User Tag List

Page 9 of 149 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 109 ... LastLast
Like Tree5643Likes

Thread: What's blooming in your yard?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I used to have a fabulous patch of big purple irises (which would get knocked down if it rained hard). Now it's all greenery, except for a few YELLOW flowers, smaller but the same shape, that are growing out of there now. What happened?

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Patty, if I could get my yard to look half as lush as yours, I'd be in heaven.

Here are a few photos I took today. My Hibiscus finally bloomed this morning. The color was a surprise as it was nearly dead when I got it (for free courtesy Super C!) a short while ago.

Name:  jb1.JPG
Views: 341
Size:  50.6 KB

I can't remember the name of this pretty one but it grows about 3' feet high and it's spreading quickly. I think I'm going to devote a lot more space for it next year. It only gets a few hours of morning sun yet it's blooming profusely.

Name:  jb2.JPG
Views: 401
Size:  68.3 KB

Forgive the poor quality of this photo but I couldn't find the key for the back gate. The tag that came with it says Cimicifuga Simplex 'White Pearl' but, when I googled the image, the leaves are not the same. Not sure what variety it is but I adore this shade loving plant. It's should bloom in a few more days.

Name:  jb3.JPG
Views: 347
Size:  96.1 KB

GoJays, there's a variety with purple/red foliage that may contrast nicely under your Dogwood. The tops of the spiky blooms can reach 4' though. I also see several Heuchera 'Palace Purple' looking lovely in that spot too.
    Last edited by snuffaluffagus; Sun, Jun 24th, 2012 at 08:48 PM.
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    I used to have a fabulous patch of big purple irises (which would get knocked down if it rained hard). Now it's all greenery, except for a few YELLOW flowers, smaller but the same shape, that are growing out of there now. What happened?
    Can you post a picture of it, Zonny? Are you sure it's not another plant altogether that is growing near it? As far as I know, irises don't revert. The only other explanation would be that it went to seed, crossed with another iris, and the resulting plant is yellow.

It was a great day to be gardening...the sun was out and it wasn't too hot.

The peonies are just coming into bloom. The pale pink ones are extremely full flowered and will drag on the ground when the inevitable rains come.

First one is Karl Rosenfeld peony. This one manages to stay upright.

Next is a wider shot of one of my flower beds. Lots packed in here and not much in bloom yet except for the coral bells aka heuchera.

Last picture is Sarah Bernhardt peony, not fully opened.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by marstec; Sun, Jun 24th, 2012 at 08:49 PM.
    anisa, Kitty77, GoJays and 1 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

snuffaluffagus, awesome pictures! Your post wasn't up when I was posting, so I'll do another one.

I love that colour of hibiscus...are you planning on taking it in for the winter?

I think your white mystery plant might be Achillea "The Pearl" aka sneezeweed (what an unfortunate name).

Is the last one a perennial, or do you have to dig it up for the winter? If you look at my second picture, on the right of the coral bells, there is a cimicifuga or bugbane...that's how the leaves should look (btw, they changed the name from cimicifuga to actaea). Now I'm intrigued...

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    Can you post a picture of it, Zonny? Are you sure it's not another plant altogether that is growing near it? As far as I know, irises don't revert. The only other explanation would be that it went to seed, crossed with another iris, and the resulting plant is yellow.

It was a great day to be gardening...the sun was out and it wasn't too hot.
    I will take a pic tomorrow! This is I think the second year it's done this, but last year the purple irises came along with the yellow, this year no purple at all.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Marstec, yes, I'll be taking the Hibiscus in for the Winter. I have two of them, three giant Orleander, and two new Palm trees my younger son bought me last week that I'll have to find space for indoors this Winter. His bedroom is the only one with enough sunlight so it looks like we'll have to get rid of some of his furniture for the needed space .

Thanks for giving me the name of the Achillea "The Pearl". I really, really like how this one grows so fast and thick.

The last one is a perennial. I planted two last Spring and they were the tiniest little things; I had no idea they would get so big. Funny, in the particular area I have them growing, I have Coral Bells growing to the left of them too .
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by snuffaluffagus View Post
    The last one is a perennial. I planted two last Spring and they were the tiniest little things; I had no idea they would get so big. Funny, in the particular area I have them growing, I have Coral Bells growing to the left of them too .
    I think your last plant is ligularia przewalskii. It should get yellow flowers if it is the correct guess.

Make sure your achillea gets good air circulation, the one in my yard gets mildew near the end of summer.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Zonny they could need dividing also. I have a daylily that has almost stopped flowering, it's just too tight in it's space.

and the rain toppled all my hydrangeas, hopeully the wires I have around them will hold them up but usually this means all the stems will break at the top. Oh well happens every year , i just wish it didn't . The heads are just too big

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

[QUOTE=snuffaluffagus;4787743]Patty, if I could get my yard to look half as lush as yours, I'd be in heaven.

Here are a few photos I took today. My Hibiscus finally bloomed this morning. The color was a surprise as it was nearly dead when I got it (for free courtesy Super C!) a short while ago.

Name:  jb1.JPG
Views: 341
Size:  50.6 KB

The hibiscus looks great, can't believe it bloomed so fast.
    cath007 and BC Gal like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Signs of the mixed lettuces are popping above ground, the radish leaves continue to get larger and there some succulent looking leaves from "weeds" that are growing around the seeded areas. Time to weed.
    Patty Smyth likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Right now the honeysuckle is starting to bloom. It has the most wonderful smell; nothing like the fake perfume stuff.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    Check out my eerie little flower.. it's a minature water lily, it's about the size of a quarter

And here's my project....

before -

and after -

i still need a few more bricks to finish off the front of it, but you get the idea

nice tripping hazard for the visiting drunks.
    other than that, you are doing a great job. Looks much nicer than the wood that was surrounding it previously.

and i like the little water lily. very interesting and different.

as for suggestions for your shady corner?....asphalt works well. very low maintenance and you can put a couple of chairs with beer holders in the shade and get relief from the heat without having to go into the house.
    GoJays and Tbites like this.
    I can't profess to understand God's plan. Christ promised the resurrection of the dead. I just thought he had something a little different in mind.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    15 (94%)

I have so many new things that are just starting and probably aren't going to bloom this year (periwinkle, hydrangeas, etc). My daylillies are FINALLY blooming, my hosta's are getting fuller and fuller. My sunflowers are also getting there!

I decided to try my luck at vegetables this year. In past years, I had just taken the seeds from inside my peppers (I eat a lot of peppers), and just throw them in the dirt, and SURPRISINGLY it's worked out. So this year I decided to plant: green peppers, cilantro, onions, snap peas, green beans, corn (not my idea), zuchini, spaghetti squash, and asparagus. Everything is actually doing REALLY well, hopefully some of them actually yield!
    snuffaluffagus likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by electric_viking View Post
    nice tripping hazard for the visiting drunks.
    other than that, you are doing a great job. Looks much nicer than the wood that was surrounding it previously.

and i like the little water lily. very interesting and different.

as for suggestions for your shady corner?....asphalt works well. very low maintenance and you can put a couple of chairs with beer holders in the shade and get relief from the heat without having to go into the house.
    the only drunks that are at my house live there.. bwahahaha!

i'll call King paving for a quote on the asphalt

thanks vike
    electric_viking likes this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Budding gardener here.... been gleaning these gardening threads for any and all information... you all have some beautiful plants growing. And I am learning a lot!

I am happy to report that in my garden, almost all of my vegetable plants have flowers or have flowered. I also have one baby pepper, and 9 baby tomatoes growing. How did that happen?

One of my two hostas' is under snail attack, but the other is just about to bloom. My two purple lillies have lovely large buds. I can't wait to see those!

We just put in a new fence and sod down, so the garden has all been a secondary, "when I have time", sort of thing. I am hoping to get my garden up to the standard that you all have set!
    anisa and GoJays like this.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Page 9 of 149 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 109 ... LastLast

Thread Information