User Tag List

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree3208Likes

Thread: January 2018 Frugal Chatter (new calendars & spreadsheets)

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Exciting times for Smart Canucks already in January. Congratulations @saundyl on your engagement! Ha, ha @Arjon -I'm sure that the newly engaged will work out financial matters/paperwork before they venture into wedding planning.

I have to agree with those members finding it a little hard to figure out cooking ideas to prepare ahead. I likely will get into Christmas baking/side dish mode by Thursday (a couple of cakes and I'm thinking taco beef for me and some kind of casserole to have for the family meal on Monday plus side dishes; Mom's doing a roast of some kind though she's the only enthused one for it).
    Last night, I started tracing the dress pattern pieces for the wool dress that is requested for the weekend and scaled down the pattern down three sizes (I see things I have to figure out before I made pattern adjustments and do a test fabric mockup--really want to be sure about fit before I even lay out the good fabric and cut it out).. This will be a true MacGyver sewing effort-the V-neckline needs to raised somewhat and I've given up on moving the back zipper to a side seam-dress body has 6 panels plus an over bodice for the front. And I want to fully line the garment (only the over bodice and pockets get lined per pattern instructions). Today's Internet time has to see some major progress on the translation of the instructions into something passable in English.

Ms. Sunshine was beaming most of yesterday and when I headed out in the afternoon for a walk, there were gray snow clouds that released fine tiny snowflakes on and off. Yes, I made sure to get home before Ms. Sunshine sunk down into the horizon-her buddy Windchill was in full force yesterday and fingers were taking notice!
    Found 60 cents worth of beer cans; added to the 90 cents from last week, I had a small bank deposit today-happy. My bank does not have any more 2018 calendars so if you notice the same thing at your CIBC branch, check other locations in your area soon!
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I made $225 since the end of October from selling stuff on our local garage sale Facebook pages.
    I’m still waiting for CO51 cheque that I ordered over the holidays. I will be close to redeeming after I go shopping at Sobeys this evening for their 10% off Tuesday sale.

I have a bag of frozen Brussels sprouts that I need to use up, but most of our family doesn’t like them. Any ideas?

Today’s lunch is free leftover roast ham, KD, baby cut carrots.
    Tonight’s supper plan is pork steaks, mushroom sauce, mashed potatoes, salad, Mann’s sugar snap peas.
    Tomorrow’s supper plan is roast chicken, hash brown casserole, maybe some cooked veggies, fresh baby carrots, cranberry sauce.

edit: I just found out that my school aged Daycare girl really likes bruised sprouts. She requested boiled Brussels sprouts with cheese whiz melted on them. I guess that will be part of her lunch tomorrow.
    Last edited by Angela273; Tue, Jan 2nd, 2018 at 01:32 PM.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Ellen Roseman of the Toronto Star has an updated article on the upcoming Loblaw $25 gift card program in today's paper:
    https://www.thespec.com/opinion-stor...5-loblaw-card/

I signed up to get the reminder e-mail for the Jan.8 registration. Plan is to shop for the food bank bin at my store, as the local food drive is now in March and usually this time is when food supplies kind be running low after the holidays.

Online goal-to find some video of Namie Amuro's performance on Japan NHK's Red & White show from Dec.31. The singer will retire from music in September. I'd have loved to have seen the whole show but there is the Internet...

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Last week, I treated myself to two frozen pizzas on sale at Food Basics. I baked the Hawaiian Delissio Rising Crust pie for supper that night and aside from the yummy pineapple & ham, my mouth was not loving the crust. It reminds me of when I make pizza dough and the water for the yeast is cold or the water in the dough just won't blend well with the flour, giving a somewhat gritty texture dough. Thus it was for me.
    Saturday night-I baked the Casa di Mama pulled pork pizza. Tastes like BBQ sauce from a bottle (sugary/spicy) but mm, mm, the wheat crust seemed light and like it was made from rice. I'm tempted to get another Casa di Mama pizza but from Shoppers as the pizzas are $3.99 this week (I missed the Sat. sale of 3 zas for $10).

While looking through the 40 emails from stores over the weekend, I saw Shoppers' 4000 bonus Optimum points offer wus $15 or more on certain of their store brands (then I logged into my account to load it and my other offers). Think that is the offer that replaces any bonus points offers for birthdays this month-will update if I do see anything near month's end. I'm not sure I'll have points to do a $10 redemption this month at SHoppers and I'm unlikely to earn 6000+ pts to do a $20 redemption at Fortinos before Jan.31.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@Angela 273 -hmm, the sprouts would be lovely as a roasted side dish with some ham or other meat.

I found a recipe with bacon and thyme and maple syrup:
    http://www.finecooking.com/recipe/br...th-bacon-thyme

I don't know how the frozen veggies (thawed) will do as a fried dish but there's a sweet and sour fried sprouts recipe:
    http://www.finecooking.com/recipe/sw...ussels-sprouts

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    The image makes me think of potted herbs, garden seed catalogues and planting. Perhaps a little herb pot ought to join the household to add some greenery to the kitchen-idea! My outdoor rosemary is under a foot of shoveled snow while the lavender plant remains bushy and by the house. Keep strong, my dear herbs.

10 more weeks until we revert to Daylight Savings Time. Meanwhile, let's enjoy the longer sunshine each day since December 21!

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Well now that DH has just left for work I can get things done. Christmas decorations to put away, laundry to fold and put away, cheese and celery to be cut, dishwasher to unload and make clam chowder for lunch tomorrow. I plan on saving the celery end to add to my bag of turkey bones for when I make turkey soup.

Also need to check my cupboards for items in low supply so I can watch for sales and hopefully get coupons too. I need to start getting some trades going as I have very few coupons. I will have to trade with stamps or GC's at this point.

Well, I am off to be productive.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I chose the spring-ish pic because it feels so much warmer today at -11, with lovely sun!

Angela, I love Brussels, as does my son, and I make the frozen ones ensuring they do not get too soft, and then just use margarine, with lots of salt and pepper. I think for other recipes like roasting, etc. you have to use raw ones. Cheese sauce is a good way to go, too.

Ok, so now I need to put these on my shopping list... My face is the green giant ones in butter sauce that you like. The Coop ones are good if you feel the bag to make sure there are small ones inside!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

@Natalka Do you sauté the frozen Brussels sprouts in margarine, or do you steam and then toss in margarine?
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

hello ladies went to the doctor this morning,i am on pills for chest infection -I said 2018 I wanted to be healthier -doctor said most likely got it from grandkids
    so out in the bitter cold I asked hubby to drive me as I was coughing a lot ,then just woke up from an hour sleep as I am not sleeping in the night good with this cough
    -supper pasta with the dinner rolls I froze from xmas a few left -lol
    -may go do some of my hard puzzle ,snowy scene with houses

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    @Natalka Do you sauté the frozen Brussels sprouts in margarine, or do you steam and then toss in margarine?
    Just steam.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    hello ladies went to the doctor this morning,i am on pills for chest infection -I said 2018 I wanted to be healthier -doctor said most likely got it from grandkids
    so out in the bitter cold I asked hubby to drive me as I was coughing a lot ,then just woke up from an hour sleep as I am not sleeping in the night good with this cough
    It's good you went to get it checked! Speedy healing and big hugs!

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Hope you feel better soon Coupon Girl
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    Hope you feel better soon.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information