User Tag List

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree1333Likes

Thread: January 2020 Frugal Chatter

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Good morning!
    My 16 days off sure went fast. Today is the last day then back to the grind. We have vacation booked Feb 19th for week and a half. We are booking a last minute trip South and if we don't find a deal we are jumping in car and driving some where warm! We are open to an adventure.
    Today I need to finish laundry and get a few things so DS can pack a school lunch. No money being given this month! We are in frugal mode.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    DH just took DD to the airport for an early flight home-that is when Aeroplan had a free ticket for her-lol. I am sure she will sleep on the flight and when she gets home. We had a lovely visit-not often the 3 of us are up for morning coffee at 4 a.m.!! I will see her in a few weeks when we head to Hawaii. We also topped up our TFSA's this week. Rather than put $ in my RRSP I might start taking some out over the next 3 years before I receive OAS in order to be taxed lower. I am also starting to realize it is best for us to cash them in as much as possible while we are both alive to lower our tax rates-we are still in our 60's and in good health but....
    Keep in mind that having reached your 60s, your life expectancy is quite a bit longer than the mid-to late 70s. That's the average for all Canadians, including those who die young and very young, which brings down the average compared to just those who have reached 60+.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Yes that is true=although I don't plan to spend them now-just cash them in when least taxing.
    barbis9, Ciel, lilo0003 and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Grabbed a few groceries after dropping DS at work. He is going to have awesome big school lunches this week! As of Jan 1st I used PC pts to pay for groceries and paid the diff with change. I even bought a deal for someone with my points. No shopping till next Monday now.
    Angela273, Ciel, lilo0003 and 1 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

DD had her flight cancelled this morning. Now she won't fly out until tonight so hopefully she will get in on that new compensation offered by the airlines!
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Menu is planned for the week, need a few things to fill out groceries and will use points and or gift cards to pay. I may brave Costco as I have a return and I want my money back. The return lines have been insane. DS1 has paid his second semester of tuition and parking so I am putting that on the credit card ASAP. His RESP pays out in chunks and because he is living at home it’s more than he needs so we parked it ins high interest account and then move it as we need it. This semester he will use RESP to buy gas because he decided to quit is pt job to focus on school and I think it was a good thing because they were not respecting his school schedule and it would often force him to race home from school to get to work and since he drives the QEW to school this was insane.
    Christmas is also getting packed up today. I love it but I also love putting the house back together.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Kitchen cleaned. Cleaned out one cupboard and tossed a few things and see a few things I will make sure to use over the next month.. cleaned bathrooms. Have laundry on the go. Washed DS's bedding. I would like to do my bedding but will wait for another night this week. I want to finish and put away all the laundry so don't want to add to it.
    Last edited by Frugalbigmama; Sun, Jan 5th, 2020 at 01:08 PM.
    Ciel and SassyAshley like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Lilo-just curious if your son's uni has a fee for using a credit card to pay. DD's does so we avoid using it to pay her fees.
    barbis9, Ciel and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Lilo-just curious if your son's uni has a fee for using a credit card to pay. DD's does so we avoid using it to pay her fees.
    Surprisingly they do not. I would have paid cash otherwise but of course wanted the points
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

lilo -my daughter quit her part time job when she was in university many years ago -same reason as your son and to us education was more important than a part time job (they didn't really care to work around her schedule)

Daughter/her hubby and Sebastian just left -tiring weekend as I came down with a cold last night

Supper will be breakfast for supper eggs ,peameal bacon etc
    barbis9, Ciel, lilo0003 and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

The weather was good, so we spent some time outside. I packed up the rest of the Christmas stuff and Dh out it out in the shed for me. I need to bring in some clothes for our twins to switch some items out again. I noticed that some shirts are getting small on them.

Frugal things
    I picked up a large container of sidewalk chalk and two sand buckets for free. Bonus, they live in our area of the city so it was a convenient pick up.
    I completed a large coupons trade this morning and a smaller coupon trade this evening. All of the coupons that I’m receiving are for various foods that we typically eat.

I prefer to bake, but it’s good to have back ups in the pantry for ds’ lunches or to pack on a little trip. I over the last week I was able to use Caddle rebates and picked up 8 boxes of Quaker granola bars for free. I picked up the apple crisp kind and a couple boxes of the chocolate chip ones.

I’m still earning on Swagbucks every day and completing the short daily Caddle surveys.

My daycare is open 11hrs most days, Monday-Friday. I’m doing overtime for some parents. I am also substitute teaching every chance that I get.
    Last edited by Angela273; Sun, Jan 5th, 2020 at 11:56 PM.
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 2 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Good Morning! We woke up to snow.

I packed DS and I a nice lunch. We are off to a good start! My 1st day back at work isn't too bad. I have already gone thru my emails. Now to work on the pile of stuff to do. I try not to stress the 1st day back and just get organized.
    Angela273, Ciel and lilo0003 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

DD is supposed to get compensated $1,000 for being more than 9 hrs delayed yesterday-let's hope she does. Finally found the form online and submitted it so fingers crossed as this process is all new.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@Barbi s Here's the thread on LIFT NRTC: https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/430125...credit-canada/

I have shared the thread with someone who wanted to know all the possible credits/NRTCs she could use on the 2019 return.

Personally I am glad the carbon tax credit for ON has increased. For a little while, that sum will help with 2020 utitilies used at home.

Since I intend to buy new eyeglasses this year, it would be ideal to have some earned income for 2020 against which I can claim the cost of said eyewear as a medical NRTC. Time will tell (as will health).
    barbis9 and lilo0003 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I admit to missing the Internet by being offline for three days. Am looking forward to the library being open on Fri. Jan.24 for Internet.

So, the main bathroom got its new yellow paint job over Thursday-Friday. Wet paint was not quite what was on the paint card but overnight, the dried paint was spot-on in colour! I managed to restore most fixtures except one towel bar as a wall bracket was not gripping the bar end even when the underside screw was fully tightened. Learned I needed two different size Robertson (square tip) screwdrivers so I made a point to photograph the screwdrivers in front of the impacted towel bars for future reference. On the weekend, I saw that the downstairs towel bar needed a Philips screwdriver (cross-tip) so that darn rod is finally unlikely to drop randomly in the next year. Ditto bathroom tissue holder (all the screws on the brackets were loose!). Pity that my local Shoppers' photo kiosk is in its second week of being out of service. I need one to copy images off of the camera memory card and make prints. Did a late grocery trip to Longos as we were out of dish detergent and some staples and I knew snow was on the way for the weekend.

Saturday, I was helping my friend with another organization session. Fun! Looking forward to our third time. I bought cider donuts and garlic on our store runs-the garlic mostly went into the soup (next line).

Made the Portuguese garlic soup yesterday(did not make the egg mayo part) and it sort of looks like fish stock (I did love how the garlic cloves mashed so readily; I want a smaller mesh strainer as well). Have to work on seasonings-put some soup away in freezer and have one container in the fridge. Last night, I had the mind to make another batch of warm lentil salad (while the others were watching tv)to have food for today, as Mom will be cooking today for Christmas foods to take her through the next three days. I'll cook something I like or my backup plan is to visit McDonalds and try those spicy chipotle fries and a McTaster sandwich.

Today, someone gave me a copy of the Hamilton business phone directory. I still have to find a Dundas residential directory for home use. The plan in the afternoon is to scurry and obtain the Dec. 29 bus schedules, pop into a store for puzzle quest and maybe visit Sobeys (if my AirMiles tally is 95 thanks to paint buy at Lowes during 2x points promo period).

The $1 off any Quaker oatmeal or Aunt Jemima product coupon expires on Jan.11!
    barbis9, coupon girl and lilo0003 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information