User Tag List

Page 52 of 193 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 152 ... LastLast
Like Tree7764Likes

Thread: First World Problems: post yours!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I just don't get why a kid that age can't use the family tablet. Why does the kid need their own? I do understand if they're in high school and need to do homework or something, but that's so expensive. Easy to drop/lose
    Zonny, keeko1, Candini and 1 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

My kids did not get a phone until they were in Grade 11. They were not allowed to use it during school hours, they don't need to connect with their friends when they are at home, that's what landlines are for. I drive them to school and pick them up so they don't need to talk to me. Even now, they don't have an iPhone, I think they have a Samsung. I'm no techie when it comes to phones, lol. I have a crappy Nokia and I don't know how to text.
    I remember when my kids were in elementary and every second kid had a phone. One of them was running in the school yard and dropped her phone. A million pieces everywhere. Try explaining that to your mom or dad.
    torontogal12 and trishka like this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Good to know that I'm not the only one that thinks this trend of getting kids electronics is STUPID. SIL got her son( 5yrs old) a tablet for Xmas this year. This is the same SIL that asked us for money so her power wasn't shut off. Her sons ( 5 & 4) do nothing but have their noses glued to electronics. Crazy, crazy,crazy. And you notice how there are now commercials telling parents to get the kids outside and PLAY? WOW!

My First World problem? Deciding to get dressed or stay in pjs
    Natalka, Zonny and trishka like this.
    Just call me Wolfie

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I have a casting tonight for a gig that pays very well, but it's so cold out that I just want to stay here in my sweater and pj pants instead of venturing out in this cold weather in audition appropriate attire ugh!
    Candini, wolfwoman and trishka like this.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

About 5 years ago I volunteered at a local VBS where I was a group leader, I had a 4 and 8 year old in my group who both had cell phones. In our house the rule was once I started driving I had to get a cell phone for safety (I live in the boonies and going to the mall is a 30 to 45 minutes drive and me all my friends drove the back roads). For my sibs who lived with my Dad they got cell phones when they started High School since they were going to school 45 minutes from where they lived.

It is insane our cousins that are younger than us act like they are so deprived to not have these things. I think pretty soon kids will be getting cell phones at birth, who needs a birth certificate when you can have a cell phone lol.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The cell phone will have the birth certificate on it!

I didn't get a cell phone until my second year of university and my parents wanted me to have one because I was moving off campus and had to drive or take the bus late at night sometimes. It was a blackberry but the only reason it was a blackberry was because my dad was able to get it for free with the company plan, we just had to pay for the plan, which was a good plan and fit my needs.

I remember the days when I had to share a computer with my dad and my brother and whenever I wanted to go online, I did so with my dad in the room while he was watching tv. I didn't get my own computer until grade 10 and that was because it took my dad some time to piece it together. My first brand new computer was a laptop when I went to university. I still have the same Sansa mp3 player I bought when I was in grade 12.

IMO, kids are spoiled these days. They don't really know the meaning of a want, everything is a need. My parents made sure I understood the difference between a want and a need in order to spend my money wisely. Probably why I'm in my mid-20s and have paid off all of my debt and have not accumulated anything since, with the exception of my mortgage.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Responding to the posts with regards to children and expensive electronics etc..

Before Christmas I was at the mall. This young girl, 6-7, wanted a smartphone for Christmas. The mother told her no, she was too young. She started having a hissy fit, stomping her feet, crying, saying her friend xxx has one, another friend has an iPad etc. They continued their way through the mall, the girl still upset.

My youngest nephew, who is 9 and a good kid, plays video games for hours. During school vacation, he was up at 6 am and playing games right through to 3pm. His mother (my sister in law) was bringing his breakfast and lunch downstairs for him to eat while he continued playing. Another day, he started crying, and I rushed downstairs. He hand was cramped and painful. Turns out from holding the video game controller for hours, his hand improved after applying ice.

I think it's fine to let a child play video games for a certain amount of time, but not all day, every day. In my opinion it's not good for the mind of a young child.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

ok.. i'll step in and say i have a 6yr old.. she got a tablet for christmas last year(when she turned 5) BUT it's not an ipad or anything fancy (cost about $100 it's a blackberry one) gramma bought it for her as her "big" christmas gift and because we live in a small place she couldn't buy some random big gift (no place to set it up, no place to store it...) she doesn't access the internet on it, it is mostly used for playing simple app games, and movies (it's a godsend when traveling on airplanes which we do 2-3 round trips to grammas per year or if we are in a waiting room, or even just to entertain her in a shopping cart while doing running around)

she also has a leap pad tablet which cost about the same, but the flaw to that is each new game is another $30 ($20 if i can find them onsale) out of pocket BUT the pros are they are almost always an educational game

i don't agree with buying young children high end expensive electronics, but i'm not against buying kids electronics i'd never pay $250+ for a tablet for her.. but the $100 mark probably (thinking back when i was a kid the high end electronics was CD players and walkmans/diskmans..yes i was a child of the 80's) i don't try to outdo myself every year, this year's "hot" toy for her was a "party in the tub" light up toy and a "polly on the wall"

i have no interest in buying her a laptop, or a cellphone any time soon heck i don't even own a cellphone

i think the tricky thing now is these kids are growing up in a different generation.. the computer, tablets, cellphones have just integrated soo deeply into society now a days that it's as basic as a fridge or TV, my daughter's school (not a fancy school, it's an inner city school) has ipads that the kids use and they learn on even the kindergarteners use them (educational games of-course) and computer classes
    Lyssia510 and SassyAshley like this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You are so correct Midnightly. It is very different then when we grew up. Our children had ipads to use as part of the learning offerings in Kindergarten!!! They are as comfortable with technology as breathing! For our kids laptops with certain programs became a necessity for homework/assignment completion by grade5/6!!! That can be my first world problem of the day... having to buy these programs/devices even though the teacher says there is access at school. Be honest, if you want your child to have appropriate time to complete the assignment to the best of their ability it is pretty necessary to purchase everything to have at home so they can go between both places. Argh. Knew the day would come we would require all this, but it came much quicker than expected. Thanks goodness for Optimum points! lol.
    SassyAshley likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

We can't really compare what we had in our childhood when we're 30-40+ now. Our parents didn't have TVs, DVDs, CDs in their childhoods, doesn't really mean that we should never have them either. My mom used to tell stories about gathering around the radio (and the neighbours came over too because not everyone had one!).

But I totally agree that the electronics that some very young kids are getting are a bit over the top, in grade two they just don't need this kind of thing. And if these items are 'required' as kids get older, what about families that can't afford to feed their children properly, much less equip them with a $300 piece of equipment?

I used to balk at spending $100 on one kid, but I have to admit that we spent more than that on DS this Christmas (it was for several things, and nothing electronic). And last year we bought him a Leap Pad that was $100, but he rarely uses it anymore. Things are getting more expensive for sure.

As for the girl in the mall who wanted an iPhone, at least the mom didn't give in and buy one!
    GoJays and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    201 (100%)

3rd day in a row with a wind chill warning.... we really need to go out and get some groceries, but its too dang cold to take the baby outside! grrrrrrr Hubby is going to go out later on today and pick up a few things... but I wanted to go out too! Im getting cabin fever!
    Get paid for your opinion! http://legerweb.com/J4Z12
    Join Swagbucks and earn free money and giftcards!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/melissabrien

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I am going to admit, I can understand the spoiled child as that was me growing up. My mom was a single mom from the time I was 3 and until I was about 8 we lived with my grandparents (mom's mom & dad plus mom's grandfather). My family will tell you I only had to think about maybe wanting something and it would appear. I had many things other kids did not including a video game system and TV I could use anytime to play my video games. Than once we moved out I was given my own TV for my room, which lead to CD players and so on.

But here is where I think the huge difference comes now, yes I had video games and TVs but at the same time they were never used as a babysitter. I still spent most of my time outside running around the farm, playing in dirt piles or the pool. Even when inside my go too was not the video games, I actually preferred things like using the ban saw, the sewing machine or playing with my Nanny's paints (wood ceramics whatever did not matter).

I can see kids having tablets and ipads they do come in handy especially if you travel, I saw a lot of this on our last vacation. I think the real question is what are they doing. No small child in my opinion needs internet access on these devices and lets be honest without good parental controls who knows what they will find. I am in my late 20s and lets be honest I have searched something completely innocent in no way naughty but lets be honest not all the search results were PG 13. Plus again just my opinion but I think kids now a days miss what is right in front of them. A great example is when we were on vacation we went to see a diving show which was amazing, the two children sitting in front of us with their parents sat there the whole time on the tablets playing games and watching movies instead of what was right in front of them. There is a time and a place for everything sure bring it let them amuse themselves until the show starts but once it starts take them away. Children need to learn to see what is in front of them and live life and not do it all through gadgets.
    Zonny likes this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    3rd day in a row with a wind chill warning.... we really need to go out and get some groceries, but its too dang cold to take the baby outside! grrrrrrr Hubby is going to go out later on today and pick up a few things... but I wanted to go out too! Im getting cabin fever!
    We were in all day yesterday and I was going shack-wacky! Stores weren't open, even the buses were not on the roads yesterday.

Even though stores are open again and we have transit now, it's 11 a.m. and we have not set foot outside, it's too cold! I wouldn't mind going for a shop either, but we don't have a car, very sucky to wait for a bus in this. However, DS has a sports class at 1 so we'll be going out for that.
    SassyAshley likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Thank goodness DH is a techie on all electronics possible. He gets the best price possible on cell phones, laptops, etc. He checks all forums on where is the best deal and runs out the door to Staples, Best Buy, Future, The Source, etc, and says "Want to hear about my good deal?". He's worst than me., LOL.

Both kids are in CEGEP and they have laptops with the best innards possible. They need it for school where they have WIFI. I feel so bad for the students whose parents are not tech savvy and just buy whatever is at the store at whatever price they are quoted. What happens if it breaks down or there are a ton of viruses? Take it back to the store and then have it serviced, pay whatever because you have no choice, no computer for a couple of weeks, etc. So glad we are not in the same boat.
    SassyAshley likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Bought 2L Neilson Trutaste milk and used the $1 off coupon from the Saputo magazine. The coupon is good for "any" Neilson Trutaste 2L or 4L milk.

Cashier called the supervisor to ask whether she could accept a coupon that is "not for the item being purchased." I was confused because it was clearly the same item. Supervisor came and said the coupon is for the same item and couldn't understand why cashier had called her. Turns out it was because I was buying skim and the coupon has a picture of 2% on it. lolol
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Page 52 of 193 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 152 ... LastLast

Thread Information