User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: why did I let those guys in the house?? I hate myself!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I feel so stupid right now and worried. There was 2 men saying they are from Ontario Home consumer and needs to come in to check the furnace to see if I m qualify for free replacement. They said few times they are not salesmen. I usually don't let stranger in the house, but from their company name, I thought there were from Ontario Government. So I let them from inside to the basement to check, they took at look and ask me they need to see a copy of our Enbridge bill, at this point I m worried, so I said they must leave now, because I got something to do, they started to show me some information on their chipboard, but I insist I will call them if I needed anything. So they left, and they claim they will be back tomorrow! After they left I did search on the company, its actually a company not relate to the government at all, I m worried right now. My relatives a few years ago let some stranger in the house to check something about gas and few days after their house for robbed! that is why I usually don't let strangers come in the house, unless they are from government agencies. How can I be so stupid, sigh. I hope nothing bad will happen, because there are no men in the house, its only me and my baby. If anything is to happen. I m dead. anyone here meet people from this company before??
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I would suggest calling your local police department, they would know if they have gone to other people's houses. Most of the time on things like this people will call the police and they can will keep notes and see if there is a pattern. My aunt is a cop and I know she has looked into things like this before for people.

Hope you have nothing to worry about but to be safe I would call them.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    I would suggest calling your local police department, they would know if they have gone to other people's houses. Most of the time on things like this people will call the police and they can will keep notes and see if there is a pattern. My aunt is a cop and I know she has looked into things like this before for people.

Hope you have nothing to worry about but to be safe I would call them.
    never had call the police before, what is the number for non emergences?

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

They have been working around petawawa, ontario a week ago, where they hitting now.

Known SCAM, nothing wrong, not cheaper to go with them. They even threaten peoepl who don;t let them in that they are required by law which is BS. Only peoepl allowed inside your houe top inspect your furnace, is your furnace repair shop, gas/oil company you are with and insurance.

I woudl just drop by the station and file a report as they can help file in forms with you.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

It would depend where you live, look up your town/city police dept and the number will be there
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Check your windows and doors, if you're thinking they could come back and rob you, make sure everything is locked. I think you're OK though, someone was trying to make money off you in a less obvious way of theft I think.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

ok, called and spoke to the Markham police, he said those guys are not criminals and nothing they are doing is illegal, they are just people who want to sell services, he said if they come back, just DO NOT sign anything, and tell them to leave. he said they visited his place too, and this wife actually end up signing a 2 year contract, and he is locked in for 2 years. Well, he just said nothing to be worried, just don't let strangers in the house anymore.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

No one said they where criminals, just brain washed employees into a SCAM to get people to join there service
    Anna Michele likes this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

good think that you called the police....i'm pretty sure you feel much better now.....agree with them with the 'never let strangers in the house anymore'....we never know who knock at the door....
    Last edited by Mia001; Thu, Dec 20th, 2012 at 08:57 PM.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Check out this site:

http://www.burnedatthedoor.com/

It gives more info as to what they were doing and why they are crooks.
    I've made this mistake too, just try to learn from it.
    Last edited by GracieAnne; Thu, Dec 20th, 2012 at 08:58 PM.
    Darla and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

thinking back what happened to my aunt really freaked me out, those people pretended to be some employees of a gas company, ask to come in the house, and my aunt back then didn't know much english and got scam into getting them in. after the robbery, the police said those guys probably looked around inside the house, see where the alarm systems are placed, the locations of doors and windows and the settings of the house. Aunt recalls he did let some strangers who claims to be from a gas company and need to come in for inspection. The police told my aunt that those people had planned for the whole robbery. They were able to get in the house, cut all the wirings from outside, which at the same time disable all the alarm system and phone, cracked the door knob. This happened during the day time! Somehow those guys know exactly when my aunts goes to work and no one will be home, that is when they start to act....is pretty scary.......that was why I got soooo worried. I probably won't able to sleep for nights if I didn't call the police. sigh.
    Natalka and Anna Michele like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

DO NOT EVER let anyone in your house ever that you do not know. Especially if you are alone.

Not even the Government. Although I don't know why they would need to come to your house in the first place. If someone from the government needs to meet with you and they happen to show up at your door arrange a time and date that you can meet at THEIR business office. NEVER EVER let someone you do not know into your home. Even the most well dressed, professional individuals can be criminals and crooks.

Glad this turned out to be nothing more than people trying to get you to switch heating companies.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

but he had a clipboard!
    I can't profess to understand God's plan. Christ promised the resurrection of the dead. I just thought he had something a little different in mind.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by cinpow View Post
    I feel so stupid right now and worried. There was 2 men saying they are from Ontario Home consumer and needs to come in to check the furnace to see if I m qualify for free replacement. They said few times they are not salesmen. I usually don't let stranger in the house, but from their company name, I thought there were from Ontario Government. So I let them from inside to the basement to check, they took at look and ask me they need to see a copy of our Enbridge bill, at this point I m worried, so I said they must leave now, because I got something to do, they started to show me some information on their chipboard, but I insist I will call them if I needed anything. So they left, and they claim they will be back tomorrow! After they left I did search on the company, its actually a company not relate to the government at all, I m worried right now. My relatives a few years ago let some stranger in the house to check something about gas and few days after their house for robbed! that is why I usually don't let strangers come in the house, unless they are from government agencies. How can I be so stupid, sigh. I hope nothing bad will happen, because there are no men in the house, its only me and my baby. If anything is to happen. I m dead. anyone here meet people from this company before??
    Maybe if you have a baseball bat or golf club keep it near you in your home.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by cinpow View Post
    Definitely contact your local police, or crime stoppers as this is a scam, and even your local newspaper..maybe they can print an article warning people so it will stop these people. A family member was possibly scammed and as soon as I found out, I contacted the police who did tell me to also call crime stoppers. All my best for staying safe!!
    Anna Michele likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information