User Tag List

Page 62 of 71 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast
Like Tree8085Likes

Thread: Just chilling in January (2015 frugal chatter)

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Im considering making the blankets like the one i posted that i made before Christmas and selling them at the fall craft fair. But i almost died when i heard how much one lady up here was charging for them. 300 dollars for a full size knitted bernat baby blanket yarn blanket. The yarn for that size has only cost me about 50 dollars.i understand the time it takes needs to be taken into consideration. Personally i ask the cost of my wool and a small markup depending on what it is (dish cloths are the cost of the yarn) but im only looking to fund buying more wool to continue my hobby not to make a living off the projects.

I spent a couple hours last night checking Amazon kobo and bookbub for free and very cheap deals on ebooks.
    Andit, ROMEO, Crochetlady and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    NATALKA
    Happy birthday from me too!
    Andit, Natalka, ROMEO and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

How about Frugal February 2 since it is the second Feb. we've been together.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I just updated my paper backup copy of my teaching bookings. I have 15 days in January. I already have 6 days booked in February and 9 days booked in March. There are also a few other days later in the school year.

I received a phone call this evening with an interesting invitation to be one of the teachers at the Art Action Camp during February school break. I am going to get some more details tomorrow, but I think I will accept. It will be 3 days (Feb 17-19), 15 children in my group between 6-12yrs old. They pay $35/hr. I'll have to call and move my 13wk ultrasound to Feb 20th. It would be good money during 3 days that I would otherwise not be teaching. The children would do crafts with me from 9-noon, then have a healthy lunch that is provided (I get fed for free), and go swimming for the afternoon. I haven't done something like this before, but it wouldn't hurt and I could add it to my resume.

Dh was quick to say yes to me working these 3 extra days. He later voiced concerns again about LO's lack of potty training progress. I will have to be organized and make sure that I focus on that with LO the days before and after the Art Action Camp. I was planning on spending time at home with LO concentrating on potty training. My brother had suggested putting him on the potty every 15min throughout the entire day for a few days. He said that it really helped when their son was young. I am home this weekend, so should probably try this approach again this weekend. Dh will be gone to Regina all day on Saturday for training.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

While I was checking my Twitter account, I saw that Cdn. Living's March issue is guest-edited by Gail Oxlade. I am aware some SCers are doing her money challenge. The issue is on stands Feb. 9.
    Andit, ROMEO, Crochetlady and 4 others like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Thanks so much for the birthday wishes!

Had a wonderful evening. Milan came over, even though he had to work overtime and wow he was tired out... We had a yummy supper which my husband had picked up, then found room for an awesome German chocolate cake (my fave!). Of course, best of all was just talking and laughing together!

So I'm full and happy, lol!
    Andit, ROMEO, Crochetlady and 6 others like this.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Angela, you're really getting well known and obviously doing a great job! What would you say is your favourite grade level, at this point?

Natalka, so glad you had a great birthday!

Saundyl- crafters rarely make a decent profit, for sure- so it helps if you love what you are doing!

We have just heard of a family pregnancy and I hadn't knitted anything since- well, actually, I knitted an Afghan for the parents for a wedding present. So, thanks, you've just given me an idea of what it will cost.

Crochet Lady- you made an interesting point about crocheting being easier on your hands. I may find that I'll have to take up crocheting. My hands already get very sore especially my thumbs.

Our minister and his family are moving (Boo Hoo) so I offered him the 13 packing boxes that have been piling up in our basement and the left-over packing paper. Win-win! DH will be ecstatic that they're leaving.

Have a good night, folks!
    saundyl, Andit, Natalka and 7 others like this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Years ago I was told that you should charge double what your materials cost. That is just a suggestion as some crafts are very labour intensive. I did a counted cross stitch Christmas stocking. It took 100 hours and cost almost $30. The lady who ordered it was not impressed when I charged $50
    saundyl, Andit, Natalka and 7 others like this.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

a fun little necklace i made for valentines day. and yes its very difficult getting people to understand the work that goes into our projects. if we really were paid for our efforts. we'd all be rich. well close. lol
    Name:  ncklc 001.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  61.3 KB
    Andit, Natalka, ROMEO and 7 others like this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

^ that is so cool!

Very true with some crafting, you just don't get the 'true' value of what you put into any items made. Especially with needlecraft items, since so many hours and hours go into doing them - let alone things which need framing. Over the years, I had sold some items, but mostly put the effort into making gifts for family/friends. I also have a huge bundle of things which are completed, but not finished - oh, 'someday'....

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Andit, ROMEO, Crochetlady and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Good morning, everyone.

Nice & bright & sunny here (for a change!).

Friends are coming over this afternoon. I was told we're going on a field trip, so I should make sure the camera batteries are charged. Should be fun...as long as I don't mess up the focus. I should be fine...assuming the raspberry beers are consumed after the field trip & not before.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Hi everyone! It's not that I'm having a late start to my day, it's that it's my second start!
    I got up at 1:30 after a terrible nightmare, then went back for a sleep before lunch.

My side owie is better for sure, but def not gone. Coughing is the absolute hardest thing to bear - and stifling a cough is no better! It's amazing how many other muscles you use in your body when something is hurt - to compensate.
    I hate nightmares. It's always the silly ones that freak me out the most. I still remember a horrible one from when I was about 8 - it had to do with a swarm of bees that entered the classroom where I was writing a test through an open window; every time I swatted at one, it turned into 2 more. Even after all these years, I get shivers when I think about it.

When I had the transplant, I was cut open from about an inch above my belly button to, ahem, straight south as far as one can go. Bending was painful, coughing was even worse. The trick I was taught was to press a pillow against the owie if I had to cough. It does help.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Good Morning! I have a $5 pick up today and a $10 one this evening

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Wow dealing with just one kid in the morning is so much easier! So cold here today wish I could crawl back in bed. I can't wait till Spring

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Crochetlady View Post
    Years ago I was told that you should charge double what your materials cost. That is just a suggestion as some crafts are very labour intensive. I did a counted cross stitch Christmas stocking. It took 100 hours and cost almost $30. The lady who ordered it was not impressed when I charged $50
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    yes its very difficult getting people to understand the work that goes into our projects. if we really were paid for our efforts. we'd all be rich. well close. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Very true with some crafting, you just don't get the 'true' value of what you put into any items made. Especially with needlecraft items, since so many hours and hours go into doing them - let alone things which need framing.
    It does seem like those who aren't into crafting have no concept of an item's value and only want a bargain. I was offered $10 for a cha cha bracelet with hundreds of tiny glass beads; when I told them that the material costs alone were over $15, they said they saw something like that at a flea market for $5, so I should be happy they're willing to give me $10. And, no, I didn't sell it.

Wondering if we could set up a barter system amongst SCers. I would be happy to send off a piece of jewelry to someone in exchange for coupons/fpc/gc/stamps/whatever, as long as the material costs are covered and the recipient gives me feedback on whether they like the piece. Even willing to do custom work. Sort of like an SCer discount.

What do you think?

Page 62 of 71 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast

Thread Information