User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: Is Christmas a surprise to people?

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

We know that Christmas happens every December 25th. We have a whole year to plan for the next one once it's over. So why do people save the shopping until a week or so before Christmas?

Most of my shopping has been done for ages, and I've been picking up the occasional holiday "deal" (mostly online) when something we actually need or regularly use comes up at a great price, but my husband asked me to shop for one of his family member's Christmas gifts this morning, as he hadn't done it yet. It was crazy out there. Parking was hard to find. There were long lines at checkouts. Items were picked over. People were snarky. I'm not sure how shoppers can be making thoughtful gift choices as they run around, and they can't be going home to their families in a good mood.

So why do we do this to ourselves?
    This thread is currently associated with: Shoppers Drug Mart

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

You are right OP.
    Like you I have been shopping year round.

Also, since the stores are open later or even 24 hours, I have tried to avoid the times the store is crowded.
    Minou, cath007, ticul and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

So true! I have worked retail for almost 25 yrs. As a manager- I always made sure that MY christmas shopping was done by the end of October. With blackout periods in play (as a manager- no weekends off), christmas shopping during the week was fine, but still hated the crowds. I worked for a store that was very much in demand- I can't tell you how often we would sell out of something in our catalogue weeks before Christmas, and then take the heat from all the last minute shopper's. Customer wanted it both ways- the exclusivity of something from our store- but then wonder why we didn't have any left for them. Very glad to be out of that mad rush!
    Last edited by matty's mom; Sat, Dec 15th, 2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: 25 not 35 yrs- I am not that old!!! LOL!
    Minou, Shwa Girl, ticul and 1 others like this.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

JPlus online shopping is getting easier here. Even walmart.ca is having some good deals and they ship fast too.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    57 (100%)

I agree with you as my Christmas shopping starts on December 26 LOL!
    Minou, ticul and torontogal12 like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Christmas...is that soon??? I'm hopelessly dis-organised at times and Christmas is always one of them. The only time I was truely ready in adveance was when I had Penguinette 1 and while she was settling down with her minder, I was able to do all my shopping before I went back to work in the middle of November.
    kazm-l and ticul like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Did all my Christmas shopping in August redeeming all my choco SDM points. I don't want to step foot in to a mall. DD wants to go to the mall and just inhale the xmas ambiance. Watch Santa with kids, people watching, do lunch, window shopping. Parking is going to be crazy. Maybe get DH to drop us off and then pick us up later.
    Minou and ticul like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just playing devil's advocate here......although the majorityof my shopping is done since I did it all online...I only have a few things left to get....not everyone has jobs that are the normal 9-5 jobs or heck even 12hr shifts....some people have schedules that do not permit them to shop until closer to christmas wether it be because of work or when not at work they are still busy with other commitments, driving kids to things, watching kids during their events etc....I rely on my week off befire christmas to finish up my gifts and my husband relies on the same week to do all of his shopping as any downtime up until this point is spent resting and doing the bare necessities around the house due to his heavy work schedule...
    Natalka, DianneS, ticul and 1 others like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

This is so funny as me and one of the other girls at work were just talking about this. Our year end is fast approaching which means Inventory must be done and like every year for who knows how many year the weekend before Christmas we all have to go in and do inventory but the number of people who comment but I am not ready for Christmas is actually kind of funny. It happens every year on the same day and inventory happens every year.

I understand having to wait till the last minute to shop, I have had to do it a few times (waiting for my paycheck to come in), if you leave it to the last minute you have to expect to deal with crowds and everything that comes with it.
    ticul likes this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I hate shopping so much, I never know what to get people, and for some reason, I think that if I procrastinate enough, that a perfect gift idea will come to me. It usually doesn't and I scramble around the week before Christmas.

No idea why I do it, but it happens every year.
    Natalka, Minou, ninna and 3 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

I am a procrastinator by choice! My problem is that if I shopped through out the year Christmas would cost me twice as much. I LOVE giving gifts to people and I'm like a child when I buy them. As soon as I buy something for Matt I wrap it. Then I'd dancing about like a kid wanting him to open it. The joy on his face is too much! It's a problem I need an intervention!
    Mia001, Minou, ninna and 10 others like this.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Lol, Minou...I'm going to use your title on every miserable shopper I come across this season . I had someone come into our crowded little store this morning expecting to be served immediately and ahead of other customers who were already waiting. Why? Because they were in a hurry, decided they didn't want to pay the parking meter and shouted "if I get a ticket, you're going to pay it!" Oy .
    Minou, cath007, ticul and 1 others like this.
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    459 (100%)

Other than the legitimate excuses(ie/ work, money, etc)I think some people think they get better deals waiting until the last minute. In some cases I am sure it is true but others like "the thrill" of shopping last minute!
    gourmetsue, ticul and torontogal12 like this.
    Want to keep fit while earning incentives like Scene Points? Join Carrot Rewards using my personal code: rosaw3424

Easy Free Online Rewards--Paypal, Amazon, Etc.

http://swagbucks.com/refer/BlingPink

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

it's when people decide to catch up on thier gossip in the middle of Wal*Mart's toy section on the Friday before Christmas. Seriously...talk somewhere else..
    Mia001, gourmetsue, ninna and 3 others like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Our Mall is open the first 3 weeks of December until 9 PM for more facility on people .Not only the 2 days (tuesday and saturday) like Usual.That said I had no gifts to give this year so I will maybe go for a sale at claire or dollorama an after Christmas for Boxing Day. But yes those time of the year crowd is everywhere.
    Last edited by cath007; Sun, Dec 16th, 2012 at 05:52 PM.
    ticul likes this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information