User Tag List

Page 201 of 966 FirstFirst ... 101 151 191 199 200 201 202 203 211 251 301 701 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,015 of 14482
Like Tree18432Likes

Thread: Safeway's Sweet AirMiles Deals

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by operabob View Post
    Safeway is having a 28 day auction of items using AirMiles. Every time you bid you need a code from a little card the cashier gives you when you buy something. There are about 30-50 items up for bids on a 4 day cycle. The first cycle just finished. There is also a daily "Group Buy" that starts every morning at 9:00am Mountain Time (8:00 AM in BC).

So far the group buys have had excellent value. Fpr example they've twice offered 32 GB iPODs for 750AMs ???? (approx. value $85 incl. tax). However, there is a limited number available and the demand was so great on this item the system crashed both days. The other items were less popular (Today's was a Hoover vacuum ret. value $200 could be had for 600 AMs = $70).

At this point the 30-50 item auction is a waste of time. People are bidding far too much. Someone bought the $500 with enough AirMiles that could have bought them $1,300 worth of gas. They lost over $800 in value. There is also an iPOD 32 GB in the 4 day auction. Someone bid around 10,000 AMs for it. They could have gone to the AirMiles website and got a 32 GB for around 4,000 AirMiles. They wasted hundreds of dollars worth of AirMiles.

Anyway, you need cards from the cashiers to make bids or buy into the group buy. I believe every time you bid requires a new code.

Here's the site:

http://www.safewayeauction.ca/

Oh, and I just got back from Safeway. My favourite cashier gave me 7 code cards. It always pays to be nice, friendly and chat up Safeway's cashiers, especially the older ones. I always call them by name too.

Thanks, operabob and thanks for the code! You are so knowledgeable about AMs!

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Dimi,

Ask for a rain check and after I do my shop this morning I'll clue you in to a secret as well.
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

There seems to be a problem with the bidding process. Via rail is showing this morning as:

$3000 VIA Rail Gift Card
    Current Bid:

Next Bid: 7,150
    Number of Bids: 38

Also, the $500 GC is not showing on my screens this morning.
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

Banned
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by operabob View Post
    Dimi,

Ask for a rain check and after I do my shop this morning I'll clue you in to a secret as well.
    Oohh.. secret! I'll trade you one!

Ron.

Trading Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dimigon View Post
    Hmm interesting, I received an e-mail earlier today from Safeway, I have registered for the auction site although have not entered anything additional, even the iPod contest:

You registered for the Safeway e-Auction and your name has been drawn as a winner of Eureka Vacuum in the instant winner portion.

You should receive your prize in the next 6-8 weeks and your Canada Safeway store will
    call you to let you know when it arrives.
    Wow Congrats! They do have 'instant winner' when you sign up. You are so lucky!
    Search/Click and win free gift cards! I could really use a friend!!
    Search and Win on swagbucks.com
    Join Superpoints, it's back!

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Slightly different topic.

Had a problem pop up with my recent Best Western stay. I had signed on for the Stay 3 Times and Get a Free night offer.

Seems the third stay was an ineligible stay because it was part of a package (and technically I gather the room rate was lower so not eligible).

However, I'd asked when booking to have the dinner & theatre tickets separated out as I wanted to use my travel cards to pay for the room and get my 3rd stay in.

Didn't get my night so I inquired by email and was told the stay didn't qualify (and if you read the small print it didn't except that I asked for separation). Any way, I contacted them again pointing out the above and this morning they emailed saying they would grant the night.

As I've said many times in the past the CSRs at Best Western are the best!
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Dimi,

OK, done my shop.

$103 = 695 AMs (Would've picked up another 15 but didn't use my credit card).

When looking for AirMiles specials and finding there are empty shelves don't forget to look at the cap ends of the aisles. Airmile specials are often displayed there as well.

I just grabbed another 12 Nivea at the end of the vitamins over by the pharmacy at the Shelbourne store. There are about 30 left there now. Be quick as as this notice goes up I bet there'll be a few people heading out to check this out.

Good luck!
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

PS: Apparently the BW I stayed at also had to agree to credit my 3rd stay and my contact at CS asked me to mention it.

Thank you Best Western, Chemainus, BC.

It was the dinner theater package for "Fiddler on the Roof".
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

FreeBee
    Trading Score
    77 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by myguppy View Post
    Lol! It was an SCer gathering

Ugh, it was just brutal. So frustrating!! My daughter was the only one happy about it because she was allowed to watch tv the whole time I was on the computer trying to get it to work
    I'm still on anxious nerves because they *still* haven't downloaded the "winners" information so they can't verify I got one- even though I have an order number in my e-auction account and the confirmation e-mail I don't feel confident. I never got the "group deal didn't happen" e-mail which adds to my concern.

Safeway is ridiculously expensive, I totally agree. The airmiles I have [currently only around 1450] are the accumulation from the past 10 years. yep. 10. I spent around 300 on a toy for my daughter two years ago, but that was about it. I've only shopped the amazing airmiles bonus deals that had good prices that I had coupons for or really needed... and haven't done that in over a year! Some people are really good at gathering them, and it helps if you buy a lot of processed stuff regularly [we don't] because some of their sales [BOGO esp.] can be good. But, for us, Superstore is closer, cheaper, and easier!

I hope your parents' house isn't too badly damaged and that it's fixed up soon!

{hugs}

LOL it's funny, an SC gathering without even knowing it!

Haha your daughter getting to watch TV...! That's great

I wasn't able to enter as when I'd callen in under my mom's name (She's the one with the airmiles card) I gave them my cell number. So when I entered her, I used her house number... my dad's under his cell number, and DH under his number. So I was SOL because I don't have a landline or any other number! So we only got 3 entries... I have been checking alll 3 email accounts and haven't gotten anything from Safeway so I am now just livid. I wonder how they're going to be posting the winner list, as I know lots of peole have the same name (I saw someone in the comments with the exact same name as me!)

So did you "win" via email through the random draw, or do you mean you won one during the actual group buy?

Safeway IS ridiculously expensive. My mom shops there religiously only on Customer Appreciation Day and makes a habit of buying things with bonus airmiles. I don't think it's worth it... and has only redeemed a 64gb ipod touch for my brother last year for 7000 points. She has another 8000 points (which at this point I refused to ask if they'll buy one for me as I'm so angry about this ordeal that I almost- I say that lightly... don't even want anymore!!), but all of this is accumulated from over 20 years.

Damages are quite a bit. They haven't completely asessed it yet. Their house has been almost vacant for 3 years. The basement where the flooding took place has been their stockpile of stuff. Floor to ceiling of boxes.... but that's another story.

Myguppy
    Trading Score
    35 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dealbreakers View Post
    LOL it's funny, an SC gathering without even knowing it!

Haha your daughter getting to watch TV...! That's great

I wasn't able to enter as when I'd callen in under my mom's name (She's the one with the airmiles card) I gave them my cell number. So when I entered her, I used her house number... my dad's under his cell number, and DH under his number. So I was SOL because I don't have a landline or any other number! So we only got 3 entries... I have been checking alll 3 email accounts and haven't gotten anything from Safeway so I am now just livid. I wonder how they're going to be posting the winner list, as I know lots of peole have the same name (I saw someone in the comments with the exact same name as me!)

So did you "win" via email through the random draw, or do you mean you won one during the actual group buy?

Safeway IS ridiculously expensive. My mom shops there religiously only on Customer Appreciation Day and makes a habit of buying things with bonus airmiles. I don't think it's worth it... and has only redeemed a 64gb ipod touch for my brother last year for 7000 points. She has another 8000 points (which at this point I refused to ask if they'll buy one for me as I'm so angry about this ordeal that I almost- I say that lightly... don't even want anymore!!), but all of this is accumulated from over 20 years.

Damages are quite a bit. They haven't completely asessed it yet. Their house has been almost vacant for 3 years. The basement where the flooding took place has been their stockpile of stuff. Floor to ceiling of boxes.... but that's another story.
    I "won" the group buy- paying 750 airmiles for the 32gb iPod Touch. I got the official confirmation e-mail this morning [letting me know that even though the group buy didn't go through I was getting one] and I almost peed my pants with excitement!! WEEE!!!!!!! Lol, we don't have a CD player- my discman is the only thing that works and it's ancient [so hardly works ].... I can't wait to join the land of current technology!!
    I'd love for you to take a look at my shop! Handmade fine jewellery: high quality, reasonable prices, locally made [by me!]

Trading Score
    137 (98%)

I miss living close to a safeway!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

OPERABOB , congrats! I heard you on CBC! registered here ,to track your advice and learn your strategies.
    Last edited by operaguy; Wed, Aug 24th, 2011 at 06:27 PM.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Safeway IS ridiculously expensive.
    If you watch yourself you can do very well, for example, take my shop today:

$103 and got 695 AMs which I'll most likely use towards BW GCs.

Now I doubt you can find the soap cheaper than $2.71 anywhere but even if Safeway was 20% more expensive (which I seriously doubt) then you could get those items elsewhere for around $83 but no bonus points.

So a cost of goods of $20 more but the 695 AMs = $93 so in real terms I'm ahead $93 - $20 = $73 on a $103 shop.

If I turned the 695 AMs into fuel then it equals $80. Subtract the $20 higher groceries you're still ahead with $60 worth of free fuel.
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

OG,

Thanks!

OB
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

OG,

1. Collect coupons
    2. Look for Manufacturers specials that are discounted and have lots of AirMiles as a bonus
    3. Go after items you can buy in bulk and store (such as this week's Nivea soap)
    4. If an item runs out get a "rain check" good for 90 days. Using the rain check on 10% Tuesday will boost your return

Note on Specials you're allowed 10 multiples or 500 AMs/day/shop . For example the Nivea is B2G50. The most you can buy in one shop is 20 boxes which hits both the 10 multiple and 10 x 50 AM = 500 AMs limit. You can repeat the next day. Some say having a second Safeway Club card gets around this but you'd still have to go through the cash register twice.

5. Consider donating to charity, for example, the Nivea again:

If you had the $2 coupons you could have got 2 for $2.07 and picked up 50 AMs worth approx. $5.72.

Buy 10 multiples for $20.70 and get $57.20 in AMs. (Do this many times and you can really boost that.)

Donate to a food bank that gives a charitable tax receipt and you'd get about $5.25 back in taxes which means every ($20.70 - $5.25) $15.45 cents you spend gets you $57.20 in Airmiles a 270% profit.
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

Thread Information