User Tag List

Page 1683 of 1686 FirstFirst ... 683 1183 1583 1633 1673 1681 1682 1683 1684 1685 ... LastLast
Results 25,231 to 25,245 of 25288
Like Tree75382Likes

Thread: Chat-A-Thon Thread

LIVE EVERY MIN. 2 THE MAX 22hicks's Avatar
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

@Natalka - well, it may not be great new about your DS, but I think it's probably a blessing. Great to hear about it now, while he can still has time to do something about it. Life style changes are tough, but with you behind him, he'll do fine.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

@Lynn49, you must be so excited to have a pup around again, even though it's only for awhile. Have fun.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by cabmonk View Post
    Sorry I haven't been around the last few days. Christmas was kinda blah. Went to my cousins christmas eve for get together and was told they weren't doing christmas dinner until tuesday but monday was their usual boxing day ball hockey etc. Then monday it's cancelled because of freezing rain. Tuesday I get a text saying go home after work and shower and they will pick me up for christmas dinner and save a plate for me. At 7.40pm right as I'm about to text them that I was changed and ready to go they text me and say hey evenings over but we'll make sure to pack up food to bring you wednesday. Today no word on that food at all lol. and all my family that came up from sudbury go home thurs morning and I never had a chance to see them. and apparently my little cousins haven't opened the gifts from me yet because they were waiting until they gave me their gift to me. Oh well these things happen. Hope everyone's christmas was better lol.
    Merry Christmas cabmonk.. so sorry that your Christmas get together didn't workout.. I hope your New Years turns out a lot better then your Christmas.. Take good care yourself
    22hicks, Lynn49, cabmonk and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 22hicks View Post
    @Natalka - well, it may not be great new about your DS, but I think it's probably a blessing. Great to hear about it now, while he can still has time to do something about it. Life style changes are tough, but with you behind him, he'll do fine.

That's very true - he knew it, and I'm glad he had a good talk with the doc. He said he was very open to the dr. about his bad eating habits.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Hi everyone! Our family visit is going marvelously well, but exhausting! DH has had a chance to reminisce with his whole family, and has enjoyed every minute of having them here.

Keeping up with the curiosity of an 18 month old is exhilarating and entertaining but, I am glad to be able to share the responsibilities with 3-4 other caregivers! (A brother, a sister and a mommy- dad is partially out of commission due to recent surgery on his shoulder.)

We have a floor-to-ceiling wall mirror at the end of our hall which is providing endless entertainment to the little one . That "other" little girl in the mirror is getting lots of kisses and she can't figure out why she can't keep going down that long hall she sees ahead of her.

Well, DH has headed off to bed and I need to join him.

Nat- basically, the liver gets "fatty" when you are in taking more fat-especially animal fat than it can process. So the key - eat more plant based calories and cut down on all of the dairy - fatty meats- sauces- etc. -all the "good " stuff -eat plain old chicken and fish and LOTS of raw, non-gussied-up fruits and vegetables.

Also watch the intake of Tylenol as it is hard on the liver.

Drinking vinegar or lemon juice and water helps cleans the liver.

Good night folks!
    Last edited by avoncallingu; Thu, Dec 29th, 2016 at 10:54 PM.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

avon, sounds wonderful!

Thanks for the info - omg, my son is a cheese maniac - oh, well...

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

@Natalka - my guy was warned on prediabetes (bad eating) and the first thing to be banned from the house was Pepsi. Next, he is a meat-and-potatoes guy and we had to control the potatoes. He wouldn't go for nutrition counselling but I did - which makes more sense as I do the majority of the cooking and all the shopping. I went to a diabetes group and a dietitian. It was really helpful to learn e.g., maximum portion sizes for potatoes lol, and carb counting basics (just to understand what makes "too much" in one meal). They had rubber food and loads of charts to help with that. He is doing much better, in the clear a year later, and it was all on the Pepsi and potatoes. I also make multiple veg at every meal instead of the one I used to do. To cut down on meat portions I try to do more stews, stir fries, and other one-pots where I would use 1/2 the meat of a meat-veg-starch plate, and load them with veg too. I hope it is as simple for M. But, because fatty liver is food/weight related, I highly suggest a diabetes group or dietitian that does diabetes counselling, and if M won't go, make some space in your week and learn it for him and teach him. This is fixable!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

lecale, thanks so much! This really makes me wish he were back at home - he's only here once or twice a week; he has put on a lot of weight since he moved out on his own a few years ago - he can cook, but it's a 'bother'; if he makes something at home, it's oven-ready junk, otherwise it's take-out food. I've talked to him about this all before - not only for health reasons, but to save money! (I tried both ways!)

Just an example - he really does love veggies, but recently he has said the only place he eats them is when he's here - and I always give him some to take home (cooked and raw).

Now, he'll be more serious about this. Fingers crossed!
    Last edited by Natalka; Fri, Dec 30th, 2016 at 12:11 AM.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

I think M needs more Ukrainian "take-out" lol

No one has a 100% bad diet - but everyone has favourites they turn to all the time that will wreck you, like my D's mountains of potatoes. He loves to cook with me, and will cook complex, time-consuming things with guidance, but if alone he will cook 1) microwaved baked potatoes 2) pork chop and a pot of potatoes.

Maybe you need cooking date night at M's where you use his kitchen and ingredients to cook together - he learns your specialties, his kitchen gets stocked properly to cook under your guidance, and he has the leftovers, and it's a regular event so there is turnover on the fresh foods in his kitchen. Then send him to PC cooking school at your local Loblaws franchise to pick up a nice girl lol. Seriously, cooking classes (also at the community college and community centres) are a great gift for single guys.

Just brainstorming, but we all need to get off the processed food. Last year snacks and heat-and-eat was 28% of the grocery budget and this year it is 20%. I am not always well so I need to have some ready to eat in the house when I can't cook or he will starve (well, no, he will just get into the potatoes!) Every doctor I have ever dealt with has said the best thing for your health is to cook from scratch. M has to make time for cooking because that is how he is going to thrive, and I think if you tell him you want to teach him his heritage cooking he might get into it. Does he even own dill and Vegeta? As a single guy he should start cooking soups and stews from his roots. They are a better balance of meat-fat-starch-veg and you can eat them freely, and of course they freeze well.
    Last edited by lecale; Fri, Dec 30th, 2016 at 12:57 AM.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

LOL on the dill and Vegeta - those definitely cover both sides of his heritage!
    Thx again for the great ideas!

Have a FAB day, everyone!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Name:  th (5).jpg
Views: 156
Size:  13.0 KBHope everyone has a really good Friday!Name:  th (1).jpg
Views: 231
Size:  16.2 KB

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Good morning to all my S.C. friends. I hope you have a great day.

Name:  Unknown.jpeg
Views: 132
Size:  14.8 KB

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Lecale what great ideas for Milan! When you mentioned Pepsi, it made me think about aspartame in diet drinks, - we used to be addicted. If you read up about it, it is not good for you. My naturopath suggested that, if you need sweets, plant-based sweeteners such as stevia are better or locally based- unpasteurized honey.
    Our DS could benefit from the "cooking classes" idea re: finding a nice young lady. That made me smile!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Good morning, everyone!!
    @lecale ...brilliant suggestions for Milan and all of us, really!! I learned about that poison, aspartame, years ago when I associated it quite by accident to my restless-leg syndrome. If I want a diet drink, DH buys diet Neste tea..it's the only one that has sucralose instead of aspartame in it. Some of those little squirt bottles have also dropped aspartame, so I take those to camp...it may always be "wine o'clock" at camp but not for me.. I also had to laugh at your suggestion that Milan take cooking classes and perhaps find a nice girl there...too cute!!

Well, no puppy. I have no idea why, just a quick call from DD when she was rustling breakfast for everyone....sniff...okay, she just called again, the pup will be staying at the hotel here while they're at the wedding, reception......no puppy-breath....

So who's going out on the town tomorrow and who's staying in?
    Would you be going to Times Square if you were there??

Okay!! Well, you all have a wonderful day!!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

On Pepsi, no, this was regular, full-sugar Pepsi. I could get 4 x (6 x 710ml) for $1.99 each at SDM on the weekends...how much sugar in that? A hair more than a 2 kg bag of white sugar!

D was worried that he would have to change everything about his diet, but it turned out most of the damage came from just two things.

Artificial sweeteners don't cause weight loss, so there is something weird about them if they act on your body the same as all that sugar.

---

D fell on the ice 30 ft from our driveway on the 21st. He planted his hand on the ground and threw his weight behind it. He was hurt so badly, neighbours had to scrape him up off the ground and bring him home. He turned up wide eyed, shocked and babbling. Went to go to bed and blacked out from the pain and wedged himself between the bed and the wall, and I had to manually extract him. Then, in the middle of the night he tried to get out of the bed and when he tried to bend forward the pain was so great that he got dizzy again and ended up on the floor, and had to be scraped up again.

The next morning he had the sort of drippy bruises that you get from internal bleeding and I was sure he had a bad break. He tells me, oh no, I just fell on it and bruised it. The pain in his shoulder is so much that he can barely bend to lift the toilet seat up...his fingers are numb, lower arm swollen, and he can't lift his arm enough to get a piece of paper between his arm and body and inexplicably a couple hours later he is vacuuming. And he is NOT going to the doctor or the hospital. All he wants to do is try to move or flex his arm. I berated him not to move and catered to him so he wouldn't and nagged him to go see someone about this. I asked Google and Google said DO NOT MOVE so sit in your chair and don't even think about moving without asking for help first! I made him a sling from an old bedsheet and showed him Google pictures of people bound up in slings and restraints and nagged, DO NOT MOVE.

5 days later he is still wearing the same socks and underwear because he refuses help with that. Finally he uses my kitchen tongs to peel them off, and honestly, given the situation, I might have used the same approach at that point!

8 days later on the 29th he finally agrees to go to emerg, because his arm is yellow mottled with purple-black from elbow to shoulder and he still can't move the thing. Of course I have a phone consult with my doctor and a package delivery scheduled but I gladly drop everything to get him to the hospital. A not bad 3.5h visit...turns out he smashed the ball of his humerus and broke it lower down too. The doctor says that if anything had shifted, they would have had no choice but to do shoulder replacement surgery, but as it was, they gave him a very nice Toronto Maple Leafs blue deluxe sling. "For me?" he asks, delighted, lol. The doctors are totally confused that he would not come in and he gives them all his feeble excuses (the best one: "they won't be able to x-ray it until the swelling goes down".) Doctors call him a tough guy, and he likes that, chanting "I'm a tough guy!" to himself on the way home. My package goes AWOL.

So yesterday I ordered a Toronto Maple Leafs patch from Amazon and when it shows up I will sew it on his deluxe sling with the hope that he will wear it always for the weeks he is supposed to.

??? At a total loss what to do with him. However, looks like things will turn out ok.

smh.
    Newfiescreech, 22hicks and dededi like this.

Thread Information