User Tag List

Page 24 of 149 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 74 124 ... LastLast
Like Tree5643Likes

Thread: What's blooming in your yard?

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Well, I have been away for a week and my dad said he would water my pots. So since he only did it twice and it was hot as heck here my garden is suffering quite a bit. My wave petunias are dead and some other things are borderline.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Ahh, sorry to hear about your poor plants, Patty. Imo, no one can take as good care of your garden than you...use that Green Thumb of yours to whip your garden into shape!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Well after a really good soaking some things are looking a little better lol. Thankfully my pride and joy Dragon Wings begonias are tough. I didn't think they could get any bigger but they did lol
    GoJays and BC Gal like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Finally starting to ripen!
    Name:  cherry toms.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  35.1 KB
    GoJays, BC Gal and AliceStewart21 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by muggos0101 View Post
    Finally starting to ripen!
    Name:  cherry toms.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  35.1 KB
    it look very good,
    Koolaid and muggos0101 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks, Alice!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

It 's our first time attempting to grow pumpkins, but I'm thinking we're not being too successful.
    Shouldn't the two of them be larger than a baseball by now?
    Does anyone know?
    GoJays likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Lynn,
    I only grew winter squash once...it was butternut squash and one plant took over my entire garden! To add insult to injury, I only got one large and one small squash out of it.

Sometimes the squash will spend all its energy making foliage at the cost of fruit production. If it's not important to you to get more squash, you can actually pinch off the growing tip and that will concentrate the plant's energy towards ripening the existing pumpkins. Make sure you are watering it enough too, they require a lot of water at that stage.
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

i beat you Lynnie! My watermelon is the size of a softball! lol... it's done.. i wasn't really expecting much from it anyway.. dd thought it was fun to try at least we got a couple of nice cucumbers this year.. next year i'll concentrate on more vegetable plants and less annuals
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Lol...thank you Marstec, Jays...I feel better knowing there's an art to growing these!
    I'll certainly head out there this morning and hack off that tip or more...you're right...it's taken over, must be 15' long!

Okay. I hacked the nose off the invasive thing and I hope that'll do it some good.
    Or the kids will need binoculars to see the wee thing this halloween...
    I should proudly give it to our grandson and announce that we grew it just for him!! LOL!'
    He'd be too polite, I'm sure, to say anything but 'thank you'....hahaha!!!
    Last edited by Lynn49; Thu, Aug 23rd, 2012 at 08:37 PM.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

I "Harvested" our ripe tomatoes today. TWO ripe grape tomatoes! We had a little ceremony to celebrate. The TASTED good, though! We DO have others that are about to ripen. We have some nice grape clusters - pretty sour though and not enough to do much with them - I hope the birds find them!
    krysta lynne likes this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

I've been giving my cherry tomato plants Van Houtte coffee grounds. They are huge plants so I guess they liked it Thank goodness they are ripening since we get blight here and it's already setting in. I stopped growing other types of tomatoes because they take too long and the blight over takes the plant.

I'm not the best gardener, but I'm learning. A neighbour who's yard is a beautiful jungle told me to fertilize every 7 to 10 days instead of once a month during growing season. It has really made a difference. I use a little less than recommended and switch different ones around, including fish, seaweed, etc.

Anyone have tips/tricks to make gardens grow bigger and better? How do you keep your garden looking it's best?

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

oh i getting tons of little cherry tomatoes -love them in my salads-and a few regular tomatoes -but they seem to be crackling in texture near the top -does anyone know why-might need to water that sucker more

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    oh i getting tons of little cherry tomatoes -love them in my salads-and a few regular tomatoes -but they seem to be crackling in texture near the top -does anyone know why-might need to water that sucker more
    Some tomato varieties are more prone to splitting than others. It could also be watering issues. You might want to pick them as they are turning ripe rather than when they are fully ripe - just ripen them in a bowl. The flavour won't be affected much unless you pick them when they are still green. I've heard about people complain when their tomatoes split right after a heavy rain, so the excess moisture might be encouraging growth that the tomato can't sustain, so hence the cracking.

BC Gal,

The only advice I can give about making your garden more productive is to amend the soil every year. Plants like growing in loose fertile soil with lots of organic matter. Composting helps a lot. I used to add tons of peat moss to my garden, but I found it really didn't help...it acidifies the soil and breaks down quickly without adding much else. If you have a source of well-rotted manure, that would be good too...but make sure you aren't introducing a bunch of new weeds or you will regret it!

Keep everything weeded as best as you can because plants don't like the competition. And learn about proper watering techniques so that you are making the most of the water, which allows the plants to develop a deep root system that will help them get through between waterings.
    BC Gal likes this.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Great advice marstec. I have been adding peat moss to the soil because it's heavy clay, thinking that would help. Good to know to spend my money elsewhere. As well, I let a lot of native plants grow if there is room, but didn't really consider room for the roots. Thanks

Page 24 of 149 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 74 124 ... LastLast

Thread Information