User Tag List

Page 26 of 49 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 ... LastLast
Like Tree4815Likes

Thread: July 2015 Frugal Chatter

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Have you contacted Scotibank as they won't just give you the better rate, just a thought. I would also inquire how many times you can ask for the lower rate, my guess is that it might just once, better to have all your ducks in line and be prepared to ask the questions that can make you more financially fit (lol).

I must admit I am not a fan of variable rates as it's too risky in my opinion. I am less concerned with the fixed rate/variable combo but again you need to remain variable for a fixed period of time normally 1 year, just my opinion.
    I checked my last LOC stmt and my interest rate is a fixed rate + prime so it will go down 0.15% too

As for having a variable mortgage vs fixed rate.... When we went in to the bank for renewal the difference between the fixed rate and the variable rate was .54% (now since prime has gone down the difference is .69%). I really can't see the prime lending rate going up 70 points or more over the next 5 years but who knows right? We had a crazy high interest rate before we renewed (over 5%) so if the interest rates do go up we know we can still afford it.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Angela-I first misread your post and I thought you said you ate 2 lbs of strawberries for lunch! lol. Installing the car seat bases in the car must make things seem very real all of a sudden-those babies will be coming home before you know it. I know with the twin-twin Mum I help out, they were not quite ready-they had just moved house and done major renos so at least the nursery was ready. She was scheduled for a C-section at 38 weeks and late one evening while her DH was out late having a couple of beers with the guys her water broke at 36 weeks 1 day so in they went to the hospital. I guess the babies decided they were ready even though the parents weren't. You sound super organized and very ready!

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Good afternoon, everyone.

Yesterday was fun. It's been a while since I've played hometown tourist. I couldn't get close enough to get a decent shot of the Toronto sign at City Hall, so I'll have to go back another day. On the plus side, I got to get up close and personal with the PanAm flame.

Name:  P1090938.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  411.1 KB

Then we wandered around looking at the trains (CN Tower is literally a 2 minute walk behind me as I took this photo - see if you can spot the plane ).

Name:  P1090965.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  386.6 KB

We finished our little tour at Union Station (& tried cold-filtered tea with fresh fruit in it - yumm!).

Name:  P1100033.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  297.4 KB

And ended the night at the local pub, where lots of athletes were hanging out (the darn rootbeer is only available on tap, which is why I'm starting to turn into a barfly ).

Name:  P1100068.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  145.9 KB

Go Team Canada!

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their day.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Sweet Sparrow - I'm sorry to hear about your fall! Ouch! Take care and don't try too much. I didn't make it out for the Minions freebie today either.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

New dehumidifier in place. I have most of the plastic off the wall and found another cardboard box that needs to be unpacked. I was really hurting today, so slept for a while and pecked away at things.

We also bought a fan, but I haven't had the energy to put it together yet.

The new dehumidifier we bought is the same brand as the one which has gone kaput! The new one has a "Limited 5 Year Warranty" listed on the box, so, since we only bought the other one a year ago, I'm going to try to find the receipt - which would have been easy before the s*^t hit the fan, so to speak. Hopefully we can get some kind of compensation.

I'm finding more spots with evidence of maybe mold so I'm being careful.

Most of our books have been damaged, but I am letting them dry out and may keep them.

Tomorrow, it's supposed to be brutally hot so being in the basement won't be a bad thing. I feel sorry for outdoor weddings tomorrow.

My next one is Aug. 1 - hope the weather is fine for them.

I am blown away with your energy, Angela! Good luck in the next few weeks as you approach your due date!

I'm jealous of all the great salads people are making with home grown produce!

Have a great Saturday, everyone! Stay cool!
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Just popping in for a quick hello!!

Avon, I hope everything dries up, wet basements are no fun and be careful breathing in any mold.I got bacterial pneumonia from cleaning up a major basement flood several years ago and it was not pleasant.

Thinking about the two pregnant gals!!! It is coming fast for the both of you, what a wonderful time in your lives.

Feel a flu coming on, my son is so sick with sore throat, chills, fever and I think I am getting it so off to bed and hope for the best. Geeesh that kid has the worst immune system ever .

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Andit, what do your critters think of all the excitement?
    JandC, I love the adventure of mixing the paint for your cottage.
    Thriftygranny, great to hear from you!
    Bobbiegirl, thanks for the info about the interest rate. I will have to check our LOC rates now too.
    DH got up early and connected the dehumidifier to the sump pump and put together the fan. Now he's watching golf from Scotland.
    It's 20X the points at SDM and no Tax day at RCSS. I wonder if I will get organized to get anything. Glucosamine Condroitin is on sale at SDM. Hmmm.
    Better get up and stop lolligagging.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning All,
    Bit of a slow start here today. Think this will be how the whole day will go. Just slowly working on things before the it gets too hot to even move. I have the laundry started in the basement, one great thing about having a basement is that this will not heat up the house, our previous house was a bungalow and when it got hot we just couldn't do laundry because of how hot the house would get. I have started to empty the dishwasher and will re load.

I have to figure out what we are going to do for dinner. Mom is working till 5 so dinner is up to me. I will have to see how hot it gets, if the weather network is right and it hits 37 degrees it will be too hot to even BBQ especially since our BBQ will be in full sun around dinner time. Maybe I will look up some night crock pot recipes, most things I make in the crock pot are what I consider heavier meals (stews, roasts, soups).

I have started to close up the house and have the fans going to keep the air circulating. Still hoping maybe just maybe it won't get as hot as they are saying, what can I say a girl can dream.

Have a great day everyone.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Good morning, everyone.

Happy Caturday!

Name:  P1080375.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  462.6 KB

Today is a busy day for us. So far, Lily dog & I have already spied on the neighbours, had breakfast with Quincy cat and scanned through the newspaper. In addition, I spent some time with the new neighbour kitty (I have babysitting duties this weekend) - she is an absolute doll (looks like Quincy's mini me ) - poor girl is recovering from a broken paw & is sporting a cute pink cast. Tonight I get to go see a dance show (part of Panamania), so should be fun. Tomorrow will be a do-nothing, stay in PJs kinda day. And spy on the athletes getting on the buses.

Off to play with the critters.

Hope everyone enjoys their day.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

After a busy week of Vacation Bible School, there is officially nothing on the calendar. We are now taking one day at a time and committing to no commitments for the time being. It has been a busy start to the summer with DH diving head first into church events and me taking over at home family responsibilities.

I finished rereading two books this week; I perused them during my first pregnancy and found very helpful: "Birthing from Within" and "Gentle Birthing Choices." I didn't read anything in prep for the second because everything was fresh in my mind!

The first book I used a lot of the pain techniques, but did not read the whole thing. This time I read the the whole book. I don't think I was ready for some of the life principles and ideas behind the book. I am glad I read the whole thing. With the extra monitoring and hope to birth at home, I have been afraid of being unsuccessful. I have had two successful natural births, hospital and home to measure against! I was very open to medical intervention, if needed with my previous births. I have since been feeling like anything that did not match up would be a failure. This book helped me come to terms with these fears: each birth is different and if the child is birthed from within, a success, including a Cesarean birth. I am feeling much more positive since reading.

The second book I read in entirety the first time and reviewed this time. It comes with a DVD of non-medical births. I watched it last night. I found being able to see and visualize a woman in labour helpful to my own. Again, after the second watching, I feel more prepared for what is to come.

This I know: Labour is hard work, I can't control it and it hurts. The end result will be a baby. The baby will change our lives.

Many people say as long as the baby is healthy...with a daughter with Celiac disease and a niece with Spina Bifida, I often have the internal retort as I am smiling and nodding, "nope, not even that will matter." Baby will be born and loved.

Thanks for letting me share my mental prep. Keep everyone posted...anytime in the next 3 weeks! I have resolved to the idea that by mid-August there will be a new family member...this is keeping the waiting anxiety at bay!
    Last edited by Granger; Sat, Jul 18th, 2015 at 11:16 AM.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Ok, I admit I stalked coupongirl. It’s a bit worrisome to see her offline so long & it has been since last Sunday ( I looked at her profile) . Let’s hope she is on some awesome vacation.
    Granger: good mental prep for the birthing. I was 36th with my second son and with three years in between it was like I forgot everything about child birth until the 1st contraction. Then I remembered how much it would hurt but as you said the end result was worth it. I delivered both with a midwife (same one both times) and I am a huge fan.
    I made it out yesterday for my FPC & tucked it away for lunch snacks. Now off for the real grocery shop.

Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Since prime rate dropped again, so did the interest on my student loan. I finished my teaching degree 4yrs ago and have managed to pay off 56.5% of the principal amount (paying the interest along the way). I have only had a full-time teaching contract for a total of 8 months out of this entire time.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Andit, i am not a huge cat person but I admire their beauty, Quincy is so cute.

Granger, well done on the mental prep for birthing, it goes so much easier when you can deal with your pain calmly and mentally.

Angela, great job paying down your student loan so quickly, it will be a load off when it is done!

Still fighting a sore throat but not feeling horrible, so lots of housework planned.Helped hubby trim the lilac bushes and haul branches to the dump. I am seriously thinking to put off anything else big around the house until fall, our summers are meant to be enjoyed and are way too short!!!
    Last edited by thriftygranny; Sat, Jul 18th, 2015 at 04:07 PM.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Granger, you are inspiring!

When I had our son, back in the olden days LOL, I had gone for an ultrasound on my due date - a Friday - and the OB was worried baby was too big at over 8 lbs, so an induction was scheduled for Monday.

What no one told me was how worse the contractions are when on a drip, so that was crazy. Was in labour all day, then the baby went into distress and I had to have an emergency c-section - they were so fast, I was in the operating room in 20 minutes. (would have been less, but wasted time taking off darned nail polish - now I tell all moms to be to not wear any, just in case)

All was fine, but it just goes to show anything can happen, as you said.

Well, Happy Caturday, everyone!

Ribs are boiling - oh, it smells SO good in here; will bbq then tomorrow. Splurged and bought back ribs at 8.80/kg - can't wait for them!
    Will make soup from the rib broth in the near future.

Have a great day, all!

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Well, I decided to get up at 7:30, turned over and slept until noon. The church next door was having a huge garage sale and by the time I got there, were cleaning up and offering things 20 items for $1.
    I got chatting with a very lovely lady who hauled a microwave stand on wheels across the field for me. I got a couple of other bookcases as well which will help me to organize my craft area and keep things off the floor in the basement.

Then I went out to SDM for 20X points day. I managed to get a couple of good deals and use some coupons. The cashier was very helpful.

I stopped into Recall as DH only drinks G2 (Diet Gahtorade) these days. They were the only ones with it on sale but no luck but she gave me a rain-check.

Then I pooped out and had to come home.

I walked the doggies, letting them walk on the neighbours' grass for once as it is UNBELIEVABLY hot out there.

Now DH is making supper and I will try to spend some time in the basement and start spooning up the dirt left behind. It's 2 inches thick in spots.

Gotta go! Enjoy your evening.

Page 26 of 49 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 ... LastLast

Thread Information