User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Facebook and how we've changed

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

DH and I are both kind of boggled this morning. Logged onto FB, to see that one of his friends now has his relationship information as 'separated.' This is the second couple we've learned of their separation this way.

Another friend changed his status to 'engaged' last year, which is how we found out that happier news.

Funny (but not ha ha) isn't it, how we've changed as a society? We weren't on FB when we got engaged (not even sure if there was a FB in 2002), but I guess this is how we find out this information these days!
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

It's really sad isn't it? My Uncle doesn't use his fb account much but commented to me last week when he was here for dinner that it's a good thing that he has a fb account or he wouldn't know half of the things that are going on in his daughters or grandkids lives. I find it truly sad.

Social media can be a great tool but it can also be a bad one as well. It has been good for me in the sense that during the last 16 months I've been able to keep my friends/family updated on my surgery/recovery without having to make 100 phone calls at a time BUT I always make sure to contact my very close family/friends via phone before I posted anything as well.

I know a couple that will sit on a couch together and text eachother or PM eachother on fb or write on eachothers fb walls instead of actually talking. Now THAT is sad.
    DaveP likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

It is definitely different for sure. When my fiancé and I got engaged last year I contacted all the important people and then changed my status a few weeks later. All the people that didn't already know in those first few day didn't need to know... Facebook just makes everyone in every semi aquaintance's business (if you choose to use it that way). The things I know about people I haven't spoken to in years and haven't taken the time to keep in touch with is quite astounding.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I think it's sad, too.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post

I know a couple that will sit on a couch together and text eachother or PM eachother on fb or write on eachothers fb walls instead of actually talking. Now THAT is sad.
    Hey! I resemble that remark....and I don't think it's sad.IMHO, it's only sad if you're posting to air your dirty laundry in public..

Most of the stuff we text or IM aren't the kinda stuff I'd be talking about in front of the kids. Booty call stuff...

In a social situation it's as rude as talking in a different language which only the 2 of you understand since you are excluding people.
    ninna likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I think I'm the only "dinosaur" holdout regarding FB. I was going to open up an account just to get the coupons, but my children aren't allowed to have an account, so I guess it would be hypocritical for mom to get one. Reading about all the drama and time-wasting, I don't think I am missing anything, really.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I think I still have an account, since I get those "you have blah, blah" people who posted new things, which I ignore. People are just too loosey-goosey with their information and photos, and then some wonder why their photos are appearing in odd places...it's too much for me. If someone has news they want to share with me, they can phone or email.
    Anything else is too impersonal for this dinosaur.
    DaveP likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I love it! I have been able to catch up with high school friends, even those that left the province in the mass anglo exidous, so I am really happy to have FB.

How else would we find these people? Send family photos to those far away? Yes we learn about the good bad and ugly but we need to get out of our little bubble and socialize more. People are too wrapped up in their work/so called busy lives etc. to even get out and get together. If this is the new alternative then so be it.

Remember when they said tv would turn us all in to idiots? Hence the term idiot box.

It's progress, good or bad and it's inevitable.

Beam me up!!!

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    I think I still have an account, since I get those "you have blah, blah" people who posted new things, which I ignore. People are just too loosey-goosey with their information and photos, and then some wonder why their photos are appearing in odd places...it's too much for me. If someone has news they want to share with me, they can phone or email.
    Anything else is too impersonal for this dinosaur.
    I was looking for an friend of mine when I came across a chap..same name right age so I clicked his wall.

Everything...name, age, adddress.....even the dates of his up-coming holiday...

I thought " why not tell every-one you've left your house open too..."

My profile has name and birthday...anything that was not needed never went on. The stuff they needed is blocked from public view. And I never post pictures.
    Last edited by Darth Penguin; Thu, Jul 12th, 2012 at 01:35 AM. Reason: tmi

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

I do have an account but I really don't know how to work it -I just look at what family and family-in-law are up to. I can identify with Tara's comment - we don't get many long distance phone calls anymore from "the kids".
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    Hey! I resemble that remark....and I don't think it's sad.IMHO, it's only sad if you're posting to air your dirty laundry in public..

Most of the stuff we text or IM aren't the kinda stuff I'd be talking about in front of the kids. Booty call stuff...

In a social situation it's as rude as talking in a different language which only the 2 of you understand since you are excluding people.
    You totally outted yourself with your naughty texting behaviours, I like that The couple I'm speaking of will come to my house to visit me and sit on the couch all the while their fingers tapping at their phones and later you can read on their facebook wall what "conversations" they had back and forth the whole time they were here. *sighs* I'm sorry but that's incredibly rude and I don't understand it.

There are VERY FEW friends that actually pick up a phone and call me anymore, instead I'll get messages on my facebook. I really do miss phone and face to face conversations that seem to be going the way of the dinosaur.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I like Facebook for keeping in touch with all the people that I know that don't live close.
    Actually a couple of years ago one of my cousins found us on Facebook. One day he found my mom and aunt and started talking to them and then we all met at Christmas time a few years ago. He didn't even know he had this much family because his father (my uncle) wanted nothing to do with him after a divorce.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

THAT is absolutely abhorrent, Tara!!! I'd never put up with it and they'd never get invited back!

I guess my philosophy is....if those 'old friends' haven't kept in touch over the years, and neither have I....then.....why would I want to be in touch with them now? I don't even want to go to highschool reunions because of that same reason....
    To put it bluntly...I don't care what they're up to! LOL! How's that for being an uncaring, unfeeling curmudgeon?! I'll keep my information private because it's my business...I don't trust facebook and I think the back-lash is yet to come...Darth...you naughty little thing!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

i killed my account that had my real name.. the only one i have now is my fake one for freebies.. i got sick of the invites and the pokes and all the stupidity of it, and i never even posted anywhere! i don't care that so-and-so "liked" a comment that someone made about something stupid; i don't care that someone else commented on someone else's picture; i don't care that person X and person Y are now friends.. all the people that found me that i went to school with and asked me to be their friend, i ask WHY? they never spoke to me in high school, why the hell do they want to speak to me now? so i killed it, and quite frankly, i don't care what they think about it.. i do wonder though, why i made the account in the first place? everyone that i want to speak to i speak to.. none of my family is on fb.. i also am a very private person and i don't want everyone knowing my business.. i'm with darth, i have ZERO pictures of me anywhere.. ... sc is my fb, it's all i need... that's my rant for the day

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

im a fan of facebook, if not for FB i wouldn't know what's going on with family members!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information