User Tag List

Page 33 of 60 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast
Like Tree2646Likes

Thread: Covid-19 situation

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

In case anyone is over-simplifying the effectiveness of being vaccinated by assuming that they make you 100% safe, this simply isn't so. According to this April 21 article in the New England Journal of Medicine https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...1544?query=TOC the Johnson & Johnson vaccine is only ~67% effective in preventing moderate to severe COVID infections two weeks or more after, and ~66% after four weeks. It is ~77% effective against “severe–critical” infections after two weeks, and ~85% after four weeks. The numbers are higher for Pfizer and Moderna, but still top out ~94%.

IMO, the main takeaways seem to be that shots don't prevent people from getting infected, but they do significantly reduce the probability of hospitalization and death, with the two-dose Pfizer and Moderna vaccines being more effective than the one-dose J&J.

I'll add that having had COVID doesn't prevent reinfection, even together with being vaccinated, witness the baseball player who recently tested positive despite both.
    anisa, princessjen, ROMEO and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    169 (100%)

DH and I are both vaccinated, as well as DIL (new mom) DS..essential worker, Mil. Mom and next week DD and SIL.
    anisa, ROMEO, coupon girl and 3 others like this.

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

DD, DS and SIL were all vaccinated with Phizer last week. DD had a very sore arm for about 4 days; SIL had nothing and DS had a sore arm that was numb right up to his finger tips. No, vaccines dont prevent you getting Covid but vaccines reduce the risk of getting seriously ill. So all sanitary procedures should still be followed no matter what. Our second dose is scheduled for July 23rd and DD and SIL for Sept 1 and SN for Sept 3. And sometime between now and the beginning of school, the grandkids will all be vaccinated with 2 doses of Pfizer.

Prem Legault said last week that the Public Health will outline the guidelines for deconfinement slowly. QC is doing well although we have curfews and restaurant closings at present etc., but hopefully these will be lifted as more peeps get vaccinated.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

some rather alarming information about the variant b.1617.2

https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2021/05/17...=socialnetwork

"Compared to the dominant B.1.1.7 variant, we know that B.1.617.2 is very likely to be more transmissible and that it might be better able to transmit between people who are fully vaccinated. [3]"

[3] footnote =
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...se-13-may-2021

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

As of today everyone in Ontario 18+ is able to book a vaccine appointment although some areas are now voicing concern that they do not have enough doses of the vaccine and there maybe frustration for those trying to book appointments.

They have also said by the end of May they will up booking for those 12 - 17 but those 12 -17 will have to go to specific clinics as they can only get the pfizer shot.

It is encouraging to see this. Slowly it does look like Ontario's numbers are starting to go down. Although this promise of Summer I think is a little bit of a reach. All events have been cancelled in Toronto and they have said no event permits will be issued until September at the earliest.

Although not Canadian related, it was interesting to see now that the CDC has told Americans they can stop wearing masks (not sure of the criteria) but it is interesting to see how many have said they feel it is too soon and will keep wearing a mask when out in public.
    anisa, ROMEO, SnowFlakey and 1 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    As of today everyone in Ontario 18+ is able to book a vaccine appointment although some areas are now voicing concern that they do not have enough doses of the vaccine and there maybe frustration for those trying to book appointments.
    The Lady was on top of this yesterday when she say the news...made sure I knew I needed to be up and ready to book us both in this morning. Was able to get us both booked in...the 'Good old fashioned way', over the telephone, with a real live person helping!
    Called the 1(888) number...waited less than 1/4 as along as the online line up took (yes...I hedged my bets by doing both), had a nice conversation, in between the *required information bits*, with Tara who took my call and booked us in. Second shots booked in as well.
    Tara was great; checked all around our area for places to get booked in, to no avail. we're driving into Markham next week for our first shots.
    All said and done with Tara, confirmations received via email and text...and I was still waiting in line online to book!
    DANGER

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Well today is the day! Prem Legault has a press conference scheduled for 5PM where he will be announcing the procedures for deconfinement for QC. This is so exciting!! Hopefully the Monteregie will be put in the Orange or Yellow Zones and curfews lifted! Hopefully!!! We have been in the Red Zone with curfew since before Christmas. For us personally, curfew hasnt been a problem since we dont go out at night much, just to our kids houses from time to time. But the younger ones want to go to the drive-in and things like that.

I heard on the news that QC recorded under 600 new infections so as a province we are doing quite well and there is talk of receiving the second dose much sooner than scheduled appointments. Hope this works out.
    Skippy, anisa, JadeAngel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was talking to one of the doctors I was working with today. He said he doesn't think covid will be going away anytime soon.
    Join Swagbucks for free amazon gift cards! $500 earned so far!!

Who knows ... but I Would Rather Be Someone's Shot of Whiskey, Than Everyone's Cup of Tea
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by princessjen View Post
    I was talking to one of the doctors I was working with today. He said he doesn't think covid will be going away anytime soon.
    Likely a correct view. It will be with us for a long time if not always. Masks may become seasonal and booster shots every year like the flu shot.

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Great news for Quebecers! As of May 28, curfews are lifted, restaurants will start to reopen and all high school kids back in school! Deconfinement has started! Yay!!! The govt is going slowly and the dates have been released starting May 28, May31, June 14 etc right up until the end of Aug. Gyms, sports for kids, family get togethers all have their dates for reopening.
    anisa, JadeAngel, walkonby and 2 others like this.

Who knows ... but I Would Rather Be Someone's Shot of Whiskey, Than Everyone's Cup of Tea
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That IS great news!

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFlakey View Post
    Great news for Quebecers! As of May 28, curfews are lifted, restaurants will start to reopen and all high school kids back in school! Deconfinement has started! Yay!!! The govt is going slowly and the dates have been released starting May 28, May31, June 14 etc right up until the end of Aug. Gyms, sports for kids, family get togethers all have their dates for reopening.
    anisa and SnowFlakey like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Reports are now saying when Ontario reopens they will be scrapping the colour system and it will not be a regional approach it will be a Province-wide approach. They are saying the colour system does not work because it is regional and this is just tempting people to region hop and go to areas with less restrictions.

Cannot say I disagree, I live close to a regional border and constantly saw people going to the next region over because they were a lower level and could do things our region could not.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Hubby is getting his vax today which we're super excited about. Only one daughter and partner left to get booked for a vaccine.
    Looking forward to hearing the Ontario changes today. We haven't visited my parents since the 3rd lockdown started.
    We still get frustrated at seeing so many people simply ignoring the rules, a house across the bay had 9 cars and about 20 people last weekend. We had friends who wanted to drop by for a visit today and we declined them especially since hubby's not vaxed yet. It's hard when some friends don't "get it" oh well. We're waiting at least 2 weeks post vax before for a visit once things reopen.
    Skippy, anisa, princessjen and 8 others like this.
    3.50 125.00 30.00

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by crafter View Post
    We had friends who wanted to drop by for a visit today and we declined them especially since hubby's not vaxed yet. It's hard when some friends don't "get it" oh well. We're waiting at least 2 weeks post vax before for a visit once things reopen.
    Good to see that you remain vigilant. Your friends may not 'get it', but may simply not 'know it'. You could let them know why you are declining their visit, in case they are simply unaware that it takes 2 weeks post-inoculation for antibodies to build or that your hubby's still vulnerable because even the inoculated can transmit the virus. Not everyone is attentive to medical reports.
    My food may not befit a king, but I eat like a horse.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Ontario will start booking for kids 12+, starting on Sunday!
    SnowFlakey and GoodBoy like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Page 33 of 60 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast

Thread Information