User Tag List

Page 47 of 58 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 ... LastLast
Like Tree2879Likes

Thread: Christmas 2017 thread

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Saw a flourless Black Forest roulade recipe too-could be a treat for New Year's Eve or Day.
    https://www.thestar.com/life/food_wi...t-roulade.html
    Thank you @Ciel ! I bookmarked this one.
    Ciel and jasperandchar like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I read your posts about husbands and gifts with interest and thought I would share my experience. Although in the early days, I am sure my then BF and I exchanged gifts we really don't bother anymore. We are both very practical and are far more likely to buy something if we see something the other would like but not just because it is Xmas/birthday- so perhaps we are a little boring. My husband is also not the type to buy me flowers or expensive jewelrey which is fine because that is not really my thing. If I want flowers I just pick some up. My last gift to him (last week) was 2 used Denver Hayes T shirts in perfect condition that I found for 50% off at Value Village-total $6 because I know he loves the feel and quality of the older 100% cotton shirts-and trust me it was more work sorting through that rack to find them in the mass of T shirts than buying them new- and they wouldn't feel the same and wash as well. He really appreciated my small gift.
    We are very close and he shows me in other ways that he cares-one time many years ago when he lived in the US and me in Canada and we had a long distance relationship (so he wasn't always here), we each had our own finances, not married etc. Anyway one day I was out driving and the clutch went out in my car which is not a cheap repair. So I was telling my then BF on the phone about this( and this was back in the days when I was younger and did tend to live paycheck to paycheck) and suddenly he says. Go to the lower lazy susan cupboard in the corner of the kitchen and look up and you will see a blank signed check taped to the bottom of the counter. I didn't tell you at the time, but last time I flew home I just decided to leave it there in case of an emergency so fill it in for whatever you need!!

I was floored and it meant the world to me-much more than anything else he could have bought me. What it told me was that he was thinking of me and providing for me and that is all that matters to me-maybe that is one of the reasons I married him! Anyway the bottom line is I know he has my back, and I have his too-this became even more evident to us as we endured the accidental death of our eldest daughter several years ago-it is those shared experiences-both good and horrendous that will make or break you as a couple in my experience. We didn't blame each other but just found our way through it together.

On a more recent( and lighter note) a few months ago we had to wait for a few hrs for a flight in Chicago. So my DH goes to stretch his legs and grab a coffee and he is gone a long time. When he comes back I asked what took so long? he replied-well I went by these nice ladies who wanted me to apply for a United Airlines credit card-no fee for the first year and 35,000 miles and since I had lots of time I applied and got one on the spot!! A couple of weeks ago I asked him if I could use those miles to book a trip to see my Mum for her 85th birthday and he said sure-I said don't get me a gift-the gift of travel is enough. Not that it cost him anything but I still so appreciate it.

None of this is meant in anyway to disrespect anyone who does want a lovely wrapped gift under the tree-you deserve it. Just offering my own perspective-I really think for many years I did expect him to constantly prove and reprove that he really cared( although I don't think the reverse was true) but somehow I have changed and we as a couple just need those small, shared experiences and time together more than we need gifts anymore. Not to say, after all that, we don't sometimes drive each other batty like all married couples or people who live together!
    Last edited by lizzie bargain; Thu, Dec 22nd, 2016 at 05:44 PM.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

lizzie --my hubby and I are the same -no gifts -stopped it years ago when the kids we toddlers and this may not be for everybody but it works for us -I bought him a housecoat in the fall I got 3 new tops and a few thrift tops too (from talize or value village)and yes we can drive each other batty after 37 years together for sure -but I truly believe friends may come and go but as we age our family which is my son his wife and ashlyn ,my daughter her hubby and Sebastian are soooooo important infact very important
    -I still do stockings for my adult kids and their spouses too and the grandchildren -mind you don't spend a lot like maybe 15.00 in the kids and 20.00 in the adult stockings
    -I rather enjoy giving too -not to disrespect anyone on here but works for one may not work for another
    -well everything is wrapped I am feeling way better cold lasted a good 7 days -geees was gonna bake this afternoon but chatted with daughter instead -she wished I was in torontoas she had to grocery shop today -Sebastian was having a melt down in the store so she sang itsy bitsy spider to him (ahhh wish I was there to help her ) may go stay at her condo on march break for 2 days would love to spend time with daughter and sebastian -poor little grandson had to go to sick kids and have his ultrasound on his hips yesterday -he screamed and shook she said -I just hope he doesn't need a brace -we always want the best for our kids and grandkids right ?
    - I think I may go listen to xmas music and do some of my puzzle -its a country garden home -its a tuff one too but I enjoy it and am relaxed
    -have a great evening everyone

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by scouponer View Post
    Well ladies I understand your pain with regards to husbands shopping. He only has to buy for me! A few stocking stuffers and a couple of gifts. Well he always waits until Christmas Eve day to go shopping then wraps everything at 1 am in the morning long after I have put away all the wrapping paper bows ribbons etc. did I mention that he is retired and has all kinds of time to shop? Once he forgot to buy me any stocking stuff. Usually I end up buying stuff and giving it to him to wrap. I have 3 kinds of wrap...nice wrap for gifts, kids wrap, and really cheap wrap for stockings. I alway get the really crappy wrap. Can't he tell the difference? Small world problems but frustrating when you spend all this time shopping and wrapping ahead of time. He is a lovely man but sometime it can be frustrating! Anyways all my baking is done, all presents wrapped, grapes soaking in wine for frozen wine soaked grapes. Christmas family stuff was delivered this morning. A whole pick up full...then they have the nerve to ask if there was presents for her boyfriend...first I heard of a boyfriend geez. Anyways not in my budget. the kids are the focus for me. .each kid got 11 gifts...clothes, toys, books etc and stockings, mom got 3 gifts including winter boots which was also not in my budget, and stocking plus complete Christmas dinner and five other large boxes of food and toiletries, cleaning supplies. So a bit disheartening after all the time effort and expense!
    Anyways enough bit--ing.sorry for the rant. Hope everyone has a lovely Christmas and a healthy, wealthy and happy new year!
    Very kind of you and your family and unbelievable that she would ask for anything considering your very generous gifts and efforts AND I agree the kids are the focus and the reason you did what you did I am sure.
    Ciel and scouponer like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

My folks don't exchange gifts that stopped with my dad's mom passed away he just stopped for whatever reason. For years my mom used to buy her own gifts and wrap them and say they were from him but we were still young.

My parents haven't even decorated in the last 14 years which I can't understand but it's their house and their choice. We just don't visit them at Christmas because it's depressing. They love coming to our house as it's decked to the nine.

I was never really a Christmas person until about 18 years ago and in the last 8 years I'm over the top BUT I love it.

I wrap all the gifts except mine. MY gifts from the kids and dh are now wrapped and under the tree.

DH is picking up 2 gifts on his way home from work AND then we are done just in the knick of time.

I plan to venture out on Boxing Day weather permitting (they are calling for freezing rain), I would love to get a jump start on Christmas 2017 and save a ton on discounted gifts. AND I love beautiful wrapping paper which we don't really need BUT I love a great selection and options , I also tend to purchase some wrapping paper which is not Christmasy for Birthdays.

Wishing everyone a great day and happy shopping, baking, cleaning etc.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Well Ladies I think we have all scrimped and saved and organized to have a wonderful Christmas for our families!
    I am done! Just finished changing all the beds and freshening up the house, there is snow falling today and I think we are going to get a fair amount, so glad no one here is travelling. I have a few last minute food prep things to do tomorrow but I am feeling quite content with all that is done.
    I am looking forward to seeing everyone's post Christmas deals to tuck away for Christmas 2017!!
    I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a safe and happy New Year!

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

We are almost ready for Christmas at my place. I've been so tired lately, that I haven't actually put up our tree yet, but my mom and I will do that tonight when she arrives. Its been a long time since we decorated a tree together, so I'm not all that unhappy that it isn't up yet. I did my grocery shopping on-line at Save on Foods this week and am having it delivered tonight. I'm definitely appreciative of that service when it is as busy on the streets as it has been this week.

We opened DH's parents gifts a little early. They always give Christmas decorations with an envelope of cash, so I like having the Christmas decorations out a few days early to enjoy them. This year, one of the items was a reindeer figurine holding a plunger with toilet paper on its antlers (DH is a plumber), when I first saw it I was like what the heck is this thing... but it sings and tells jokes when you walk into the washroom. Its the most ridiculous thing, but oh man did we have a good laugh trying it out.

I'm looking forward to having everyone over. We picked up some board games and plenty of rum & eggnog, and I have my stretchy pants at the ready.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year everyone!

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

I will totally be collapsing when I get home today. Today is the last day of school and my class is having a party and watching a movie and I'm just glad we survived the past two weeks (they're good kids, they just have vacation-brain). Then tonight it'll be making cookies and prepping food for tomorrow and Sunday, then sit back and relax and let the wrapping paper fly

I hope everyone has a good Christmas and a Happy New Year

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@jasperandchar -I concur with you about looking for wrapping paper for next year plus other occasions. I used to buy 2-3 rolls plus bows so I'd have something to wrap items with during the next year. Especially if pricier wrap is still around and now on sale at 50% off or more!
    I've noticed that Sears, the Bay and even Staples had flyers for Dec.22-24-the early Boxing Day sales then flyers for Dec.26 onwards. Last day shoppers may do well if they spend the hours at the mall.

Library branches are likely to close by 1pm today. If you need reading material, go early or download some e-books.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Merry Christmas everyone, hope you had a wonderful day with family and/or friends.

I've sent a request to @FallenPixels to change the name of the thread to 2017 so we can continue onwards.

I need to do a return as both DH & MIL purchased me the very same Nutcracker (I collect them), however, I don't know if SDM will have any left or given that most stores do not exchange Christmas ornaments after Dec. 24th I am hoping that they will allow the exchange or a refund if they do not have any others in stock.

Everyone is looking forward to some bargain shopping this week perhaps tomorrow if the weather permits.

DS2 did not like the personal blender or dh's selection of chocolate fondue fountain So we will return those 2 items to Canadian Tire and give him the cash and fingers crossed he will actually purchase himself something else. Ds2 is so hard to purchase for he reminds me of myself as a young child, I never asked for anything. I am truly blessed to have 2 great boys (13 & 16) as they are content with what they have.

Looking forward to grabbing a few discounted items such as ornaments on clearance for the boys stockings next year and perhaps a few rolls of Christmas wrapping paper and some wrapping paper that is not Christmasy for birthday gifts etc.

Wishing everyone a great evening and as @thriftygranny said looking forward to all the bargains for 2017 Christmas.

PS the Butterball stuffed turkey was devine

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Woohoo! I hope to hit RCSS 1st thing in morning before we gave to leave for a 3 hour drive to visit family .

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

We ventured out this afternoon hoping to find some great bargains/clearances and unfortunately I didn't find anything I was looking for.

DS2 purchased 2 glass ornaments for himself, they are lovely.

Let the shopping and sharing of what you purchase along the way to Christmas 2017
    Newfiescreech and coupon girl like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last year I bought some Tom Smith wrap from SDM at -90% and it did such a great job for me I was willing to buy some more colours today at -50%. I am going to give it a couple of days, see what's left for how much, and maybe buy more.

I had all sparkle/metallic this year (bought last year at SDM) and it looked fantastic under people's trees with the lights on them. The paper is thick, too, so it hid box imperfections and seams very well.

I bought a lot of lunch-bags-sized xmas bags from Target when they died and they were really useful this xmas too. I used them as "stocking" bags.

Tape is on sale everywhere and if I can't find the stuff I know I bought at Dollarama, I may lay out for the real thing (Scotch) at Dollarama $.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

yes I always buy wrapping paper ahead too-bought a roll the other day at freshco for the grandkids 1.44
    -last year bought the tom smith at shoppers but never used it this year

-already bought 2 small xmas gifts for next year dinosaur socks for my son-in-law 2.40 from the bay and reindeer ones for my son same price reg 8 and 9.00 socks which I would never pay

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Dh and I are venturing out tomorrow by ourselves to get some items at Home Depot for Home renos BUT I will venture into Canadian Tire alone this time (no kids) so that I can purchase a few ornaments for the boys stockings for next year.

I also need to return a gift so I will tuck the gift card away until The Tuscan Langostina pot I want goes back on sale.

Page 47 of 58 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 ... LastLast

Thread Information