User Tag List

Page 1035 of 2552 FirstFirst ... 35 535 935 985 1025 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1045 1085 1135 1535 2035 ... LastLast
Results 15,511 to 15,525 of 38276
Like Tree169192Likes

Thread: What's For Dinner?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The famous Smugglers inN in Calgary! I LOVE expense accounts and funnny people!! Yahoo!
    Natalka, harbie, Angela273 and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

DH and I met up downtown for lunch, since we didn't find anything great in the fridge to bring for lunch today. We went to Pete's To Go Go (only makes sense if you're in Halifax I think). We paid over $20, but each got a very tasty sandwich and pasta salad, and traded half of each and shared a drink. We were still kind of full when we got home and did not eat supper.

When ground beef is on sale, I make individual meatloaves using a very small cake pan as a mold, cook and freeze them that way so they're ready for a night we didn't plan well (I do meatballs the same recipe, cook and freeze).

Although we'd already eaten enough, DS still needed food, and I'd taken a pack of three of those cooked meat loaves out and had leftover mashed potatoes in the fridge, so he had that. DS LOVES my meatloaf, one of the few things he has learned to love that I cook as a supper. He also loves my burgers on the grill which we do in a similar way - cook and freeze for a rainy (unplanned for!) day! They also rock for lunches when we don't plan well.
    Natalka, harbie, alicia and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

^^^ their salads are awesome! They stog so much into those boxes. They put one in the SUB at Dal and it hurt my pocket.
    Last edited by alicia; Fri, Aug 16th, 2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: typo
    Zonny and SassyAshley like this.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Sounds like my Dad's house growing up, my half bro only wanted rice and hated potatoes, my bro only wanted potatoes and hated rice and neither "liked" pasta. Me and my Half sis would eat all three.

Veggies was a whole other fight and to this day my step mom cannot keep track of which ones of eat which veggies and it was not odd to have 3 different veggies on the table so everyone would eat some form of a veggie, even salad became an issue.

Than when the extended family comes together watch out you have never seen so much food to cover everyone's wants and needs it is normal to have 2 mains and 5 to 10 sides.

Quote Originally Posted by tasha313 View Post
    Me : steak marinated in Shish taouk sauce , mashed potatoes with mustard

DF : steak marinated in BBQ sauce and steak spice , mushroom rice

With tomatoes , cucumbers fresh from the garden and oregano/olive oil bread .

DD well she picked in everything lol.

And yes sometimes I have to cool two sides cause I don't like rice so much and LOVE potatoes and DF HATES potatoes and LOVES rice *sigh*
    vesper likes this.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Rose, so sorry I missed your post, I could have helped out with the cabbage rolls.

Tonight will be Free-for-all Fridge Friday! Whatever leftovers are in the fridge, or whatever you want to put together for yourself, lol!

Too hot to cook!

How do you make them??

I put them in the oven uncovered and just watched them and they turned out okay. I have to make another batch tomorrow since I still have a ton of rice and cabbage leaves left but ran out of space in my baking dish, so going to do it all over again tomorrow!
    Natalka and Angela273 like this.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Tonight our sinner menu is : Veg Pizza, 2 Cold drinks, Popcorns and chocolate cookies.
    harbie, Angela273 and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patriciatanner View Post
    Tonight our sinner menu is : Veg Pizza, 2 Cold drinks, Popcorns and chocolate cookies.
    You Sinner!
    Angela273 and SassyAshley like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by alicia View Post
    ^^^ their salads are awesome! They stog so much into those boxes. They put one in the SUB at Dal and it hurt my pocket.
    At the main store on Dresden Row they do stirfry sometimes, really good! It ain't cheap to eat at Pete's, but it sure is yummy.
    Angela273, alicia and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by roseofblack25 View Post
    How do you make them??
    I put them in the oven uncovered and just watched them and they turned out okay. I have to make another batch tomorrow since I still have a ton of rice and cabbage leaves left but ran out of space in my baking dish, so going to do it all over again tomorrow!
    Holubtsi - Cabbage Rolls
    -------------------------

To prepare cabbage leaves:

1 medium head cabbage, remove core from bottom, put in giant pot and boil. Start removing leaves as they become a bit transluscent. I put them on a cookie sheet to cool. Continue until it gets down closer to the middle and the pieces are small (I save them, freeze, and use later in soup or casserole).
    Pack loosely in a bag, and freeze at least two days. Remove the night before you are going to make the rolls. When thawed, gently squeeze out excess water.

Filling
    ------
    (We mostly eat cabbage rolls on meatless/fasting days, so it's rare I make them with any meat. However, you can add sauteed bacon or ground meat.)

1 1/2 cups raw short grain rice (it's best because it's stickier, but long grain works okay, too) to three cups water. Cook til not quite done, because you are still going to be baking it.

I make my rice in the nuker (1000w microwave - on high - power 10 - for six minutes, then on power 6 for 12 minutes.)
    Alternatively, bake in regular oven or cook on stovetop.

Sautee two medium onions in 1/4 cup margarine or butter.
    Add about 2/3 of this to the cooked rice, and let cool a bit.
    Add lots of salt and pepper - and I like to add some dill.

To roll - I've always made small ones, so that means cutting up the big cabbage leaves strategically, but some people like the big honkin' rolls.
    Good pics here on how to roll - scroll about halfway down
    http://www.the-real-meal.com/2011/10...cipe-rice.html

I use a small roaster - just fits about two layers of rolls (when using cabbage and rice amounts above).
    Line roaster with foil so it goes all the way up the sides.
    I put in my rolls diagonally, with each layer going the opposite way (easier to remove them when cooked).

Overtop of the rolls, I've tried many different things.
    Usually I would use a can of tomato soup mixed with a can of water. Make sure there is enough sauce to come to almost the top of the rolls.
    Often I use tomato juice at first, then if I have to add liquid, then I add the tomato soup and water.
    Then put overtop the sauteed onions and margarine that is left, or dot with margarine pieces.

If you don't want them tomato-y - just add water with some margarine on top.

Put foil overtop of the roaster, then put lid on and bake covered at 350 degrees F for about two to three hours - (start testing whether the cabbage is soft enough); add more sauce/liquid if needed.

Serve with additional sauteed onions, tomato soup, or mushroom sauce.

Another recipe online here
    http://www.learnpysanky.com/recipes/holubtsi.html
    Last edited by Natalka; Sat, Aug 17th, 2013 at 05:45 AM.
    harbie likes this.

Trading Score
    120 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Sounds like my Dad's house growing up, my half bro only wanted rice and hated potatoes, my bro only wanted potatoes and hated rice and neither "liked" pasta. Me and my Half sis would eat all three.

Veggies was a whole other fight and to this day my step mom cannot keep track of which ones of eat which veggies and it was not odd to have 3 different veggies on the table so everyone would eat some form of a veggie, even salad became an issue.

Than when the extended family comes together watch out you have never seen so much food to cover everyone's wants and needs it is normal to have 2 mains and 5 to 10 sides.
    Oh my god sounds like our place! Except we are 3 people only thankfully .. Soon to be 4 .

We moved in June and tolerated the rice but no more ! And DD him and I don't like the same veggies either but DF will sometimes just "suck it up" lol. Every veggie has to be raw for DD. *sigh*
    SassyAshley likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

South West chicken thighs in the slowcooker. A can of black beans, a can of corn, a cup of salsa, chili powder, and skinned (I hate that job!) chicken thighs from No Frills. Will make some rice later, and possibly broccoli or frozen peas.

Cost breakdown
    can of beans - $0.97
    can of corn - $0.67
    cup of salsa - around $1.50
    chicken thighs - $5.45
    chili powder - pennies
    rice - $0.50
    frozen peas - $0.50

a decent meal that I can now just forget about for under $10. Not too too bad.
    Natalka, harbie and Angela273 like this.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Trading Score
    120 (100%)

Well this is lunch : grilled cheese on ancient grain bread, some blueberries and milk (for DD... i hate the stuff)

Name:  Image 9.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  39.8 KB

For dinner well , we are going to an engagement party BBQ in honour of a bridezilla I don't particularly appreciate.. yay *sigh*. So hotdogs and burgers for us .. What i'm most looking forward to though.. CUPCAKES !!
    Natalka, harbie, Angela273 and 2 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

par boiling 2 slabs of ribs, will slow roast in oven with bbq sauce, then have to sear the stew beef and make a batch of stew. Two to three lunches and dinners maybe?? we'll see. The salad is missing, uh oh.
    Natalka, harbie, Angela273 and 1 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Husband and son are away for supper, so I just had baked fries with gravy and zucchini sticks.

I'm thinking popcorn for dessert later.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Was at the company golf tournament for dinner, we had steak, baked potato, bread, Cesar salad, and cold slaw. All and all a pretty good meal got a steak I liked this year so that was a bonus and meant I could eat the steak.
    Natalka, harbie, Angela273 and 1 others like this.

Thread Information