User Tag List

Page 52 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 ... LastLast
Like Tree8085Likes

Thread: Just chilling in January (2015 frugal chatter)

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-granger so sorry about the student
    -nancy look what you did pay down your line of credit -awesome hon

well went to visit my coupon friend anna around the corner she gave me quite a few coupons
    -well just rubbed my aching back -wish I had a self cleaning oven
    -well daughter just called they are going to ireland in april for easter -so happy for them

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Granger So sorry about your student. It`s especially sad when someone so young dies.
    Andit, avoncallingu, Ciel and 4 others like this.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

I just came back from my hairdresser. I always have the same hairdresser and usually she does a fabulous job. But today she cut the hair by the ear too short on the one side and so had to do it on the other side too to even it out. She had such a headache poor lady...oh well, my hair will grow in soon and I didn't want to complain. She told me she wasn't going to charge me but I gave her a tip - she is a single mom.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

momof5boys sorry about your haircut but thankfully it grow back, great attitude
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Easter in Ireland, wow your daughter is a world traveller coupon girl, great that they are doing this before they have young ones.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

granger sorry to hear about the student, how sad but I like the tree idea, at my son's school when his 12 year old friend passed out they placed a bench outside with a plague so that his friends could go hang out on the bench, they also started a award that goes to 1 student each year that shares the same quality traits as the young man, hard to believe he has been gone 2 years already, I can't imagine the poor parents
    Last edited by jasperandchar; Thu, Jan 22nd, 2015 at 09:21 PM.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Thanks for the ideas. A few of them I have thought of too. I like the bench, we have a courtyard. Principal will take lead, but it is nice to have a starting point. Given her age, I was also thinking a memory locker, one students could put letters, mementos in to help them in their grieving. It could be emptied her graduating year and contents possibly given to parents.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

The bench is a great idea.

Our son just left, full he said, with lots of containers of leftovers and other food.
    Gosh, I miss having him live with us!

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Hello folks! @sweet sparrow -Child care is such a worry and so IMMEDIATE! @Granger - I love your idea of having a "memory locker." Was she artistic?, an athlete?, into the environment?, a social butterfly?
    Perhaps a picture donated in her name, an athletic honour named for her, a book donated to the library with her name in it. A tree, I really like, too!
    @J&C I am SO impressed that you paid off your LOC in such a trying time. Sorry to hear about your hubby! Could he start some kind of business - online, perhaps - or a hunting blog? @momof5boys - I get my hair cut and "tinted" at a hairdressing school. We have to sign a waver when we go in that says we know some mistakes might be made. I usually get a great cut and "colour" but - as you say - hair grows!

Well, I'm bursting to say that my dh is going to be a GRANDPA! And it's a GIRL! We just found out today! Yippee! Break out those knitting needles - I actually can find them now in the basement!

We bought a new bed from Sears when we moved in May. DH has been having back problems and complains that it's not comfortable. It has, indeed, a big dip where he sleeps and a smaller one where I sleep. Sears has a 365 "sleep" guarantee so the "Bed Dr." guy came today to measure the dips. It was funny! It was like an old chalk line that we used to use to make straight lines when hanging wallpaper. Then he had to measure the dips and take pictures. It did indeed fit within the 1 1/4" to 2" depression in several places so he was anticipating that it will be replaced. We've already picked out a "Euro-top" instead of a "Pillow-top" this time although our old queen sized bed is a pillow-top and it was/is still very comfy - just not wide enough any more.

I went to SDM for Senior's day and got pain meds (for the back pain) and Vitamin C - priced at full price so that meant 20% off and then I used the $2.00 off any Jamieson Vitamins to further reduce the price. I also found some very cheap but nice chocolate that I will use for Valentine's and Easter gifts. So I pre-bought an SC card and got the optimum points and then used it to purchase the things in my cart. The young cashier was very impressed with the double points and use of "senior's discount" plus coupon.

We had a good choir practice today - we found out on Sunday that we are losing our WONDERFUL minister to another church closer to his and his wife's family. SADNESS - but good for him.

Well, you have other people's news to read. Good night my friends!
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Oh my! I didnt visit this page for 1,2 days, i think, and you chatty ladies have filled 3 pages with....stuff...... lol

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

avon, I've never heard of a bed guarantee like that!

Good morning, everyone!

Will be a quiet Friday here. I think the most exciting thing I'll do is make out the master shopping list for the week..

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Good morning, everyone.

My friend and I are off to a meeting with our local politician. Remember the taxi issue I mentioned before Xmas? We're off to do a demo to paint a better picture of why their decision needs to be rethought. Wish us luck!

When I get back home, I'll be off to my Mom's for the weekend (brats are staying with her, I'm off to the party). I haven't told them yet, let them have a happy surprise. Besides, the neighbours don't need to hear the endless whining of 'when are we going?'.

Should be back by Monday.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Oh avon congratulations on your news! It certainly has cheered up my day. The one thing about life is that it is a circle. When the sadness of loss is present, you know the joy of new is near too!

The student was a social butterfly. Did not like reading, math, outdoors, phys. ed. She was known for a chatty personality. I was very close to her as she was in my homeroom last year and I was her teacher for just about everything. We had a connection and she would frequently pop by after school this year too just to chat. It is funny, I maintain a lot of professional boundaries with my students: no hugs except at Christmas and on the last day, I need my quiet time before school so please don't pop in early and wait for the bell - give me my quiet time to prep and focus so I can be there for you during the day, etc. I bent every one of my rules for this student. Not because I play favourites, but because her needs and mine had a synergy.

Sometimes she needed quiet in the mornings. She let me go on about my routines, she would just sit in the quiet and be present. She was a student that didn't always understand words when she was a upset so a hug was a lot more simple. I am so glad I bent my rules...

She did art therapy and loved it. An art piece for the library is another good idea given her interests.

Thanks for listening. It's a special loss for me that not many outside of few teachers with whom I work with will understand and sharing with you helps. I am also an introvert so I don't necessarily want to talk, but the quiet reflection time is good.
    Last edited by Granger; Fri, Jan 23rd, 2015 at 08:35 AM.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    Andit, I am holding my breath.

When I get the seven month itch (it's seven months if I don't actually get anything) I dig out some saved jewelery catalogues from Tiffany's and browse through - and then I lose the desire to actually make a purchase for another seven months or so - like I've been to a buffet.

A member of our family is a photographer for a living and I get him an extra copy so he can study examples of lighting and metals. It's more frugal and more useful than buying a textbook.
    Please don't hold your breath - I forgot to charge the camera battery & it's going to take a bit longer than planned (yes, I'm an idiot). I'll try to post them in between meetings today with my friend's tablet (bring the pieces with me to take photos, maybe bribe a politician or 2 ). They'll be posted no later than Monday, I promise.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Granger View Post
    I found out one of my students from last year died suddenly today. Infectious disease in a student that already had some medical issues. The news is very fresh, so this is probably the only online place outside of an email I can say anything. I have emailed a few former colleagues. The student would have been 13 this year. I am not sure what will be done on a school level, but I will be a part of the planning committee for commemoration. If you have any ideas let me know. Sometimes we are not our most creative when we are hurting.

I will probably be popping in a few times this weekend with reports being due next week and this sad news. SC is a great place to zone out. Love you all.
    I'm so very sorry for your loss.

A classmate of mine died in a freak accident the summer between Gr 8 & 9 (we were off to different High Schools so had more or less parted ways already). Our one teacher took it very hard, was almost obsessed (for lack of a better word) for years by her memory. Please make sure you get proper counseling in place for everyone. He was fine at first, it hit him much harder later.

My classmate had been a star athlete. That same teacher set up an annual award for the student with outstanding athletic achievement - a plaque with names added each year and an honorarium as an award. I'm pretty sure he funded most of it out of his own pocket, but other teachers also contributed (set up so that there would be money for 20+ yrs). As others have said, maybe an honorarium or award to a student who pursues the same interest as your student did.

Again, I am so very sorry.

Page 52 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 ... LastLast

Thread Information