User Tag List

Page 20 of 82 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 70 ... LastLast
Like Tree6510Likes

Thread: October Frugal Chatter - Harvest the Savings

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Well what a day, I had plans to do the red cabbage again today but I had to run some errands this am and low and behold my parents call moments before I am leaving the house only to say they are heading over, they live 2 hours away so I figured I would have tons of time to do what I wanted but they beat me home, oh well.

I got my haircut so happy with how it turned out, cut off 8 inches, feels like I dropped 5 pounds (a girl can dream). Did highlights and home this evening.

Went to Home Depot this am to get a copy of my sales order for my range I purchased 2 years ago since the Warranty Co. asked for it. Home Depot was so great they even faxed it out, so I didn't have to pay to send a fax, yippee, every nickle counts, I miss the penny.

While at Home Depot I checked out the ranges/stoves they have on display and really looked them over, wrote specs. / pros & cons for each i.e. glass top, hidden element, etc and of course the price. I got a call last night from MAYTAG executive offices saying that the Warranty Co. asked Maytag what it would cost them to get me a brand new range/stove. Maytag told me that if the Warranty people give them $279.00 I will receive a brand new range my choice up to $1100.00 which is the value of what I paid for the stupid thing. Then 5 minutes later the Warranty people told me that Maytag responded to their inquiry and that my file is now gone to the executive office of the warranty people and I should get a reply with 48 business hours. Now to ignore the stupid repair people if they call with the proper part before I get and answer from the exec. office to get a new stove or not. Apparently my extended warranty has a lemon free warranty. So please if you are getting an extended warranty ask these questions - 1. Is the warranty transferrable if you decide to sell the product and 2. Do they have this lemon free option.

On another note the boys and I went into the city with my parents....never again...My dad drives the car like it's a friggin' tractor (the constant left to right steering) you know what I'm talking about. And a whole bunch of other crap which I won't bore you with.

Enjoy your night
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Had a productive day, emptied all my kitchen cupboards and rearranged and everything is wiped down inside and out, back splashes are all cleaned , grout etc.Made 20 cups of crab apple juice to make jalapeno jelly and regular jelly. I have to work tomorrow as a favor for my sil so to bed early!! Plans for this week are washing walls and clean the carpets, make pastry for pies and another dessert to put in the freezer for Thanksgiving.

Trading Score
    450 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    People are stacking these with the Lithium coupon but they are good on any AA/, etc. people have been using them on Energizer batteries and not necessarily Lithium ones. I have some of them as well but people from out west want these to stack with the Lithium ones. The pictures is of the new product but you don't have to purchase the new product/pictured product.
    Thank you.
    That's what I wondered about. I guess I was just anticipating getting refused by cashiers because of the image on the coupon and being concerned because the wording didn't specifically say "Any".
    Trade List /Wishlist: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/382792-dreamcatcher1962s-trade-wish-lists-canada/#post5928904

Trading Score
    408 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyetea View Post
    Well, add me to the list of people who had an appliance break down: my washing machine. That was last Saturday, make the call to have it repaired and no one could come until Wednesday, and they wouldn't to a time until they'd call back on Tuesday night. Tuesday night, hadn't heard anything, so I called to find out. Oh, it was never scheduled for Wednesday, but Thursday, and the same thing, again, no time commitment until Wednesday night. Suffice to say, I was not happy, but since hubby is retired and at home every, I should'nt be compaling too much. Anyway, it turned out to be a fairly small repair that still cost $200, but it's better than buying a new one. The repairman was telling my husband that we should try and keep our top-loading machine for as long as we can because the front-loading machines aren't all that great and are more expensive to repair. My husband asked him if there were any front-loading machine that he'd recommend, and he answered "none of them, even Kenmore", and he's a Sears repairman.
    Realistically, appliances don't last as long as they used to. My parenta had a washer for about 29 years. When they moved, they got a new one for the house. They've had 2 new ones jn about 13 years now. Dishawashers seem to be the bane of their existence too. My mom has the worst luck. She got a top of the line Samsung that died 2 wks after the manuafacturer's wareanty expired.

I dunno. Insurance/warranties etc are tricky. I got the 3 year on my laptop because I inevitably have problems in that time. I also opted to pay $7/month for my cell phone for the telus protection plan and om incredibly happy because last night I was walking upstairs and it fell out of my pocket. Fell from my hip to the carpeted stair to the hard floor (I was obly on the first step). Of course the screen is now smashed. Dh and I discussed. I could keep it like this, because it still works, but it is causing me anger at myself every time I look at it. Plus, I guess that's what I pay monthly for. I think I have to pay $150 or something to get a new phone, but it's better than the value of a new one. Its really my own fauly though. I got a case wheb I bought he phone. The case was screwed up where the holes are for the plug etc and then I bought an otter box (defender because the lady said that it would provide the most protection). Well the defender sucks (design flaw) but the manufacturer wknt warranty it bexause I bought it from the retailer, and the retailer won't do anything. I went back to telus thursday to get a new case and they told me to bring in the first original case and the receipt and they'd replace it for me. Me being "frugal", was going to go in today to get the replacement. Annnd of course last night I smashed my phone. Go figure. I'm mad at myself cause I don't want to spend the money, but it's definitely a first world problem.

Bah!

Trading Score
    408 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    Sorry everyone, I am not MIA, just on the other side of your computer screen. LO has not been that well in the past few days (with her first shots) and laundry, medical appointments, and catching up with necessary tasks have been sucking up my time. But, I have been reading and cheering on your successes and commiserating the losses. I will try not to be too much of a stranger this month.

Luv, I'm very sorry to hear of your loss and I'm glad that you went with the larger washing machine. Cath007, I'm glad to hear that you're taking care of yourself. Try not to let your environment stress you out, but I know it's hard not to. You have a lot to deal with family and your city laws. Cute cats though! My first was a Persian mix and she was gorgeous!

I got none of my September goals finished so they should all roll into October. I used to set one goal a day and now with the little one, it's one goal per month! This month, I will try to get my thank you cards done, written and sent. When that's done, I will post another goal. Baby steps, just like my little one.

Now to start the rice cooker, hand wash some maternity clothes to be returned, and feed LO!
    I'm guessing this is your first? Congrats! I learned at the beginning that I had to lower my expectations of myself. I was so hard on myself wih "why am I sucking?" feelings etc. Then I went to the lactation clinic, and they recommeded a baby moon for bonding/help feeding (we had issues and alexa was force fed formula in he NICU for her first few days, and then obviously had problems switching to the boob).

My baby moon consisted if me sitting in bed with a nudie baby (well diapered!), me in pj pants and a nursing bra (the goal was skin to skin contact), watching lame movies and on demand tv. I realized that it really didn't matter if I didn't brush my teeth and wash my face til noon. All I needed was my little bunny and cuddles. There were major worries about me having post partum (I have OCD and am prone to depression) but I think that week helped so much. I just camped out wih my baby, and had everything we needed within a few feet from the bed.

Man I'm feeling nostalgic, lol. Her first birthday is creeping up on me and the neighbour had her baby yesterday (at home! ) and yah...they grow so quickly!

Basically, what I'm saying is enjoy your baby and don't worry about he rest. Thank you notes are a good goal, but dont be too worried about it. Just enjoy and screw the rest (although throwing in a shower once in a while is a nice touch! Haha)

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Good Sunday morning!
    I'm on my last 12 hr shift at work-nice cause the weather was not so great anyways.
    Beginning to compile my To-do list for this week already-includes fighting a ticket and both Dr and dentist ugh!!!!
    I skipped the sdm 20x promo yesterday (when I work I will go on my lunch) because of the vet bill I am back at square one. I've been eating take out this weekend too-double bad! No more spending the rest of the week other than fresh produce.
    Here's a photo of poor Gary after his vet appt

Trading Score
    408 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    don't forget Jas, that sometimes SDM offers their buy $150 in GC's and you get so many points too. im looking at doing it this year. if funds are in place. great for iTunes and restaurants.
    I didn't know you could get points by purchasing gc's a SDM. I don't shop at SDM very often only super duper bargains but I will pay attention to this promotion or whatever it is called. Do they advertise this in their flyer?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    I believe so, last year it was in November I believe.
    Yup - it's been in November the last couple of years. They put it in the flyer but not that large and they don't usually have signs up in the store/gift card racks. I've actually beem the one to tell the staff about it both years! Lol. Last yr was 8000 bp wub $150 on at least 2 gc. If you bought sdm cards you'd get the base 1500 points as well. You have to do different transactions for each $150 thiugh and different stores have different selection. You also can buy them with credit cards, but usually at $300 they ask you for ID or something ti make sure the cc isnt stollen.

Trading Score
    408 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    I'm the same way. We grew up with huge christmases. Which is kinda weird considering how broke my parents always were. We tried to do no presents for hubby and I last year, but I broke...I saw something I knew he'd love and I bought it. Then I had to tell him cause I knew he'd be pi$$ed if he opened something up on Chrstmas day and he hadn't bought anything for me. Eventhough I know it makes financial sense, I know I'd be disappointed without presents.

The problem I have is some of the kids still think of quantity rather than quality and others get that fewer more expensive presents is the same as lots of cheaper presents. And if I spent the same amount on each kid, some kids would get fewer presents then others and then they'd compare amongst themselves. Seriously, this whole Santa Clause thing is way more complicated than I would have thought. Or, the more likely scenario is I am WAY over thinking things.
    I have a set amount for each person I buy for including the kids and same boat here about 1 w/ santa and 1 will play along, but I also budget the same amount for each child from Santa as well.

It's really hard, I've been picking up the odd stocking stuffer but I normally used my WM gc rewards for the Santa gift as it's normally a shared gift now that the boys are older and have common interest. Last year it was an xbox 360 and I got an extra controller. This year I think I will buy them a tv, LCD or whatever they are called that can be mounted on the wall for their gaming and plus dh likes to go downstairs in the winter and watch movies when the woodstove is going so it's a little hidden perk for all really.

But I plan to start to purchase the odd gc for gifts each week, say $25.00 or so, this way I will have the cash/gc to purchase a present or just give someone a gc as a gift.
    Yah, the "family gift" (like a tv for the boys) is always a winner cause you end up having something more for the family by purchasing one larger item than if you were to get a bunch of smaller things.

I'm struggling with what to do for Alexa. What does a 1 yr old really need? I had a vendor table at a mom to mon show yesterday for my Epicure. I walked around before the doors opened and git her a pair of robeeze and a pair of pink converse for $4 each, a xylaphone and a guirare for $5 combined, and a pair of fairy wings and tutu for $10 for her smash the cake photo shoot. My mom was with me and had no idea what the sale was all about. She was giving me crap for spending money, and then started to realize I'd just bought her bday gift for $5. Then my mom started shopping....it went downhill drom there lol

I caved and gave the toys to Alexa when I gor home cause my dh wanted to see (we're kinda a musical fam). She fell asleep hugging the xylophone lol. I figure though, she doesn't know about bdays or xmas yet! It's so weird.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

So happy with my shopping yesterday. I found 6 cases of the ginger ale with 3.00 pizza coupon 3 at Fortino's for 2.99 and 3 at SDM for 2.88 and a case of Swcheppes at 2.88. I had the 2.00 coupon so 88 cents for 12 cans of pop. I took the coupon off and went back and bought another case. When I did my shop the SDM cashier reminded me I was not at 50. I don't have the heart to tell them the coupons count. So I just said thanks but I have enough points. And it still got the points. I have to say though I was pleased to see new cashiers in my store. Far more coupon friendly and easy going. One person had missed the points by about 5.00 and when she asked to redo the order I was amazed at how nice the staff was and easy going with it. Usually the look at you like you just asked for a kidney. I am going to call and share the feedback. Now to spend the day sorting coupns
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saundyl View Post
    Ok im puzzling over this one. Our power bill is due for the 9th of October and we received a notice today dated the 30th that the full amount was over due and now due immediately. I double checked our bill but it does say October 9th. That being said i had paid 80% of the bill on Wednesday. I just dont understand how the bill can be overdue 9 days earlier than the due date! I would have understood if they had listed 80 dollars due immediately as that WAS late but the rest was not.

I'm also curious....do any of you ever splurge and buy a lotto ticket or a scratch & win? I do once in a while I know the odds of winning are very low but i always make sure to purchase from a retailer locally that puts part of the funds made towards local sports for kids.
    I'm part of a lottery pool at work, $5 a month and we have tickets for every weekend. I would hate to be the only one that didn't participate if they did win lol

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Good morning everyone! Fed the kids eggs and bacon. Cleaned the kitchen. Turkey in the oven. veggies cut up and ready to cook. Laundry going. Enjoying my coffee while catching up and then jumping in the shower and off to hockey with DS (they won yesterday 8-4 It was worth the drive to Gravenhurst

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Well yesterday I had a little go round with Rexall. They had advertised foil, plastic wrap and wax paper for 99 cents each with a limit of 3 which I presumed to be 3 of each. Anyway I bought 7 rolls total and when I got home I noticed that only the first 3 rang in at .99, the rest were 1.29-which I realize is still not bad but it was the principle that usually you would be allowed 3 of each item I thought. So I was back there later and asked the cashier about it and about SCOP-she said they don't SCOP and also that you only get 3@ .99. So yesterday I called the manager and she agreed with my interpretation even though the computer was set up to only allow 3-she had me bring in the receipt and credited 4 back to me and then mistakenly only re-charged me for 3( karma) and then gave me an extra one for free for my trouble. So in the end I got 5 @.99 and 2 for free but quite the hassle. She said the cashiers are trained to ring them in as separate orders when there are limits but apparently mine didn't-plus if you were trying to use some of the till coupons they give out such as spend 25.00 and save 5.00 not sure how you would get up to 25.00 but anyway I didn't ask the manager that. I must say she was nice to me. I generally try to watch the till and check my receipt before I leave but obviously I forgot this time-lesson re-learned rather than having to go back to a store to correct an error.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

morning everyone and it is a great one for sure got woke up by son at 6.30 -my daughter-in-law 's water broke and she was having a few contractions-well its 10.30 now and they have stopped -she is a stubborn little girl-so just taking it easy son said if nothing more happens midwife wants to see them at 5.00 p.m at her office and we will go from there- I am excited and tired -cause I was up late last night with a throbbing knee(an ice pack helped)

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Oh will post the coupons I found yesterday later. DS has to be at the rink an hour before game so I have time to walk around. The Independent was right there so Grandma and I walked over

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Inquiring mind: Did you ever have froze like snow thing in your fridge freeze(father said that is because I put overload of too much stuff but not so agree on that) part and things dont frooze well???...I had that since 1 week and I see the end of my fridge coming,not the time for me that happen.no time and no budget for that,what a nightmare of bad timing...bad things come in lot's
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Page 20 of 82 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 70 ... LastLast

Thread Information