old in Alabama, was ged for further study in the ’70s, testing that was never done. And BHA, a “probable carcinogen” according to the Department of Health and Human Services, is still allowed in food.

Q. You investigated how soybean oil is made. Can you explain why calling it “natural” is a complete misnomer?

A. It’s not easy getting mass quantities of edible oil from soybeans, which are small, brittle beans containing less than 20 percent oil. First you have to drench them with hexane, a toxic chemical solvent that is known to cause nerve damage in humans. The hexane percolates through the soybeans several times and is then removed from the oil (any residues that remain are small.)
    After that you have to treat the oil with sodium hydroxide and phosphoric acid, then bleach it with a filter, and deodorize it under heat and an intense vacuum. Then often the oil is hydrogenated or interesterified, allowing it to be more stable for frying or other high-heat conditions. Calling any of this “natural” is a farce.
    Not to mention the fact that 93 percent of all soybeans are genetically modified, a technology most people think doesn’t deserve to go anywhere near the word “natural.”

Q. On the topic of dairy, milk protein concentrates are a rather controversial ingredient many people are unaware of. What does the inclusion of milk protein concentrate in a food product say about it?

A. It says that the manufacturer is trying to cut corners and save money, which is understandable since all large publicly traded corporations are constantly under enormous pressure to cut costs. Milk protein concentrate can help replace the cheese that goes into boxed macaroni and cheese or the milk in processed cheese slices. If you see milk protein concentrate in your Greek yogurt it means the manufacturer has skipped the expensive step of straining the yogurt and has added milk protein concentrate, or MPC, to boost the protein levels (they’ve probably also added in some type of starch to thicken the yogurt).
    Milk, regardless of what you think of its nutritional merits, is a real food. MPC is not.

Q. What is your answer to those who think “better-for-you” processed foods (such as fiber-enhanced protein bars and Omega-3 fortified cookies) are “a baby step” towards better health for Americans?

A. One word: Snackwells. In the early ’90s, at the zenith of low-fat mania, Kraft introduced these “healthier” cookies. They had only 55 calories per cookie and much of the fat had been taken out (and replaced by emulsifiers, starches, and gums). Eager for a hall pass on guilt, cookie lovers went nuts, buying up multiple packages and probably eating more than they would have otherwise, erasing any calorie reduction advantage. It’s a case that illustrates how “healthier” processed foods often don’t promote health; they just end up confusing people.
    All these refurbished, less bad products only keep us tethered to a merry-go-round of inferior choices. The answer is making real food the foundation of our diets.
    Last edited by walkonby; Wed, Feb 27th, 2013 at 05:54 PM.

Page 52 of 226 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 152 ... LastLast

Thread Information