User Tag List

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree1222Likes

Thread: September 2017 Frugal Chatter thread

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I'm heading to bed soon. I just turned all of my tomatoes into tomato sauce and chunky tomato sauce, about 2/3 of a gallon tonight. I'll have to preserve different foods tomorrow.

Dh needs new new footwear for work. He checked at Mark's in town, but they didn't have his size and offered to charge him an additional $17 to get them shipped from Newfoundland because no nearby provinces/stores had them. So we ordered online. This weekend has free shipping, caddle has a $10 rebate when ordered online, dh's work will reimburse up to $125 a year, and there was 75% off a pair of casual shoes for me when you buy dh's footwear, and I got a 10% off code from signing up for their newsletter. Just to clarify, I don't like shopping for clothes, shoes, purses, etc. I'm happpy to find these black shoes in my size, lady's 10.
    Black casual shoes for me $44.88 - 75% off - 10% off = $11.67 including taxes
    dh's footwear will basically be free after reimbursement. I still get $10 from the Caddle app, so my shoes will be less than $2.
    Last edited by Angela273; Sun, Sep 3rd, 2017 at 01:51 AM.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

DD is enrolled in a College course this time, big difference in the cost compared to her 4 yrs at Univ. ( whew! )
    She is footing the full cost for this though since all her RESP funds have been used up and the bank of Mom and Dad declined her application for a loan. ha ha

Trying to brace myself for the increase in outside noises soon. All the screaming kids that will be passing down the street in the a.m. and then after school. We can also hear them at outside recess. Sure loved living this close to the school while my 3 were attending, but now not so much.

babies teach us acceptance

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Morning! Drove DS to wor for 7am. My man went in for overtime shift but may leave early if not needed. Youngest is away with friends family. I have the house to myself .
    Helped my friend with twins for 4 hours yesterday and will go back this morning since she is alone again today. I do need to continue on laundry today and start my soup and chilli at some point.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

spent yesterday seeing my new granddaughter to be in 3d ultrasound -so sweet ,then went over to sons for a visit

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    DD is enrolled in a College course this time, big difference in the cost compared to her 4 yrs at Univ. ( whew! )
    She is footing the full cost for this though since all her RESP funds have been used up and the bank of Mom and Dad declined her application for a loan. ha ha

Trying to brace myself for the increase in outside noises soon. All the screaming kids that will be passing down the street in the a.m. and then after school. We can also hear them at outside recess. Sure loved living this close to the school while my 3 were attending, but now not so much.
    @walkonby we also live in the vicinity of the local public school, I love the parents racing down my street to get their darlings to school while nearly wiping out mine, we have no sidewalks. this is our 1st year with no kid at this school, but I know when we sell the proximity to school will be a feature. I can't believe we have two kids in HS.
    todays plan is to do some baking for lunches and freeze. I have a recipe I think from skinny taste so weight watchers friendly for a pumpkin loaf that both the older child and I like so I will bake that and then slice it & freeze the slices and he can grab and go. I have tried it as a muffin and for whatever reason we prefer it sliced. Then for the younger it will be some sort of banana muffin. both my kids are brutal about eating breakfast so we need to make it easy. The older son wants to try a batch of break fast burritos as he is finally getting the importance of eating before he needs his brain to function. Best part, he sent me the grocery list and he will do the prep himself.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Lilo that's awesome that he's putting in the initiative for the breakfast burritos. He sounds organized about it.
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The air outside does not feel so icy anymore-hurrah! There were two downpours of rain around 4-5am today as I woke up during the first of the two. Was surprised yesterday's rain amounted to a few drops here and there after two possible rainy skies passed by (literally within a few minutes of putting some of sibling's things inside after he drove away to the dump). The sky is turning watery again--the light is getting weak-darn.

Made a banana-celery smoothie for Mom today. Will see if she has some. I cooked the green bea and pea burgers-I was not able to separate the two patties so one ended up in pieces and the other was intact. Spicy with the black pepper-rather like falafels but with some green shoots or pieces in the patties. I enjoyed the taste.

Will postpone the Sobeys/Rexall walk until Tuesday as I won't last the duration of the walk. Feel ready to do a walk to local grocery store to pick up a few things very quickly. Cold is almost over...it's just pushing my buttons for another day.

Have about 15 coupons with Sept. expiries that need to be left on store shelves next week.

I am marvelling at @walkonby and @lilo0003 reporting on screaming kids coming and leaving from school. I understand outdoor recess can be noisy but have to ask what's going on when the loud kids are passing by (show discussion, bragging, race to breakfast club, arguing with the adult in the groups or older kids?) in the morning (not all kids are live wires in the morning). I have at least one teen that passes by our property during summer and schooltime-you know it's him because his smartphone is cranked up loud to hear music whether he's walking or biking in the am or pm. We have many schoolbuses coming and going in am rush but fewer in pm as they seem more far apart in when the come by (different schools). As there are no sidewalks for a section of our street, youth tend to walk on the edges of lawns so as not to be driven over by whoever is in the nearest lane. Have to be alert for cycling youth-some stick to the road but others will run one down on the bridge sidewalks-not all youth wear helmets either). I do want to figure out who the local takeout wrapper dropper is (bag left this morning) and who is the pm snacker litterer dropper. Get both of them leaving remains on the lawn.

Road construction continues on the main street so our street at one end is the main detour section leading to another survey's road but the odd transport truck and other heavy vehicles run the length of our street (there were two recent properties that had some digging work done). Will be interesting to see if landscaping crews show up before 8am when schoolbuses and other vehicles have to swerve around the parked ones-there is no extra space really. I have not seen much police presence on the construction site but a cruiser does run up and down our street a couple of times per day.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

just got groceries this morning I beat the school mothers out was in and out by 9.00 a.m spent 68.00 then went to zarkys for fresh buns and luncheon meat etc spent 28 there so 96.00 is not bad ,need to be pretty frugal this month as I have a 340.00 mastercard (a lot of clothing for Sebastian for his birthday and some for Ashlyn and nana and poppa too) and our visa is up past that from our trip to goderich -at least I have Sebastian all done for his birthday just need to finish up Ashlyn ,just cashed out 20.50 caddle this past week and 42 from checkout51 so it all helps
    -supper tonight chicken in oven with steamed carrots ,corn,mashed potatoes and buns .I made a blueberry pie for dessert as its the last I will see of my daughter and Sebastian as he starts daycare this Thursday and daughter starts work next week and the poor little guy has a cold so son lent me his vaporizer

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Did a few loads of laundry and all is put away. Made chilli.. We had that for dinner since I just felt like something simple . Kids don't like chill so made them sausage, oven fries and corn. Tomorrow night's dinner is roast beef, mashed potatoes with gravy and fresh green beans.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Evening Everyone,
    Yesterday was a bit of a blah day for us, spent most of it crocheting on the couch which is fine with me.

Today has just been general pick up, clean up, deal with type of day. No real plan just as you see it deal with it.

Last night we had homemade Burgers and Homemade Oven Fries for dinner. Tonight is Lazy Lasagna, Cesar Salad and Garlic Bread. Thinking tomorrow will be Roast Beef but we will have to see how tomorrow goes.

I have had a few pick ups lately and one delivery (I normally do not deliver but it was a co worker so I just brought it to work with me). Made about $20 last week. Thinking either tonight or tomorrow I will drop a few prices on some older items and am hoping to get back into the swing of posting things this week to move some more stuff out.

Our current to buy using money from things we sell are a faucet for the kitchen and a cart for fruits/veggies for the dinning room. We really do not have a lot of kitchen space in this house so the only place for the cart is beside the Kitchen Door in the Dinning room.

Going to do some research online on some items for around the house, get an idea of what it will cost so when the time comes I can have an idea of the costs. Have a wonderful night everyone
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

@coupongirl my son always works Sunday evening and during the school year it's so busy they have two staff on, tonight the have 4 and the second he hit the deli counter he had a customer.
    I cleaned the freezer today, put everything in coolers and defrosted it, I am seriously weird but an orderly freezer makes me so happy. I pulled dinner out for Monday and Tuesday and can see what we have and what we need. I have no beef and have a PC plus offer so am hoping for a deal. I am going to see if there are any markdowns when I pick the older son up from work.
    Inspired by @Ciel and doing my part for the environment I picked up a mc Donald's cup with a sticker intact today.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ylilo0003 View Post
    @coupongirl my son always works Sunday evening and during the school year it's so busy they have two staff on, tonight the have 4 and the second he hit the deli counter he had a customer.
    I cleaned the freezer today, put everything in coolers and defrosted it, I am seriously weird but an orderly freezer makes me so happy. I pulled dinner out for Monday and Tuesday and can see what we have and what we need. I have no beef and have a PC plus offer so am hoping for a deal. I am going to see if there are any markdowns when I pick the older son up from work.
    Inspired by @Ciel and doing my part for the environment I picked up a mc Donald's cup with a sticker intact today.
    An organized freezer is a must! I am loving my new to me upright freezer. Love how organized it is. I'm a little excited to put my lunch sized portions of chili in the freezer and have it nice and neat!!
    Newfiescreech, Angela273 and Ciel like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Today has been a somewhat frugal day. It's very windy here today and it's supposed to stay that way until Tuesday. I took our son out to catch minnows. We caught a frog, a water beetle, and a couple snails. The crayfish were too fast and I only saw 2 minnows. He had fun examining the critters in our big bucket, and then we let them go.

We went to a nearby Sunday buffet, which is inexpensive for our children because for kids they charge $0.75 x years old.

We took the kids to the rachers rodeo this afternoon, which is free. They put a large pile of sand by the arena and hide little toys in it for the kids to find. The kids had a blast. Our son found 3 very small toys and an American penny that's already in his piggy bank. The kids were filthy and went straight into the tub when we got home.
    Last edited by Angela273; Sun, Sep 3rd, 2017 at 08:56 PM.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@coupon girl - I noticed something of an afternoon buzz at Longos with some adults and kids getting their grocery shopping done. Noticed that demo stations had been in use-juice was still available at about 3pm in produce dept but I pushed on to find a bakery or produce deal (last cranberry/pumpkinseed loaf on marked down cart!) and get my Eggo waffles ($2.49 sale-few varieties but plenty stocked in Chocolate Chip, Blueberry or Original and thick & fluffy in Original or Brown Sugar/Cinnamon), frozen fruit, mineral water and shampoo. Exited the store and noticed the barbecue-came right back to it once I put the cart away and enjoyed a chat with employee and next customer. Had regretted a previous occasion that I missed eating a burger outside the store so I made a happy memory today (eating $3 Longos burger to support road hockey and one of my quarters happened to have a Stanley Cup theme).

Found a nickel in the Value Village parking lot (first coin find in almost a year since the store has been open). I was relatively fine walking around outside but in-store I had to move quickly in case I got weepy-cooler store was ok but warmer store (had to see what was on the knit racks at VV for two minutes to see if I could find last year's fall Uniqlo top) had me moving fast. Halloween outfits are on the first racks at the store entrance. Last year VV was open until 10pm most nights for October-are there that many costume events to keep the store busy?

Not sure if I provided the leftover vegetable quiche recipe link from Sobeys-another use for muffin tins and leftovers.
    http://www.sobeys.com/en/recipes/lef...e-quiche-cups/
    @Frugalbigmama -love the adventures you are about to have with the upright freezer! Would love a small one for home use.Ideally each shelf would be used for different sized frozen foods.

Senior's Day at the Bay is on Tuesday! If you shopped at Rexall recently, you know your Air Miles show up in your account the day after shopping. Might be a good idea to see if there are enough points to redeem for an HBC gift certificate to use on Tuesday. Yes, I'm trying to convince Mom to see if she'll go out.
    Newfiescreech and barbis9 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information