Page 210 of 226 FirstFirst ... 110 160 200 208 209 210 211 212 220 ... LastLast
Results 3,136 to 3,150 of 3376
Like Tree9214Likes

Thread: Last thing you baked?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    Baklava! Just taken from the oven.....this time I used pistachio nuts instead of walnuts.

Attachment 372068
    I'm literally drooling... bravo
    walkonby likes this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I had mentioned making an experimental Strudel of sorts ( a savory version ) for Christmas day using ham and pineapple as the filling brushed with a combo Dijon mustard/brown sugar sauce.
    I've rated the end product placed on the table that day as " edible " but not what I had hoped for aesthetically.
    No one needed soggy pastry on the inside!
    It had to do with how wet the ham/pineapple insisted on remaining even after I had squeezed both within an inch of their lives and repeatedly paper toweled them prior to laying them on the pastry.

However, I'm not giving up. I've mini diced the leftover ham, mixed it with similarly mini diced veg ( celery, cabbage, carrot ), mixed in Panko crumbs, and just a smidge of both Dijon and a brown sugar sauce. No pineapple!
    I have the puff pastry thawing atm, plan to make some small bundles filled with the mixture.
    Hoping the finished product will be similar to a beef Empanada type of hand held bundle.
    Giseledta and crafter like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Oh my word-that looks pretty fancy WOB. I made some morning glory muffins the other day-that is as exciting as the baking gets around here.
    Giseledta and crafter like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

ha ha ^^ @lizzie bargain There is a chance I am suffering from extreme fear and also boredom. Staying secluded for so long, never knowing whether the virus is waning or exploding....so I cook, I bake and I eat!!

Anyhow the ham pockets turned out scrumptious!

Name:  ham and veg pockets.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  76.3 KB

I made them up pretty fast using that terrific pan mold. Froze most of them nekkid, they are Ziploc bagged away now, but just had to bake a few of each to see how strong the added sauces were. ( made a distinctive slice on top of the savory ones to tell them apart from the sweeter ones )
    Could have used more Dijon in the savory batch.
    Giseledta, crafter and SassyAshley like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

ha ha ^^ @lizzie bargain There is a chance I am suffering from extreme fear and also boredom. Staying secluded for so long, never knowing whether the virus is waning or exploding....so I cook, I bake and I eat!!

Anyhow the ham pockets turned out scrumptious!

Name:  ham and veg pockets.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  76.3 KB

I made them up pretty fast using that terrific pan mold. Froze most of them nekkid, they are Ziploc bagged away now, but just had to bake a few of each to see how strong the added sauces were. ( made a distinctive slice on top of the savory ones to tell them apart from the sweeter ones )
    Could have used more Dijon in the savory batch.
    Cool idea to make ham pockets. Do you have a link for a recipe by chance?

I baked banana muffins with walnuts and banana bread. The banana bread took forever to bake...hopefully it turned out ok.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

@crafter I find most banana and other loaves take almost the full hour in the oven before the tester knife comes out clean.
    For the ham pockets, no link to a recipe because the idea stemmed from my pet peeve about wasting good food.
    You could say I " repurposed " the original pieces of ham by dicing them up very small, adding very finely diced celery and chopped bits of that dry coleslaw stuff that comes in a bag, then plopped in a mixture of Dijon mustard mixed with a caramel sauce I had intended to coat apples with....so it was mostly brown sugar in that I'd say.

Hey, I find Puff Pastry magically turns most anything into a delightfully flaky, crunchy surprise!
    Giseledta, crafter and SassyAshley like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

@crafter I find most banana and other loaves take almost the full hour in the oven before the tester knife comes out clean.
    For the ham pockets, no link to a recipe because the idea stemmed from my pet peeve about wasting good food.
    You could say I " repurposed " the original pieces of ham by dicing them up very small, adding very finely diced celery and chopped bits of that dry coleslaw stuff that comes in a bag, then plopped in a mixture of Dijon mustard mixed with a caramel sauce I had intended to coat apples with....so it was mostly brown sugar in that I'd say.

Hey, I find Puff Pastry magically turns most anything into a delightfully flaky, crunchy surprise!
    Well you've inspired me... we have a video chat with DHs sis today and we're going to make our own sausage rolls. I bought puff pastry from Metro (thawing now) and Johnsonville sausage meat with just salt and pepper. Wish me luck!
    3.50 125.00 30.00

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

@crafter !! what great fun and yumminess. They will turn out wonderful. Will you be egg washing the rolls prior to baking? Gives them a golden colour. I started making my own out of disappointment at not finding any ar 3 different grocery stores when we were really craving some.

Enjoy.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

@crafter !! what great fun and yumminess. They will turn out wonderful. Will you be egg washing the rolls prior to baking? Gives them a golden colour. I started making my own out of disappointment at not finding any ar 3 different grocery stores when we were really craving some.

Enjoy.
    Thanks! What ever happened to the good old sausage rolls we used to be able to get? I couldn't find any either. Figures crossed that they turn out tasty and yes thanks, we'll egg wash them

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Wanted something for dessert but also wanted to keep it simple so made a Pineapple Upside Down Cake using some frozen Pineapple (Love the Costco bag, lasts forever and so convenient) and a Cake Mix for the base.
    walkonby, SnowFlakey and crafter like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Mmmm, @SassyAshley that is the one simple cake I love to enjoy! I pulled 12 mini mincemeat tarts from the oven just now.
    DH loves these on Christmas Day but there were so may other goodies we just couldn't. Now is o.k. though....lol

I added tablespoons of Kraken rum that was over ice cubes as my liquid for the pastry and spilled a bit more into the mincemeat too....lol Boozy mincemeat tarts.

Name:  boozy mincemeat tarts.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  46.5 KB

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

A high-fiber version of the chocolate cookies I adapted from a non-chocolate recipe given to me by an SC member a few years ago. It uses 8 squares of melted semi-sweet chocolate and 24 tablespoons of flax meal to make 24 cookies, and the taste is pretty close to the version I made a number of times without the flax meal, before our family doctor "suggested" I raise my fiber intake.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

At Christmas when I sent the 3 that attended home with a plethora of goodies, it seems I gave away so much of the baklava that the 3 of us here ( DH, DS and I ) never really got our fill.
    Name:  world's smallest violin.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  4.5 KB
    So of course there is a new pan baking atm. This time for the toasted sugared nuts I used 1/2 c slivered almonds, 1/2 c. walnuts, 1 c. each of cashews and pecans.
    Instead of rose water I used orange blossom water in the sugar water mixture.
    I am always surprised at the long baking time for baklava 50-60 min. @ 350

Happy baking everyone!
    Last edited by walkonby; Sat, Jan 8th, 2022 at 01:21 PM. Reason: fixed nut numbers
    Giseledta and SassyAshley like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I had some applesauce I needed to use up but was not feeling the Applesauce Muffins which is my normal go to.

So instead I made Applesauce Doughnuts. I was not sure, baked doughnuts can be hit or miss. These are good. Also was not sure about the glaze having applesauce in it but it adds a nice flavour. I like them, Mom said the glaze was a touch sweet, I think next time I might add a pinch of salt to the glaze.

Also made a batch of Chocolate Chip Cookies, I had planned to make some earlier in the week but did not get to it. I was asked a couple of times if I still planned to make some, I took that as my hint.
    Giseledta, Silk, walkonby and 1 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

At Christmas when I sent the 3 that attended home with a plethora of goodies, it seems I gave away so much of the baklava that the 3 of us here ( DH, DS and I ) never really got our fill.
    Name:  world's smallest violin.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  4.5 KB
    So of course there is a new pan baking atm. This time for the toasted sugared nuts I used 1/2 c slivered almonds, 1/2 c. walnuts, 1 c. each of cashews and pecans.
    Instead of rose water I used orange blossom water in the sugar water mixture.
    I am always surprised at the long baking time for baklava 50-60 min. @ 350

Happy baking everyone!
    Just an update here.....i couldn't resist the bell pepper challenge ( no, it's not a challenge, but the meme I was sent made me laugh ,so figured I'd deface my own peppers for a giggle )

The peppers seem shocked I am still making desserty things instead of eating healthier. Maybe after covid is over.

Name:  more baklava....oh no.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  94.5 KB

Name:  surprise, we're alive.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  72.7 KB
    Giseledta, Silk, Purdee and 2 others like this.

Page 210 of 226 FirstFirst ... 110 160 200 208 209 210 211 212 220 ... LastLast

Thread Information