User Tag List

Page 64 of 67 FirstFirst ... 14 54 62 63 64 65 66 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Does anyone have a recipe for zucchini relish that they love?
    dededi likes this.
    Unique items and great deals to be found on the Halifax Cat Rescue Society auction page.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

50 lbs of tomatoes. Started Saturday and made 1 batch of veggie soup and prepped for 2nd batch to do today. One more batch of soup on Monday. Will do the rest of the tomatoes as stewed tomatoes
    Natalka, Lavender Lady and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    199 (100%)

Your pantry must look amazing at the end of summer--yum!

Quote Originally Posted by scouponer View Post
    50 lbs of tomatoes. Started Saturday and made 1 batch of veggie soup and prepped for 2nd batch to do today. One more batch of soup on Monday. Will do the rest of the tomatoes as stewed tomatoes

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

A few jars of Confetti Relish I made on the weekend. (The recipe makes 5 pints)

Name:  confetti relish (2).jpg
Views: 811
Size:  370.9 KB
    Last edited by TrueNorthTreasures; Tue, Aug 21st, 2018 at 03:43 PM.
    Unique items and great deals to be found on the Halifax Cat Rescue Society auction page.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Yesterday, I made a recipe called Sweet Summer Squash ChowChow. I used Early Prolific Straightneck squash, which is yellow, and the recipe calls for tumeric. The result is very cheerful looking!

The recipe at the link says that it makes 9 pints, but it actually makes more like 9 half-pints.

The picture is not the greatest, but this is what the final product looks like:

Name:  Sweet Summer Squash Relish Aug 2018.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  396.8 KB

Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

A few jars of my first attempt at Carrot Cake Jam (the yield was seven 250-mL jars for me). I don't eat much jam, but THIS, I will be eating - yum!

Name:  carrot cake jam (2).jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  271.9 KB
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Did some unplanned canning today. Freezer door was accidentally left ajar the day we got home from vacation so early next morning we noticed the problem so ended up throwing out 3 green garbage bags of food😢. But salvaged a large pork loin which I was going to can but not for a while and a couple of bags of tomatoes that I prepped earlier and froze for later. Anyways just finished up the pork loin...cooling in canner and have veggie soup on stove heating up to go in canner shortly. Friday I will do 20 lbs of beets. Then next week will do potatoes and then some applesauce then done for season. It as organized as usual due to dealing with my dog who has lymphoma

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Arhg What an awful feeling it is to realize the freezer has been left open. Thank goodness you were able to salvage the pork. Did you get your beets done? This is my first year canning tomato sauce - I'm trying to can more because of our experience with a freezer door that was ajar last year! Plus, it frees up more room in the freezer for other things.

Sending love and good wishes to your dog. So hard to see a furry friend sick.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Tomatoes done 160 liters

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    Tomatoes done 160 liters
    wow, impressive!!

I wasn't able to grow enough tomatoes for a large batch of tomato sauce.
    I'm curious - how many lbs of tomatoes were required to make that much sauce?!? haha
    TrueNorthTreasures and dededi like this.
    Getting back into trading - see my Trade and Wish Lists (under 'About Me' tab)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Wow!! That is fantastic, Patty! I canned tomato sauce for the first time this fall and we got about 42 litres. Yours looks great, I might pick your brain with some questions, if you don't mind.
    Last edited by TrueNorthTreasures; Thu, Oct 11th, 2018 at 05:40 PM.
    Patty Smyth and dededi like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nessa23 View Post
    wow, impressive!!

I wasn't able to grow enough tomatoes for a large batch of tomato sauce.
    I'm curious - how many lbs of tomatoes were required to make that much sauce?!? haha
    11 bushels bought at a farm
    nessa23 and dededi like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorthTreasures View Post
    Wow!! That is fantastic, Patty! I canned tomato sauce for the first time this fall and we got about 42 litres. Yours looks great, I might pick your brain with some questions, if you don't mind.
    Fire away!
    dededi likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    Fire away!
    The main thing I noticed that happened when I canned my tomato sauce, especially when it was in 1L jars as opposed to 500mL jars, was that when I removed them from the canner and set them on the counter to cool, many of them 'leaked' tomato sauce. I am very careful about leaving the right amount of headspace, so that wasn't the problem. All but one jar sealed well. Is the leaking of some of the jars normal when cooling? (I assume it's not happening during the canning process as well, but maybe it is?)
    dededi likes this.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorthTreasures View Post
    The main thing I noticed that happened when I canned my tomato sauce, especially when it was in 1L jars as opposed to 500mL jars, was that when I removed them from the canner and set them on the counter to cool, many of them 'leaked' tomato sauce. I am very careful about leaving the right amount of headspace, so that wasn't the problem. All but one jar sealed well. Is the leaking of some of the jars normal when cooling? (I assume it's not happening during the canning process as well, but maybe it is?)
    Oh, leaking was an issue with something that I canned this year as well. The jars did end up taking a very tight seal, but I was not impressed to see that.

So I did a ton of research and tried my hand one more time at the same recipe, howbeit changing some of the things I did the first time. The second time around was great success with no leaking. I can't remember what I did different, but I do remember it was more than one thing that I had to tweak.
    TrueNorthTreasures and dededi like this.

Page 64 of 67 FirstFirst ... 14 54 62 63 64 65 66 ... LastLast

Thread Information