User Tag List

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree1063Likes

Thread: August 2018 Frugal Chatter thread (summer fun and finds)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Last night DD and I flew back from visiting our friends near NYC. Today is laundry and packing the car day as we plan to head out to Vancouver tomorrow and spend a couple nights before moving her into her new apt on Saturday. We will stay in my nieces apartment as she is away on her honeymoon. Busy back to school time-at least I don't need to go grocery shopng as we won't be back until Sunday.
    Last edited by lizzie bargain; Wed, Aug 29th, 2018 at 09:36 AM.
    Natalka, ROMEO, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

popped out to return to indigo one item -but then turned around and bought a few specials in store a candle 2.50 ,board book 2.00 mellissa and doug sticker book 5.50 on for 2.75 for Ashlyn for xmas ,mellissa and doug double set of washable paints 5.50 for Sebastian for xmas spent 14.24

then popped into bed bath and beyond found a bath mat on clearance -all beige colour 29.99 on for 22.99-20% =18.39 glad I waited as the bay had them on sale last week and the cheapest was 28.99

got hubby a starbucks coffee as he had a gift card from a school child ,then home to hot jumping in and out of car -lol
    Natalka, Ciel and lilo0003 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Delighted at the strong cool wind today-where was it last night when I was dripping with sweat in a hot house with a fan that stopped working after an hour? Yes, I'm looking for a cheap oscillating fan under $25 today.

Did Mom's errand and mine-picked up some produce and a cake so we have food for a couple of days. I've been eyeing that LaRocca Pink Lemonade cake in the Fortinos flyer for weeks in the summer and today was buy that cake day. Folks had an anniversary but did not do anything special yesterday so the cake was my way of saying its an occasion.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Happy dance time-I made my first online Visa Debit purchase for shoes and the order went through!
    I am looking forward to foot comfort very soon for walking and mowing and all other tasks requiring carrying power while I walk.

My few weeks of walking and living in slides has me marvelling at all the women who routinely wear slides for walking on sidewalks and climbing stairs--how you do deal with the pain later? My bones are in pain a lot from the waist down especially after pushing a mower around for an hour or so. Even if my slides were to be the right size, I expect I'd still be dealing with pain issues (my slides are two sizes smaller than what I wear).

Last night Mom asked me what I spent my August funds on and I looked over my purchases (found out $42 of purchases did not get recorded) and noticed I spent almost $31 on pop (cases or single bottles) and about $144 on clothing (replacement new underwear items at the Bay, plus secondhand tops on sale at Value Village, glasses storage case and lanyard for glasses from Dollarama), so I went a little overboard. Plus my stationery costs were higher than $10 due to pen stock up, cards (bought several) and some postage. I have two cards to mail out this week so they get out to recipients next week. Household needs and food took up most of the remaining money plus I had a little bit of takeout purchases. What surprised me is that I have not yet gone past $10 in found cash and refund/deposit money, as finds this month have been harder to find.

So I decided to impose a little more austerity to my shopping: no more pop buys (cry but necessary-have to think of future impact on my bone health!), no more magazine purchases, and to put a hold on impulse candy buys (another weakness). Focus on protein and produce food purchases. Try to get household needs only when just about out of items or if items go on sale (there's a limit to stocking up due to space and funds). Still have to find a deal on pants. Long Tall Sally has a 25% off code good until Thursday but I have not found pants I like yet there. Must check out my local Reitmans sales rack again or commit to a tall pair at full retail (should see if pants are on sale this week).
    ROMEO, coupon girl and lilo0003 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

lilo0003 likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

If anyone needs solid colour foldover clipboards, Staples is showing them for $5 in five different colours. I have noticed it is hard to find this item outside of back to school time at other stores.
    If you were to buy this clipboard at a post-secondary campus store, a school logo is usually on the cover. Plain clipboards are hard to find.
    lilo0003 likes this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

@Ciel have you checked to see if your local library has online magazines as an option. Oakville PL uses RB digital and I can get lots of reading options through them. They don't have Real Simple, which is my absolute fave so I will occasionally go to the library and read the copy there. I stopped buying it because I decided every splurge moved me further away from my targeted retirement date ( I still have 7 years left).
    ROMEO, Ciel, coupon girl and 1 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

@lizzyb argain that’s neat rapid transit hub of the lower mainland. Is she going to UBC? It’s so exciting my cousin is going to Vancouver Community College at the downtown Campus for Physical/Occupational Therapist Assistant 2 year Associates Degree. Good luck to her!

Today i spent 20$ buying a present for someone on two items they gave me a discount I didn’t have to pay the tax. Lol . I also bought a bag of chips for 1.75$ from the corner store realized now I have chips lol.

I burnt some cheese in my oven i guess and the whole apartment smelled like it so lit a candle from Micheals it’s the one from winter selection Icing Sugar that I probably bought for $5 when it was on sale last winter. I have one from the summer collection called Watermelon Seltzer. I gave one away long time ago and they said it got stolen from their place so they tried to walk off the icing sugar one while it was burning. I told them to put it back and to get out of my apartment their company wasn’t welcome in my presence any longer.

I received three envelopes from Chapman’s: 2 lunch bags, an activity book, & 2x blue knight stickers. I am still waiting on a set of stickers, a beach ball, a lanyard, another activity book, and 2x lunch bags.

I was given $1.20 in empties not that I needed them I will happily take them.

A friend of mine says she had a present for me and will come out here from East Van on Sunday or Monday. Then gave a poster it’s cool it says “I grew up....in a small town.” I hung up to my wall above my entrance light right next to the door to my apartment and bathroom door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by greentires4me; Wed, Aug 29th, 2018 at 08:04 PM.
    Natalka, Ciel and coupon girl like this.
    Live, Love, Laugh

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I had a family with 3 children scheduled for the entire week. I received a message this morning that the girl had a rash and the kids were staying home. End of the day I received another message telling me that this same child is sick and they won’t be coming back this week. I got paid for the two days, but not the other scheduled dates because they were only drop-ins. The up side is that it frees me up for the last few days of summer break with our children.

I gave our son three options this morning and he picked the public library. We ended up running into one of his friends that he wants to invite to his birthday party. They were able to hang out and play together for an hour or so.

I sold more dill from my garden for $2 today.
    Last edited by Angela273; Wed, Aug 29th, 2018 at 11:50 PM.
    Ciel and coupon girl like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    @Ciel have you checked to see if your local library has online magazines as an option. Oakville PL uses RB digital and I can get lots of reading options through them. They don't have Real Simple, which is my absolute fave so I will occasionally go to the library and read the copy there. I stopped buying it because I decided every splurge moved me further away from my targeted retirement date ( I still have 7 years left).
    Yes, HPL has online magazines but I really dislike reading them online. I will have to if I wish to read Marie Claire. Because the French version tends to have some models in scanty apparel in their ads, I either have to quick flip the pages or try to pick a computer not likely to have a minor pass by as I read at a slow pace.

I was speed flipping through BPL's Sew News print issues as HPL only carries the title on its Bookmobiles but not in branches. Not sure I can count on a return trip to Burlington in Sept so I decided not to borrow the magazines.
    Last edited by Ciel; Thu, Aug 30th, 2018 at 05:30 PM.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Enjoying an extended visit to Burlington's shops and libraries! Ikea was on my list for checking out the tv benches in the new catalogue. Found the taller of two benches in one brand on display but not the shorter one. Made sure to scan my Ikea Family card for the monthly draw (machine is outside of the restaurant area, and opposite the elevator in Burlington's location). Popped downstairs to Marketplace and decided I wanted the 3pk of cork trivets ($4.99). Receipt survey will enter me into a $500 gc draw-talk about incentive now that I know a tv bench and a bookcase and maybe a dining table are on my buy list...! Found the Green Beaver toothpaste at the Plains Rd Fortinos. Stopped into Treasure Hunt but did not see anything I needed. Picked up the frequent buyer card too. Perused Value Village and Emile Factory Shoe stores before a visit to Burlington Centre to check out Winners, Homesense, Indigo and Denningers. Lots I want. Did not buy. Did get a stamp at the post office for something I need to mail tomorrow.

Found copies of the August On the Go magazine. Picked up the BPL fall catalogue for its programs.

In Hamilton, I picked up the new bus schedules for fall-for myself, mom, friend of Mom's and certain ones for an aunt (posted to the mail!).

My shoe order has not shipped yet but it was ready for shipping. Still hoping to be in new shoes tomorrow--that means a walk will be in order to break them in (and maybe make some blisters).
    Natalka, coupon girl and lilo0003 like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Wow, what happened to summer. The temp has dropped dramatically, but it means no AC and with all the windows open I am hoping I can cool the house down considerable before the next heat wave. It took all day for a load of laundry to dry, that's one of the saddest parts of fall. Older son went to ortho today and I happily discovered we have one more payment in his treatment plan. We had to suspend it while waiting for his wisdom teeth to be taken out so he has another 26 weeks, but he can drive so no more need for a parent to manage his appointments. My budget will be happy to have that money, it was over 300.00.
    Natalka, Ciel, coupon girl and 1 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

I was tired at 4:33pm it’s now 7pm. Some person from 3rd buzzed me wanting onto my floor I told them off when they got to it after they were blatantly rude towards me.

I had an anxiety attack as I went out of my door to my second appointment because the person who is suppose to be my ride kept telling me to take the bus which causes more anxiety and panic attacks. I mean I do have a bus pass that comes off my check already for disability here but one too many panic attacks has thrown me over the edge. I find unless I go by bus at key times they are either empty or full. Which I cannot deal with and when I cannot sit down it wreaks havoc on my arms trying to hold onto something as the bus lurches back and forth with each vehicle that likes to cut it off in traffic. So after they came to pick me up they drove off and asked me why I was upset. I mean their driving a car something that could kill me if there was an disagreement I am not going to have a heated discussion during a car ride. I still have to ask them about this stress test that’s stressing me out which is next Friday. It’s first thing in the morning I should have asked them while we were coming back but traffic was nuts.

My doctor gave me a form for an X-ray for my ankle.

I talked to my psych nurse at 9:30am which I merely told her everything I was concerned about and what was happening where I lived. I am all people out.

I have the food bank tomorrow and I am actually planning on going. Even though I feel wrecked I have done something everyday this week. Saturday will be nuts I don’t plan on going to the store if it was anything like last Saturday where the other customers were blatantly rude towards me because I didn’t pay for a bag even after I had asked the cashier to pay for the bag. The cashier was the one who said to keep my money and wasn’t concerned over the five cents.

I received a Chapman’s envelope with the whole set of stickers. I ordered 3
    Activity books this morning from Chapman’s while playing.

I got notification that 2 of 3 shipments from amazon.ca shipped. I got a free gift card from a survey I did several weeks ago on Monday (40$) and ordered that day 4 things. One from a marketplace seller, then the 3 others from Amazon. Amazon broke them up into two parcels I think the colouring book is coming from the warehouse in Richmond. I could be wrong the other book that I ordered not long before that came from there and it was an adult colouring book. I also ordered with the free money diced mango pieces 1kg bag from Yupik, & music poster that is a word quote from Plato. The other parcel was extra money I had kicking around after something didn’t show up in the mail a full refund so I ordered a ice cube tray that is silicone molds of skulls. I have a few cents left over.

I need to buy new lightning headphones for my iPhone the ones that came with the phone are or looked wrecked near the plug in. Oh my an expense I wasn’t banking on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by greentires4me; Thu, Aug 30th, 2018 at 10:04 PM.
    Ciel likes this.
    Live, Love, Laugh

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Dh helped someone get a job a few weeks ago. I posted about providing childcare for their two children. I rarely do this, but I let them run a daycare tab. They received their child tax benefit money last week and the wife got paid. The husband gets paid the end of this week. I’m still waiting for them to pay me. I personally don’t think they have their priorities straight...based on personal experience and their own Facebook posts. I won’t take their children again without having cash in hand first.

I received a signed daycare contract and deposit for another daycare family. I now have 3 daycare families all starting on Tuesday. One child has been with me for a year, but left my daycare at the end of May due to financial reasons. I haven’t had daycare kids on contract since June. We breathed a sigh of relief. I will now be able to start rebuilding the savings account, particularly after dh’s expensive truck repair earlier in the month.

Now I need to get organized with meal planning, activities, and crafts. I’ve been preparing to pack school lunches too.

We went to his back to school bbq this evening. Spoke with the staff, dropped off his school supplies, and had some free food. Not healthy but free hotdogs, juice boxes, and little bags of chips. No fruits or veggies to be found.

I sold $7 in tomatoes to my regular tomato customer. I posted other tomatoes for sale, but my tomatoes are pretty small this year, still producing nicely. I have an $8 pick up scheduled for tomorrow for baby clothes.

My free Chapmans activity books arrived in the mail today. I tucked them away in my closet. I plan on using them on a PD Day this fall when I have school aged children for the entire day, in addition to little ones.
    Last edited by Angela273; Fri, Aug 31st, 2018 at 10:35 AM.
    Ciel, coupon girl and Shwa Girl like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

nm
    wrong section
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Fri, Aug 31st, 2018 at 07:58 AM.
    ROMEO and Ciel like this.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread Information