User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Container Gardening

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by oscarandme View Post
    I have tried to do the indoor container planting and outdoor as well and used Miracle Grow bags mixed with regular soil and the soil dries up on me and my little dreams wilt away. they areshards, some rocks at bottom for drainage, maybe too much? I have started tomato plants from seeds, put domes on till older...DH built me a sort of green house at our cottage with old windows, doors and all framed and we got some good "S H @ T" from a soil supplier in that area and we started to grow Gilligans' Island tomatoes and veggies, barely weeded too and here I baby, I watch, I talk to and cheer. I grow a little white waving .

Every spring I take everything out and DH says "Oh no, no-no not again" I need to do this!!I want to save, taste the difference and know what I am eating and also prove him wrong. can anyone shed some light on my pitiful situation with specifics. Like soil mixes you use for like tomatoes? Herbs? and recommended containers? and watering schedule. Thank you so-so much.
    I've seen urban gardeners over here do well planting tomatoes in garbage cans and those large paint pails, with holes drilled into them. They appear to want a deep (about 1.5 feet minimum depth, more better) container and almost daily watering in summer, one plant per large deep container, so they usually plant something like lettuce around the tomato plant that they can pull out and eat by the time the tomato plant gets large. I haven't done it myself, planning to try this season.

Trading Score
    93 (100%)

Tomatoes tend to have a big root system, they need quite a bit of space to grow, for their roots, so one per container type of plant. You can make a pretty cheap self-watering planter (google, there are a couple idea on how to do it, one uses two rubbermaid containers and a pond filter). That would prevent them from drying out which is usually the problem with tomatoes in containers. I had two tomato plants last year in my litle backyard, I didn't do anything special to them, but they survived while everything else was eaten by the squirrels. I did make sure to water them everyday, a good soaking down at the bottom of the plant. You could plant something like lettuce which has a shallow root system with the tomatoes, or an herb like basil.

Trading Score
    93 (100%)

And for an interesting container garden, would work with herbs, lettuce, anything that only needs a small or shallow space for roots.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Name:  64158_357738274330076_1028415716_n.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  46.7 KB
    Natalka, Angela273, Lynn49 and 5 others like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    408 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by oscarandme View Post
    I have tried to do the indoor container planting and outdoor as well and used Miracle Grow bags mixed with regular soil and the soil dries up on me and my little dreams wilt away. they areshards, some rocks at bottom for drainage, maybe too much? I have started tomato plants from seeds, put domes on till older...DH built me a sort of green house at our cottage with old windows, doors and all framed and we got some good "S H @ T" from a soil supplier in that area and we started to grow Gilligans' Island tomatoes and veggies, barely weeded too and here I baby, I watch, I talk to and cheer. I grow a little white waving .

Every spring I take everything out and DH says "Oh no, no-no not again" I need to do this!!I want to save, taste the difference and know what I am eating and also prove him wrong. can anyone shed some light on my pitiful situation with specifics. Like soil mixes you use for like tomatoes? Herbs? and recommended containers? and watering schedule. Thank you so-so much.
    Try a bottom feeding/self watering container for tomatoes. I did 2 plants of cherry tomatoes last summer and it was pure insanity. I got mine in the states but you can get them in canada. I'll take a look for the brand later today if I get a chance.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

I really want to grow tomatoes, peppers and herbs this year.

I have killed every houseplant I've ever had, so gardening really intimidates me. But I've always wanted to try it.

We don't have a yard just a concrete patio out back of our new place. But I think i could get some clay pots and such to start growing some of my own veggies and herbs.

Does anyone have tips, tricks etc for someone who literally has no idea what they're doing? Lol. Like which things are easiest to grow, hence good for beginners? YouTube and eHow and stuff are useful but I always prefer to get tips from people who I know and who I can run back to for questions when it goes wrong hahaha.

Most of the videos I've watched advise you to start growing your veg/herbs in early spring so that by now they're sprouting and ready to plant in the garden (or in our case in clay pots or some kind of container). With moving at the end of the month I don't see a point in starting anything now. And I don't know if I want to buy my seeds online as I'd rather get them asap. Is CT or WM good enough?

TIA!
    Join me, and other women like YOU! BELIEVE & TRANSFORM is a community of positive, uplifting women who support and encourage each other with ZERO judgement!

We are women supporting women; moms helping moms. We are YOU. Join us today

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Bronwen - in your situation (moving/not experienced) I'd advise you to not go the seed route, and instead just pick up some veggie seedlings from garden centre once you're ready to go. For now just start accumulating pots (clay is great because it breathes but remember to water more) and maybe keep some large ice cream tubs (for lettuce, it has small roots) and stock up on soil (home depot is having a sale on soil bags now, $1 for 20L) and then when you move, just set everything up (early may after last frost) and get some live plants and follow instructions they came with as far as spacing.

If you get seeds now, they may get leggy and then not do well and then you're gonna be like 'see i kill everything i grow' and get even more discouraged. so just go with live plants when you're ready and next year do seeds.
    Bronwen likes this.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Thank you!!

I didn't know you could buy them already planted!! Where would I go? CT? Or maybe Home Depot if they have the soil on sale, they must have plants too right?
    Join me, and other women like YOU! BELIEVE & TRANSFORM is a community of positive, uplifting women who support and encourage each other with ZERO judgement!

We are women supporting women; moms helping moms. We are YOU. Join us today

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bronwen View Post
    I really want to grow tomatoes, peppers and herbs this year.

I have killed every houseplant I've ever had, so gardening really intimidates me. But I've always wanted to try it.

We don't have a yard just a concrete patio out back of our new place. But I think i could get some clay pots and such to start growing some of my own veggies and herbs.

Does anyone have tips, tricks etc for someone who literally has no idea what they're doing? Lol. Like which things are easiest to grow, hence good for beginners? YouTube and eHow and stuff are useful but I always prefer to get tips from people who I know and who I can run back to for questions when it goes wrong hahaha.

Most of the videos I've watched advise you to start growing your veg/herbs in early spring so that by now they're sprouting and ready to plant in the garden (or in our case in clay pots or some kind of container). With moving at the end of the month I don't see a point in starting anything now. And I don't know if I want to buy my seeds online as I'd rather get them asap. Is CT or WM good enough?

TIA!
    Use plastic pots clay pots dry out to quick.
    itsmewhoelse likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Poirot View Post
    Use plastic pots clay pots dry out to quick.
    CT or WM are good enough for seeds.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I'm looking for planter ideas, found this site - see different tabs for shade, sun, etc. Love that there are links to info on each flower/plant.

http://www.ballhort.com/Retailers/Mi...er.aspx?id=176
    http://www.ballhort.com/Retailers/ShadeContainers.aspx
    itsmewhoelse likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Thanks for the links Natalka I am looking to change up my containers this year, I love how they even show you where to place them!!
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I'm in the same boat, TG - I tend to place mine the same way, buy the same/similar plants... time for a change here too! Thought it's hard to not use faves, lol!
    thriftygranny likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks

Trading Score
    126 (100%)

Hi everyone, here is another awesome idea!! You can grow your own sprouts in your kitchen - in a mason jar (Sprouts are full of vitamins) , it's so easy, look at this video on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V6yN...yer_detailpage

Here is a video on how to grow sprouts in bowls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=LCkS0mEQ1Xg

This is how I grew Alfalfa sprouts in a mason jar - in my kitchen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=a0aCUihdrYw
    Last edited by Mystic; Mon, May 27th, 2013 at 09:39 PM.
    gourmetsue and GatineauGirl like this.
    Join Swagbucks - I've earned $150.00 so far!!
    "If you can dream it - you can do it"

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information