User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree679Likes

Thread: Is Couponing Killing Us?

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by roseofblack25 View Post
    This is why I find it hard to coupon! I rarely ever use them because they are never for things that I actually use...
    Remember the free Pom juice with coupon? I was so happy for that.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Manufacturers are hoping you will use their coupons to try stuff you never bought before. If a person runs out and buys an item, just because they have a coupon and it's on sale, are you really saving? If you've never purchased it before, you'd be saving more money if you didn't buy it, right? You can still find great coupons for fresh meat and veggies, eggs and dairy products from time to time, and for a lot of things like flour, sugars, yeast and a lot of things that I use to make my foods from scratch. I ONLY purchase what I normally use. I have gotten things for my dd's, for donations and for friends, but I would never buy anything for myself that I had never used before just because I had a coupon or even get it for free. Our health is more important than any amount of savings from coupons. Eating healthy is one of the best gifts we can give our families and ourselves, don't be fooled into impulse buys by manufacturers offering you a piece of paper.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Very insightful thoughts OP

I realized the same thing last year and started making changes. Sometimes we eat crap (take out, KD, cereal, lol), but it's because DH and I are both full time students (him doing a Graduate Degree),so at the end of some days if I haven't popped something in the crock pot in the am then there's not much else to eat. And like someone else said, I get some coupons purely to trade, as I'm sure all of us do.

I have realized that while there may not be a ton of coupons for fresh fruit and vegetables (unless you buy sugary stuff like the snack packs), I can feel ok about spending money on overpriced, off-sale produce because I still saved money on the other stuff in my cart, especially diapers! I haven't bought diapers without a minimum of $8 coupon since last spring! Plus they do have things like Arctic Gardens and Europe's Best coupons!

The biggest change in my health has been battling anxiety but that's not necessarily a new issue, rather one I've come to accept, kind of. This relates to couponing because I get anxious to leave the house. And I get anxious when I'm at the checkout - I hate when people come behind me and have to wait even tho I warn them and they don't leave!

Anyway, good thoughts OP and good article
    Join me, and other women like YOU! BELIEVE & TRANSFORM is a community of positive, uplifting women who support and encourage each other with ZERO judgement!

We are women supporting women; moms helping moms. We are YOU. Join us today

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bronwen View Post
    I have realized that while there may not be a ton of coupons for fresh fruit and vegetables (unless you buy sugary stuff like the snack packs),

Plus they do have things like Arctic Gardens and Europe's Best coupons!
    Yes, I remember free/low cost Europe's Best frozen fruit.
    Remember the coupons for free strawberries and free bananas?
    Remember the FPC for yogurt from Facebook?

Yes, you can eat well.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Sure but dont forget the coupons for fresh chicken, beef, milk, cheese, eggs, yogurt, hummus, low sodium crackers, nuts, juice, granola bars, frozen vegetables, healthy cereals, bread. Then there's all the toilet paper and paper towel ones. Just dont let the coupons tempt you if you wouldnt buy them normally. Everyone has to choose what is right for them.

Re: soaps. You can for sure get all natural soaps, etc, but you will have to go to a health food store and pay $10 for it. Or spend a day making it youself. Some people can't afford that.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    Sure but dont forget the coupons for fresh chicken, beef, milk, cheese, eggs, yogurt, hummus, low sodium crackers, nuts, juice, granola bars, frozen vegetables, healthy cereals, bread.
    Yes.
    Maple leaf prime chicken with the coupons in the packages - I remember.
    Loblaws had eggs 2/$3 and a $0.50 coupon making it $1.00 for a dozen eggs.
    And free Liberte yogurt from Facebook

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

BTW: I am noticing a lot of threads the last couple of days where people are judging what other people buy. I have a foot injury and can't stand up to cook dinner (no leftovers). At work sometimes I can't even take a 10 min break for lunch. Having a frozen Lean Cuisine in the work freezer makes sure I can eat. Why do we feel the need to justify something like this?

DH likes chicken nuggets and potato chips. I don't like them but if I can make him happy by getting them for him once in a while, I'd rather get them with a coupon. The only fish he will eat is high liner flame savours. Not what I like generally but if it gives him the nutrients in fish I'm glad he'll eat it and I will stock up on sale. My brother was an extremely picky eater as a child. I remember my mom feeding him ANYTHING he wanted just to get him to eat SOMETHING because he was underweight. And if that was hot dogs, what are you going to do? Let him starve? (and yes, he would rather have starved). Get a coupon at least and save money.

But really, we shouldn't judge what people buy. You don't know their circumstances. For example: You will often see me at Metro buying solely Lean Cuisine, cookies and granola bars. I get produce in Chinatown and you wouldn't know it from seeing my conveyor belt. And why should you judge me anyway?

ETA this post is not directed at the OP. I've just been seeing it around the last few days
    Last edited by torontogal12; Thu, Jan 24th, 2013 at 08:16 PM.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I don't think this post was trying to be judgemental but merely a dialogue to discusse some of the, shall I say, "disadvantages" of couponing.

I agree that I generally don't buy stuff that I would not normally use or buy just because there is a coupon. And especially not to have some big "stockpile". We eat well, lots of fruits, veggies, healthy protein, fish, eggs, whole wheat bread, etc.

That being said I did get the Jello oreo pudding cups for treats for the kids and us (only 100 cal) and they only cost me about $0.50 for 8 of them so I don't think that's too bad. I wouldn't have bought them if it wasn't for couponing but I'll tell you when I am pms'ing I will buy chocolate bars for over a dollar each (and many more calories) because I don't care at that point

I also got some laundry soap, the sunlight pods for sensitive skin with coupons and sale at WM they were $1.97 for 24 so I will try them even tough I would normally buy the tide pods.
    Start your savings with Ing direct orange key: 14063041S1

Have you tried swagbucks? http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/sciotti

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Sometimes it is good to buy things you normally wouldn't buy because you have a coupon. I know we got into a habit of only buying things we knew we liked, why because quite a few times we purchased something new and ended up not liking it which lead to money in the garbage. Now with coupons if I get it free or almost free we will buy things to try them and have found some great new products we probably never would have tried before.

Do I buy everything I get a coupon for no, I trade a lot of them, I give them to people at work, I have people I trade with often and I will see a coupon I know they can use so I will message them hey I got this coupon this weekend would you like it. For me when it comes to food it is to each their own. I grew up with divorced parents, my mom would let us have treats and snacks where is my step mom was all about the healthy good for you food, now that I am adult I look for a balance. I know I will never go junk free everyone once in awhile you want a bag of chips or some cookies but as long as I don't get eat that so be it. It is to each there own.

Scottishgal
    Trading Score
    480 (100%)

I always emailed company's when they put out great coupons on their products. Ziplock for example had some great ones so I emailed and metioned how sooo many people on the site that I was on loved that they were putting out coupons for Fresh Vegs., etc. and told them I hope they keep up the great job. They emailed me back and Thanked me and said they were planning on putting out more of these kinds of coupons. Great company

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Thanks for taking that initiative! I hope they count the number of redemptions for those coupons. I bet they were sky high!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgal View Post
    I always emailed company's when they put out great coupons on their products. Ziplock for example had some great ones so I emailed and metioned how sooo many people on the site that I was on loved that they were putting out coupons for Fresh Vegs., etc. and told them I hope they keep up the great job. They emailed me back and Thanked me and said they were planning on putting out more of these kinds of coupons. Great company
    Angela273, macw1960 and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    91 (100%)

I think you bring up some great and valid points.

Couponing and getting things for free/close to free brings such a rush that I feel many fall into the trap of buying things just because of the sale + coupon matchup. I think new couponers, especially, fall into this pattern that manufacturers want --- and I hope that some of those shoppers will read this thread and reflect on what they are buying and if it is actually in the best interest of their health and family.
    Natalka, macw1960, cath007 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I coupon at my mechanic. He gives coupons. Good guy. The old car needs maintenance and I am very, very happy to pay less. Yay!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

At the dentist office, I got coupons for Colgate Total Care - it's expensive. But it was free after sale and after coupon. Dentist also has Cheerios coupons - multigrain is my favourite. And has fiber too.

So my teeth are good and my fiber is good (less chance of colon cancer).
    Looks like coupons are keeping me healthy.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Those CAA movie passes + coupon packages last December -- really great. Gave to friends with kids. There was BOGO pizza pizza coupon - friend's kids thought I walked on air. Oh so many hugs. Even from the "cool" little boy.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information