User Tag List

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Like Tree1147Likes

Thread: Time For A Bragging Rules Discussion

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

^ I agree a million percent. If English was my first language I still don't think I could have said it better. Thank you for the input and the laugh at the same time. I'm still chuckling right now as I'm typing this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I am all for a good deal that comes by honestly. What my opinion of honestly might differ slightly or vastly from another persons opinion.

Regarding some of the more recent brags, I will say that anyone that is a rewards card holder for any retail outlet should read the terms and conditions. Receiving multiple deals with multiple reward cards that do not belong to you is violating the terms and conditions of the program. This is how an amazing program becomes not so amazing.

Be honest and do what is right even if it means missing out on a good deal now and then.

p.s. I don't care if a couponer clears the shelf. More junk for them to store in their house LOL I hate clutter and will only buy what I know I will use. In the past I used to "stock up", which by that term I mean buy 3 or 4 bottles of Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce because it was free and I had the coupons. I have used 1 bottle and had to throw the other 3 out due to expiry. It doesn't make sense for me to buy more than we will possibly ever use. It just prevents someone else from getting a good deal and makes my hubby mad when things expire that we buy in multiples of.

I often wonder if people buy in multiples to have the biggest stock pile? It's sort of addicting I think for some people.
    Last edited by CrazyQT; Sat, Jun 28th, 2014 at 01:22 PM. Reason: to add some more babble.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I do enjoy the brags. There are of course some problems in the brag section and for me the biggest problem is misuse of a coupon. We do need to keep a eye on it.... and I am not talking about the innocent mistakes that happen either. I don't worry about the big brags too much. Most of my trips are small and I don't really do big hauls anymore. My stockpile is in maintenance mode. People who are doing massive hauls get so much stuff sooner or later they take a few years off couponing. You can only put so much stuff in your place. Eventually every couponer gets to a place where they can slow down. Couponing takes time and energy and building a stockpile is about saving money and building your families security to a level you are happy with. The brag section is intrical to some people so they have a visual of how the process works. Seeing stockpile pics... that is always fantastic. Seeing what someone got for deals, that has helped me from time to time so I could get a deal I missed. What do I think the rules should be? Be respectful, Show off legit deals in all their glory. I think it is just that easy. If someone has to put in what store they shopped at... the dates of the sales ect that will not encourage people to share. As for shelf clearing.... get a rain check or go back to the store another day... if that doesn't work there will be another deal and we can't get them all. I have missed plenty of deals and it isn't the person's fault that got there before me... it just is what it is. Mods, thanks so much for the work you guys do!

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TINMACK View Post
    Probably brags would have to be a type of sticky without option for commenting, both good or bad. Otherwise brags will probably continue to decline.
    This I agree with.

Maybe this could be an option? Maybe the brag section could be re-formatted to have no room for comments? If you dislike it then report it, if you like it then give a thumbs up. If you have a question, either PM the user or ask in a rep.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    107 (100%)

Very well said TINMACK! Your post should be the bragging forum policy!
    TINMACK, sam786, momi and 1 others like this.
    Must have a U.S. itunes account to choose a free product on Poshmark: New Accounts Only:
    1) Download the app called Poshmark 2) While creating a new account, enter the invite code: JAAZH (it will be the last box to fill) 3) $10 in credit will added to your account (Shipping is $0.99 during your first day on the app!) Pick a product that is $9.00 or less and your total will be:$0.00

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ericaraina View Post
    Very well said TINMACK! Your post should be the bragging forum policy!

I think that rules should be set by Boo, the MODS and senior members who contribute more to the forum. They know the ins and outs.

Trading Score
    569 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    I think that rules should be set by Boo, the MODS and senior members who contribute more to the forum. They know the ins and outs.
    Boo Who?? ..................sorry I had to say it lol
    Want free Christmas shopping???
    get giftcards to Amazon!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by ccmp1974 View Post
    Boo Who?? ..................sorry I had to say it lol
    Boo is the owner of the forum ....I think...

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cinpow View Post
    Boo is the owner of the forum ....I think...
    Cinpow, that was not was not a serious question

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

A closed post (sticky) would not give the option to learn about the deals with questions and conversations. A lot of times I need clarification on a coupon used or pm.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

I don't often read the brags anymore because I have found they are rarely for good, healthy groceries but are more often for processed, sugary food; high quantities of cleaning supplies, H&B items,etc. In addition, I am sometimes unimpressed with how the couponer skirted the rules.

I have rarely posted questions about brags, but the last time I asked a question about a brag was about a year ago when someone posted they had scored dozens of bottles of Sweet Baby Ray's for $0.00 OOP. I posted, asking "out of curiosity" what she used the barbecue sauce for as I typically only go through 3 or 4 bottles a year. I was immediately told by a few people that it was none of my business and that I should not post if I had nothing nice to say. Honestly, I was just curious....and the OP did eventually reply and say she used it in soup and several other specific recipes. After that fiasco, I haven't bothered asking anything about any brag. It's not worth and drama and I often see even innocent, well-intentioned questions met with defensive, aggressive responses.

Posts that brag about the misuse of coupons, or the bullying of cashiers are what give rise the to the comments I've seen posted elsewhere saying 'SC = Scam Canucks". When highly questionable brags go unchallenged, or worse, are celebrated it hurts the site. Retailers watch sites like SC and, ultimately, all couponers pay the price.
    Last edited by DianneS; Sun, Jun 29th, 2014 at 12:56 AM.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DianneS View Post
    I don't often read the brags anymore because I have found they are rarely for good, healthy groceries but are more often for processed, sugary food; high quantities of cleaning supplies, H&B items,etc. In addition, I am sometimes unimpressed with how the couponer skirted the rules.

I have rarely posted questions about brags, but the last time I asked a question about a brag was about a year ago when someone posted they had scored dozens of bottles of Sweet Baby Ray's for $0.00 OOP. I posted, asking "out of curiosity" what she used the barbecue sauce for as I typically only go through 3 or 4 bottles a year. I was immediately told by a few people that it was none of my business and that I should not post if I had nothing nice to say. Honestly, I was just curious....and the OP did eventually reply and say she used it in soup and several other specific recipes. After that fiasco, I haven't bothered asking anything about any brag. It's not worth and drama and I often see even innocent, well-intentioned questions met with defensive, aggressive responses.

Posts that brag about the misuse of coupons, or the bullying of cashiers are what give rise the to the comments I've seen posted elsewhere saying 'SC = Scam Canucks". When highly questionable brags go unchallenged, or worse, are celebrated it hurts the site. Retailers watch sites like SC and, ultimately, all couponers pay the price.
    I like to use bbq sauce when I season meat. Just a little squirt with my regular seasoning. It adds a little umph.
    I'd pick up a dozen if I could get them for free, they have a pretty long shelf life.
    The best things in life...aren't things

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    I disagree.
    I think the rules should be set by Boo. I feel some people feel the need to police other members far more than they should - and where it's not necessary and is absolutely pointless in them doing so. Some posts that are made are just ' I know better than you' posts and other posts telling people their opinions are wrong. I feel far too much of this goes on now. Of course some people need to be corrected but those are not the posts I am referring to. And, not to mention, some of the people doing this are not always correct themselves. Many people have great ideas that can lead to great policy/rule changes. It could be any member, who has been here for any amount of time. Just my opinion.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I am just gonna throw my opinion out there...

I have been a member of SC for a few years now.

When I first came here, I would have been hard-pressed to find anything negative to say about the forum or blog.

Nowadays I feel like I kind of....erm.....avoid SC. I dont even think it was a conscious decision, and I dont think I could pinpoint specifics. I just stopped liking the way I felt when I read or participated in the forum. I dont like saying this, but I think maybe the *couponing movement* from the last few years has resulted in an influx of new couponers who have no idea how to coupon even when complicated steps are not involved. I dont...want..to have to explain every move and when it came to getting a specific deal. *blush* It becomes more trouble than its worth. And before the couponing tv shows and hype, most people here had a pretty good idea of how to coupon so the explanations were not as crazynecessary (leading to frustration and confusion) as they have become.

Maybe some very clear direction for new members would help with that? Stickies, FAQs....something....? When I first came to SC, I know it took me many months of learning before I felt comfortable navigating most of the site, and thats with couponing experience already under my belt.

I also think there is an issue of "couponing ethics", and not everyone has the same stance as to what is appropriate and what isnt. Are SC members and moderators responsible for maintaining a certain level of couponing ethics? I am not sure how to answer that.

I lurk in the shadows from the cave I have retreated to and still visit the site on occasion. I still very much appreciate the site and contributions from members, but you probably wont find me posting brags on modern SC. Its become overwhelming - to me.

I would not even know what to recommend to change the bragging section, but I do think keeping it positive will help to make it comfortable and welcoming place. Maybe it is a good idea to disallow comments on brags!! *PM* me if you really want to know how to get this deal; otherwise, gimme a thumbs up if you dig it....and if you dont dig it....well there is the door to leave my post!*

*retreats back to cave*
    Last edited by r0c0upons; Sun, Jun 29th, 2014 at 08:14 AM.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by shopperwho View Post
    A closed post (sticky) would not give the option to learn about the deals with questions and conversations. A lot of times I need clarification on a coupon used or pm.
    While I do agree with this, asking questions or trying to clarify things is why some people have been getting offended. I personally welcome questions but if the general consensus is to keep things 100% positive than a closed post is the way to go (given that is even an option).

As I said before if you have a question, you can still ask it directly to OP and perhaps ask them to update their post if need be. In a way it may help people know what to post in a brag -- If they receive multiple PM's asking the same question, then perhaps next time they will include that information so that they don't receive so many questions via PM. If they choose not answer, then that's their choice and if the thread looks "sketchy", a MOD can decide what steps to take.

To me, having a closed brag is the only way to ensure 100% positivity. There will ALWAYS be people who post their opinion. Heck in the past we've seen people making multiple accounts just to troll. Sad but true. Also some people's personal ethics won't allow them to see something they feel is blatantly wrong and not act in some way (whether it's a comment or reporting to a MOD).

Just things to consider since this thread is about coming up with a solution....

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread Information