User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree679Likes

Thread: Is Couponing Killing Us?

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I can't believe how many people are commenting on the post! I figured not a single person would respond because they'd figure I was dissing their beloved coupons! I'm happy that I'm not the only one feeling the way I do or realizing the things I am.

Pam - I agree about the Special K products not being good for you. How about all those "Breakfast Sandwiches" that seem to be all the rave now? The ones at Tim Hortons or McD's will kill you and these boxed ones have to be even worse. The last whack of coupons I ordered were a bunch of Special K products and then all of those Kraft coupons. Not a single one of those things is real food. Well, Kraft shredded, but even that makes me wonder what they sprinkle on the cheese to help keep it moist for so long. The bulk of my coupons are useless to me, but there are still many gems!
    Lynn49, macw1960 and anastasia1009 like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Here's another thing I've been pondering. I do a lot of donations and most of it is stuff that I get for free.

So what do I do:

A) Still get whatever I can for free to donate. These people need anything they can get - it doesn't matter if it's not healthy.

B) Be responsible and vote with my money/coupons. Don't buy this junk no matter if it's free or not. Besides, feeding this to the food bank folks isn't doing them any favours anyway. It's not fair to feed them things I would feel comfortable feeding my own family. Send a message to manufacturers that I am not going to purchase their product no matter what.

What is the correct way of thinking?

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

agree with you about the sanwiches.....even if they are Special K.....to me, they look too much like the Eggs McMuffins ......that was what Dh choose when we had breakfast at McDo once ( the only time).....i can't help laughting and remembering his face when he uncovered the thing ...he said 'if i eat it, i'll be sick for sure'.....lol......and did you know that WW diet does not recommend Special K......but....i love their new granola cereals .....
    Last edited by Mia001; Fri, Jan 25th, 2013 at 05:07 PM.
    Lynn49, macw1960 and tccl21 like this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

oups, i was a little out of topic......couponing might kill you if you work hard like the TLC extreme couponers.....personnally i can say 'yes, couponing tried to kill me many times'
    but, i peace down a little ( more than a little i think) with couponing ....that's why i don't post much about coupons ...

though i still seek coupons for products we need and use + i'm glad if i find coupons for new products i'd like to try ( no coupon=no buy)....and i always carry my coupon thing , in case i find a good deal +have the coupon to pay even less.....i'm a lot less stressed about coupons

many cashiers know me as 'mrs coupon'..... some ask me where to get coupons.....and if ever i lost my coupons thing ( happened a few times).....it's patiently waiting for me near a cashier....

sorry for my long story....hoping it makes sens....lol
    Last edited by Mia001; Fri, Jan 25th, 2013 at 05:25 PM.
    Natalka and macw1960 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    174 (100%)

don't even get me started on those special k breakfast sandwiches and shakes!! ahhh!!! Eat some eggs, probably cheaper and take 1 min in microwave to make! (I put salsa on mine today and it was delicious.)
    LF: kashi from websaver and 50 cents any cereal printout
    FT: Mann's veg and more! Check out my tradelist/wishlist

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Jan 19th, 2015 at 08:42 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    174 (100%)

yikes! lots of sodium too.

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    Awlright, you got me started! (It's just that I thought the egg part would be eggs. Period.)

Ingredients:

SCRAMBLED EGG PATTY (WHOLE EGGS, WHEY, EGG WHITES, NONFAT MILK, SOYBEAN OIL, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, SODIUM BICARBONATE, XANTHAN GUM, GUAR GUM, CITRIC ACID, PEPPER),

MULTIGRAIN FLATBREAD
    (WATER, WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, ENRICHED FLOUR [WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID], YEAST, SUGAR, WHEAT GLUTEN, OAT FIBER, WHEAT BRAN, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF MODIFIED WHEAT STARCH, VINEGAR, SOYBEAN OIL, SALT, CULTURED WHEAT FLOUR, ROLLED WHEAT, CULTURED WHEAT STARCH, RYE NUGGETS, CORN GRITS, ROLLED OATS, MONOGLYCERIDES, RYE FLAKES, SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE, TRITICALE FLAKES, BROWN RICE FLOUR, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM SULFATE, GUAR GUM, BARLEY FLAKES, HULLED MILLET, WHOLE FLAX SEED, ENZYMES, ASCORBIC ACID, CALCIUM PROPIONATE [PRESERVATIVE]),

SAUSAGE PATTY
    (PORK, MECHANICALLY SEPARATED TURKEY, WATER, SALT, SPICES, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, DEXTROSE, SPICE EXTRACTIVES),

PASTEURIZED PROCESS WHITE CHEDDAR CHEESE PRODUCT
    (CHEESE [PASTEURIZED MILK, CHEESE CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES], WATER, CREAM, SKIM MILK, SODIUM PHOSPHATES, CASEIN, NATURAL CHEDDAR CHEESE FLAVOR [CHEDDAR CHEESE (PASTEURIZED MILK, SALT, CHEESE CULTURE, ENZYME), WATER, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, BUTTER OIL, XANTHAN GUM], SALT).
    macw1960 likes this.
    LF: kashi from websaver and 50 cents any cereal printout
    FT: Mann's veg and more! Check out my tradelist/wishlist

Trading Score
    47 (100%)

I like this post. Gives you pause to think. I agree but as with others, I stockpile for the food bank or people in need and for the times I am late getting home and can't make dinner. I don't use all my coupons but the ones I use save us alot.
    Natalka and macw1960 like this.
    Just joined Kiva.org, an organization that funds micro-loans to people in developing countries. I love the idea that the $25 I saved in groceries can be given to a fish woman with 5 children in the Philippines to help grow her business.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Food Banks are already screaming that they need donations. Most of what they can accept is what everyone is putting down. Food is food and if you don't have a highly doubt you are to worry what is it in. It is something to feed your family that would otherwise go without eating tonight. Let's face it as it is the government has so many rules and restrictions against food banks, food banks are working with their backs against a wall. I would look at this way if I did not have the money to feed my family would I feed them whatever food we could get or would I prefer to make them without dinner because what is being offered comes in a box.

I will be going out this weekend to see how much food I can get for the food bank using $50 for my work to donate and I can say that most of what I buy is not something most of us always eat, but it is food and it is what our local food bank will accept.

I am trying to eat healthier and watch what we eat but I know others are not as lucky as we are that to be able to afford these things.

Quote Originally Posted by tccl21 View Post
    Here's another thing I've been pondering. I do a lot of donations and most of it is stuff that I get for free.

So what do I do:

A) Still get whatever I can for free to donate. These people need anything they can get - it doesn't matter if it's not healthy.

B) Be responsible and vote with my money/coupons. Don't buy this junk no matter if it's free or not. Besides, feeding this to the food bank folks isn't doing them any favours anyway. It's not fair to feed them things I would feel comfortable feeding my own family. Send a message to manufacturers that I am not going to purchase their product no matter what.

What is the correct way of thinking?
    Last edited by SassyAshley; Fri, Jan 25th, 2013 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Added info

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pamjcoupon View Post
    don't even get me started on those special k breakfast sandwiches and shakes!! ahhh!!! Eat some eggs, probably cheaper and take 1 min in microwave to make! (I put salsa on mine today and it was delicious.)
    every time I see coupons or commercials for all that Special K stuff drives me crazy cheaper and healthier to make it. It all has hidden additives, sugar, salt and preservative so no one it tastes good.
    macw1960 likes this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

But they are so good, well some of their products. I will not be eating their sandwiches as I only eat hard boiled eggs. But their crisps, bars, cereal, cracker chips and cereals are so good.

Quote Originally Posted by anastasia1009 View Post
    every time I see coupons or commercials for all that Special K stuff drives me crazy cheaper and healthier to make it. It all has hidden additives, sugar, salt and preservative so no one it tastes good.
    macw1960 likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    Awlright, you got me started! (It's just that I thought the egg part would be eggs. Period.)

Ingredients:

SCRAMBLED EGG PATTY (WHOLE EGGS, WHEY, EGG WHITES, NONFAT MILK, SOYBEAN OIL, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, SODIUM BICARBONATE, XANTHAN GUM, GUAR GUM, CITRIC ACID, PEPPER),

MULTIGRAIN FLATBREAD
    (WATER, WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, ENRICHED FLOUR [WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID], YEAST, SUGAR, WHEAT GLUTEN, OAT FIBER, WHEAT BRAN, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF MODIFIED WHEAT STARCH, VINEGAR, SOYBEAN OIL, SALT, CULTURED WHEAT FLOUR, ROLLED WHEAT, CULTURED WHEAT STARCH, RYE NUGGETS, CORN GRITS, ROLLED OATS, MONOGLYCERIDES, RYE FLAKES, SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE, TRITICALE FLAKES, BROWN RICE FLOUR, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM SULFATE, GUAR GUM, BARLEY FLAKES, HULLED MILLET, WHOLE FLAX SEED, ENZYMES, ASCORBIC ACID, CALCIUM PROPIONATE [PRESERVATIVE]),

SAUSAGE PATTY
    (PORK, MECHANICALLY SEPARATED TURKEY, WATER, SALT, SPICES, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, DEXTROSE, SPICE EXTRACTIVES),

PASTEURIZED PROCESS WHITE CHEDDAR CHEESE PRODUCT
    (CHEESE [PASTEURIZED MILK, CHEESE CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES], WATER, CREAM, SKIM MILK, SODIUM PHOSPHATES, CASEIN, NATURAL CHEDDAR CHEESE FLAVOR [CHEDDAR CHEESE (PASTEURIZED MILK, SALT, CHEESE CULTURE, ENZYME), WATER, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, BUTTER OIL, XANTHAN GUM], SALT).
    macw1960, nessa23 and natynat like this.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Quote from another post.

Eat some eggs, probably cheaper and take 1 min in microwave to make! (I put salsa on mine today and it was delicious.)

Next time you make a cheese omelet throw in some salsa too.
    Last edited by macw1960; Fri, Jan 25th, 2013 at 08:23 PM.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

hmm maybe the companies are trying to preserve us for future experiments. haha
    Mia001, Natalka, Angela273 and 4 others like this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

Great discussing and good points to think about.
    I can't say that couponing has changed the way I eat.
    I tend to get coupons for the kind of food items I normally purchase anyway.
    I stay away from snacks and prepared foods.
    There is one reason that couponing is making me less healthy though, I'm on the computer a lot finding the deals but hopefully I'm counter-balancing that by walking to the store and dragging my huge stash back home!
    Mia001, Angela273, Lynn49 and 8 others like this.
    The best things in life...aren't things

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information