User Tag List

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    OH yeah, we had a private room. But be warned, just because you've asked for one doesn't mean you'll get one!

Z
    Oh, I realize that. I'd be kicking up quite a huge stink to go home in that case. I did anyway last time, when I *did* have a private room. I need my privacy or I cannot relax. You know those cutesy signs that you are encouraged to use on your door that saying "mom and baby are busy/resting, etc, do not disturb"? All hospital staff ignore those, apparently it doesn't apply to them only to your visitors. There was no way for me to relax, having the constant knocking, there was always something.

Trading Score
    149 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    oh, and if this does happen, try not to freak out on the operating table or they will knock you out and you will not witness the birth of your child. that is all!
    I second that! I was hysterical going into the OR, not because I was scared of C-section but because my kids were too young to be born. I finally forced myself to calm down when the anesthetist suggested sedation. I didn't want that - I didn't want to miss the chance to say good bye to my kids should anything happened to them. And the odds were stacked against us.

I know, weird logic but it worked. I calmed right down after that (still crying though )

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by AmberLab View Post
    Oh, I realize that. I'd be kicking up quite a huge stink to go home in that case. I did anyway last time, when I *did* have a private room. I need my privacy or I cannot relax. You know those cutesy signs that you are encouraged to use on your door that saying "mom and baby are busy/resting, etc, do not disturb"? All hospital staff ignore those, apparently it doesn't apply to them only to your visitors. There was no way for me to relax, having the constant knocking, there was always something.
    Oh don't even get me started on the lack of privacy. Some of the nurses were fabulous, others were...well, just not. One very pushy English nurse just lacked any kind of bedside manner. At one point she barged into the bathroom while I was sitting on the toilet in the night. "Oh, I just wondered where you were," she said and barged back out. Let's see, the bathroom door is closed, my baby is outside the door sleeping, where do you THINK I am? But there was a Scottish nurse who was also a lactation consultant and she was just wonderful. I think her name was Joan.

Z

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Oh, I couldn't imagine not having a private room - husband could come and go without bothering anyone - he'd bring our son from the nursery for me, etc. Plus we were in the hospital from a Sunday to Saturday (son was born Monday).
    Several years ago, I went to visit my SIL here who had a son and she was in a room of eight, just curtains between and barely room for a chair beside the bed... I felt so bad for them, just not having the privacy and comfort.
    I do know, though, that it obviously depends upon how busy the ward is. When I went in to the hospital, there were very few on the maternity ward - but by the end of the week, it was bustling!

Trading Score
    149 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jina View Post
    February was a crazy month at the hospital. All private rooms were full and the nurse told me they had like 5-7 c-sections a day.
    Must be all the BBQ and beer drinking in the summer prior!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Oh, I couldn't imagine not having a private room - husband could come and go without bothering anyone - he'd bring our son from the nursery for me, etc. Plus we were in the hospital from a Sunday to Saturday (son was born Monday).
    Nursery? Must be nice. Here we don't have such a thing, baby bunks in your room with you. I think they'll take baby if you're really in a bad way and beg, but otherwise you're on your own. DH stayed with us in the hospital though, we had a cot for him.

One of the greatest things we got as gifts in the hospital was FOOD. I got fed adequately, but DH wasn't into the cafeteria food and there wasn't anything nearby to go grab a snack easily. Someone sent us a basket with crackers, cookies, nice cheeses, etc. We dug right in!

Z

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Oh, Zonny I would have LOVED to have baby rooming in (as they call it here), but it wasn't allowed since I had a c-section. Those with regular deliveries had their babies in the rooms with them.
    And how much my husband was allowed in the nursery depended upon the staff!
    I went into the hospital Sunday night to get the gel to be induced, that didn't work, so I went on the drip Monday morning - after 10 hours labour, had emergency c-section and son was born just before 6 p.m. I had to go under general anaesthetic since there was no time for an epidural, so I remember just waking up a bit and asking the nurse if the baby was ok, she said yes. Next I remember waking up back in the room, turns out it was some time after 7. My husband wasn't allowed in the operating room, but he had our son the whole time in the nursery, except for the doc's exam.
    When I woke up in my room, there George was at the foot of the bed, and I guess I just started saying 'Baby' and holding out my arms for him - I was still groggy/loopy... so he brought him to me and held him with me.
    For the next few days, George was totally allowed in and out of the nursery - they absolutely loved how skilled and caring he was with our son. However, there was staff change towards the end of the week, and suddenly there were no dads allowed in the nursery! He was not impressed!
    But even as I was feeling better toward the end of the week, they wouldn't let me have Milan stay in the room with me -- we had to stay longer in the hospital because he was losing weight instead of gaining, and they were concerned.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Oh, Zonny I would have LOVED to have baby rooming in (as they call it here), but it wasn't allowed since I had a c-section. Those with regular deliveries had their babies in the rooms with them.
    Funny how things vary from place to place. I had a c-section, and there was no other option but to have him stay in the room with me, there IS no nursery that I know of! And no one gave DH any problem about coming and going, he went where he wanted. In fact, the nurses thought it was cute that he was so often walking the halls holding DS while I got a bit of rest.

Z

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Hm, that's intersting, and I wasn't in a big city then, either - we were in Lloydminster (then there were about 15K, now it's over 25K). The nursery was quite large, actually - there were places for the babies, rockers for parents, fridges to keep breastmilk, the isolettes for babies with jaundice - then a separate room off to the side where there were breastpump machines... and of course all the supplies (hospital did cloth diapers).

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Wow I will admit I have learned so much from this thread...its like a really great movie! Horror, joy, shock, tears! lol

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

One thing I learned from this thread is that I'm not just thinking about c-section anymore, it's a definite. I just cannot fathom being cut (worse, torn) down there, it won't happen. I don't care about a huge scar on my stomach, I'll already have stretchmarks from the pregnancy anyway.
    "Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than You." - Dr. Seuss

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    One thing I learned from this thread is that I'm not just thinking about c-section anymore, it's a definite. I just cannot fathom being cut (worse, torn) down there, it won't happen. I don't care about a huge scar on my stomach, I'll already have stretchmarks from the pregnancy anyway.
    you will not have a huge scar on your stomach these days
    it's a small incision (in your hairline)
    so even in a bikini no one would ever see the scar
    unless it was the skimpiest bikini of all time

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    The scar is totally NOT huge, not like you'd think. And it's low, at your bikini line, not noticeable at all.

I don't think that here you have a choice on what method of delivery you get - it's a vaginal delivery unless there's a medical reason not to.

Z

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The medical reason is me having a panic attack hahah It will be c-section, I'll demand it.
    Last edited by papillon; Thu, Jun 24th, 2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: arggg TMI post
    "Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than You." - Dr. Seuss

orv
    Female
    Trading Score
    77 (100%)

eek i dont know i never had a C section but i would much rather stick to vaginal...surgery scares the crap out of me!!(especially the epidural and not being able to move.. im really claustrophobic and couldnt handle that...) lol.. i tore and needed stiches.. but honestly your so numb from stretching etc down there you cant even feel it... and i had NO meds (thats a lie i had a shot of demerol, and i had to push before i rolled back over and then DD came right out within like 3 minutes) 20mins after she was born i was high as a kite lol.
    Niagara Falls for New years!!! YIPPY!!!!!

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information